421 Castle St
Wilmington, NC 28401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rxwilmington.com/
- Phone: 9103993080x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sun: 10:00am- 3:00 pm; 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Southern, Contemporary Southern
- Executive Chef: James Doss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Rx Restaurant
Located in the Castle Stree Art District in Wilmington, NC, Rx Restaurant and Bar is here to serve the best local ingredients around. Our chef is committed to bringing fresh food to your table, so the menu changes daily based on what he can find locally. Parking is free on Castle Street as well as in the parking lot diagonal from us on 5th and Castle!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Rx Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Wilmington ›
Rx Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (108)neighborhood gem (89)special occasion (63)romantic (33)notable wine list (30)great for brunch (28)good for groups (28)hot spot (28)vibrant bar scene (13)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Must Go for FoodieCGTracyDined on 9/7/2014We really enjoyed this spot and very much recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is fabulous !LovetodineoutDined on 9/6/2014Our first time at Rx and it was a great pleasure. Our server was so knowledgeable and engaging. Even brought us samples of wines that were her favorites. Tomato plate appetizer was to die for. I'm not a vegetarian but the chef's choice vegetable plate was delish. My husband had duck and it was very tender and tasty. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic MenuSusanDined on 9/5/2014Our waitress was very informative and help us navigate the menu. The foods were uniquely prepared with local produce, meats and fish. The menu changed according to local availability so it was very fresh. Enjoyed the variety of tastes offered by the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Wilimington RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Great food, nice daily menu and service was excellent. All 4 people in our group enjoyed their appetizers and entrees. Will be visiting regularly.Special Features:
- Our first visitDandDDined on 8/29/2014We came to Rx on our tenth anniversary at the recommendation of a friend, and were not disappointed. We had a reservation and were seated immediately when we got there. Our server (I wish I knew her name) was amazing - she knew everything about the menu and even knew the history of the building the restaurant is in. She timed the arrival of each course beautifully, and all of the wait staff (water, coffee) was attentive. The food was so good - we loved the fried green tomatoes and our entrée, the red snapper, was so good and enough for two. We'd come back and will recommend Rx to our friends.Special Features:
- Excellent/ friendly staffBritenDined on 8/23/2014A must go to restaurant!!! Fanstastic food with alot of heart and thought put into each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!HBPOINDined on 8/22/2014Comfort food served in a relaxed environment. The locally sourced menu, farm to table, changes daily. I now know what all the hype is about. Rx has become one of my favorite restaurants. I’d put it on your short-list of must try Wilmington restaurants.Special Features:
- Won't go backTheatergoerDined on 8/21/2014The favors involved in each dish conflicted within themselves. It is a food style I label a cacophony. It is not something I enjoy. My snapper fillet had no flavor due to the excessively salty coating and nearly everything had the flavor of bacon fat. Even the cornbread was made with bacon fat. A true disaster.
- RX ReviewbestsoutherncuisineDined on 8/19/2014I have been at RX 5 times in the last 4 months. The food is excellent everytime. Each dish is beautifully prepared. The service is fair. Wait staff seems distracted and unattentive. But the food is worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencebusinessmanDined on 8/19/2014Server and food was excellent. Hard time choosing what to order. Server was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. Excellent food done perfectly. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Amazing Cocktails, LOUDSavorySnobDined on 8/16/2014The food was good, especially the veggies, and the service was great, the drinks at the bar were amazing. The problem was the noise level was so loud my wife felt like she was having a panic attack, it was deafening and was just other diners talking. We won't go back unless they get some sort of sound control system in place...Special Features:
- Best Stop in WilmingtonGilbertFoodieDined on 8/15/2014Rx was fantastic! We weren't as excited about the main course options, so my husband and I shared a charcuterie board to start. We then ordered two small plates and a side of macaroni. (Of course, we couldn't finish all this, but we got to try more things.) The charcuterie board was absolutely wonderful, especially the rillette. We then had the scallops with popcorn, which was a great surprise as it complemented the other ingredients. Our last dish was the pork belly with the egg, which we loved but my husband thought it was too "breakfasty." The macaroni was disappointing, so we skipped it. The restaurant could use some decorating help, but overall, we had a wonderful experience and have been singing the restaurant's praises!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StephanieYummyDined on 8/10/2014Always good and accommodates food allergies. Never had a bad meal here.Special Features:
- ExcellentthestatelotteryDined on 8/10/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience. The food and staff were outstanding. Definitely try the pork belly over grits with an egg, as well as the pig ears. We can't wait to go back the next time we are in Wilmington.Special Features:
- Farm to Table, including the tableFoodquesterDined on 8/9/2014Everything at Rx is fresh, local and delicious. Even the tables came from reclaimed wood from a local barn. The menu changes daily according to what is available so you'll never get the same meal twice. Loved the okra "fries", the light batter coating was good enough to eat on its own and the okra was still juicy inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dining ExperienceGagiDined on 8/9/2014Love, loved our waiter, Rick. He was so enthusiastic about the food I thought he might sit down and join us. Food was presented well and delicious. RX is not your typical restaurant and definitely worth a try. Drawback was the noise level, with a group of eight it was hard to hear others in our party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedTammyDined on 8/8/2014Food was good and the service friendly but the cleanliness was not up to my expectations. Had a roach run across the table when we were having dinner. More attention was needed cleaning the tables/floors/restrooms. On the up side, it is a very trendy place with great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Ambrosia of the SouthastndDined on 8/5/2014When making the reservation a few days before dinner I colloquially mentioned that our dining would take place on my girlfriend's birthday and that she adores Southern food. When we arrived we were greeted with an air of courtesy one might expect to be reserved for royalty. It was as if they had been rehearsing and preparing for the event for some time. My Gin & Tonic was sublime. The fried ocra, scrumptious. Our Firsts, ambrosial. Our entrees, divine. At this point I had expected some sort of special desert, perhaps a cupcake with a candle...nope. A description-defying cobbler in a cast iron pan and some sort of vanilla ice cream I'm not entirely sure was of this world. In short, Rx is the best dining experience I have ever encountered.Special Features:
- Awesome food and service:jnstatzDined on 8/5/2014My husband and I went for dinner during out vacation in Wilmington. This place may be in my top 5 of ALL favorite places to eat. The food was amazing and the service was just as good. We had a great time and hope to go back next time we are in NC. We have already recommended RX to family and friends that are residents in Wilmington. AWESOME experience! Thank you, RX!Special Features:
- Rx is a neighborhood gemclytchDined on 8/3/2014It was our first trip and we drove right by it, but we were glad we realized where it was because it was an excellent meal!Special Features:
- Southern CharmRainbeauDined on 8/2/2014I love the farm to table concept. That's how I was raised. Dinner was excellent. Fried okra to start. Then Beet salad with grilled peaches, figs, & chèvre. Yum. I'm a vegetarian. The chef kindly accommodated my diet and prepared a delicious plate off menu. I was very pleased. Our Server was very accommodating. She guided us to the perfect wine. I really liked that there was a casual mix of families, groups of friends, & couples dining. The atmosphere was lively. The decor and interesting mix of art mediums. I will return often. Great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RX is consistently great foodGlobalGirlDined on 8/2/2014I took my NYC foodie friends for dinner on Saturday. This is the second time for one of them and he thinks the food is great, clean, fresh, distinctive flavors. Delicious! Firsts are big. Too big for one. Plenty to share, an delicious. The Sticky Pudding was ok, but not good enough for those of us who have had it in Australia or the UK. All they need now is an espresso machine or even French press coffee. The coffee wasn't bad, but the deserts are good enough to really want a great cup of coffee to finish the meal.Special Features:
- PerfectionSimplySophisticatedDined on 8/2/2014From the appetizers to the dessert, everything we had at Rx was delicious. This will become one of our regular "date night" locations. I cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/30/2014Great experience at RX. Food selection was interesting and all our dishes (6 people) were delicious. Nice wine selection. Being farm to table the food selection was limited, but diverse enough to satisfy everyone's palates. The shrimp and grits dish was perfect, as were the fried green tomatoes. Several of us had the blueberry tart for dessert which was homemade and wonderful. Upon finishing our meal we knew we would be making a reservation for their sister restaurant, Pembroke's.Special Features:
- A Great FindConnerclanVIPDined on 7/30/2014Fantastic! Great service & food was perfect. We were there with another couple and each of us loved their meal. The red snapper was very favorful and the chicken was excellent. One in our party had the steak which was cooked to prefection. We started the meals with fried pigs ears which tasted like chicken wings and came "buffaloed" and had blue cheese and celery. Very different but great. All in all and fantastic experience. We took 2 excellent bottles of wine and their corkage fee of $10 is very reasonalbe.Special Features:
- Another good mealRevisitDined on 7/30/2014We introduced a group of friends to RX, and the restaurant did not disappoint. Everyone really enjoyed their meals and desserts. Our server was fast, friendly and knowledgeable. This has got to be the only place on the planet where we could entice people to eat pigs' ears! They were mighty tasty. The only quibbles: out of the savignon blanc I ordered, as well as the Grey Goose vodka for a gimlet. The bartender did substitute a higher quality vodka, which was great. The hoppin' john with one of the entrees was good, but we think there may have been a small stone amongst the peas. That said, we love this place and would highly recommend it for dinner.Special Features:
- GracieDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I found the menu selections to be ample, and not excessive in number. The basic items covered all; beef, fowl, fish & vegetable. The preparations are unique with some unexpected combinations but what we had (a beef dish & a chicken dish), including a unique vegetable first course, was excellent. Our waitress was well versed in all of the items listed and the various preparations. Desert was a bit lackluster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a HitCPNCDined on 7/25/2014Great everything. Perfect plce to take "foodie" out of town visitors. Did that this weekend & enjoyed it as always. Can't beat those pigs ears. Battered okra, shrimp & grits - all excellent choices. Specialty almond liqueur coffee perfect ending. Thanks RX. Will be back as often as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps getting better . . .WilmingtonJayDined on 7/25/2014Each return trip is more enjoyable. The service continues to excel, the food options (sources and variety) and preparation are fantastic.Special Features:
- YummyMarciDined on 7/24/2014Went for dinner on a Thursday evening and the place was full of locals - good sign. My salad was one of the best I have ever eaten. Our dinners were so yummy we had to share both our plates. Our server was a delight. Very knowledge about the food and the drinks. I hope I have the chance to go again someday.Special Features:
- Local GemorganigirlDined on 7/23/2014We ordered the heirloom tomato taste that offered a burst of flavors! We then had the chowder which was a bit different albeit, scrumptious and finally the snapper which again, did not disappoint. You must visit this delightful little find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Sunday BrunchLovetoeatDined on 7/20/2014This was our first time to RX and we chose brunch because of the expense of the dinner meals. The food was wonderful, prepared perfectly and presented beautifully. They gave ample portions (especially of the starter) and the drink menu was fabulous. We even came home with a new favorite drink. As we have experienced a wonderful time out, we will certainly be trying RX for dinner some time soon. The only thing I hope will change is linens on the tables... The ambience is not that great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Great food, great service, but extremely loud! We will definitely return, but be prepared to shout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late dinnerILMfoodDined on 7/16/2014My family and I made a 9 o'clock reservation for the five of us this week after attending a concert. Sometimes it's difficult to find a restaurant that is still serving dinner at that time of night. My husband's pork dish was incredible, as was my Mahi. We love Rx and will continue to dine there regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemlaurenaDined on 7/12/2014Loved everything about this place from menu selection and tasty items to locally designed tables. Our waitress was superb. She was beyond knowledgable on drinks and food items and was super friendly and professional. We had a great time and will go again. Only downside was that it can get loud. Would be nice if they could strategically place larger parties and one area and smaller in another but it wasn't a huge deal and won't deter us from returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything is DeliciousmangrillaDined on 7/6/2014A few friends and I went to dinner at Rx over the July 4th weekend and loved it so much that we went back for brunch the next day. We tried as much as we could. The one or two not-so-stellar dishes were more than outweighed by how insanely delicious everything else was. Go with friends and order a variety to try as much as possible. Must try: Okra fries, pancakes (brunch menu), monte cristo (brunch), pork belly, biscuits (complimentary), every fish dish Be more wary: Shrimp and grits (grits were delicious, but the sausage and shrimp were overcooked - given how awesome everything is, I might have just been unlucky) and compressed melon (basically salty watermelon and cantaloupe balls - there are better appetizers).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014Our service was outstanding!! Our server (her name was Rebekah?!) was amazing...she was so friendly and we were there for a special occasion, and went above and beyond for us. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is fantastic, BUT....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/4/2014I highly recommend the food, but our request to change potatoes to a green veggie was met with, "the chef doesn't substitute unless you have real a food allergy". I said, "I don't eat starches". It's not good customer service to have to defend yourself while ordering your food. They refused my husband's request for a substitution, so he didn't get the meal he wanted. The waitress was nice, but clearly frustrated with our requests. We won't go back because we felt that we needed to apologize for our orders.Special Features:
- Wilmington FavoriteArpinaDined on 7/2/2014Another wonderful meal! Our server (Rebecca) was very helpful and made excellent suggestions. We love the fact that the food is local. The fried chicken was outstanding. We try and visit whenever we are in Wilmington, and will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Jewel in WilmintonScooterUNCDined on 6/29/2014Outstanding service and amazing levels of enthusiasm from the whole Staff. Was in Wilmington celebrating my partner's birthday and chose the place on a lark. Food and drinks were phenomenal. Every item we had was handcrafted and these guys know their product!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.