900 E. Market Street
Louisville, KY 40206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ryeonmarket.com/
- Phone: 5027496200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Tyler Morris
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We specialize in off-site catering. From intimate dinner parties to a pig roast for all your friends and family, our team will be thrilled to pull off any party you can imagine.
- Private Party Facilities: The upstairs event space at RYE offers an intimate venue for a variety of events
- Private Party Contact: Erin Macdonald 5027496200x
A word from Rye
At RYE, we believe food should be approachable yet challenging. Something that pushes the senses and comforts the soul. Founded on the conviction that our most valued social experiences are created around foodContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Rye reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)special occasion (26)hot spot (26)neighborhood gem (25)vibrant bar scene (20)romantic (17)good for groups (15)great for outdoor dining (12)notable wine list (8)late-night find (4)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- I highly recommend Rye!Nudge513Dined on 10/17/2014My family and I were visiting Louisville from Chicago. We found Rye online when searching for a great mixology spot. Can't get enough bourbon ;) Not only were the drinks great, but the food far exceeded our expectations. We've added Rye to our go-to list the next time we're in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RyeCbizDined on 10/8/2014As a first time diner I noticed that they have an excellent selection of house cured and smoked meats, making the meat plate a must! For an entree I had the seared blue marlin which could not have been better. I highly recommend rye for anyone that is looking for a great meal in a more reserved downtown setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, always different & newBBNYPAKYVIPDined on 10/6/2014This is one of Louisville's best restaurants, with wonderful (mostly local, I think) and fresh food, the menu seems to change daily based on what was procured. Everything is wonderfully prepared in an open kitchen you can see. I've had a couple of different kale salads which were unexpected and fabulous, the meat tray was richer than it looked and I could barely finish it. Small plates, cheeses, salads & soups, entrees, everything feels new, like the recipe was conjured just for that day and those ingredients. And then there is the bar with its specialty cocktails (which also change regularly). Service is almost always personable beyond necessity and watchful. My only complaint would be that it is loud even when not very busy. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Rare GemFoodiegalDined on 10/5/2014From the moment you tsep in, you feel instantly at home, A late Sunday night dinner consisted of roasted delicata squash, an amazing carrot soup, Wellfleet oysters and an artful cheese plate rounded out nicely by some fine beers and bourbon drinks. Somehow, the food is memorable but the atmosphere down home and downright fun. Rye does it right and the staff could not be more warm and welcoming. The staff is also knowledgeable but without a hint of pretense. Great find!Special Features:
- Great but freezing...DLF3Dined on 9/19/2014Overall good experience withe the exception of the temperature. The food was excellent, the service was great but we were freezing the whole timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!reviewDined on 9/15/2014Our investment club was celebrating a special occasion with a Limo ride to the restaurant. We actually live in Elizabethtown so we had a little bit of journey. We had to call and change our reservations because we were running 30 minutes late. The restaurant and employees were very accomodating with our change and made us feel very welcome. Our server was excellent! The food was outstanding which made for a perfect evening with great friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and Wonderful FoodMarkInLouisvilleDined on 9/4/2014This chef creates fabulous food combinations. Everything is wonderful. It feels like a trendy San Francisco restaurant and could compete with the best of them. Also, try some of their cocktail creations... very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rye was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014I was in town from Seattle on business and found Rye on Eater's essential 18. I was blown away. The food was excellent, drinks were creative and the guest cocktails were something really special. I didn't know that Louisville had a world class restaurant scene, but this was on par with our best restaurants back home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I came for my daughter's anniversary but unfortunately, the table we were seated at was so loud we couldnt hear each other talk and had to yell all night. Wish we had been seated outside. Or somewhere quieter. Food and service was great with the exception of the kale/pumpkin thing. I thought it sounded good but it tasted too bland and raw for me. Rye does soups the best and the watermelon gazpacho was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodkingslookDined on 8/31/2014As expected the food was top notch. Service was great. As per other reviews though, the noise level was high. Will still go back many times and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ryelbjgarnerDined on 8/23/2014As I've found in past visits, Rye is a very noisy restaurant. The service was superb and my drink was excellent. The dressing on the Bibb Salad was too salty. The Carbonara was okay, but nothing special, not better than what I make at home. The pork belly in the Carbonara was tough.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We loved the atmosphere, service was great, food was outstanding!!! We will go again and recommend to others!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeartwileyDined on 8/16/2014Fantastic service, great drinks, and delicious food. Always a great experience!Special Features:
- Great treat for guestsHerndonDined on 8/15/2014I had guests visiting from Atlanta - so used to some pretty innovative restaurants. Rye did Louisville proud. Everything was delicious. Our server was attentive and patient (we were not in a hurry and lingered). The only issue was it was a little loudSpecial Features:
- Awesome food!ReviewDined on 8/13/2014You must try Rye. Great food and nice atmosphere. Can be casual or night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014food and service was excellent, but over-priced. Vegetable options were limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beloved's BirthdayloveydoveyDined on 8/9/2014What a great meal... great service. Only down side was some of the PGA related clientele. Price of having a good reputation. At a certain part of the evening we stopped being able to hear one another. The meals were perfect and well paced. Cocktails were to die for. Rye is a favorite.Special Features:
- Favorite spot in townVCL3Dined on 7/25/2014We have been to rye a dozen times, and the while the meals are always great, surprisingly it's better every time we go. The menu changes frequently (daily/weekly) and the style draws on a global spice rack/ pantry. I can't believe it's not the hardest reservation in town to get. In addition to the food, cocktails also shine and are seasonal as well. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved dinnerCarolmwDined on 7/25/2014Dinner was great. Everyone in our party loved their meal. Beer selection was good.Special Features:
- Doesn't disappoint.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014We enjoyed our second visit to Rye. The menu was completely different than our last time dining there 6 months ago. Everything was still delicious and service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favoriteBeckyDined on 7/4/2014This place is amazing - from the melt-in-your-mouth rolls to the fresh, one-of-a-kind entrees. I am always bummed when I take the last bite! :) The service is friendly and attentive. I will go back again and again...LOVE IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great facility and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014The facility is very upscale, and the service excellent. We found the food difficult. They need another entree, perhaps chicken instead of quail, and a beef entree would be good.What they had was good, but just not the variety or quantity to feel fully satisfied.
- boxhillDined on 6/26/2014Dinner was great, service great, but a little noisy for my tasteSpecial Features:
- Great Food, NoisyCardsdaddyDined on 6/25/2014The food is great, which is, of course, the most important thing. The portions are small, but very well prepared and creative. You have to ask for ICE water; otherwise, you get warm tap water in a bottle for the table. My only serious gripe is the crushing noise level. It is almost impossible to have a conversation without raising your voice. They need to add some sound-deadening materials in the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 138 reviews are from the Rye reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/11/2014The food was good, but it seemed overpriced, especially the wine list.
- Might be our favorite...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014We love Rye. It is one of our favorite spots. This last experience was no different. I had the "Dr. Forester's Last Words" cocktail and it was wonderful. My thanks to the staff for graciously moving us out from under an AC vent that was working very well. Our server was excellent and the skill behind the bar and behind the line speaks for itself. The scallops were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Delectable Dinnerslick1203Dined on 6/1/2014We visited late on a Sunday night and was the only table seated in the dining room so it was quiet. The service was excellent and the food was perfection. We ordered two cocktails that were a little overdone, the flavors of the liquors were too masked, but it was in there. We had the kale and radish salad, pork loin, cauliflower, squash and zucchini, and the fresh mint ice cream was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/31/2014RYE is a good choice. The food is great and different, very fresh (we saw them pick some mint & basil) right from the garden beside us on the patio. Inside is sleek and vibrant definitely worth a try. Love the kale salad and the Hawaiian nigiari!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceItallaboutpresentationDined on 5/17/2014Enjoyed our late dinner at Rye. The reception was very welcoming and they were so accommodating to our ever changing reservation. The food was excellent and it is important to get there at an early hour as they sold out of some very tempting dishes. However, we enjoyed our experience. Would high recommend it. Our server Luke and the hostesses were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rye Deserves High MarksKwhurs01Dined on 5/16/2014Everything was done nearly perfectly. Waiters were able to accurately describe dishes and drinks accurately. Homemade ice cream sandwich is best I've ever eaten by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggies beware!highlandschickDined on 5/10/2014Beautiful restaurant, wonderful service and admirable commitment to local/seasonal foods. No vegetarian entrees, so the three veggies in our party had to make do with lots of side items. They were yummy but we had to stop for pizza on the way home since we were still hungry! Fat Elvis dessert was delish but odd-looking. Eating in bar area was VERY loud and we couldn't really hear each other. Main dining area was much less loud (we realized when walking thru on way to restroom). I'm sure if you are looking for meat-based dishes Rye will leave you happy, but if you are looking for veg meals, you're much better off at Harvest or Mayan Cafe.Special Features:
- Too hip for its own good?RainySeasonDined on 5/10/2014This was our second visit and may well be our last. The food is excellent, but.... Our hipster server was bossy-- she actually grabbed a fork out of my guest's hand when she decided it was time to clear our table! The noise level is painfully obnoxious. We went elsewhere for drinks and desserts as we couldn't stand the racket and actually wanted to talk to each other.Special Features:
- Nothing Wrong with RYETEDEYEMANDined on 5/7/2014We had a 7pm dinner for a party of four on a Wednesday evening. There were maybe 6 or 7 tables occupied by diners, so it was pleasantly quiet inside the restaurant decorated by brick walls and wooden tables. The bar looked great but no one was seated having a beverage. We had tried to make reservations for a Saturday night a few weeks ago but the restaurant was full and had no seating available. Our party split both the meat and cheese appetizer ( $15 each so total $30 ) and it was worth every bite! My steak entree priced at $36 was well worth the bucks and I would return to RYE just to have this steak again. And I would return to this restaurant just to have a drink at the great looking bar, maybe on a Friday or Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014We love this place 2 things of note First be great if they could expand the small plates portion of menu a bit Secondly prices are a bit steep for portion size on main entrees Desserts r fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and InterestingGuestintheVilleDined on 5/3/2014The lobster ravioli dish with the jalapeño pistou was fantastic as well as my salmon dish. The asparagus on the side was perfect. Each dish was a great blend of flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/1/2014Overall very good experience, and waitstaff was great. Had great oysters and pork entree was outstanding. The black curry cauliflower was a little overpowering, so be ready. Lobster toast was also very good. Finished it off with Boom Meringue desert which was very good. It was loud, but it was derby weekend so it was expected.Special Features:
- RonGDined on 5/1/2014No complaints. Made a reservation ahead of time. Everything was ready. Food, drinks and service was all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very ImpressedAllanCDined on 4/27/2014This was our first experience dining at Rye, and all in our party were pleased and impressed with our dinner. Service was attentive. Our server was eager to please. The food was amazing. Each of us ordered something different, and no one was displeased. The chefs are very inventive, and I believe the menu changes frequently. Some of the menu items were deconstructed versions of old favorites. Really neat. I hope Rye hangs around for a long time. We will definitely dine there again, the next time we are in Louisville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ahhhh! The Pleasure!!!dhome510Dined on 4/27/2014Wonderful food with an imaginative and eclectic menu. Interesting wine and spirit list. Service appears to the casual but is watchful, sensitive to diners' needs and immediate. Attractive decor and layout. Go now before it gets too busy and you have trouble getting in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Enthusiasts take LvilleAnnabelleDined on 4/12/2014We heard L-ville had a great food scene. Rye was a fine example of that. Our server was charming; made very good recommendations. Layers of flavor gave the dishes depth that left us talking through Sunday. We love the oysters. We get spoiled by fresh Wellfleets in summer so we're often disappointed by oysters we find inland; these were distinct and flavorful. The cocktail list was awesome;"The King of Carrot Flowers" was interesting and delicious w/o being fruity. Before reserving at Rye I'd read reviews proclaiming "overpriced." We had 4 small plates, 2 rounds of drinks--incl. 2 artisan cocktails. Along w/ the ambience I felt it was worth every $. Thanks, this dining experience enhanced our visit to your great city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.