Sable Kitchen & Bar
505 North State Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Sable Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sablechicago.com/
- Phone: 3127559704x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday 3 pm – 2 am
Saturday, 11 am – 2 am
Sunday, 11 am – 12 midnight
Sunday- Wednesday, 5 pm – 10 pm
Thursday, 5 pm – 11 pm
Friday & Saturday, 5 pm – 12 midnight
Monday – Friday, 6:30 am – 10:30 am
Saturday & Sunday, 8 am – 2 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Heather Terhune
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The modern elegance of our boutique hotel continues throughout our meeting rooms. The Hotel Palomar Chicago offers the ideal space for all kinds of meetings and events, from off-site business meetings to social events to the most memorable of wedding parties. Uniquely stylish, our River North hotel provides 5800 square feet of meeting space in our flexible meeting rooms, accommodating up to 160 seated guests or 300 for a reception. Distinctive catering for our meeting rooms is provided by Heather Terhune of Sable Kitchen & Bar featuring a tailored menu of mouthwatering contemporary
- Entertainment: N/A
- Special Events: Each Wednesday Sable offers a flight of whiskeys that is connected through a common element, i.e. ingredient, style, location, etc, for $25 from 3:00PM - 11:00PM.
A word from Sable Kitchen & Bar
As a gastro-lounge, Sable Kitchen & Bar will do for hand-crafted cocktails, spirits and wine what the gastro-pub has done for beer: pairing seasonally-inspired cuisine with an artfully designed cocktail, spirits and wine program. Sable’s menu fuses traditional cooking techniques with a modern flair that seeks to highlight the harmony between cocktails, spirits, wine and cuisine. The bar menu will focus on snacks, medium sized plates and brick oven flatbreads while the dinner menu combines small, medium and large plates to encourage sampling and sharing. With a commitment to working with independent Midwest farmers and purveyors, the menu will draw inspiration from local and organic ingredients—everything from seasonal produce to free-range meats and sustainable seafood. A sleek and sexy space, Sable is a refreshing update on the glamour of the 1940’s, as old Hollywood charm mingles effortlessly with modern industrial touches and classic Chicago warmth.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sable Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (123)vibrant bar scene (74)hot spot (62)special occasion (54)romantic (38)good for groups (37)neighborhood gem (34)notable wine list (30)great for outdoor dining (22)late-night find (21)great for brunch (19)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good spot for small bitesFoodexplorerDined on 10/21/2014Would love to see more expansion of the menu. The menu on website should be updated. For dinner, many options were not on the menu that I expected, such as the salads. Deviled eggs were great. Chicken and waffles - amazing. Flatbread was nothing out of the ordinary. All in all a good spot for casual small bites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaurenGDined on 10/16/2014We sat in the back room so it was quieter but not as good of ambiance. Our waitress was just okay. The food was great. The bacon jam was excellent, the sliders were good, the shrimp curry was amazing. The butternut squash flatbread wasn't very good and wouldn't order again, too smokey.Special Features:
- great servicemaliaDined on 10/14/2014The menu and cocktail list are a little overwhelming but it shirt Audrey was so helpful. She asked us a few questions, made suggestions, paced out out our courses so we weren't overwhelmed. She made the experience incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/13/2014Read some great reviews and their website is well done. We were underwhelmed. Wouldn't make the choice to return. One of the guests in my party shared with the Manager that the mac and cheese was so salty that they couldn't eat it and he shrugged his shoulders and said, yeah, it's off the menu in 2 days. Sub standard customer service.
- Great foodSteveUKDined on 10/12/2014Food was great and very peculiar. Service a bit slow but nothing major. Love the idea of small sharing plates
- TerrificDebbVIPDined on 10/8/2014I went based on a recommendation and loved Sable. Our group ordered a bunch of dishes and shared in order to try a variety. Everything was delicious and we look forward to returning. By the way, the bartender is amazing!Special Features:
- Gluten Freedom, Gastronome DelightKlimtDined on 10/7/2014Incredible food, preparation, creations matched by knowledge of waitrons. A new friend and I in search of a leisurely, sublime meal with plenty of time for conversation. She required a gluten free meal and we were appreciative of Sable's sensitivity and preparation of delicious dishes. Figs, lamb, smoked trout--all innovative preparation, ingredients, and impeccable service. great cocktails! Our only annoyance was that we were seated in a small back section, which should have been great for the quiet and privacy of our conversation. But, a group of about a dozen occupied half of the room, having too good of a time and loud talking. Luckily, they left after about 15 minutes and our evening together got off to a simply smashing beginning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentsCanadianCommentsDined on 10/5/2014We chose this restaurant because of a high rating online, but were greatly disappointed. The entrance is away from the maitre d' making an awkward walk into the restaurant. The resturant boasts of inventive and excellent cocktails, although the ones we ordered were very bitter with absolutely no presentation. The menu was encouraging, although boring, and the food for the most part came out cold. Our server didn't know what was on the plates, but at least did go ask. Service started okay, but we were obviously near a table that was spending more money and received most of the areas attention, leaving us without food and dirty plates for at least 20 minutes while two tables away they had at least three staff. I would not recommend.
- fun flavorable findFoodForThoughtDined on 10/4/2014creative cocktail menu to start you off. Followed up by fabulous flatbread pizzas and dishes that evoke the best of Barcelona, Italy and Asia. Not to be missed if you are in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyhhwooDined on 10/4/2014Enjoyed anniversary dinner at Sable this weekend and loved the ambiance and food. Really appreciated the 1/2 and full portion options as it allowed us to try and share more menu offerings. Would easily recommend to friends and also stop back in next time we are in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulUrbanfoodieVIPDined on 10/1/2014Always have a wonderful experience at Sable. Great food and service. My go to place to take friends from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/1/2014We went for my husband's birthday, and I was very impressed! The food was delicious; the service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/28/2014Food has always been consistently excellent. Serving staff is very knowledgable and helpful in selecting appropriate Menue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014favorite to share with customers, great social foodie placeSpecial Features:
- Best meal I've eaten.brooownVIPDined on 9/28/2014Every place we ordered (and we ordered lots) was absolutely perfect. The deviled eggs were so good we had to get a second order. The chicken and waffles were the best we had ever had. And you have to get the strawberry rhubarb hand pie - mainly because the cream cheese ice cream is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sable Kitchen & Bar .. A+CarlosDined on 9/27/2014Visited this restaurant with my fiancée on a Saturday night. The ambiance was great, our server was very helpful and the food was out of this world. Definitely go for the half size plates. They are great to share and allow you to try so many things on the menu. Their Bacon Jam is phenomenal. Easily one of the best things I've ever eaten. The cocktail menu was expansive and the drinks we ordered were amazing. Sable is good for a romantic night out or a group dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Food Great, Restaurant MehSharonainWBDined on 9/27/2014We went here for a brunch on a Saturday. I really enjoyed their small/large plate menu style. We ordered three small plates (lobster roll, pork belly & egg sandwich, and a caramelized banana & apple waffle), along with a side of hash browns. Everything was delicious The waffle dish- WOW. I wouldn't say it's the best food we've ever had, but it was certainly a treat. As for the staff, our waitress was informative, attentive & gracious. The establishment itself -there was a baby shower party in the main dining area, so we were in a hall area of tables sitting by a window. The high ceilings made for considerable noise, it was chilly (glad we had some sun from the window), and overall not that great. Nice place, but not my favorite eatery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect little plates!MSBBQDined on 9/23/2014What a wonderful way to eat. Small plates that make your mouth smile! Fabulous service and fabulous food. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKittyDined on 9/21/2014Best Poutine ever! Everything is good and not commonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty & unique menu itemsKKWNYDined on 9/21/2014Great food. The chicken & waffles are to die for. We sat near the kitchen, and it seems everyone orders them. Big portions for the price. DELICIOUS. We had service issue, and manager comp'd one dish for us. Well done. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent small platesJG12VIPDined on 9/21/2014We shared three half portion dishes at brunch. All were very substantial and the combination was a very filling and delicious brunch for two persons that also came at a very reasonable cost. In particular the special of turkey confit was as wondeful as it was described. I'd return anytime for brunch.Special Features:
- Wonderful SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014We got a reservation here the day of our dining experience. When we got there, the place was lively and we were seated immediately. The menu was full of interesting dishes and I absolutely love that almost every dish had a full or half serving sizes for sharing. We got 6 delightful halves to share. Also, great cocktail list. The wine list was a little below expectations but the new manager that just arrived from Purple Pig assured he was working on it. Would definitely come again.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014My girlfriend and I went for dinner later on a Friday night-- the food really was delicious, and so was my margarita, but the service was just too slow. I would recommend this restaurant for the food, but be prepared to be patient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Completely SatisfiedMNHorseyDined on 9/19/2014Super creative menu with a combination of feel good, homey foods elevated to a gourmet level. Deviled eggs, sweet corn creme brûlée, and poutine are must-haves. The environment inside projects a chic modern feel without being snobbish. Exceptional service across the board. Give yourself time to peruse the entire drink menu as there is something to wet everyone's whistle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday SurprisePizzaVIPDined on 9/18/2014I called a day before our reservation because we were celebrating my friends birthday. We both love Sable and she hadn't been in a while. I just wanted to pre-order a dessert. When she arrived and was sat at the table, a box and card were waiting for her. It was a special cake mix boxed up from Chef Heather and a card signed by the staff wishing her happy birthday. All I asked was for them to send out a dessert and instead they went way above and beyond and got super creative. The food here is insanely good, but wow- the service- unparalleled.Special Features:
- Ok not greatCtfoodmanDined on 9/17/2014Service was good wine list hit the right bases and our appetizers were good but mains were not up to much. Had the lamb with Naan breads more like crisp breads. Last point was the ambience not sure what restaurant wants to be but felt menu didn't fit the location. Was like a night club selling a more farm to table fare didn't gel for me.Special Features:
- Great new findKevinDined on 9/14/2014Great food and excellent service are the stand out features of this restaurant. Foodies will love a different experience. I enjoyed the Charcurie board and the deviled eggs will not allow you to get bored with them ever again! Great wine list and bar drinks.Special Features:
- Great service but food was alrightMayurShenaDined on 9/12/2014Our waiter was amazing! Very patient, and checked up on us often! The appetizers were really great, but did not enjoy the main courses at all.Special Features:
- Small Plates!HungrymamaVIPDined on 9/10/2014Sample everything! My husband had only one full order: a superb beet salad with an assortment of beets! We split a really amazing series of dishes including grits with shrimp(!), lobster rolls (to die for, full of lobster meat), and an Indian lamb dish served with naan and cucumber relish. Great taste! Great contrasting flavors! The white wine was both delicious and reasonably priced. The only problem: we were too full for dessert. Next time.Special Features:
- Small bitesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014Menu small but small bites for the table are served, allowing you to taste many items. Very fresh vegetables with amazing flavors. A unique dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good evening, mixed views on foodbonlomDined on 9/2/2014Great bourbon bar with very helpful bartenders...friendly and knowledgable. Good selection of spirits. Okay seating...would have been better near kitchen or outside. Steak tartar was amazing...better than some we tried in Paris. Bacon jam had very little Brie taste. House made fettuccini was way too salty...overwhelming. Scallops had a lot of heat. Pork belly sliders were very good...best of all we tasted. Half servings were good size for two people sharing. Waitress insisted on rearranging our food choices...not sure why...would have preferred it our way.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Great food and atmosphere but somewhat small portions. The deviled eggs were to die forI would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014Restaurant completely empty yet we were rushed through our meal. Food on table before drinks that were ordered first? We also asked if we could have a drink at the bar first and was told must sit down, still empty when we left. Appetizers and main courses delicious, dessert really bad. Sorbet warm and mushy, chocolate, from night before and no flavor. Waitress had an attitude and never around to properly serve. Will not go back and only a block away from our apartment.
- Sable ReduxJackVIPDined on 8/29/2014Did a brunch here a year ago and it was great. Dinner ( small plates, dessert, drinks ) was excellent. I know restaurants make it on the Bar but $14 a pop seemed a tad high. Other than that I'll be backI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas, minor service issuesBridgetGDined on 8/28/2014Sable is perfect for tapas; the majority of the items are available in half-plates… perfect for sharing lots of choices! We loved the bacon dates (just 2 bites for the half), the bacon jam brie, and the curry. Our favorite plate was the charcuterie – spectacular down to the wee cucumber and edible flower. My husband was in heaven with the whiskey menu – 2 pages for rye whiskeys alone! The downfall was the service for drinks… painfully slow. The only other minor distraction was the overly-friendly floor manager, Josh. I enjoy a quick chat with restaurant staff. But when I look down at my plate more than once please finish your story and make an exit… I want to eat!Special Features:
- WineDownVIPDined on 8/21/2014Food was good, service was very very slow. It started off having to wait 15-20 min just for our waitress to come to our table and greet us. It was down hill from there.Special Features:
- Too Little for Too MuchMichaelCDined on 8/18/2014My boyfriend and I spent $50 on half-orders, per our server's recommendation. I believe we each left there with no more than ten bites of food a piece. This is not an exaggeration. We ended up going elsewhere for more food later in the evening. What we ate tasted pretty good, but the overall experience was terribly unsatisfying. Once our server realized that we were not drinking alcohol and were not ordering anything additional, we became dead last on her list of priorities. From the time we finished our food (I hesitate to call it a meal), it was about 15 minutes before she even bothered to return to our table. This was before 7:00 on a Monday evening. It was not even close to busy.Special Features:
- Fav Spot in ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014I lived in Chicago for 3 years and every time I am back in town for work I make sure to do Sable for brunch or dinner! Always amazing all around!Special Features:
- Always AmazingDiddyDined on 8/16/2014A wonderful Saturday night at Sable Kitchen. Every dish is better than the last. Some favorites are the Pea Shoot Salad, Deviled Eggs and the lamb. I would bring out of towners and feel confident that a great time would be had. The noise level is a bit loud but the food makes up for it!Special Features:
- Food was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Loved the concept and the food. Chicken and waffles were to die for. Cheese curds were also amazing. The war of the roses was the best cocktail we found in Chicago. Highly recommend for a fun night out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.