Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
1601 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ruthschris.com/Steak-House/3099/San-Francisco
- Phone: (415) 673-0557
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Yusuf Kocabiyik
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Ruth's Catering in San Francisco, CA - Bring the service, expertise and flavor of Ruth's Chris Steak House to the location of your choice! Your Private Event Manager is ready to help attend to every detail of your event, from the menu to the martinis. Ruth's will bring in a team of trained chefs, bartenders and servers to make the most of your experience.
- Private Party Facilities: No matter what the occasion, Ruth's Chris is the perfect place to gather. We will work with you to customize any menu to meet your needs and budget. Work one-on-one with our Private Event Manager to select the right room and configuration, accommodate your A/V needs, and help enhance your event with floral arrangements and more.
- Private Party Contact: Vanessa Lee 4156730557
A word from Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
Ruth's Chris Steak House in San Francisco, CA serves the finest USDA Prime beef available, broiled at 1,800° and served on 500° plates, so your steak stays hot, juicy and delicious from first bite to last. Enjoy our New Orleans-inspired appetizers, USDA Prime steaks, fresh seafood, signature side dishes and homemade desserts. All this while you enjoy our warm, inviting atmosphere and Ruth’s Chris’ genuine hospitality. So whether you’re a regular or have just been wondering what all the buzz is about, Ruth's Chris is the perfect excuse to enjoy the perfect night out. Dinner is served nightly, reservations are suggested and private dining and offsite catering may be arranged.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (77)romantic (45)fit for foodies (33)good for groups (29)notable wine list (29)neighborhood gem (15)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Honestly, if it wasn't forOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/7/2008Honestly, if it wasn't for the friendly bartender, my overall accessment would be poor. I will say that my steak was cooked to perfection and my salad and sides were okay. The service was poor. We waited 45 minutes for a table. Typically I would expect the manager to offer us a complimentary cocktail or dessert, but we barely got an apology. Then, when the hostess sat us, my chair was wet. Luckily I noticed it and did not sit down. Lastly, our server came around ONCE during our whole meal to ask how things were going. My whole service experience is expected at a less expensive restaurant, but when we spend close to $200 for two, I expect more. Luckily we only came here because we had a gift certificate - I probably won't be back.
- Possibly the best steak inParissolitaireDined on 6/6/2008Possibly the best steak in town. My wife and I hit this place almost everytime we're in town.Special Features:
- none of the above categoriesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/1/2008none of the above categories seem to fit my experience...it was a great steakhouse, with great service.
- From the drink at the barOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/31/2008From the drink at the bar to dinner plates arriving at the table, everything and everyone at Ruth's Chris was polite, professional and friendly. This was my first time at Ruth's Chris in San Francisco and, as a result, it won't be my last.Special Features:
- My husband and I have dinedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/25/2008My husband and I have dined at Ruth's Chris twice -- and both times, had to wait for a table for about 30 minutes despite having a reservation. Our waiter was friendly and helpful with my special dietary needs. The food was good but not great, considering the price and the wait. My cocktail (Hemingway Daiquiri) was the platonic ideal of cocktails taste-wise, but the ice wasn't fully crushed which made it seem cheap. The menu seems to cater toward a very non-San Francisco tastes, since it's a chain I suppose, with very greasy, potato-y, or cheesy sides, and butter on the steaks which is completely unnecessary. Butter on a $70 kobe ribeye? Nuff said.
- One of the best steaks I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2008One of the best steaks I have ever had. I had the filet, medium-rare (pink in the middle) and it was perfect, not too bloody, very juicy and it melted in my mouth...yuuuummmyy! The augratin potatoes & cream of spinach was great too.Special Features:
- Consistantly good steak.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2008Consistantly good steak. We had the bone-in ribeye and it was great. The shoestring potatoes and creamed spinish were classic. We went there to celebrate a graduation and there were quite a few other granduation groups.Special Features:
- I was inpressed with the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2008I was inpressed with the service and how personble everyone was.Special Features:
- We had a very enjoyable dinner.KincaidsDined on 5/17/2008We had a very enjoyable dinner. Our waiter, Josh, has served us on prior occasions and as always - met our every need.Special Features:
- The waiter was more than accomodatiOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/16/2008The waiter was more than accomodating. The food was delicious and the desert was amazing. Definitely recommend the Buffalo. Seared Ahi was perfectly prepared with a delicious ginger sauce. Thanks for making this a perfect experience.Special Features:
- Ruth Chris' was not up toOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 5/15/2008Ruth Chris' was not up to par when we visited on Thursday night this week. The service was very slow to catch on, one of the "medium" steaks was delivered "rare" and the other medium steak was overcooked. The wine service was slow and not very well matched to our consumption pattern as we were frequently waiting for someone to pour it. Pretty sad when a $25 premium price for corkage is charged! The calamari? The best we ever had and for a steakhouse where we'd usually never think to order a fish dish, that's saying something! Fabulous!Special Features:
- we had a terrible waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/14/2008we had a terrible waitress who everyone at my table thought was intoxicated because of the many things that she did wrong during our service dinner. first, when repeating our orders, she spit on my friend's forehead. afterwards, when collecting the menus, she dropped the wine list and her notepad book on my friend as well. when our side dishes arrived, she kept calling our creamed spinach creme brulee and made the excuse saying there's some sort of cream in it. then came after dinner service when she started cleaning our table when a fork had brushed up against my friend and when they were cleaning the scraps off the plates, some of it flew onto my face! Finally the bill came when asked if I wanted to pay half cash and the rest on the cardSpecial Features:
- It was our first time there,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2008It was our first time there, and it was wonderful! We were treated very special by all of the staff, and the food was excellent! I did, however, realize when I got home that the tip for Scott was not sufficient. Is there a way to get him the rest of what I feel he should have? Let me know if you can. Thank you!Special Features:
- My husband and I have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2008My husband and I have been eating at Ruth's Chris Steak House for eight to nine years and each experience is the same (wonderful) impeccable service and attention to pleasing the customers. We've even eaten at the one in Las Vegas and Walnut Creek. But we love the San Francisco location the best. Very satisfying and elegant atmosphere and quite tongue pleasing with the succulent sizzling steaks and seafood. Thanks for making my Mother's Day a great one! Sincerely, Debora McLeod 130 Spinnaker Court Vallejo, CA 94590Special Features:
- Food was fabulous! Have neverOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/10/2008Food was fabulous! Have never had a bad meal or experience at Ruth Chris. Recommend to all my friends and family.Special Features:
- A little disappointed withOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/10/2008A little disappointed with where we were sat first, right next to the kitchen. We asked to be reseated and they accomadated us. The food is good, not fabulous, terribly overpriced, probably won't be going back in the near future.
- Tasty food, excellent service,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/6/2008Tasty food, excellent service, we had a great time.Special Features:
- Great beef, but the pricesWaltDined on 5/6/2008Great beef, but the prices of everything else are way out of line ($15 for a Grey Goose martini).Special Features:
- Except for a tough steak (weTigerVirgoDined on 5/4/2008Except for a tough steak (we did not bring it to our waiter's attention), our meal was superb (especially my filet). Celebrating an anniversary and birthday, we BARTed over from the East Bay, strolled up from a show at the Orpheum Theater and rode the cable car back down to Market Street after dinner. A very romantic day. Not sure we would attempt driving over just for dinner, though. Traffic and parking are a hindrance.Special Features:
- It is an expensive restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/2/2008It is an expensive restaurant. Really for a special occasion.
- The worst dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/1/2008The worst dining experience. The food is extremly overpriced and the service is horrible. I will never never go back the place. The watress named Michell adds unpleasant experience.
- absolutely loved the creamedLyles711Dined on 5/1/2008absolutely loved the creamed spinach. the beef was spectacular... petite filet and shrimp exceptional. great experience!!!Special Features:
- parking sucks, but then again,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2008parking sucks, but then again, everywhere in san francisco as far as parking goes sucks. the food was outstanding, probably the best steak ive ever had. i definitely will come back.Special Features:
- someone gave my husband aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2008someone gave my husband a gift certificate which is the only reason we went here. it's a chain...there are plenty of superior steak houses in San Francisco that are far better. Harris's, or Izzy's rock!
- We had outstanding serviceKubbydooDined on 4/26/2008We had outstanding service by our attendant. She was very attentive without being oppressive.Special Features:
- Our Server Christy was great,OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/26/2008Our Server Christy was great, everything was perfect.Special Features:
- This place is really slipping...theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/24/2008This place is really slipping...the waitress, while pleasant, was robotic and every time REACHED across us ALL THE TIME until I had to tell her I would hand something to her if she needed it. The third time I had to be stern with her. The $42 T Bone, was a substandard piece of meet. The usual black crust was missing, this had been slow baked. I mean there was NO char compared to my guests filet mignon. Having been to this Ruth Chris over the years, and a steak eater around the world - this Ruth Chris is off my list. Bob's steak house in the Omni is a surer bet. Too bad, but not with my money again.
- The servers were nice, butOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/23/2008The servers were nice, but incredibly unorganized, starting with seating us at a table set for 4 (despite our rezzies for 2 & waiting for 10 minutes to be seated in a nearly empty restaurant) then reaching across us to clear the other 2 spots while we sat there. Then it took our server another 20 minutes to take our order. Then they didn't have the ingredients for the drink (from the menu) that my husband ordered. Then the server delivered the wrong food to our table. They ended up taking it away just as we were about to eat...I'd expect this from a lesser restaurant, but when I'm paying $70 for a steak, I'd like the service to stand up to the prices.Special Features:
- This restuarant has a greatRX300Dined on 4/20/2008This restuarant has a great reputation, it is consistently very good, and the same no matter where you dine at Ruth's Chris. Can't go wrong by selecting this steak house and the steaks are succulent. I enjoy the steaks each time I go and have not been disappointed.
- Overall the experience wasRaidersDined on 4/19/2008Overall the experience was very good. I was disappointed that the server did not sing happy birthday to my guest. I had indicated that request on my reservation.Special Features:
- We were there long beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/18/2008We were there long before the rush (it was packed when we left) and were seated at the most awful table right next to the kitchen--and a 4-top although there was two of us. That was really disappointing.
- This was a little pricey forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/18/2008This was a little pricey for steak & french fries! - my husband got french fries and those were fair. Overall the food was pretty good.Special Features:
- Gets all the basics down justOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/5/2008Gets all the basics down just fine. Obviously, the focus is on the beef, which is delicious, and the rest is competent to good but limited and pretty much standard fare.Special Features:
- Very good quality meat, dependableOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/5/2008Very good quality meat, dependable and consistent dining experience - and much better than for instance Harris'. Ambiance a little too dark and stuffy for our liking (a little more light wouldn't hurt), service overly formal but ok. Although the restaurant was literally empty at 5 PM we were given a table right in the middle of the restaurant, with waiters and guests heading for the restroom constantly rushing by - which wasn't quite cozy. Other than that, we keep coming back for the best steak in San Francisco.Special Features:
- The service and food wereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2008The service and food were superb. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Best steak in town! OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/29/2008Best steak in town! Outstanding wine list. Superior service.Special Features:
- Jose is really nice and friendly.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/26/2008Jose is really nice and friendly. As always, the steak was amazing. Thanks.Special Features:
- The service was amazing, reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/25/2008The service was amazing, really top notch. Our waitress was informed and very attentive to the needs of the table. The food was delicious and I especially enjoyed the buttery smell throughout the whole restaurant. I am a lover of butter. I would recommend this spot to anyone who enjoys steak. Next time I'd like to try a special.Special Features:
- delicious for red meat eaters.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/15/2008delicious for red meat eaters. Much better than I expected.Special Features:
- Why is it that every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/14/2008Why is it that every time I go here, the waiter NEVER repours or "touch up" the wine glass after the first pour? I find this at Ruth Chris's on a cosistent basis.Special Features: