288, Laurier Ouest
Montreal, QC H2V2K2Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ryumtl.com/
- Phone: 5144396559x
- Hours of Operation:
VALET PARKING THU-SAT
Monday-Sunday 5pm till late
Take out available
CALL FOR RESERVATION
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Special Events: NEW CATERING NOW AVAILABLE
Please contact us for any special events 514.439.6559
A word from Ryu
Located on trendy Laurier Street West, RYU (隆, リュウ, Ryū “dragon”) is a contemporary Japanese cuisine and sushi bar restaurant. RYU combines Asian culinary traditions with freshly grown regional Quebec produce in signature creations. The RYU dining experience invites you to sample a variety of delectable dishes enhanced by an extensive list of wines, sakes and unique cocktails in a welcoming, chic, and intimate ambiance. A bold, enticing décor conceived by Montreal’s Huma Design makes the RYU experience a sumptuous feast for the senses for evening Epicureans. Ryu is more than a place to see; it’s a place to be seen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ryu reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (9)special occasion (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)romantic (2)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Fantastic food, but..MandersDined on 7/31/2014Our reservation was for 9:30 and we were not seated until well after 10pm. Our waiter was very nice and was doing his best, however he was clearly overwhelmed as he was the only server working on a busy Thursday night. Drinks took an excessively long time to make to our table. I think our poor server was also manning the bar and trying to train a new staff member at the same time. He definitely needed more help/staff. The food, on the other hand - was fantastic. Every dish that we ordered was wonderful and came out very quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodCBBBVIPDined on 7/19/2014I have been to Ryu 2 times and every time I enjoyed being there. Good food and good service. I love the caramelized fries and the tuna carpaccio! Plus they adapted my orders to gluten-free :)Special Features:
- Good food... Not too good serviceFoodforlife3Dined on 7/18/2014So we got there, waiter was ok, took our drink order (all came at different times) then the food, it all came out in a timely mater... Then once we had finished eating, nothing, never came back to ask if we wanted other drinks ( they were long finished by the end of the food) coffee or desert, we had to run after him to get the bill and then he was in a hurry to get paid... Witch was disappointing, if you pay that much for a nice dinner, nice service is expected...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always A+AfroditiVIPDined on 5/30/2014We love coming here, that's why it was a no brainer to do my birthday here the only down fall is, we purposely didn't bring our own cake, because we wanted the fried ice cream ... and when it was time, they told us the kitchen was closed, as it was too late... but overall the experience was good. Our server was great, he gave us some of his favorite rolls to try.. Ask for Ricky! he is always great pleasure to be served by! try the Club, the Tsunami & the spicy tuna on rice cakes ...Special Features:
- TERRIBLE EXPERIENCEOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014Terrible dining experience. 8:16 got our bottle of sake and edamame..9:25, none of the other appetizers nor sushi platters had shown up, no follow up and consistent "be right back"... I asked for my bill, and left... Heard good things of this place, but this is inexcusable... Was offered the bottle and edamame on the house, not a consolation prize buddy... Sorry...
- The following 125 reviews are from the Ryu reviews archive.
- Gone downOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014I've been to this resto several times over the last 3 years. Unfortunately, the quality of the food has gone down significantly recently. I really hope they get this figured out as it was one of my favourite sushi shops in Montreal.
- ryu always a winner!!!!luvtryingnewrestosDined on 3/29/2014our 4th or 5th time we have been there alone & a couple of the times with others food & service are always great my only complaint is the $12 valet charge.....makes for an expensive evening!!!!Special Features:
- Fresh twist -- pleasantly surprisedKarinavoreVIPDined on 2/1/2014Not sure what to expect -- were we going out for sushi or something different? Ended up being a bit of both and a nice evening out. Appreciated the creativity and freshness of most of the plates -- the Club Ryu was fun, some very nice rolls -- the eel with lime, the Hattori Hanzo (with popcorn shrimp!) Karate Kick (with Tuna tataki) was excellent. Finished off with Warm Seafood Toban Yaki (kind of a bouillabase a la nipponese) and a few carafes of sake and all was good with the world. Room was young an vibrant -- and the service we had was excellent and some personal attention from the manager. Great night out -- we would be back. Recommend some larger carafes of warm sake at reasonable price, would be an appreciated improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very originalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2014The food was very original and tasty. I would returnSpecial Features:
- The food and service was outstandinOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/1/2014The food and service was outstanding; the maike rolls were unlike any we ever had before. The server was very helpful in making our selection. My son dos not sushi and he had the bavette and it was phenomenal, even betetr that at a steak house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited for others to try before me.Luv2dine2Dined on 1/30/2014Food and service was great and friendly and very pro. Great place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi was excellent! Definitelymaria1029Dined on 1/24/2014Sushi was excellent! Definitely recommend the Club RYU and Popcorn Rock Shrimp as AppetizersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time, great experiencemtlfoodVIPDined on 12/18/2013Loved every part of our meal at RYU. Wine,sushi and dishes were all fantastic. Will be back soon to try the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the problem was not RYU, itmarioDined on 12/10/2013the problem was not RYU, it was Open Table, i ask for Japanese restaurant and you send me to Ryu wich is I don't know?
- Good Apetizers, Average sushisRamsisnutellaVIPDined on 12/6/2013The appetizers were delicious! The maki rolls were disappointing, trying to overcomplicate it and too much fusion you don't taste the fish.Special Features:
- Superbe expérienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/6/2013Nous avons beaucoup aimé notre première expérience au Ryu. Le service est très efficace et le personnel très sympathique. C'est un peu bruyant, je ne recommanderais pas pour un souper romantique. La nourriture d'une grande fraicheur tout ce que nous avons mangé étaient très gouteux. Je vous le recommande fortement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2013The waiter was very helpful picking out our sushi and drinks, will go back with friends again soon!Special Features:
- Deliciousneggy123Dined on 11/15/2013Went with my family for my birthday and I have to say everything was perfect. Waitress was super nice, food came out in great intervals, and the food was just prefect. The manager came to our table after to ask how our meal was which was really nice. I will for sure be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi but...RiriVIPDined on 11/2/2013The sushi was great and creative. Nicely presented and good selection since very accomodating for modifications for dietary restrictions. Two buts: 1-service was very slow on a saturday night. 2- the manager made sure to advise us that the table was only reserved for 2 hours, only a few hours prior to the reservation, not giving us much of a choice to change our reservations for another more lenient restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodAudreyVIPDined on 10/31/2013I loved the place. The decor is beautiful and the food is just simply amazing. I would only improve the service a bit ; our waitress was kinda weird and it's the second time I notice it. But overall, it is an extraordinary place that I recommended several times before and will again.Special Features:
- veeery tasty! amazing flavors. AlsoTinbitDined on 10/25/2013veeery tasty! amazing flavors. Also very happening, the place was full when we left. Great spot to hit before going out :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic every timemtlfoodVIPDined on 10/19/2013Love this place, great food, service and ambiance. Have the daily cocktail to start, speak to Jeremie or david concerning the wines they have some great selections. Black cod and beef tataki and carpaccio are a mustSpecial Features:
- Best Sushi!CathyIDined on 10/12/2013Ryu must have the best sushi I've had in a long time. The tuna on crispy rice was delicious. I strongly recommend the LOTUS, the TAKERU and the HATTORI. The TAO was excellent too! I can't wait to go back! One big plus was also the valet parking.... I didn't have to break my head looking for parking!! What more can you ask for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chic spot!AndraDined on 10/5/2013My only complain about the good was the Asian pear salad. The Asian pear was lost in the huge appetizer plate of lettuce. Too many lettuce and too finely sliced Asian pears!! Not what I was expecting!! Really nice place- clean and good borne but my only complaint is that it is way too loud! It's a small place so not the best spot to catch up with friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service not so muchmtlgirl99Dined on 9/11/2013I had been looking forward to trying RYU for a few months, so when an out-of-town friend asked where we should go for dinner, RYU was my first choice. The maitre d'hotel seated us quickly but then ... vaporized. The waiters were well-intentioned but unskilled, and the food - which was really very good - paled in the face of forgetful or nonexistent service. I noticed the owner looking at food that was ready to be served on the pass (between the kitchen and the restaurant), and leaving it there - while tables were clamouring for their meals, or their drinks... Not cool. While the food was definitely first class, the service was below second rate. I will not go back.Special Features:
- Good Food bad Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2013So I really love this place, been a couple of times and i find it is one of the best Sushi places I have been to in Montreal. I was very disappointed this time though by the way we got treated at the end. We ordered a specific sushi on the menu that was priced at 10$ and on our bill they charged us 15$. Well one of us realized getting the bill and we told our waitress. She came back saying the boss says its 15$ so we said that isn't really acceptable since the menu says otherwise. She ended up coming back handing us our new bills with the right price but no sorry or nothing. She didn't say anything. The manger didn't come say sorry either he just watched us leave after. The food is great however but service this time was disappointing.Special Features:
- Sushi heaven!MaiteDined on 9/5/2013THE best sushi I have ever eaten. Great service by our knowledgeable waitress Sarah, who made wonderful recommendations on both food and wine. My first and definitely not last visit there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ryu Rocks!!!luvtryingnewrestosDined on 8/24/2013I have been hearing fabulous reviews about Ryu. Finally got to see for myself what it was all about!!! It is a pretty small place & they pack the tables & people in. There were so many choices. As the plates are small we were able to try 5 items from the menu & they were all outstanding. My only complaint was that it was a long wait until the 1st plate arrived but after that they all came one after the other. Would go back in a heartbeat!!!! Definitely worth the wait & the price!!!Special Features:
- Hip and yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2013Original and mouth-watering sushi served in a very cool ambience with well-versed and attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RYU food feedbackOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2013LOved the chicken salad and carpaccio appetizer and pop shrimp. Surf and turf and other dishes very tasty, ( sorry can't remeber 2 others )however, when combining our three mains, a little rich. Enjoyed the meal tons, great service. Were there on a Monday so maybe not quite typical as it was quiet. would probably order one or two more traditional maki. One order of filet was great.Special Features:
- les meilleurs sushi au QuebecyangeeDined on 8/17/2013Je suis un amateur de sushi et je suis parti de Quebec pour aller a se resto car j'avais entendu dire que les sushis etaient vraiment bon et c'est plus que le cas....ils sont vraiment incroyable selon moi les meilleurs au quebec tout amateur de sushi doit y allerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved my experience at Ryu TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2013Loved my experience at Ryu The black cod dish is my favorite in the city. Rolls are creative and deliscious. The vibe and service was on point. Will return soon. Must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi!jsweetDined on 8/14/2013The sushi at this restaurant tasted great and the presentation was very unique. I enjoyed eating here and will definitely visit again. We ordered a bit too much and were not advised by our waiter that it was too much, which is what he did do for the others in our party. The service could have been better as the waiter seemed uninterested in serving us. But, all in all, it was a pleasant experience with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boo hoo RyuMia5Dined on 8/2/2013The food was outstanding, there's nothing to be said about that. The service however was a completely different story... We had to wait about 20 minutes before being served, and about another 20 minutes before getting our drinks. As if that wasn't bad enough, we had to wait yet again for our food to come. The least that could have been done was to give something on the house, you would think??? To top off our evening, the valet lost our friend's car keys. You would think he would have felt bad or whatnot, instead he was giggling and being non chalant. This was sooooo unacceptable. Based on our overall experience, I can't recommend this resto. It's really too bad because the food was really excellent. So fresh and creative.Special Features:
- Some plates awesome, some so-soFoodieGirlDined on 7/19/2013I would definitely go back for the hot and cold plates. Their rock shrimp is to die for! However I'd skip the sushi rolls. We were 4 people and we each ordered a different sushi roll, and they were just okay, waste of money really. Nothing to drool over. The appetizer called Spicy Tuna on Rice Cake was honestly the best I've ever tried, so be very selective!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The serviceBEKSDined on 7/12/2013Service was very unorganized. As my friend got her sushi way ahead of me and I was waiting quite a while to receive my food. As well as the service was very fast I felt rushed.Special Features:
- What a meal and nightmtlfoodVIPDined on 7/4/2013Went to Ryu with some friends after hearing about it and we were blown away. Service was meticulous, they had a fantastic white wine card and the cocktails we had to start of the night were delicious. The highlight was the food sushi rolls had less rice and more delicate you can taste the ingredients. Black cod, half lobster and the mushroom dish were to die for. Gets a bit louder after 10 but we enjoyed the music they were playing and the ambiance was great, cant wait to go back.Special Features:
- Would recommendmimiVIPDined on 6/30/2013We really enjoyed Ryu. Cocktails were interesting (the special Mojito was fantastic). Try the shrimp starter and Tsunami sushi - so good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place is nice and modern.Luv2tryDined on 6/23/2013The place is nice and modern. The food was excellent at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and delicious!DingdangVIPDined on 6/13/2013Every time I have eaten at Ryu I have not been disappointed. The food is amazingly good and beautifully presented. Mouthwatering sushi and sashimi served with pizazz and flare. The only draw back is the noise level. So many hard surfaces in this place make it difficult to enjoy conversation. Many young people in groups abound making the noise level even louder. Small sacrifice for top notch food .Special Features: