Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
1601 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ruthschris.com/Steak-House/3099/San-Francisco
- Phone: 4156730557
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Yusuf Kocabiyik
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Ruth's Catering in San Francisco, CA - Bring the service, expertise and flavor of Ruth's Chris Steak House to the location of your choice! Your Private Event Manager is ready to help attend to every detail of your event, from the menu to the martinis. Ruth's will bring in a team of trained chefs, bartenders and servers to make the most of your experience.
- Private Party Facilities: No matter what the occasion, Ruth's Chris is the perfect place to gather. We will work with you to customize any menu to meet your needs and budget. Work one-on-one with our Private Event Manager to select the right room and configuration, accommodate your A/V needs, and help enhance your event with floral arrangements and more.
- Private Party Contact: Vanessa Lee 4156730557
A word from Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco
Ruth's Chris Steak House in San Francisco, CA serves the finest USDA Prime beef available, broiled at 1,800° and served on 500° plates, so your steak stays hot, juicy and delicious from first bite to last. Enjoy our New Orleans-inspired appetizers, USDA Prime steaks, fresh seafood, signature side dishes and homemade desserts. All this while you enjoy our warm, inviting atmosphere and Ruth’s Chris’ genuine hospitality. So whether you’re a regular or have just been wondering what all the buzz is about, Ruth's Chris is the perfect excuse to enjoy the perfect night out. Dinner is served nightly, reservations are suggested and private dining and offsite catering may be arranged.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)romantic (65)notable wine list (52)fit for foodies (41)good for groups (31)neighborhood gem (24)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (12)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Perfectly cooked FiletSureguruDined on 8/16/2014My all time favorite steak restaurant is Alexander's. But food wise, Ruth's was up to par. I had the Filet mignon with Shrimp on top. The steak was perfectly cooked. Sides were excellent. Service was great.Special Features:
- Excellent servicemm77Dined on 8/14/2014Took an out of town friend here for her birthday dinner at her request. Was not disappointed. The service was excellent and the ribeye steaks were perfectly prepared. Nothing new or innovative here but that's not what you are looking for at Ruth's. Nice wine list with some very nice modestly priced wines along with excellent high end ones. Ordered a bottle and then not needing another full bottle ordered two additional glasses. Thought the pour was very stingy for $15.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceLuvspicyDined on 8/9/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Ruth's Chris. The service was outstanding. The food was very good.I would recommend family or friend. From: LuvspicySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious w/ great serviceSteakDined on 8/8/2014Can't beat the steaks from Ruth's Chris no matter where you travel. Very pleased to with the service and excellent waitress only added to the experience. Only small note was there was a large draft from the window at our table that made it a little chilly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor showOutoftownerDined on 8/2/2014Ate at this restaurant on Saturday night and it is the poorest of the chain I have visited. Started badly by being told that I had to wait, the Lyonnaise potatoes were overdone to the extent that they looked and felt like crisps (potato chips) and replacement chips/fries tasted only of the burnt oil in which they had been fried so they were basically inedible. Waiter admitted he thought the potatoes were overdone when he brought them, so why give them to me? I chose Ruth's Chris because the half dozen other examples in the chain at which I have eaten have been outstanding and so I was expecting great things. Next time in San Francisco I will head straight to Morton's - prices there are little different and at least they know how to cook
- Great food and service!SoAnoidDined on 7/29/2014Our family truly enjoyed a celebratory B-day dinner. The table was decorated when we arrived, which was a welcome surprise. My food and service were both superb. The only disappointment (and this truly isn't the fault of the restaurant - but more of the sign of the times) was there were many families with kids - and the seating is very close - so it was noisy and there wasn't much privacy among diners.Special Features:
- Never disappointsLovedNYCDined on 7/26/2014Having been to many Ruth's Chris Steakhouse locations, you can always expect a consistent experience and San Francisco was no different. Service was outstanding and the steaks were awesome. It was the last night of our vacation and we wanted the best steaks to celebrate, and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and recommendationsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014The food is always delicious here, and the waiter was helpful with the recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traveling to San FranciscoImthatonegirl86Dined on 7/18/2014Waited 30 minutes past our reservation time for a table. Sat in the bar while waiting to get a drink and sat for a while until we had to flag down a server assistant to come help. Informed the host when we checked in that it was my birthday that day but nothing was said to me or done from our server. Very displeased with the overall experience of this visit. We frequent Ruth Chris in portland OR and have never been this disappointed in our experience.Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2014The lobster and steak gets 5 stars!! I highly recommend getting the classic specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner ExperienceFiveYearsDined on 7/15/2014We had a great Australian Moscato and SanFran finest water. The calamari appetizer was exquisite. My spouse's two pounder lobster was delicious and very meaty. My filet with shrimp was cooked to order. The dessert that came with the set menu needs to improve, it wasn't very good; especially those chocolate bars. Sorry, they need to be gone.Special Features:
- bad service for pricey dinnermommaof3Dined on 7/12/2014It took 15 minutes for our server to greet us, another 20 minutes to bring us complimentary bread, then when she took our order she didnt ask us how we want our steak, we have to tell her and she pretended thats what she heard us say..bad service we got from Janine.
- amazingLuisFloresAlvarezDined on 7/12/2014Great filet mignon. Wine selection and customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The filet !AwesomeFiletVIPDined on 7/7/2014If you want the best filet in the city at a great price this is the place for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Best ribeye I've ever had. Also love the side dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good old fashion steak houseOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/1/2014Had a pleasant dinner at this steak house. Food was good. Service really excellent.Special Features:
- Delicious meal!sfleahVIPDined on 6/30/2014Our entire meal was wonderful! Their chicken soup special, lobster appetizer and cheesecake were all very tasty, while their matchstick fries addicting. Each of our petite filet mignon was cooked to perfection and simply melted in our mouths!!! My 11 y.o. son was even craving for their steak the next day!...And so was I. Food was well-portioned and the service great!!! It's our favorite go to steakhouse for sure!
- Our favorite Bay Area RestaurantsAllanBVIPDined on 6/25/2014We love going here even though so many GREAT places to go in San Francisco. The staff treats us like family and the food is always outstanding (hash browns to die for)!!!! Easy to get to and valet parking. Simply one of the best choices in fine San Francisco dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to grab a steakOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014Not having steak for a real long time and I have never token my wife out to a decent steak house( outback doesn't count), we are ripe to have a decent steak. We were wrong. Our steak blew our taste buds off. Both of us were really satisfied with our meal. We ordered off from the classic menu... The rib eye and the fillet migon. The rib eye was juicy and hot. I can't believed I finished my meal. The wive ordered the fillet migon because it wasn't so fatty... As a result the steak I felt is a little dry compare to the rib eye. She went with medium so maybe medium rare would of been more juicy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak--poor french friesOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/21/2014I often eat at Ruth's because they have just about the best steak in town. On a previous visit, I commented about the fact that I felt their corkage fee charge was too high, and I believe it has been lowered from $20 to $15, which is feel is more reasonable. I thank them for doing so. Last evening was another great steak; however, I warm you to stay away from the french fries which were tasteless. They either had been in a warming tray far too long or they were previously frozen, thawed, and deep friend. C'mon, it's not that hard to slice a potato, deep fry it, and serve it the way it should be served--hot, crispy, and with good taste. It's sad to serve a great steak with poor quality french fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerNancySDined on 6/17/2014We made a reservation at Ruth's Chris Steak House for our 35th wedding anniversary dinner. We were seated at a great table, rose petals were placed on the table and we were given a complimentary glass of champagne which started the evening off very well. Our server was very attentive (until near the end of our meal a party of about 20 sat down in the same room as us), and we ordered the ahi tuna appetizer. It was delicious. We were not rushed at all. We then ordered a rib eye steak, a filet mignon, a side of sweet potatoes and a side of au gratin spinach. Everything was cooked perfectly and delicious. We were quite full at this time, but decided to order the chocolate cake for dessert, and it was so large we could not finish it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bickVIPDined on 6/16/2014The food is not as good as last few time. However, the wine is always good above average. I wonder if they changed for a new chef??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Servicejnchan26Dined on 6/15/2014From the beginning to the end of my experience, my server was a rare sighting. He never stopped by and asked "how's everything" or if we needed anything else. My parents and I were out of water for most of the dinner. It wasn't until I asked another waiter who was passing by that apologized on my server's behalf saying "you should never be out of water, I'm so sorry." Even getting the check at the end of the meal was impossible. When we did get it, I put my credit card in and he didn't come get it until 20 minutes later (it probably would have taken longer if I had not waved him down) and apologized that he had forgotten that he gave us the check. I definitely wasn't expecting this type of service from high rated, popular restaurant.Special Features:
- Awesome as alwaysSteveDined on 6/14/2014Never disappointed with this place. By far the best steak I've ever had, and I've been to a lot of steak houses. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!JimyDined on 6/14/2014Definitely not someplace you want to go on a regular basis. Dinner ran $100 per person with only 4 bar drinks. The steaks are fabulous though. The last time I had one this good was also at Ruth's Chris 10-15 years ago. It was a memorable meal with great friends.Special Features:
- SilverDaddyDined on 6/11/2014We visit Ruth's Chris a few times each year and it never fails to impress us with the excellent steak and polite, friendly service. The filet cooked in butter is fantastic, and I consider it the best in San Francisco.Special Features:
- The Standard has moved onTCHLVIPDined on 6/9/2014It's been a while since I've been to Ruth's Chris. I had fond memories of the good and service here before. But this time, either my taste has changed or other steakhouses I've been to are so much better, I was disappointed. The ribeye I ordered was too lean to a point it was bordering on being chewy and I ordered it medium rear. Service was very inconsistent, I actually got the feeling that our server ignored us because we didn't order the priciest cut nor any wine. I will not be back.
- Tasty steak but greasy. Noisy!NamLotusDined on 6/8/2014Rib eye steak were tasty even though they were greasy. The tables are very close and we could hear the discussion and argument from the nearer table. We just spent an hour for our dinner and did not want to stay longer. The restaurant is good for a group but a little bit dark. The seating is tide too.Special Features:
- Amazing service, great foodchris398234Dined on 6/6/2014The service was impeccable. I just got engaged, and they really went the extra mile! They put out roses on the table, and gave us each a complimentary glass of champagne! Plus when our dessert game, they wrote "Happy Engagement" on the plate in chocolate! They really went above and beyond and made it such a special dinner. I will be coming here from now on for any anniversaries, birthdays, etc! They really know how to celebrate and make you feel special. Plus, the food was delicious! We got the price-fixed menu, and everything was amazing. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- expeditious dinner eversfopentabledinerVIPDined on 6/6/2014Valeted the car since no parking within a few blocks of restaurant. Ordered from the Prix fixe menu and our food and wine came so quickly. Loved the mixed green salad and dressing was just right not overwhelming. Our steaks were as ordered, medium rare and the grilled salmon was fresh and succulent and not overcooked. we finished our dinner in about an hour. It was the most efficient manner of serving dinner I have had. I have been using Open Table to book reservations for 2 years and this was the fastest and delectable meal I have eaten. Our server was very gracious and helpful. Our water glasses filled when half empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They discourage Dine About TownDH01VIPDined on 6/6/2014They really want you to order from their ala carte menu, but we found the limited choices on the Dine About Town menu to be excellent, the food perfectly done and the portions just right. The service was excellent, too, once you got past the attitude.
- DAT - OK, but some issuesBBSFVIPDined on 6/5/2014We did our regular trip to RCSH for Dine About Town -- it is a great deal, and I do appreciate their continued participation. This time the petite filets were excellent, but the service was not. While our waiter wad friendly, he seemed overworked and did not pay attention to details, including forgetting to put in our order for an additional appetizer. He apologized for his "poor handwriting", and the onion rings arrived as we were half way through the steaks, and were cold.Special Features:
- Very Accommodating, Great Food.CareDined on 6/5/2014I came here for Dine About Town and had a really good experience with reservations with the restaurant - some problems arose with my friends' schedules so I had to rebook our reservation a few times and they were very accommodating about it. Even when we arrived with a last minute change in the number of seats we needed, they made no fuss and gave us a different table without any problems. In the "Special Request", all I had written was that we were celebrating our friend's birthday. When we arrived, they had decorated the table for us and at the end brought out a special desert with a candle for our friend. It was very nice! The food itself was really good, definitely one of the best steaks I've ever had! Every other course was okay...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/4/2014Excellent steak! One of my favorite in the city. Excellent dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappoined a little bitSweetheartDined on 6/1/2014We join the SF Dine in town activities.We ordered 2 Ruth's Chris Classic courses and one Dine in Town course last night. Salads are good, About main course, we all chose filet-medium rare, so yummy and awesome! Shirmp are ok. Well,we are so disappoined about dessert on the course menu, too sweet and we don't like it. If dessert on the Classic menu or dine in town menu can change to small cream brulee or small banana cream pie, i think will be better for the course. BTW,I need to say...Valet parking service is so excellent, when we ready to leave after dinner, our car is ready. Although we are disappoined the dessert on the course menu, we still enjoy dinner last night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/30/2014Overall great experience except for the wait. Don't understand why we had to wait so long. We saw people who came in later than got seated before us. Almost wanted to leave but since it was for our son's birthday we told ourselves to calm down and be pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Better Filet!AwesomeFiletVIPDined on 5/30/2014The service is always excellent here. The filet is the best in the city and the sizzling butter is the topper!!Special Features:
- OaktownDined on 5/30/2014valet parking...yes....it's a must for a S.F Restaurant...kinda dark but that works for the romantic couple...front door was on spot and welcoming..arrive 20 minutes early and were seated right away..wait staff was lively and menu knowledgeable..my first time at the S.F Location and will definately go back again..Special Features:
- MamaBearDined on 5/27/2014This was our first visit to this location. Very enjoyable! The staff was very knowledgable and friendly. The bone-in filet was prepared to perfection. The hash browns with grilled onions and cheddar cheese were delicious! The special birthday dessert was a pleasant surprise. Ruth's Chris delivered again!Special Features:
- nicenike2Dined on 5/23/2014Great service better food I will advice either the steak or the stuff chicken can't go wrong at all with eitherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.