Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
1601 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ruthschris.com/Steak-House/3099/San-Francisco
- Phone: (415) 673-0557
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Yusuf Kocabiyik
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Ruth's Catering in San Francisco, CA - Bring the service, expertise and flavor of Ruth's Chris Steak House to the location of your choice! Your Private Event Manager is ready to help attend to every detail of your event, from the menu to the martinis. Ruth's will bring in a team of trained chefs, bartenders and servers to make the most of your experience.
- Private Party Facilities: No matter what the occasion, Ruth's Chris is the perfect place to gather. We will work with you to customize any menu to meet your needs and budget. Work one-on-one with our Private Event Manager to select the right room and configuration, accommodate your A/V needs, and help enhance your event with floral arrangements and more.
- Private Party Contact: Vanessa Lee 4156730557
A word from Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
Ruth's Chris Steak House in San Francisco, CA serves the finest USDA Prime beef available, broiled at 1,800° and served on 500° plates, so your steak stays hot, juicy and delicious from first bite to last. Enjoy our New Orleans-inspired appetizers, USDA Prime steaks, fresh seafood, signature side dishes and homemade desserts. All this while you enjoy our warm, inviting atmosphere and Ruth’s Chris’ genuine hospitality. So whether you’re a regular or have just been wondering what all the buzz is about, Ruth's Chris is the perfect excuse to enjoy the perfect night out. Dinner is served nightly, reservations are suggested and private dining and offsite catering may be arranged.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (76)romantic (45)fit for foodies (33)good for groups (29)notable wine list (29)neighborhood gem (15)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Rib eye with lobster tailsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/22/2014Ruth's Chris is always our favorite for steaks. This visit we ordered one the specials, rib eye with 2 lobster tails. Lobster was great but the rib eye tasted like USDA Choice not Prime. We won't be ordering it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dining as it should bebagreyDined on 11/20/2014i prefer not to go to chain restaurants but the quiet ambience was a welcome change from the noisy restaurants in the polk st. neighborhood. the vodka martini was not dry enough - as i had ordered - but the quality of the food and the attentive service was at its reliable best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Steak House Experience!5lidePieceVIPDined on 11/16/2014The wife and I were up in Sonoma when we decided steak was on the menu for dinner. I specifically chose Ruth's Chris because we've been to other locations but never the one in SF. The steak was fantastic (as expected) and I love the 500 degree plates they're served on! So tender and delicious. The steak was accompanied by the classic duo of mashed potatoes and asparagus, both wonderful additions. Molly was very attentive but not intrusive, and the whole meal was exactly what we'd hoped it would be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrateRichDined on 11/13/2014We have patronized this restaurant many times over the years. When it comes to friend and family celebrations such as birthdays and anniversaries, or entertain friends from out of town, Ruth's Chris Steak House has been our three top choices of restaurants for the occasion. We have not been disappointed so far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the FiletAwesomeFiletVIPDined on 11/10/2014Try the bone in Filet. Their steak is second to none. The best filet in San Francisco!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lucalouislucalouisDined on 11/10/2014Excellent as always......been going there in various cities for 30 years.......I've never has anything other than great service and a perfectly prepared meal....we go the twice monthly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great times!FIFiVIPDined on 11/8/2014The food was amazing along with the service! Nine of us came to celebrate my birthday. The salads and the sides were delicious. We come to this restaurant at least twice a year and we will always come for dinner to celebrate any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ruth Chris $$Love2eatVIPDined on 11/8/2014Excellent service. Excellent food. Our steaks were Perfectly cooked and delicious. Very expensive!!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/6/2014The menu was extensive. I took a long time considering the choices, and then while eating, was very glad to have chosen my selection over the many options.Special Features:
- Gift CardsKG03VIPDined on 11/4/2014If anyone plans on using AX, Visa, or Master Card gift cards, this is not the place to dine. According to the local manager Ruth Chris corporate does not take gift cards. By not accepting my gift cards the waiter did not receive a cash tip from me. Since I had to pay for the dinner with one of my personal credit cards the waiters tip was included on my credit card. by using a credit card the waiter makes less due to credit card charges.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodSteaksVIPDined on 11/1/2014I made a reservation for 6:15pm. We arrived at 6:15pm on the dot but our table was not ready. We had to wait another 10 min or so. I suppose it wasn't a big deal but I thought it was odd for such a famous restaurant not to get that right. The food was really good. We had a nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before symphony or operafrequentdineDined on 11/1/2014We go to Ruth's Chris before the symphony or opera and it is consistently excellent. We get our own salads, and share a steak and sides. Service is always great, attentive but not hovering. If you like a quieter ambiance you can ask to be seated away from the staging areas and kitchen, that is helpful.Special Features:
- best rib eyejquanDined on 10/31/2014never had a less than perfect steak, staff is excellent. crowd is quietSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing my 4th time!SteakloversDined on 10/26/2014So my husband and I come here every year for our wedding anniversary and it's just as lovely this year as it was the first time we came! Great food and service... Though the bar area tends to get a bit loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itBBCJDined on 10/25/2014Excellent service. Steaks cooked to perfection and deliciously seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is good but overpricedStootsDined on 10/25/2014No complaints other than the meal, which included one appetizer, two main, two sides, and two glasses of wine, wasn't worth $200.
- Past it's primeantiquetravlerVIPDined on 10/21/2014Ruth Chris is just not keeping up with the othe steak houses. It was too dark, not mood dark. The white bread is passé and the petite rib eye for the price was undersized and fatty. Even the chocolate ice cream was gelato consistency. Very dissapointed.
- best service possiblebestbirthdayDined on 10/19/2014Phil was our waiter extraordinaire. We didn't have to ask for anything, he was quick, polite and intuitive. He made the birthday girl giddy and gave us a memorable outing fit for VIPs.I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobertoDined on 10/18/2014always well worth the money. As always the food and the great service are always on hit. My server Jeremy was most excellent and made it a point to check in with me on a regular basis.Special Features:
- marvelouskmlovescrsteakhouseDined on 10/18/2014we had a wonderful anniversary dinner at the steakhouse!!! food was fine and delicious!!! again any time!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealLuvgoodfoodDined on 10/16/2014It was a busy night so if you want a romantic date night make sure you ask for a booth vice a table. The drinks were superb and the meal was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Food!!!NJOYGReatFOODDined on 10/16/2014The food was absolutely exquisite!! Had Fillet Mignon and Lobster...cooked to perfection!!!! However the bar service and attitude of the bar tender left something to be desired! He had an attitude and was NOT friendly!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodMiroDined on 10/7/2014Great service along with some great meat and nice wine from reach wine list to choose from... Place needs more light and it's a bit out of touch in terms of furniture...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualSommDined on 10/5/2014It wasn't a busy night I ordered a medium filet mignon and it seemed like it was med well, with too much tarragon butter on it, my date ordered a well done rib eye yet it was still pink in the middle.....on a slow night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2014The steaks were delicious, done to perfection, but the entrees are extremely expensive.Special Features:
- Porterhouse steak for two...monamuDined on 10/4/2014There were 4 of us in our party and while this was not my first time visiting this establishment it was the first time for the other 3 guests in party. We ordered the Porterhouse steak for two with asparagus and au gratin potatoes and everything was FANTASTIC and the service by our Waitress Jessica was one of the best services I have ever received. We had a really nice dinner outing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- once again outstanding....skyosmomDined on 10/4/2014Ruth Chris never disappoints!!! The spicy lobster appetizer was to die for, the Poterhouse for 2 was perfect for my daughter and I and we both got lunch for the next day!! The creamed spinach and stuffed mushrooms were just amazing!!! The drinks were perfect, the Pre Fixx my daughters boyfriend ordered was delish and a perfect amount of food even for a big boy!!!! I just love this place!!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/29/2014EXCELLENT SERVICE and excellent food. Definitely returning here in the near future. Steaks were deliciousSpecial Features:
- Ok foodLambchopsDined on 9/27/2014First time here. Food is not worth the price on the menu. Had the lamb chops and it wouldn't even make it to top 10. Service was good though. Mediocre food served by friendly people = fine dining experience I guess. I wouldn't come back.
- Great steakmarvilessDined on 9/25/2014With all the other steak houses around the bay area this place is still on my top 3.Special Features:
- Great food but noisyEyeContactDined on 9/23/2014The food and service are excellent. However it gets tiresome to be seated adjacent to a large group of coworkers out on corporate night out when what I really wanted was a nice quiet environment for a dinner for 2. I should have asked to be reseated by the host should have realized that two people were going to be drowned out by the noise of a party of coworkers.
- Favorite place for steaksalex2the2Dined on 9/17/2014When you're in the mood for a great steak, you must come here! I've been coming here for years and have never been disappointed. Everything from the timing of the entrees to wine pairings never feels rushed, even when the place is busy. This visit happened to be an anniversary celebration and the staff made our night special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as alwaysgiordano2002Dined on 9/16/2014We love Ruth Chris, their steak is the best steak we've found in San Francisco so far and it's only a tad behind our all-time favorite steakhouse in NYC! Maybe a little too pricey to come here once per week but it's definitely worth it in terms of service and meat-quality. It's a great place to for celebrations and special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakGiosoxDined on 9/14/2014Nice bar, good selection of wines by the glass, lighting a bit too dark. Even if half empty and with reservation they like to keep you waiting, probably to show people queuing visible from outside. Meat is great and sides are good.Special Features:
- jimbocaDined on 9/10/2014I have been going to R&C for years now. Almost exclusively in Edmonton and Toronto, and New Orleans and Nashville. I have to say that my wife was not satisfied with her rib eye steak. Unfortunately she is the type that doesn't say anything until we leave, as I know she would have received another one to her satisfaction. Her comment was that maybe R&C in the States, should get AAA Alberta beef. But short of that the staff was more than excellent. Kuddo's to them Jim ChannonSpecial Features:
- pretty awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/6/2014We have to say that it was an exceptional evening. We went for our anniversary and they had rose petals on the table and a great dessert. The service was very prompt but not hovering. The steaks were GREAT and the Lobster mac and cheese was heavenly. The wine list is incredible and the bottle we chose was far better than the price we paid for it. All in all it was pretty awesome.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014What can I say about Ruth Chris; the food is always excellent, service stellar, atmosphere friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Love this place, the food, the steaks are the best in the bay area. Gotta eat here for the steak lovers.Special Features:
- Always consistent always fantasticshellyVIPDined on 8/26/2014Fillet is amazing. Chopped salad is the best I've ever had. Desert was to die forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the filet!!!AwesomeFiletVIPDined on 8/25/2014Try the Filet. I am never disappointed by the filet. The filet is the best in the city bar none!Special Features: