Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
1601 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ruthschris.com/Steak-House/3099/San-Francisco
- Phone: 4156730557
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Yusuf Kocabiyik
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Ruth's Catering in San Francisco, CA - Bring the service, expertise and flavor of Ruth's Chris Steak House to the location of your choice! Your Private Event Manager is ready to help attend to every detail of your event, from the menu to the martinis. Ruth's will bring in a team of trained chefs, bartenders and servers to make the most of your experience.
- Private Party Facilities: No matter what the occasion, Ruth's Chris is the perfect place to gather. We will work with you to customize any menu to meet your needs and budget. Work one-on-one with our Private Event Manager to select the right room and configuration, accommodate your A/V needs, and help enhance your event with floral arrangements and more.
- Private Party Contact: Vanessa Lee 4156730557
A word from Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
Ruth's Chris Steak House in San Francisco, CA serves the finest USDA Prime beef available, broiled at 1,800° and served on 500° plates, so your steak stays hot, juicy and delicious from first bite to last. Enjoy our New Orleans-inspired appetizers, USDA Prime steaks, fresh seafood, signature side dishes and homemade desserts. All this while you enjoy our warm, inviting atmosphere and Ruth’s Chris’ genuine hospitality. So whether you’re a regular or have just been wondering what all the buzz is about, Ruth's Chris is the perfect excuse to enjoy the perfect night out. Dinner is served nightly, reservations are suggested and private dining and offsite catering may be arranged.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (86)romantic (53)notable wine list (40)fit for foodies (35)good for groups (32)neighborhood gem (19)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (7)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Ok foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014First time here. Food is not worth the price on the menu. Had the lamb chops and it wouldn't even make it to top 10. Service was good though. Mediocre food served by friendly people = fine dining experience I guess. I wouldn't come back.
- Great steakmarvilessDined on 9/25/2014With all the other steak houses around the bay area this place is still on my top 3.Special Features:
- Great food but noisyEyeContactDined on 9/23/2014The food and service are excellent. However it gets tiresome to be seated adjacent to a large group of coworkers out on corporate night out when what I really wanted was a nice quiet environment for a dinner for 2. I should have asked to be reseated by the host should have realized that two people were going to be drowned out by the noise of a party of coworkers.
- Favorite place for steaksalex2the2Dined on 9/17/2014When you're in the mood for a great steak, you must come here! I've been coming here for years and have never been disappointed. Everything from the timing of the entrees to wine pairings never feels rushed, even when the place is busy. This visit happened to be an anniversary celebration and the staff made our night special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as alwaysgiordano2002Dined on 9/16/2014We love Ruth Chris, their steak is the best steak we've found in San Francisco so far and it's only a tad behind our all-time favorite steakhouse in NYC! Maybe a little too pricey to come here once per week but it's definitely worth it in terms of service and meat-quality. It's a great place to for celebrations and special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakGiosoxDined on 9/14/2014Nice bar, good selection of wines by the glass, lighting a bit too dark. Even if half empty and with reservation they like to keep you waiting, probably to show people queuing visible from outside. Meat is great and sides are good.Special Features:
- jimbocaDined on 9/10/2014I have been going to R&C for years now. Almost exclusively in Edmonton and Toronto, and New Orleans and Nashville. I have to say that my wife was not satisfied with her rib eye steak. Unfortunately she is the type that doesn't say anything until we leave, as I know she would have received another one to her satisfaction. Her comment was that maybe R&C in the States, should get AAA Alberta beef. But short of that the staff was more than excellent. Kuddo's to them Jim ChannonSpecial Features:
- pretty awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/6/2014We have to say that it was an exceptional evening. We went for our anniversary and they had rose petals on the table and a great dessert. The service was very prompt but not hovering. The steaks were GREAT and the Lobster mac and cheese was heavenly. The wine list is incredible and the bottle we chose was far better than the price we paid for it. All in all it was pretty awesome.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014What can I say about Ruth Chris; the food is always excellent, service stellar, atmosphere friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Love this place, the food, the steaks are the best in the bay area. Gotta eat here for the steak lovers.Special Features:
- Always consistent always fantasticshellyDined on 8/26/2014Fillet is amazing. Chopped salad is the best I've ever had. Desert was to die forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the filet!!!AwesomeFiletVIPDined on 8/25/2014Try the Filet. I am never disappointed by the filet. The filet is the best in the city bar none!Special Features:
- GREAT food! Not so hot service...ReaLreviewSDined on 8/23/2014The food at Ruth's Chris was beyond amazing. I took my girlfriend there for her birthday, and we had a great time. The stuffed chicken is to die for. I'm still not all the way sure of what they stuff it with, but it's delicious. My only complaint would be the service, or our particular waiter. I decided to go with the regular stuffed chicken and not the 3-course meal design specials that they have, while my girlfriend did go with the 3-course. Because of this, I did not have an appetizer, so she offered to share some of her huge Cesar salad with me. A normal couple gesture. The waiter saw that I was eating some of her salad and seemed a little ticked off by it. The rest of the night he continuously made some unnecessary remarks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cocktail pairing dinner1bartenderVIPDined on 8/21/2014was very dissapointed. the speaker was not knowledgalbe and kept referring to his cue/index cards. he didnt seem to be able to answer questions and did so with some being incorrect. im a mixologist and corrected him several times cause i didnt want people to have mis-information. when i did that he continued to give me dagger eyes/dirty looks: not very professional. he also argued with several of the other guests when they had correct answers/comments. although the food was good he did not explain why the drinks were chosen for the meal at much lenght. he did not present the drinks at each serving as the meal was being served. most of the drinks were horrible; very sweet and undrinkable.
- Perfectly cooked FiletSureguruDined on 8/16/2014My all time favorite steak restaurant is Alexander's. But food wise, Ruth's was up to par. I had the Filet mignon with Shrimp on top. The steak was perfectly cooked. Sides were excellent. Service was great.Special Features:
- Excellent servicemm77Dined on 8/14/2014Took an out of town friend here for her birthday dinner at her request. Was not disappointed. The service was excellent and the ribeye steaks were perfectly prepared. Nothing new or innovative here but that's not what you are looking for at Ruth's. Nice wine list with some very nice modestly priced wines along with excellent high end ones. Ordered a bottle and then not needing another full bottle ordered two additional glasses. Thought the pour was very stingy for $15.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceLuvspicyDined on 8/9/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Ruth's Chris. The service was outstanding. The food was very good.I would recommend family or friend. From: LuvspicySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious w/ great serviceSteakDined on 8/8/2014Can't beat the steaks from Ruth's Chris no matter where you travel. Very pleased to with the service and excellent waitress only added to the experience. Only small note was there was a large draft from the window at our table that made it a little chilly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor showOutoftownerDined on 8/2/2014Ate at this restaurant on Saturday night and it is the poorest of the chain I have visited. Started badly by being told that I had to wait, the Lyonnaise potatoes were overdone to the extent that they looked and felt like crisps (potato chips) and replacement chips/fries tasted only of the burnt oil in which they had been fried so they were basically inedible. Waiter admitted he thought the potatoes were overdone when he brought them, so why give them to me? I chose Ruth's Chris because the half dozen other examples in the chain at which I have eaten have been outstanding and so I was expecting great things. Next time in San Francisco I will head straight to Morton's - prices there are little different and at least they know how to cook
- Great food and service!SoAnoidDined on 7/29/2014Our family truly enjoyed a celebratory B-day dinner. The table was decorated when we arrived, which was a welcome surprise. My food and service were both superb. The only disappointment (and this truly isn't the fault of the restaurant - but more of the sign of the times) was there were many families with kids - and the seating is very close - so it was noisy and there wasn't much privacy among diners.Special Features:
- Never disappointsLovedNYCDined on 7/26/2014Having been to many Ruth's Chris Steakhouse locations, you can always expect a consistent experience and San Francisco was no different. Service was outstanding and the steaks were awesome. It was the last night of our vacation and we wanted the best steaks to celebrate, and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and recommendationsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014The food is always delicious here, and the waiter was helpful with the recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traveling to San FranciscoImthatonegirl86Dined on 7/18/2014Waited 30 minutes past our reservation time for a table. Sat in the bar while waiting to get a drink and sat for a while until we had to flag down a server assistant to come help. Informed the host when we checked in that it was my birthday that day but nothing was said to me or done from our server. Very displeased with the overall experience of this visit. We frequent Ruth Chris in portland OR and have never been this disappointed in our experience.Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerCrystalDined on 7/15/2014The lobster and steak gets 5 stars!! I highly recommend getting the classic specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner ExperienceFiveYearsDined on 7/15/2014We had a great Australian Moscato and SanFran finest water. The calamari appetizer was exquisite. My spouse's two pounder lobster was delicious and very meaty. My filet with shrimp was cooked to order. The dessert that came with the set menu needs to improve, it wasn't very good; especially those chocolate bars. Sorry, they need to be gone.Special Features:
- bad service for pricey dinnermommaof3Dined on 7/12/2014It took 15 minutes for our server to greet us, another 20 minutes to bring us complimentary bread, then when she took our order she didnt ask us how we want our steak, we have to tell her and she pretended thats what she heard us say..bad service we got from Janine.
- amazingLuisFloresAlvarezDined on 7/12/2014Great filet mignon. Wine selection and customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The filet !AwesomeFiletVIPDined on 7/7/2014If you want the best filet in the city at a great price this is the place for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Best ribeye I've ever had. Also love the side dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good old fashion steak houseOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/1/2014Had a pleasant dinner at this steak house. Food was good. Service really excellent.Special Features:
- Delicious meal!sfleahVIPDined on 6/30/2014Our entire meal was wonderful! Their chicken soup special, lobster appetizer and cheesecake were all very tasty, while their matchstick fries addicting. Each of our petite filet mignon was cooked to perfection and simply melted in our mouths!!! My 11 y.o. son was even craving for their steak the next day!...And so was I. Food was well-portioned and the service great!!! It's our favorite go to steakhouse for sure!
- Our favorite Bay Area RestaurantsAllanBVIPDined on 6/25/2014We love going here even though so many GREAT places to go in San Francisco. The staff treats us like family and the food is always outstanding (hash browns to die for)!!!! Easy to get to and valet parking. Simply one of the best choices in fine San Francisco dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to grab a steakOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014Not having steak for a real long time and I have never token my wife out to a decent steak house( outback doesn't count), we are ripe to have a decent steak. We were wrong. Our steak blew our taste buds off. Both of us were really satisfied with our meal. We ordered off from the classic menu... The rib eye and the fillet migon. The rib eye was juicy and hot. I can't believed I finished my meal. The wive ordered the fillet migon because it wasn't so fatty... As a result the steak I felt is a little dry compare to the rib eye. She went with medium so maybe medium rare would of been more juicy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak--poor french friesOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/21/2014I often eat at Ruth's because they have just about the best steak in town. On a previous visit, I commented about the fact that I felt their corkage fee charge was too high, and I believe it has been lowered from $20 to $15, which is feel is more reasonable. I thank them for doing so. Last evening was another great steak; however, I warm you to stay away from the french fries which were tasteless. They either had been in a warming tray far too long or they were previously frozen, thawed, and deep friend. C'mon, it's not that hard to slice a potato, deep fry it, and serve it the way it should be served--hot, crispy, and with good taste. It's sad to serve a great steak with poor quality french fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerNancySDined on 6/17/2014We made a reservation at Ruth's Chris Steak House for our 35th wedding anniversary dinner. We were seated at a great table, rose petals were placed on the table and we were given a complimentary glass of champagne which started the evening off very well. Our server was very attentive (until near the end of our meal a party of about 20 sat down in the same room as us), and we ordered the ahi tuna appetizer. It was delicious. We were not rushed at all. We then ordered a rib eye steak, a filet mignon, a side of sweet potatoes and a side of au gratin spinach. Everything was cooked perfectly and delicious. We were quite full at this time, but decided to order the chocolate cake for dessert, and it was so large we could not finish it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bickVIPDined on 6/16/2014The food is not as good as last few time. However, the wine is always good above average. I wonder if they changed for a new chef??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Servicejnchan26Dined on 6/15/2014From the beginning to the end of my experience, my server was a rare sighting. He never stopped by and asked "how's everything" or if we needed anything else. My parents and I were out of water for most of the dinner. It wasn't until I asked another waiter who was passing by that apologized on my server's behalf saying "you should never be out of water, I'm so sorry." Even getting the check at the end of the meal was impossible. When we did get it, I put my credit card in and he didn't come get it until 20 minutes later (it probably would have taken longer if I had not waved him down) and apologized that he had forgotten that he gave us the check. I definitely wasn't expecting this type of service from high rated, popular restaurant.Special Features:
- Awesome as alwaysSteveDined on 6/14/2014Never disappointed with this place. By far the best steak I've ever had, and I've been to a lot of steak houses. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!JimyDined on 6/14/2014Definitely not someplace you want to go on a regular basis. Dinner ran $100 per person with only 4 bar drinks. The steaks are fabulous though. The last time I had one this good was also at Ruth's Chris 10-15 years ago. It was a memorable meal with great friends.Special Features:
- SilverDaddyDined on 6/11/2014We visit Ruth's Chris a few times each year and it never fails to impress us with the excellent steak and polite, friendly service. The filet cooked in butter is fantastic, and I consider it the best in San Francisco.Special Features: