1200 Ala Moana Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96814Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://ryansgrill.com/
- Phone: 8085919132x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eli Low
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from Ryan's Grill
In 1983, Ryan's changed the look of restaurants in Hawaii forever. Our signature open kitchen offers guests a view of the chef and his team preparing island favorites and American classics. Our mirrored bar is stocked with a hundred variations of elixirs used to create a variety of delectable cocktails. With our diverse menu, vibrant atmosphere and top-notch service team, Ryan's is a renowned favorite for not just locals, but military and mainland visitors alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Ryan's Grill - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Ryan's Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (51)good for groups (49)scenic view (31)vibrant bar scene (29)special occasion (27)kid-friendly (25)late-night find (23)neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (18)great for brunch (17)great for outdoor dining (16)hot spot (15)romantic (4)notable wine list (1)Show More
- very good place to eat and chatKBayVIPDined on 8/30/2014Trying to reconnect with old friends whom I had not seen in months(?) and a meal and time for long chat to catch up on lives was "perefect" at Ryan's Grill.Special Features:
- Good diningdm5414Dined on 8/29/2014It was a good dining spot. Great selection on the menu. Disappointing that they had ran out of the Salmon choices. Tried the Basil Crusted Ahi, sorry but I am not that much of a fan of Caujin Spices. I find most restaurants are too heavy with the spice coating. Did recall seeing anything about Caujin Spice, but I could have missed it being my 2nd choice since there was no Salmon. Overall it was a good dining experance.Special Features:
- Friend's lunchstarDined on 8/29/2014Asked for and received table in less-crowded area. Server was attentive but didn't push us to order food. However, we had to ask for iced tea refills as they were not offered - maybe table a little out of server's view.Special Features:
- Work LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014We went to Ryan's Grill for a farewell lunch for a coworker. The food was amazing! I liked the fact that they had classic American food but gave it delicious new twist. The prices were reasonable and portion sizes were more than enough. I ordered the french onion soup! It was the best I have ever had! I've already told my husband that he is going to take me there soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pupusLovesYummyVIPDined on 8/23/2014For the first time, we opted to dine in the Happy Hour lounge section of the restaurant and ordered off the pupu menu. We had the potstickers (excellent), the crab & artichoke dip (dip was excellent, the bread, not so much), kalua pork spring rolls (again, excellent), and calamari katsu (they should change the sauce). The prices were reasonable, and the quantity was just right for two people. We'll be baaaaaack.Special Features:
- Great place for ladies' lunch...KBayVIPDined on 8/22/2014We had not seen each other for months and wanted to celebrate one of our birthdays, belatedly. Ryan's Grill turned out to be the perfect spot to meet and eat and talk and catch up on each others' lives. The birthday "girl" seemed pleased with her meal and crème Brulee for dessert.Special Features:
- Lively Venuepoibboy52Dined on 8/15/2014Great for groups. Use Open Table for ease of reservations! Service is good, friendly hostesses and waiters. Bartenders are the best. Food selection is good, but dishes need more flavoring. Too boring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Although we tipped 15%, service was fair. Server forgot to bring bread and did not come by for awhile to check on us. The food was ok. We were in a group and the consensus was that we would probably not go back to Ryan's again. Sorry....
- Excellent place for lunch meet...KBayVIPDined on 8/13/2014...with old old friends whom I had not seen in 14 years. Good ambience, great food choices, very personable server person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been Great! Remains Great!!!DenYukiDined on 8/9/2014I've been going to Ryan's since the early 90s and its still a great place to meet and eat!Special Features:
- excellent staff,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014easy to make/get reservation, perfect for lunch and after hours drinkSpecial Features:
- Great fish!LovesYummyVIPDined on 7/26/2014Ordered the seared Opah for the first time, and it was yummy! Natalie, our server, was very attentive, even when she had several tables to serve. The wasabi mashed potatoes were interesting, but I couldn't finish them. Hubby especially enjoyed the guava/tamarind sauce on his BBQ ribs. He cleaned his plate. It was a beautiful day and the sunset was very romantic---postcard perfect. Will definitely be back, and often.Special Features:
- Good foodGinaVIPDined on 7/26/2014Had a great meal here, but not sure if I'd go out of my way to eat there again. The atmosphere was mediocre and the service was fine.Special Features:
- The SistahsSistahsDined on 7/26/2014Fun mojito drinks, only had pupu food, was great. Went early so not crowded. Loved table next to window with ocean/Ala Moana Park view. Old time favorite place to go. Great location, good parking, been going there every so often for 20 years.Special Features:
- Nothing specialalohaVIPDined on 7/25/2014Ryan's is like the local style Ruby Tuesday, in a good way. They have really good food for decent prices. The service is okay, I think it depends on what time you go (we went around 6:30PM). Great for kids. It's noisy so your kids can yell and scream and not really disturb the others around you.Special Features:
- Always a pleasant dining experienceicecream1Dined on 7/25/2014Probably my favorite restaurant. I am never disappointed in the service or the food. It's good for groups or just two diners. I like the fact they they offer different menu items, as well as retaining their favorites (like the 3 salad sampler). Plus they are pretty flexible about making adustments to the food based on your preferences. (I am allergic to molds and seafood, so they will sub another serving of chicken salad in place of the maytag blue cheese salad in the 3 salad sampler) Our glasses are always filled. If our server is busy elsewhere, someone steps in to help. And they never try to rush us out the door, so old friends have a lot of time to catch up.Special Features:
- Awesome!!JakeandbeerDined on 7/24/2014Veeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtrtrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy. GoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's up with the rice?AboutTownVIPDined on 7/20/2014I like Ryan's, venturing there at least twice to three times a month. It's in my neighborhood, convenient. The food is not bad. It's not gourmet, bit they do have some nice dishes as entrees. I usually find the fish to be very good. Of course, they are known for thei Happy Hour/bar menu, which is our "go to" eats. However, every so often we eat off the dinner menu. The only issue I had food wise was their rice. It was not what your typical local rice tastes like. It was like they used a pot on the stove to make it, not a rice cooker. Other than that the food was ok. I've had the pizza in the past and it was good as well. My suggestion, order fries as a substitute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 sandwiches in one!HonGuyVIPDined on 7/20/2014Went there for lunch. New item off of their fresh sheet was a pastrami & hamburger sandwich. You got it, a cooked to order hamburger patty, with pastrami slices above and below it. Then they add melted swiss cheese and sauerkraut. It really were my two favorite sandwiches in one.Special Features:
- Great for friendsSarahVIPDined on 7/18/2014Ryan's is a good community grill, nice cocktail selection, delicious appetizers, and good entrees.Special Features:
- best service, excellent attitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/4/2014we had the absolute best service by Shenie. Wanted window seating for 4th of July on short notice - done. Wanted to change order from one salad to another - no problemo. Focaccio bread was nice and warm for seared ahi salad. Steak was overcooked but tender; so she had it replaced without our asking. It was my birthday and she brought me an haupia brulee - ono! I ordered a bottle of red wine, she brought it in an ice bucket - wonderful. How good does it get! Mahalo!!Special Features:
- Very terrific servicekpno97VIPDined on 7/3/2014We always receive great service but, our server this time, Cassie - was outstanding!Special Features:
- MixedHawkman50VIPDined on 6/29/2014The service was not very good on this visit. We have been several times and this was disappointing. Sunday evening is free kids meals with adult purchases so it is a good time to go with a family. The happy hour house red wine was decent. The happy hour pupus were mixed. The chicken and pork lettuce wraps were not good. The calamari was ample and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KenjiKenji12345Dined on 6/28/2014Wonderful service by the hostess and wait staff. Great Waldorf and three bean salads. PONZU sauce for the KAJIKI was exceptional as were the green beans.Special Features:
- We love Ryan's!MichelsnokaoiDined on 6/27/2014Ryan's Grill is one of our very favorite places for a casual dinner with friends. The great selection of food and beverage means everyone can find something to suit their taste buds. Seating in the dining area is close enough to the bar to get a nice feeling of activity and sufficiently separated to allow for a sound level that suits conversation.Special Features:
- menu changeLissasembraceDined on 6/27/2014The menu has changed since the last time I had gone. The changes are okay - with the happy hour menu. I am so glad they still kept the Jamaican Jerk Fries. The buffalo wings that I love have changed a little but they are still yummy. I was disappointed to find that the pot stickers are now deep fried. I miss that gyoza style and the shoyu based sauce. Other than that - things were still fun as we celebrated our wedding anniversary a day early.Special Features:
- Just a great experiencejust4twoDined on 6/15/2014My experience was great. The service was excellent. The food was good. I highly recommend Ryan for a quite dinner for two or as a group.Special Features:
- A Great Dining Experience!BreezerEatsDined on 6/15/2014Ryan's Grill is well worthy of a great review. Everything I ordered for dinner had an interesting twist to it, and I mean that in a good way. The onion soup was great, not salty like many restaurants. The brandy and dry vermouth gave the soup a special flavor. The calamari was cooked to perfection and the Black Bean Aioli dipping sauce was unlike anything I've ever had. And finally, the ribs were some of the best I have ever had. The meat was very tender and the Guava-Tamarind glaze on the ribs was fantastic. If you are interested in having great food and are looking for something other than just another boring menu, Ryan's is for you.Special Features:
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014Great place only negative was my duck which isn't steamed anymore making it hard and chewy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New and improvedfoodmanDined on 6/15/2014My wife and I use to go every Friday for lunch and drinks. Then their food started coming out inconsistent,their service was always friendly. We just went for Father's day brunch, service was friendly and attentive. But their food was outstanding. Best locomoco and my wife's steak was great. Will be going back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friend zoneDarlenesreviewsDined on 6/15/2014Had lunch with a friend I hadn't seen in 10 years. The waiter had no problem with us spending 5 hours there catching up. I had the mango french toast. It was scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Two families had an early Father's Day dinner and we loved the fish dishes and the presentation. Good service - wrapped all our left-overs nicely and was attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:
- Friday nightarjayDined on 6/6/2014Busy night for me and my date. However, Ryan's was able to accommodate switching my dinner time around. It was crowded and loud but we could still talk to with other. Loved it, loved the food. Will definitely recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service; fair foodSeattlevisitorDined on 6/1/2014They were under-staffed the evening we were there. Our server managed to take care of all the tables, efficiently, attentively, speedily. The friendly manager was attentive to our issues - even did not charge for my entree. Just wish the quality of the food matched the quality of service. But. . . fine for families and casual, non-special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality cutsV123VIPDined on 6/1/2014It was sad from the moment we checked in with the hostess. The staff has poor listening skills. Although I mentioned we had a reservation and we wanted a late lunch; she escorted us to the bar. I questioned why the lunch area was not available; she stated she didn't know we wanted lunch. ???? As we were seated at the table, our waitress asks us to order (when clearly she just gave us the menu and we stated that we probably will order a bottle of wine) she stood there waiting for over 1 minutes just staring and waiting. I hate it when waitress/waiters do this. We ignored her and continued to read the wine list and narrowing down what we would be ordering and which wine would go best. Later she brings two "glasses" of red wine. ???
- Great service!foodmamaDined on 5/23/2014There were 9 of us cousins meeting to discuss a family reunion. Our server was Paul, from Australia. He was excellent! Attentive without being bothersome... accurate since we all received what we had ordered, very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently good foodkaimukimomVIPDined on 5/13/2014great casual food with extensive menu. something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for older crowdReneeDined on 5/11/2014I love Ryan's salads for lunch. The teens in our party would have liked more meat selections to choose from. Actually the adults too. No one likes fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place with great foodfood4luvDined on 5/11/2014Always a great place to take family for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellagioVIPDined on 5/10/2014Good place to meet another family while on vacation in Honolulu.