900 E. Market Street
Louisville, KY 40206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ryeonmarket.com/
- Phone: (502) 749-6200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Tyler Morris
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We specialize in off-site catering. From intimate dinner parties to a pig roast for all your friends and family, our team will be thrilled to pull off any party you can imagine.
- Private Party Facilities: The upstairs event space at RYE offers an intimate venue for a variety of events
- Private Party Contact: Erin Macdonald 5027496200x
A word from Rye
At RYE, we believe food should be approachable yet challenging. Something that pushes the senses and comforts the soul. Founded on the conviction that our most valued social experiences are created around foodContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Rye reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (26)special occasion (24)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (18)romantic (17)good for groups (10)notable wine list (10)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (7)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014Food was great but pricey. I know this sounds like a real "duh" as you get what you pay for, but we can't just drop in for dinner very often. Having said that, it is a great place for a cocktail and snack at the bar which we will do more often. Great drinks, great food! Never miss the Lemon Meringue Pie if it is on the menu. It is is life changing! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jmh1Dined on 11/22/2014Very good food and drinks. Volume level is considerably high so be prepared to yell to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TruefoodieDined on 11/21/2014Rye never fails to be creative, fresh, and delicious! It continues to be my favorite Louisville restaurant! The craft drinks are amazing as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014The beets are to DIE for. Tables are close together. You very well will bump into your neighbors. Loud. I had trouble hearing what my friends were saying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rye was outstandingDisappointeddinerDined on 11/15/2014the survey is not working correctly, so let me say that the food was delicious - fresh, beautifully presented. The drink list -- worth the return! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectRWardDined on 11/10/2014Rye sits in a charming little area of Louisville. Great historic building. Food was outstanding and memorable. Service friendly and impeccable. A must do in LouieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EcclectickathblaiDined on 11/6/2014What a neat place! The food was out there, but so good! And the service was very warm and inviting.Special Features:
- Food was great - other things okKYdiner71VIPDined on 10/28/2014The food was great, we both enjoyed our entrees immensely. We arrived early for dinner, around 6pm because we were attending concert at YUM Center at 8pm. When we first arrived moderately busy and service was good and noice not bad. Maybe by 6:30 or so it really filled up and got very loud and couldn't hear my wife from across the table. Tight quarters between tables in small area so it's going to be loud and not a huge deal if you are ok with it. What was more troubling was the services turned horrible when they got busier. Even getting our check was a challenge - and when we finally got check had to remind waiter to bring it back to table. It was so slow we got to the YUM just down the street right before the 8pm concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so great anymoreloueaterVIPDined on 10/28/2014Granted a major convention was in town and there was an important concert, Paul McCartney, but service was slow! I'm guessing that two large groups of 9+ did not help. Issues: raw oysters arrived after the salad. Original server did not return to check on us. Perhaps, she was overwhelmed by larger groups. I literally had to prevent her from leaving, after placing the bill down, as we were running late to our concert. Yes, we did inform her or our concert plans. We arrive slightly early before our 5:45 pm reservation and did not leave until 7:15 pm. We had no dessert, but I made a mistake in ordering coffee. Fifteen minutes for coffee? Seriously? Heirloom pork dish was over-salted!
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014From start to finish we had a great experience. Throughout our dining experience we must have interacted with four or five members of the staff. Each was exceptional. If I had to dig for a downside it would be a bit of a limited menu, but we all found something delicious and have zero complaints.Special Features:
- I highly recommend Rye!Nudge513Dined on 10/17/2014My family and I were visiting Louisville from Chicago. We found Rye online when searching for a great mixology spot. Can't get enough bourbon ;) Not only were the drinks great, but the food far exceeded our expectations. We've added Rye to our go-to list the next time we're in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RyeCbizDined on 10/8/2014As a first time diner I noticed that they have an excellent selection of house cured and smoked meats, making the meat plate a must! For an entree I had the seared blue marlin which could not have been better. I highly recommend rye for anyone that is looking for a great meal in a more reserved downtown setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, always different & newBBNYPAKYVIPDined on 10/6/2014This is one of Louisville's best restaurants, with wonderful (mostly local, I think) and fresh food, the menu seems to change daily based on what was procured. Everything is wonderfully prepared in an open kitchen you can see. I've had a couple of different kale salads which were unexpected and fabulous, the meat tray was richer than it looked and I could barely finish it. Small plates, cheeses, salads & soups, entrees, everything feels new, like the recipe was conjured just for that day and those ingredients. And then there is the bar with its specialty cocktails (which also change regularly). Service is almost always personable beyond necessity and watchful. My only complaint would be that it is loud even when not very busy. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Rare GemFoodiegalDined on 10/5/2014From the moment you tsep in, you feel instantly at home, A late Sunday night dinner consisted of roasted delicata squash, an amazing carrot soup, Wellfleet oysters and an artful cheese plate rounded out nicely by some fine beers and bourbon drinks. Somehow, the food is memorable but the atmosphere down home and downright fun. Rye does it right and the staff could not be more warm and welcoming. The staff is also knowledgeable but without a hint of pretense. Great find!Special Features:
- Great but freezing...DLF3Dined on 9/19/2014Overall good experience withe the exception of the temperature. The food was excellent, the service was great but we were freezing the whole timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!reviewDined on 9/15/2014Our investment club was celebrating a special occasion with a Limo ride to the restaurant. We actually live in Elizabethtown so we had a little bit of journey. We had to call and change our reservations because we were running 30 minutes late. The restaurant and employees were very accomodating with our change and made us feel very welcome. Our server was excellent! The food was outstanding which made for a perfect evening with great friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and Wonderful FoodMarkInLouisvilleDined on 9/4/2014This chef creates fabulous food combinations. Everything is wonderful. It feels like a trendy San Francisco restaurant and could compete with the best of them. Also, try some of their cocktail creations... very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rye was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014I was in town from Seattle on business and found Rye on Eater's essential 18. I was blown away. The food was excellent, drinks were creative and the guest cocktails were something really special. I didn't know that Louisville had a world class restaurant scene, but this was on par with our best restaurants back home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I came for my daughter's anniversary but unfortunately, the table we were seated at was so loud we couldnt hear each other talk and had to yell all night. Wish we had been seated outside. Or somewhere quieter. Food and service was great with the exception of the kale/pumpkin thing. I thought it sounded good but it tasted too bland and raw for me. Rye does soups the best and the watermelon gazpacho was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodkingslookDined on 8/31/2014As expected the food was top notch. Service was great. As per other reviews though, the noise level was high. Will still go back many times and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ryelbjgarnerDined on 8/23/2014As I've found in past visits, Rye is a very noisy restaurant. The service was superb and my drink was excellent. The dressing on the Bibb Salad was too salty. The Carbonara was okay, but nothing special, not better than what I make at home. The pork belly in the Carbonara was tough.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We loved the atmosphere, service was great, food was outstanding!!! We will go again and recommend to others!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeartwileyDined on 8/16/2014Fantastic service, great drinks, and delicious food. Always a great experience!Special Features:
- Great treat for guestsHerndonDined on 8/15/2014I had guests visiting from Atlanta - so used to some pretty innovative restaurants. Rye did Louisville proud. Everything was delicious. Our server was attentive and patient (we were not in a hurry and lingered). The only issue was it was a little loudSpecial Features:
- Awesome food!ReviewDined on 8/13/2014You must try Rye. Great food and nice atmosphere. Can be casual or night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014food and service was excellent, but over-priced. Vegetable options were limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 146 reviews are from the Rye reviews archive.
- Beloved's BirthdayloveydoveyDined on 8/9/2014What a great meal... great service. Only down side was some of the PGA related clientele. Price of having a good reputation. At a certain part of the evening we stopped being able to hear one another. The meals were perfect and well paced. Cocktails were to die for. Rye is a favorite.Special Features:
- Favorite spot in townVCL3Dined on 7/25/2014We have been to rye a dozen times, and the while the meals are always great, surprisingly it's better every time we go. The menu changes frequently (daily/weekly) and the style draws on a global spice rack/ pantry. I can't believe it's not the hardest reservation in town to get. In addition to the food, cocktails also shine and are seasonal as well. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved dinnerCarolmwDined on 7/25/2014Dinner was great. Everyone in our party loved their meal. Beer selection was good.Special Features:
- Doesn't disappoint.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014We enjoyed our second visit to Rye. The menu was completely different than our last time dining there 6 months ago. Everything was still delicious and service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favoriteBeckyDined on 7/4/2014This place is amazing - from the melt-in-your-mouth rolls to the fresh, one-of-a-kind entrees. I am always bummed when I take the last bite! :) The service is friendly and attentive. I will go back again and again...LOVE IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great facility and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014The facility is very upscale, and the service excellent. We found the food difficult. They need another entree, perhaps chicken instead of quail, and a beef entree would be good.What they had was good, but just not the variety or quantity to feel fully satisfied.
- boxhillDined on 6/26/2014Dinner was great, service great, but a little noisy for my tasteSpecial Features:
- Great Food, NoisyCardsdaddyDined on 6/25/2014The food is great, which is, of course, the most important thing. The portions are small, but very well prepared and creative. You have to ask for ICE water; otherwise, you get warm tap water in a bottle for the table. My only serious gripe is the crushing noise level. It is almost impossible to have a conversation without raising your voice. They need to add some sound-deadening materials in the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/11/2014The food was good, but it seemed overpriced, especially the wine list.
- Might be our favorite...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014We love Rye. It is one of our favorite spots. This last experience was no different. I had the "Dr. Forester's Last Words" cocktail and it was wonderful. My thanks to the staff for graciously moving us out from under an AC vent that was working very well. Our server was excellent and the skill behind the bar and behind the line speaks for itself. The scallops were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Delectable Dinnerslick1203VIPDined on 6/1/2014We visited late on a Sunday night and was the only table seated in the dining room so it was quiet. The service was excellent and the food was perfection. We ordered two cocktails that were a little overdone, the flavors of the liquors were too masked, but it was in there. We had the kale and radish salad, pork loin, cauliflower, squash and zucchini, and the fresh mint ice cream was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/31/2014RYE is a good choice. The food is great and different, very fresh (we saw them pick some mint & basil) right from the garden beside us on the patio. Inside is sleek and vibrant definitely worth a try. Love the kale salad and the Hawaiian nigiari!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceItallaboutpresentationDined on 5/17/2014Enjoyed our late dinner at Rye. The reception was very welcoming and they were so accommodating to our ever changing reservation. The food was excellent and it is important to get there at an early hour as they sold out of some very tempting dishes. However, we enjoyed our experience. Would high recommend it. Our server Luke and the hostesses were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rye Deserves High MarksKwhurs01Dined on 5/16/2014Everything was done nearly perfectly. Waiters were able to accurately describe dishes and drinks accurately. Homemade ice cream sandwich is best I've ever eaten by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.