46 Gansevoort Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ryunyc.com/
- Phone: 2127761446
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Wednesday: 6:00pm- 12:00am, Thursday-Saturday: 6:00pm - 1:00am, with bar service until 2:00am;
DJ Thursday-Sunday: 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Chris Whaley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: RYU’s Japanese-inspired small plates menu offers a taste of something for everyone, with dishes arranged by “Snacks”, “Skewered”, “Tempura”, “Raw” and “Mains”. Menu highlights include Kona Kampachi Tartare, Hokkaido Scallop, Tsukune Yakitori, Seared Big Eye Tuna, and a Wagyu Rib Eye for two.
- Private Party Contact: Events Manager 2127761446
A word from Ryu
RYU’s Japanese-inspired small plates menu offers a taste of something for everyone, with dishes arranged by “Snacks”, “Skewered”, “Tempura”, “Raw” and “Mains”. Menu highlights include Kona Kampachi Tartare, Hokkaido Scallop, Tsukune Yakitori, Seared Big Eye Tuna, and a Wagyu Rib Eye for two. To complement the cuisine, try one of RYU’s creative cocktails, incorporating Japanese herbs, spices, juices and imbibes. RYU’s chic and seductive design, which includes Japanese street art, body art and yakuza imagery, provides an intimate dining experience. With cozy circular booths covered in gold-hued leather and an inviting bar, guests will enjoy an edgy, sleek and seductive vibe. RYU’s unique design concepts create the exquisite opulence and air of exclusivity that promises to make any night memorable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ryu reviews from OpenTable diners
- hostess would ask people alreadyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/27/2012hostess would ask people already sitting to move tables to accommodate new guests
- Went to celebrate my 2 yearOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2012Went to celebrate my 2 year anniversary. We were late for our reservation by over an hour, yet we were still greeted with a smile and we were sat rather quickly. Food was interesting, and quite creative. Sharing the dishes was so much fun. Service was very good as well. Definitely a scene as there were plenty of attractive people and the music gave a nightclub feel to the place. I will definitely go back and bring friends!!!Special Features:
- Disappointing and very rudeNyDinerVIPDined on 10/27/2012Sadly this restaurant is not one we would visit a second time. The hostess was exceptionally surly and although we had a booking and the restaurant was empty when we arrived, she made us feel unwelcome placing us at a table behind a wall. The restaurant was 60% empty when we left which implied that her conduct was meant to impress upon us how lucky we were to have had a table at all. The food was fair and the waiters were very polite. We realized they had overcharged us for the wine by a few dollar as we were leaving but the managers at the front of the restaurant seemed to be annoyed that we told them about it. I would strongly discourage your followers from visiting this location.
- Got a reservation for 945pmOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012Got a reservation for 945pm on a Saturday. We came 5 minutes early and the host told us to wait at the bar. We waited for an hour without complaining. We finally went to the host and she told us that we came late and she put someone ahead of us? I didn't know putting someone ahead of you made you wait an hour. Is coming 5 min early late even though I confirmed the reservation over the phone? Horrible experience.Special Features:
- Nothing fancy. Nothing spectacular.mariela422VIPDined on 10/14/2012Nothing fancy. Nothing spectacular. The Edammame and the Filet Mignon were great. Service was ok. Only 2 tables occupied and still had to wait for drinks. I don't think we will be back.
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/13/2012They ran out of the most staple asian dishes when i was there! Edamame and ALL rolls!!! Food that i was able to order was good but very small portions! I left hungry.
- Amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012The food was amazing. Drinks were great! I had the wild salmon and it was cooked perfect and was delicious!Special Features:
- Long wait for food. We orderedErikaDined on 10/6/2012Long wait for food. We ordered small plates and they came out in random order. Not enough flavor.
- Roasted edamame with limeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/27/2012Roasted edamame with lime and sea salt was a nice complimentary starter Shared the Chilled lobster soba - soba noodles, herbs, radish, ginger-soy vinaigrette Rock shrimp tempura is excellent Grilled Bok Choy Skewers with soy-honey glaze and roasted lemon were goodSpecial Features:
- Worth visiting on our tour!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2012Food was great, service was even better. Cool decor and drinks were delicious!Special Features:
- The cuisine is really lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/18/2012The cuisine is really lovely -- both interesting and scrumptious. It's character and quality are rather at odds with the pulsating club music that may be quintessential meatpacking district fare but is an irritating distraction from the food. The interior decor, though comfortable, is a bit more downscale than the kitchen merits... a bit too lounge-y, which probably wouldn't have been worth mentioning if it wasn't paired with the music. The majority of the alcohol prices are simply too high.Special Features:
- Good location, nice set up,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2012Good location, nice set up, service from the staff was excellent however the menu was limited and the portions only very small.
- Marginal foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2012The food portions were very small for the price. Entrees were more like appetizers. Food was marginal at best. Skip this place
- I had the tasting menu andDinnerVIPDined on 9/14/2012I had the tasting menu and wasn't crazy about it. Maybe if I had ordered more specific dishes to my liking I would have enjoyed it more. Otherwise, the service was great as well as the atmosphere.Special Features:
- amazeballs!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2012Had dinner here with two girlfriends this weekend. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and was patient with us despite or indecision about what to order. Our drinks were amazing, "The Gee Street" and the "Soigne West" were well prepared and different from what we'd had before. We were a bit disappointed that they were out of the ingredients for the two drinks we originally ordered : -( but satisfied with what we had nonetheless. We ordered the roasted edamame which was also very unique in its preparation but delicious. Entrées were bronzino, Miso salmon and filet mignon, all equally tasty. Dessert was OK, we ordered the bignets. Meh, tasty but probably wouldn't order them again. Overall a great experience and will return.Special Features:
- Ryu is definetly the placeDenisVIPDined on 9/7/2012Ryu is definetly the place if you wanna go to restaurant/night club!My wife and I had our 5th year anniversary there and it was absolutely amazing.Even though portions size were small,by ordering few different items from the menu gets you filled.Dj in the house made atmospher live and energetic.We had best of both worlds:food and music!There was no need to go to a club afterwards.One could dance right there,and that was what other people were doing.We had a fun and good time.Def will go there again and I recommend it to others!!!Special Features:
- Our reservation was for 10,SwetaVIPDined on 9/7/2012Our reservation was for 10, but we weren't seated until 10.30. The place is so small that it would likely do better primarily as a bar. The food was very average, but the atmosphere picked up with the DJ/music close to midnight.Special Features:
- Fun Girls Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/6/2012I wasn't sure what to expect due to the mixed reviews online. Thankfully i didn't listen and tried it out for myself. I was there with a group of girlfriends for a night out. The Japanese small plate concept is great for a group and trying different dishes. The portions were a little small but it IS tapas style and was enough for 5 people. We ordered a bunch of things and each dish was very tasty. Furthermore i have to compliment the staff. They were so friendly and really created a fun, welcoming atmosphere. We had a great time and will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Have to improve on Food. DecorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2012Have to improve on Food. Decor is Excellent so is the atmosphere. A good place to go get a drink. Live dj.Special Features:
- The bar is beautiful withOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/31/2012The bar is beautiful with great drinks, nice people, delicious food and good price. But, it's not sushi bar, there are no options of raw fish, plus a Tuna Tartar.Special Features:
- Ryu needs to add Tapas to its nameOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012I thInk first off, Ryu should make it known this is Asian style Tapas. Simply saying Japanese gives an incorrect impression of what to expect. All menu its are small plates, so if your expecting a full entree you will be in for quite a surprise. That said I love tapas style, and the food is delicious. However expect to pay very high prices for what you are getting. The other surprise was we made reservations 2 weeks in advance and tried to change the time but was not allowed to, but yet throughout dinner the place was almost completely empty except for a couple tables. Would I go back, No. Would I recommend, yes if you bring a thick wallet.Special Features:
- Keep front doors open, asOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2012Keep front doors open, as the restaurant appears to be closed.Special Features:
- The restaurant overall wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012The restaurant overall was good! The food was not my favorite but the service was excellent! My waiter and Mo mad the experience 10X better! Since my friend and I were not from the area, they both gave us a list of hot spots. By the end of the night, we were so happy to have gone to RYU! But please, do change the food!Special Features:
- Portions are very small andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2012Portions are very small and expensive. Won't go back. Service was great.
- The food was over priced andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2012The food was over priced and over rated. Whilst the music was was great it was so loud it was like being in a nightclub where we had to scream at each other to talk. Only had two dishes that were considered good the rest were very averageSpecial Features:
- The restaurant is very smallnyshoeloverDined on 8/8/2012The restaurant is very small but it was also basically empty when we had dinner. It is fairly trendy and I did enjoy the decor for the most part. The food was actually very tasty but the portions were super small, which made me feel that it was over priced. I went with a gilt city voucher for a 4 course tasting menu and we left hungry. We chose not to order anything else because there really isn't a large selection of food, plus all the portions were so tiny. Our bill had we not had the voucher would have been around $125. I don't mind spending the dough as long as I can leave satisfied.
- Although the restaurant itselfOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2012Although the restaurant itself is stylish with a great scenery in a great location. I will not go again or recommend this restaurant to any of my friends. Food portion is entirely to small. This place is fit for the anorexic people that do not enjoy eating. The drinks are almost as,much as the food and the cups are,to small. If someone is hungry and needs a full meal this isn't the place to go. It should be labeled a snack bar.
- What a surprise that a celebOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/5/2012What a surprise that a celeb restaurant would have such amazing food and wonderful waitstaff. I have food allergies and they were so accomodating. Must go hereSpecial Features:
- i went for my anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012i went for my anniversary and found the place to be very energetic and vibrant, yet small. i enjoyed there twist on edamame and the bar drinks were great! the seats were comfortable but the place was hot! they put the a/c on and it made a difference. for dinner i had the chicken and my wife the fish. both were dissapointing. we left hungry and probably not returning. they compt my wifes meal and that was nice. manhattan has too many more restaurants to see. we probably wont be returning.Special Features:
- My experience was unforgettable.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2012My experience was unforgettable. The food was terrible. The ambiance was club/late hours of the bar. I would never go there ever again. It is classified as Asian Cuisine, yet they sell beef sliders and chicken meatballs. There was no sushi, and the food again was so bad. I couldn't even finish my "snack" portion. I wouldn't write this bad of a review for McDonald's because at least there I can finish my happy meal and the service is fast. There are too many good restaurants in te meat packing district and Ryu is not one of them.
- Amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2012After reading all the reviews I was worried... But the RYU experience was really amazing ! It's true that the food is quite expensive but not that much. Best thing is to take 2 or 3 dishes and share it with your girlfriend/boyfriend, is romantic and the food is really outstanding. The service was great, not on us all the time but here when we needed him, perfect. Don't forget to try the desserts... They're new and taste really good ! Will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Ryu was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2012The staff was amazingly friendly, responsive, accomodating and fun. We did the 7-course tasting menu and every item was first rate, fresh, interesting and delicious. The chef readily accomodated special food requests. The music is varied and would suit many tastes.Special Features:
- Excellent service. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/24/2012Excellent service. Food was tasty. A bit over priced for such small portions. Pork Sliders and Roasted Edamamme were great. I would go back but only with a corporate card.Special Features:
- Don't botherOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2012The food was good but I have to say I was disappointed. There wasn't a lot of choice and the atmosphere was just okay. It was disappointing to find all the other restaurants iSight around it hopping and this one felt stiff and boring
- Both my husband and I wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2012Both my husband and I were pleasantly surprised by how wonderful of a restaurant Ryu was. The food was ABSOLUTELY delicious! Of all of the restaurants that we tried while in NYC Ryu was our favorite!Special Features:
- Went to Ryu with friends afterSteimali2VIPDined on 7/17/2012Went to Ryu with friends after work. The place was empty. Wanted to walk out after looking at the menu. The prices were high and the offerings were limited. Stayed to try it out, and give it the benefit of the doubt. The food was mediocre. The atmosphere was just okay. It was very expensive. The service was great, though.Special Features:
- Food and cocktails were amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2012Food and cocktails were amazing! Our waiter was awesome!Special Features:
- Good service, pretty good food -AdamVIPDined on 7/7/2012First time here - Trendy neighborhood and trendy possibilities at Ryu - Ordered a 7 course chef's tasting menu. Food was good - but pricey. Wagyhu beef was very good as was dessert. Chicken was so-so, soba was non-remarkable, Service was excellent. Think this will do better as late night club than restaurant given location. Decor was 1960's sake bar chic with yellow leather as main theme. 5 circular booths, several 2-4 person tables and a semi private room in back and a bar I wish I had more time to enjoy. Conclusion - tough to compete in NYC with this, but enjoyable food and good service make it worth a shot.Special Features:
- Outstanding ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2012My children recommended RYU. We were first the appointment on a week night and loved the experience. The menu provided variety and the server explained clearly that the meals were designed as 'plates' to try and recommended we order main meals and consider plates for the table. My son had his 'favorite' meal ever which included the chicken skewers. The shrimp was possibly the best shrimp I have ever tasted! The staff provided excellent service, the wine was smooth, and our overall experience was outstanding. I would highly recommend RYU and we will definitely return when we are in New York again.Special Features:
- We came here as a friend recommendeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2012We came here as a friend recommended it because of Scott and we loveeeeeeed it!!!!!!!!Special Features: