421 Castle St
Wilmington, NC 28401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rxwilmington.com/
- Phone: (910) 399-3080
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sun: 10:00am- 3:00 pm; 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Southern, Contemporary Southern
- Executive Chef: James Doss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Rx Restaurant
Located in the Castle Stree Art District in Wilmington, NC, Rx Restaurant and Bar is here to serve the best local ingredients around. Our chef is committed to bringing fresh food to your table, so the menu changes daily based on what he can find locally. Parking is free on Castle Street as well as in the parking lot diagonal from us on 5th and Castle!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Rx Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Wilmington ›
Rx Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (108)neighborhood gem (93)special occasion (68)good for groups (35)hot spot (35)romantic (35)notable wine list (30)great for brunch (29)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (5)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A keeperBetzabroadVIPDined on 11/15/2014Not many misses at this wonderful place. The dining experience is sophisticated but not stuffy. Fine but not highbrow. Edgy but not snobby. Great waitstaff makes your experience even better. Only miscue is decor...and as a foodie that comes secondary to the great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good first impression.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014We had heard good things about Rx since its opening, and only recently tried it for ourselves. It was a special occasion dinner, and I had requested specific seating. The request was honored, we had very friendly but professional service, and our food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome DiningMikeDined on 11/8/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Rx - from the ambiance to the meal it was first class. The food was outstanding. Our only disappointment was that we didn't have time for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFoodie17Dined on 11/4/2014Rx was everything I had hoped for and more. Even on a very busy night our service was great, the food was perfect and all 6 of us were more than satisfied with our meals. I highly recommend Rx and will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very niceGiGiKayakDined on 11/1/2014Great meals. Started with smoked fish spread. Nice selection of craft beers on tap. Good wine list. Guinea hen was nice, and the bed of risotto was perfect. Had a good piece of apple pie for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative food funNourishthes0ulDined on 10/31/2014Unique coctails & tapas menu for Halloween fun! Waiter was wonderful, knowledgeable all around delightful experience! Comfortable casual atmosphere. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm fresh to table.ArtmarkDined on 10/25/2014Food and service were fantastic! It was a little loud and not very intimate but I highly recommend RxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingRainDined on 10/25/2014We had a party of 8 for dinner on a Saturday night and the food and service could not have been better. We all decided on the 7 course tasting menu paired that most of us paired with wine. Everything was prepared and served perfectly. When we are in the area again we will definitely dine there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindMoeButta2VIPDined on 10/22/2014Casual, upscale dining with moderate prices. Great appetizers to share and a menu that makes you want to return. Excellent bar stock and wine list. Attentative staff with my party being of 11. I was the out of towner treating my clients who had not been there yet as well. I expect many of them as being locals will return.Special Features:
- Newlywed CelebrationjmassollDined on 10/21/2014This is not the first time we've come to Rx, but we knew it was the perfect place to celebrate just the two of us a few days after our wedding. Rx provides a great environment with fantastic food that never disappoints us. The restaurant went above and beyond when they gave each of us celebratory champagne on the house. THANK YOU Rx!Special Features:
- Rx..the prescription for great foodBetzabroadVIPDined on 10/12/2014Well prepared food, farm-to-table sensibilities, well informed waitstaff, comfortable seating...what could be wrong? Low country slanted menu items that make you think. And the grits are to die for!Special Features:
- Quality of food not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014This was our first time at Rx. We had heard from our neighbors that is was expensive, but worth the price as the food was excellent. Unfortunately, that was not our experience. My husband wanted the Red Drum but they were all out by 6:30 on a Friday night. I ordered the Ribeye. Frankly, it was so fatty and tough I could.t chew/eat it. I informed both the waiter and the owner in a very nice way. They both seemed surprised but offered little in the way of an apology, and did not remove it from the check. A sincere apology, along with either a check adjustment or offer of free dessert would have gone a long way toward giving Rx a second chance. I wanted to like this restaurant, but in the end, I just can't recommend it.
- Very Specialalb52Dined on 10/7/2014This is a very special restaurant, anywhere in America. Fresh ingredients transformed by the chef. Staff was helpful. Bar was great.Special Features:
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014This is an amazing spot for any occasion. My wife and I have been here several times for brunch/dinner.Special Features:
- Great, Local FoodPaleoFamilyDined on 10/5/2014My husband and I had brunch here on our 18th wedding anniversary. We love the fresh, whole-foods-style diet we eat at home, but I really needed a break from the constant cooking. Rx is fun, because the menu changes every day to reflect the available fresh foods. The menu also lists the name of the farmer who provided the ingredients for many of the dishes. We ate a lovely heirloom tomato salad to start. Then, my husband had an omelet. I had steak, kale, potatoes, fried eggs and a side of bacon. The bacon was thick and cooked just right. All wonderful! We also had delicious, fresh-squeezed orange juice. Our server, Trey, was amiable, knowledgeable and attentive. We recommend Rx!Special Features:
- Beyond incrediblethreesistersDined on 10/4/2014RX was an amazing place. The meal was fresh, unique and beautifully presented. The service was first class. We enjoyed it so much we gave their Wilmington Restuarant a try the next day and loved it.Special Features:
- Great Southern cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/4/2014Food and service was very good. I would suggest the owners place a larger sign indicating Rx for visitors new to the area. It is not well marked and not a great neighborhood I wanted to walk around to "find" a place I had never been to before. I'd also suggest some photos or history of the old pharmacy for us history buffs interested in old buildings etc. Otherwise the staff and décor were great. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customer DinnerBigTDined on 10/1/2014Great service and easy to talk and listen to your guest. Quality of ingredients and combinations you don't see everywhere. Love to eat food from artisans who enjoy there profession.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of top restaurants in area.Sid44Dined on 9/30/2014This is a great neighborhood gem. Great food and wait staff are all top notch. Everything is fresh, they use as many local ingredients as possible. You will not be disappointed no matter what menu item you select. Parking available at the location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great presentationOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/27/2014After eating at pembroke's we decided to try it's sister restaurant in town. We were not disappointed. Very nice presentation of carefully prepared and selected food. They have excellent stemware (Reidel) served with wines. A nice consideration esp with fine wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! But...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Great food, but too noisy and a bit over priced. It appears to be intimate upon entering, but with the room set up for big groups the noise level made it difficult to hear our 4 top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent choice!lovetoeatDined on 9/26/2014Great food and service..... elegant "southern cuisine" This place is a real gem in downtown WilmingtonSpecial Features:
- Great ExperienceRjd868Dined on 9/24/2014Have been there several times and each time have ordered a different entree. Each time I have had difficulty deciding if it was my favorite. Food is always excellent! This last visit was for my anniversary and the manager Andrew went out of his way to make the experience special for my wife and I including a complementary dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!RickLiteVIPDined on 9/21/2014The special Farmers Dinner was fantastic! They served a 5 course dinner (and special cocktails) of farm-to-table ingredients prepared with care and imagination by Chef James. AND, we got to meet and interact with the local farmers that grew or raised the vegetables, herbs and meat that was used. Keep an eye out for future special events like this or just go anytime for some of the best food and drink in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Rx never disappoints! Best brunch in town! Try the blueberry pancakes and you will not be sorry. Great service and awesome mimosas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Miss ItWinenDineDined on 9/21/2014Great restaurant in an out of the way location. You could drive right by this location and not know it's a restaurant, but that would be a big mistake! Really good food with some unusual dishes. Great drinks and excellent service.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great ServicefinedinerDined on 9/19/2014This was my second visit to this restaurant. This time it was a weekend evening and I'm glad that we had reservations as every table was full! Our waiter was attentive and helpful with information. The food was delicious and out of the ordinary. Certainly one of the best restaurants in Wilmington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Promising New RestaurantSisterImeldaDined on 9/19/2014Lovely menu and good use of a neighborhood historic building. The fried green tomatoes with home made pimento cheese was excellent, my clams and the chorizo broth was also top rate. My boyfriend loved the pork belly. The cheese grits were average but were just really a garnish to the yummy pork. Peach cobbler ok but whipped cream was terrific. The coffee was very good. I especially liked the choice of dinnerware and utensils. I would like more light but overall a nice and simple restoration/renovation.Special Features:
- Great menuDetroiterDined on 9/19/2014A wonderful find outside of the downtown Wilmington ever changing restaurant business. Fresh everything, fantastic selection of entrees, not overwhelming which makes selection easy. Everything was explained nicely by our waiter. We have been to Rx numerous times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The MenuResqlambDined on 9/13/2014Everything at Rx. was really good. Wilmington is full of restaurants, and this one is definitely one to check out. Check the online menu the day you go, as the menu changes daily. Shrimp and Grits is the one thing that is on the menu everyday.Special Features:
- Must Go for FoodieCGTracyDined on 9/7/2014We really enjoyed this spot and very much recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is fabulous !LovetodineoutDined on 9/6/2014Our first time at Rx and it was a great pleasure. Our server was so knowledgeable and engaging. Even brought us samples of wines that were her favorites. Tomato plate appetizer was to die for. I'm not a vegetarian but the chef's choice vegetable plate was delish. My husband had duck and it was very tender and tasty. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic MenuSusanDined on 9/5/2014Our waitress was very informative and help us navigate the menu. The foods were uniquely prepared with local produce, meats and fish. The menu changed according to local availability so it was very fresh. Enjoyed the variety of tastes offered by the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Wilimington RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Great food, nice daily menu and service was excellent. All 4 people in our group enjoyed their appetizers and entrees. Will be visiting regularly.Special Features:
- Our first visitDandDDined on 8/29/2014We came to Rx on our tenth anniversary at the recommendation of a friend, and were not disappointed. We had a reservation and were seated immediately when we got there. Our server (I wish I knew her name) was amazing - she knew everything about the menu and even knew the history of the building the restaurant is in. She timed the arrival of each course beautifully, and all of the wait staff (water, coffee) was attentive. The food was so good - we loved the fried green tomatoes and our entrée, the red snapper, was so good and enough for two. We'd come back and will recommend Rx to our friends.Special Features:
- Excellent/ friendly staffBritenDined on 8/23/2014A must go to restaurant!!! Fanstastic food with alot of heart and thought put into each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!HBPOINDined on 8/22/2014Comfort food served in a relaxed environment. The locally sourced menu, farm to table, changes daily. I now know what all the hype is about. Rx has become one of my favorite restaurants. I’d put it on your short-list of must try Wilmington restaurants.Special Features:
- Won't go backTheatergoerDined on 8/21/2014The favors involved in each dish conflicted within themselves. It is a food style I label a cacophony. It is not something I enjoy. My snapper fillet had no flavor due to the excessively salty coating and nearly everything had the flavor of bacon fat. Even the cornbread was made with bacon fat. A true disaster.
- RX ReviewbestsoutherncuisineDined on 8/19/2014I have been at RX 5 times in the last 4 months. The food is excellent everytime. Each dish is beautifully prepared. The service is fair. Wait staff seems distracted and unattentive. But the food is worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencebusinessmanDined on 8/19/2014Server and food was excellent. Hard time choosing what to order. Server was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. Excellent food done perfectly. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.