1650 Bedford Row
Halifax, NS B3J 1T2Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ryanduffys.ca/
- Phone: 9024211116x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Roger Joharchy
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Ryan Duffys catering provides high quality, full service off-site catering in Halifax Regional Municipality and surrounding areas. We offer a complete off-site catering service specializing in new and innovative menu selections as well as classical favorites. Our wide range of menus will suit every occasion. We take pride in achieving and exceeding our clientele's expectations in every aspect of cuisine and service. Our dedicated team of professionals will work with you to visualize and execute every detail of your event, and guarantees that your event will be enjoyable and memorable.
- Private Party Facilities: Ryan Duffy"s is available for large functions, conferences, weddings or intimate gatherings in our welcoming, comfortable atmosphere in downtown Halifax. From 1 to 250 guests, let our dedicated team of professionals work with you to visualize and execute every detail of your event leaving you with memories that will last forever. Custom menus are available
- Private Party Contact: Heather Coffen 9024211883x
A word from Ryan Duffy's
Located near the Halifax waterfront, at Ryan Duffy's we strive to be your restaurant of choice and your favorite steakhouse. We proudly hand-cut and weigh our Alberta AAA steaks table-side, as well as offer fresh local seafood and our renowned on-site dry aged steaks that will inspire your pallet, and Caesar salads perfectly prepared table-side. Allow our knowledgeable servers to delight you in our comfortable contemporary decor with their ability to anticipate you’re every dinning need. Experience firsthand why have won the "Consumer Choice Awards Best Fine Dinning" for four consecutive years. If it is a lively atmosphere you seek, join us at our bar or fireplace lounge – sit back relax and enjoy one of our carefully crafted martinis or a cold pint paired with a delicious burger or fish & chips. Be wined, dined, and dazzled with an explosion of flavours.Continued
Join us for breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week and for weekend brunch.....Let the dazzling begin!
Join us for breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week and for weekend brunch.....Let the dazzling begin!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Ryan Duffy's - Best Restaurants in Halifax ›
Ryan Duffy's reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (11)romantic (9)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (6)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Upscale but welcomingFussyeaterDined on 9/21/2014Party of 5 with a reservation - arrived early but our table was ready. The server was extremely knowledgeable and was quick with recommendations, all of which were excellent. The food was cooked perfectly and served hot - what more can you ask? A little on the pricey side, but nobody left hungry or dissatisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chacha55Dined on 9/16/2014We had a small group luncheon. Overall everyone enjoyed their meal. I had the beef dip, which was tasty but was a bit fatty which I had to remove.Special Features:
- Brunch at Duffy'sluvbrunchDined on 9/14/2014Enjoyed a most excellent Sunday brunch at Ryan Duffy's recently. Not the first time I've enjoyed brunch there and it won't be the last. Always a consistently pleasant experience. The extra Hollandaise the chef freshly whipped up for us was especially appreciated (and consumed to the last buttery goodness drop!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotFoodlover123Dined on 9/13/2014We had a nice table with a view. The wine was great and the service was good. I had mussels an they were too small. Out of season I guessed. Both mains were delicious and the dessert was very niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but priceyBrianDined on 9/5/2014You get great service and the ambience is very quiet and romantic. However if you just want a great steak it is a little pricey. There are many other steak houses in town with just as good a stem dinner without the price.Special Features:
- DisappointedFineDinerDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I were very disappointed with our dining experience at Ryan Duffy's. The service was poor and not at all what we had expected from a restaurant that charges $30 plus dollars per entree. Our server, who never introduced herself. Our server was overly friendly and spent a lot of time talking about the construction next door and how that impacted the restaurant, as well as how tired her feet were because they had been busy the night before. It was not busy when we were there so we couldn't understand why the service was so poor. Despite being told twice that she was bringing us bread, it did not arrive until after we has finished our appetizer. Service became worse from there.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We received great customer service, friendly, informative about the area and very prompt with our 3 course meal. Our waitress checked with us a several times to make sure we had everything needed to enjoy our meal. The restaurant was very clean and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really disapointedMatcheteDined on 8/16/2014When we arrived for the birthday of my husband the restaurant was empty and the waitress took 10 minutes before answering us. I asked for a cake with candle and never had it.
- Great food decent prices.Ue85Dined on 8/2/2014We reserved last minute, looking for food in an extremely crowded city due to the long weekend festivities. The city seemed packed with more tourists than I've witnessed in years past so I was worries. A few remaining slots were available for our party so this was an excellent choice. The menu is fairly large for upscale dining, providing a mix of sea and land. I went with red meat while my date went with the sea and neither of us were disappointed. The meat was perfectly cooked, leaving me wonder if it was cooked suis vide because of how perfect it was. We inhaled every bit and finished off with a dessert from their menu which is equally versed. Service was friendly and attentive. Atmosphere was great with window seats all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhosdavingoDined on 7/26/2014Fantastic food, great atmosphere, fabulous service!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ryan duffys dinnerNotcomingbackDined on 7/12/2014Food was average, $45 rib steak contained too much fat and was not cooked properly. Lobster dish was light for $45 as well. Restaurant was not busy, service was very average. I ordered mushrooms with the steak and got onions. The staff offered to bring mushrooms and I declined. They charged me for the onions even though I sent most of these back with the server. TheSpecial Features:
- nice atmospherePumpkinDined on 7/6/2014Our party of 6 were one of the only ones in this restaurant. The atmosphere was well done. The food was not excellent, but good. The service was a little slower than would be expected for so few patrons. Our drinks had mostly ice, very little liquor. We might go again, but with so many other restaurant choices out there, this one didn't impress us that much, so would probably try another.Special Features:
- The following 123 reviews are from the Ryan Duffy's reviews archive.
- Not as good as last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014We were a group of 6 and I had booked this place because my last visit was amazing. This visit didn't quite live up to my expectations. The service was slow and not nearly as enjoyable as the last visit. My steak which I ordered as medium was red/pink on the inside and charred on the outside. Last time it was perfect. I am not sure if it was just an off night for them but I was disappointed especially given how much the food costs (which I'm totally ok paying if it is meeting expectations). Caesar salad and bread were amazing as always though.Special Features:
- Great breakfast!bolicanuckDined on 6/24/2014Nice downtown breakfast spot (also lunch and dinner, but b-fast is less known). I had a lobster benny - loads of lobster - excellent!Special Features:
- Pretty goodFoodExplorerDined on 6/8/2014My husband and I were both impressed with the service we received. The only negative was that I ordered my steak medium well and it came well done. Other than that, the lobster, caesar salad, and mashed potatoes were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too slow for a group lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014I was there with a group of 12 and there was only one other table of 2 in the restaurant. I had to ask the server to come take our orders and then it was 50 minutes before the food arrived. One of our group had to get his to go because it took so long. We were not brought bread and when the food finally arrived, the server did not return once to ask how things were! The only thing he did right was refill the water glasses. When we left, one in the group gave him cash to pay and he said he would have to go get her some change... upstairs at the hotel!! She ended up using her credit card. I've been there a few times before and this was by far the worst experience I've had. Will not return for a group lunch and maybe not at all.
- Duffy's was a DudSteveKDined on 5/16/2014The Caesar salad was creamy, tangy and delicious. The haddock was over-cooked; the chipotle hollandaise sauce was very good. The accompanying green salad was just OK. The Ruben sandwich was thin and the bread was stale. The fish and chips were good in that the fish was fresh and the batter was crisp and not greasy. The fries were quite tasteless. The slaw had that commercially-made taste. The chocolate mousse was very tasty but was still (visibly!!) frozen when delivered to the table. The service was rushed and when questioned if pesto was in a dish the server did not know & did not attempt to find out. Overpriced for the quality of food. This meal was a great disappointment as Ryan Duffy's has provided some very good meals in the past
- BrunchTampaDined on 5/11/2014Great food but mainly breakfast items. Great ambience with table separation that enabled conversation at the table. Would certainly return.Special Features:
- Another memorable experienceAtomhackerDined on 4/15/2014Ryan Duffy's is my favourite special occasion restaurant. Everything from the table side ceasar, to the Alberta AAA steaks to the memorable service makes Ryan Duffy's a must do when in Halifax.Special Features:
- Not the same old R&D'sAlikatDined on 4/6/2014It has been at least a year since I last dined at R&D'S in the evening and it was not the fine dining experience of the past. Service, food and ambience was average at best . I would have to say over priced and under delivered. Disappointed, I had always enjoyed the spot.
- Great experienceLilDagnametDined on 3/18/2014The food was good and the service was more compatient and congenial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat performanceCare2EatDined on 3/15/2014My boyfriend and I are young, working professionals. We try our best to enjoy Halifax by going to dinners, concerts, plays, sporting events, etc but we especially love food. We try to avoid generic restaurants such as Boston Pizza and Eastside Mario's because there are so generic. We have been to Ryan Duffy's twice now, both times using groupon. This discount allows us to truly indulge in a luxe dining experience. Each time, our server was friendly, yet professional. They assisted me selecting a new wine to try which I've fallen in love with, and the steak my boyfriend ordered was wonderfully presented and tasted amazing. Thank you for the lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was okay, but notOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/14/2014Service was okay, but not great for the total amount we spent on the bill (over $200.00 for 2 people). Food was decent but not as good as it has been in the past. Appetizer wasn't good (baked brie- was breaded and fried and came with slices of baguette which were so toasted you could barely bite into them. The desert was not done well either. As well, the entree came with 2 slices of tomatoes as the vegetable. Needed a bit more color in my opinion. The steaks were cooked to perfection however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fine eveningpbmaritimerDined on 3/7/2014We celebrated our anniversary with a visit to Ryan Duffy's. We have enjoyed meals here over the years and it doesn't disappoint. We shared two appetizers of calamari and a Caesar salad and then we each had the Prime Rib special. The meat was wonderful!!! It was so good. The very best way to enjoy some beef! Thanks for helping us celebrate our special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something amissSteakmanDined on 3/1/2014I had a client come in from out of town and asked me to book a super place to eat. i chose Ryan Duffy's cause i have always loved the steaks. The bar was out of Coors Light draft? The steak was ordered rare and came medium at best. The server was apologetic and good but the eating veg then potato and finally steak which was perfect the second time sort of ruined the whole experience all in all i would still recommend as everyone gets off daysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience overall..DoloresMDined on 2/28/2014Drinks & Appy's arrived quickly. Mains a little slow.. (>45min) hubby's steak went back.. Very rare.. Not medium as requested! Despite napkin in bread basket catching on fire from candle & pouring water over to extinguish, burning my fingers from the melted synthetic napkin material.. No one dropped by to change our table cloth/setting or ask about my burn.. Was merely offered a fresh glass of ice water for my troubles.. !?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Customer ServiceBruceDined on 2/21/2014We had dinner reservations my wife had got me for my birthday. She's gluten free which can make finding a restaurant a challenge. Our waiter was told this so when he brought bread for me he brought her a mixed dish of fresh vegetables (carrots, olives, pickles) and some gluten free bread they "found out back". That wasn't part of the normal menu and he found things to supplement what she had ordered. Related point, the salad and shrimp she did get were great according to her, my meal was great too. Overall, no complaints and would recommend to anyone. Thank you.Special Features:
- Late Valentines DinnerBirdBrainDined on 2/16/2014Great meal. Excellent pretzel buns and pickled veggies while we waited for our entree. The lobster and steak special was great. Loved the comfy booth seating and happy hour did not disappoint with a wonderful red wine. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great Valentines Day giftshinytrinaDined on 2/14/2014So my SO and I decided to try Ryan Duffy's after a friend recommended it to me. I owe the friend many thanks as this one one of the best meals the either myself or my SO have had out in quite some time. I so can not wait until our next visit there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine DelightfoodieDined on 2/14/2014We had amazing service and food. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014A good place for special occasions and romantic dinners. So improved from Spring Garden location. Food was wonderful and even set menu on valentines day was great selection. Wish table side ceasar was available on valentines day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousjalise87Dined on 2/13/2014We went to Ryan Duffy's once for a special occasion and since then have been hooked. The Groupons help make it affordable to have a special night out without costing too much. However there are things on their menu in the $20 - $50 dollar range. The food is always delicious and the service is great. It is normally very quiet, so it's great for a date, or just a nice quiet night out. We've gone three times already in the past 6 months, and are going again next month. Trying to find parking around the restaurant is usually a task in itself, but it's worth it for the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night out!catbeeDined on 2/11/2014Nice night out! Glad I read previous reviews to know to save room for dessert. You have to try the Deep Fried Cheesecake - if you think that sounds scary, fear not: it looks like 2 cannolis on top of caramel sauce, which looks, smells and tastes awesome! While we can't always dine here as it is pricy for us (although, the food and ambience is well worth the price) - we can certainly afford this dessert now and then :) Oh yeah, the pretzel rolls are yum! And as this has been one of our favorite dining experiences, we will certainly be back, especially if we can snag a Groupon or gift card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food....i think evenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014Amazing food....i think even Gordon Ramsay would give accolades to the chef and to the restaurant in general!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014We went as a double date. Escargot and Caesar Salad were ordered to start, and the table side salad service was brilliant! Three ordered the Filet Neptune and I ordered the Dublin Lawyer Lobster. Everything was delicious. The portions were a little small, but I think that was reflected in the price given the calibre of this establishment. We would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice meal, a romantic dinner, or a quiet place to catch up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The rib steak was superb.WillDined on 12/31/2013The rib steak was superb. The waiter was extremely good - very personable, knowledgeable, attentive and did his best to make up for very slow service on New Year's Eve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The wine list was a bit sparceBostonDined on 12/30/2013The wine list was a bit sparce but the Chianti Classico was very good. The food was excellent and the waiter, a broad faced tall man, was a professional waiter. Well done. Nice table too, thanks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent service,8outDined on 12/30/2013Great food, excellent service, our main waiter livened the evening, very entertaining and engaging. Everyone tried a different dish, all the plates were cleaned. Those who had the baked potatoes said best ever. The 3 plus hours we spent passed by too quickly, it was an extremely enjoyable evening enhanced by the ambiance and staff. Will certainly return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was VERY disappointingJoepDined on 12/22/2013My family and I, a party of 5 visited on Sunday Dec 22 for brunch at just after 10 am. The place was almost empty. I had the Burger (i am not a break daft food person) and it was obvious the chunk of leather passing for a burger was beyond well done into the cremation category. And the fries were cold. My In-laws and Wife ordered skillets which were by far more potato than anything else and the only meal that was warm and well done was my sons pancakes. Additionally, we waited over an hour from the time we ordered to when the food was delivered. I would certainly not recommend for brunch. Skillets at Smitty's are better and stay away from the burger!!.
- Best steak & Waiter !OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013Filet mignon was fantastic....one of best ever. Everything else was great too. Our waiter was excellent....real top quality, pleasant, funny guy. Best waiter ever !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.