Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Diego
1355 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ruthschris.com/Steak-House/3508/San-Diego
- Phone: (619) 233-1422
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Alfonso Serrano
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Ruth's Catering in San Diego, CA - Bring the service, expertise and flavor of Ruth's Chris Steak House to the location of your choice! Your Private Event Manager is ready to help attend to every detail of your event, from the menu to the martinis. Ruth's will bring in a team of trained chefs, bartenders and servers to make the most of your experience.
- Private Party Facilities: No matter what the occasion, Ruth's Chris is the perfect place to gather. We will work with you to customize any menu to meet your needs and budget. Work one-on-one with our Private Event Manager to select the right room and configuration, accommodate your A/V needs, and help enhance your event with floral arrangements and more.
- Private Party Contact: Jaclyn Kinnon 6195508529
A word from Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Diego
Ruth's Chris Steak House in San Diego, CA serves the finest USDA Prime beef available, broiled at 1,800° and served on 500° plates, so your steak stays hot, juicy and delicious from first bite to last. Enjoy our New Orleans-inspired appetizers, USDA Prime steaks, fresh seafood, signature side dishes and homemade desserts. All this while you enjoy our warm, inviting atmosphere and Ruth’s Chris’ genuine hospitality. So whether you’re a regular or have just been wondering what all the buzz is about, Ruth's Chris is the perfect excuse to enjoy the perfect night out. Dinner is served nightly, reservations are suggested and private dining and offsite catering may be arranged.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (121)scenic view (108)romantic (89)fit for foodies (49)notable wine list (44)good for groups (34)hot spot (25)neighborhood gem (19)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (11)kid-friendly (11)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- very disappointedmolodoiVIPDined on 11/22/2014First time visiting the restaurant/chain - we won't be coming back. We had high hopes that this steakhouse would be on par with Capital Grille - unfortunately, it was not even close. 1 - we had to wait 30 mins past our reservation time - nobody cared and no apologies. Why even bother with a reservation then? 2 - after being seated, it took another 10-15 mins for waiter to even acknowledge us. 3 - i had to send the steak back twice because it was not cooked to order - again, no apologies, no discount, nothing offerred. The only positive thing about the visit was the view. Again, we were really disappointed and won't be coming back.Special Features:
- DisappointedAMorlettVIPDined on 11/22/2014Hello, This past week was really rough for me at work, so I decided to go to my favorite restaurant, however left disappointed. Our server was not attentive at all, and I decided to try out a different food menu and could not eat it. Overall, not a good experience. Its definitely hit and miss with this place. Last time I was there our server was absolutely amazing. Anyway, i am probably not going back for a while:(Special Features:
- Great food! Average service.Judie1170VIPDined on 11/22/2014Although the food was excellent (as usual)! We had a terrific seat in a booth by the back wall allowing us to see the harbor and the lights on North Island. Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in a lonnnng time! Yummm!!!UnikladyVIPDined on 11/16/2014My bf won a special award and he wanted to take me somewhere special. I got to choose between two delicious high end places, one Sea Food in La Jolla the other steak at Ruth's Chris. It was quiet without a lot of people as even the neighborhood down by the Embarcadero was quiet. We both knew what we were getting before we went as I got an email telling me about a delicious two lobster tail and filet special they were running. Our waiter was lovely, a very nice man. He was quick with always making sure we had full water. He helped make the meal perfect. When we ordered, we told him what we wanted with specificity. We ordered the special, mine charbroiled top with rare interior filet, my boyfriends well done. We split a caesar salad and a baked potato loaded. The salad came and I had asked specifically for no salt or pepper on anything. Unfortunately the salad was full of pepper so we had to return it for another one. This time they split them, knowing that we were splitting it and the portions were lovely. We got bread with it and the bread did seem a little old. That is the only negative I have to say. The salad was very good. Our meal came quickly and it looked delicious and mouth watering. The lobster tails looked about 6 inches at least, they were truly beautiful to look at. There was drawn butter on the plate but they didn't need anything, they were so delicious on their own. The baked potato was so yummy as well and went quickly as we split that too. Lastly we each had our filets. My bf finished his very quickly, a shiny clean plate! Mine was soooo delicious, one of the best steaks in a long time, so hot and juicy and just buttery . . . melting on my tongue. One of those meals you don't want to end. It was perfect, we weren't too full, just right and it was a true celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steaksBobDDined on 11/14/2014The waitstaff is very friendly and knowledgeable. Nice view overlooking San Diego Bayside towards North Island. Steak perfectly cooked to medium-rare served on a sizzling plate. Get the Crabtini appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st Dining @ Ruth's ChrisOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/13/2014ambiance was just right, our table overlooking the San Diego bay, food was scrumptious and the pinot noir selected a perfect match for the occasion. setting was simple... but with substance..... my wife and I enjoyed the fine dining at Ruth's Chris. We're definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningKarenDined on 11/8/2014The food was divine. LOVED the apple/walnut/blue cheese salad. I like my steak well done, and it was cooked perfectly (no butterflying required). Nice pre-dinner cocktail selection and wine list for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ruth ChrisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014The food was amazing! It was a place we'd always wanted to go to and now have. It was a Friday evening 7ish - a lot of larger groups, we were two seated amongst tables of 6 people, so kinda hard to hear. The servers were using the landing railing behind my seat for stacking silverware a(knives and forks I believe) so they were constantly behind me talking and reaching for those which were within my peripheral vision, a bit annoying for being in a higher scale place. Maybe on a week night it would be better, but special occasions don't always happen on a week day. We are glad we went and had the experience. We agreed we would not return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak Tonight???2glasseofredwineadayVIPDined on 11/5/2014Tender beef and perfect sides....They still serve with class...Long time favorite...Special Features:
- awesome steakscamaromanDined on 11/1/2014cowboy ribeye was awesome, great sides, fantastic view. Was our 39th ann. and they printed that on the first page of our menu, so cool. service is the best we will be backSpecial Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Went to Ruth's Chris for a friends birthday dinner. The staff went above and beyond to make our dining experience for enjoyable. I would recommend Ruth's Chris to anyone. They're food is amazing and the customer service is awesome. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Our Special Occasion DestinationLoriAnnDined on 10/29/2014It's pricey so we usually only go once a year, for Mother's Day, because it's one of my favorite restaurants. We just celebrated my husband's 50th birthday and the food & service were outstanding as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Good ExperiencetheDateNightManDined on 10/25/2014The food was excellent. My server would sometimes disappear though. Outside of my MIA server, we really enjoyed ourselves. It is really great for a date night. Management took the time to ask how we were doing. Nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrong!!!BennyDined on 10/24/2014We came here to celebrate my wife's birthday before going to a ghost tour in Old Town. We are well accommodated inspite coming late for our reservations. Our server Blake make us very comfortable and provided a great service with real emphasis on my wife's birthday. We only have a tiny over cooked steak instead of medium rare it came as a medium cooked but still enjoyed the natural flavoring and how it's prepared. Blake offered to give as another set of steak but told him that we are in a hurry instead he offered us dessert to go that we enjoyed when we went home. Thanks Blake and the surely we are going to return next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic wedding anniversaryJavaGirlDined on 10/19/2014We decided to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary here since this was the place my husband took me on our first date! Ruth's Chris staff went above and beyond to make our dinner memorable. From personalized menu to red heart confettis sprinkled all over our table to anniversary dessert, it was simply amazing! Thank you Ruth's Chris!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Food was great, service was excellent. My steak was cooked to perfection, and it was delicious. The staff made sure the dining experience was exceptional. I will be coming back to this restaurant, and I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luis was great !BuschwomenDined on 10/18/2014Attention and birthday confetti and desert, view was great and steaks were fantastic, Our first time here and will come back ,liked the Vanilla cream beer !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service was fantasticEathere469Dined on 10/14/2014Luis was our server, he was pleasant, service was top notch. All of the food was hot and very well done. Would recommend a meal here anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive dining experienceluvfinediningDined on 10/12/2014Even if steak is not your favorite choice, you will change your mind about filet's after tasting Ruth Chris' choices. I'm a foodie, very particular and don't give out many outstanding comments. However, the food and service here deserves an excellent recommendation.Special Features:
- Expensive, but good.MonicaPVIPDined on 10/11/2014The spouse and I ordered the porter house for two and it was delicious .. we ordered it medium rare and it was closer to rare .. so the cooks should pay more attention to the order. The lobster mac/cheese was ok .. I wasn't fond of the jalapeno taste and won't order this again. The Raspberry Rosemary Cosmo was divine .. I'd go back just for this drink !!
- Superb!!!!!RionaDined on 10/10/2014We've been going to Ruth's cris for the last 10+ years. It's by far the best steak house around. Service is very,very good!!!! Our favorite server is Blake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family dinnerLuv2dineDined on 10/3/2014My husband, son and I had a great dinner, with excellent service. Had to wait for 20 minutes after our reservation time but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too NoisyTropicaleVIPDined on 10/3/2014We went during Restaurant Week and they were very busy. They stuck us in a room that is probably used for private parties and large groups. It was very poor seating planning to put a couple (2 people) in a room of all large parties. There were about 12 tables which had 4 to 12 people at them and the noise level wasn't just loud it was "painful"! BTW a manager did make the rounds and stop by all the tables and we espressed our displeasure and he did give us a quick "sorry. The food and service was great but the noise level really spoiled our time!Special Features:
- Sunset PerfectKaroPeachDined on 10/3/2014Great food, great service, beautiful sunset...will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good but not GREAT619foodieDined on 10/2/2014Our Ruth Chris dining experience was good but not GREAT. Restaurant was poorly lit and noise level was high. One table had too much to drink. The manager was clearly concerned. The steaks were tasty and well prepared. Service was great. However, if you want to spend $100 or more per person, then knock yourself out. For the price, I was expecting gold plated steaks that would knock me off my feet! The 500 degree plate statement is a gimmick. Charging for separate entrees is another gimmick. If I am pay $50 for a broiled steak, I would expect a baked potato or a side vegetable dish. The desert was purchased in bulk and replated. I am sure that many that would disagree with me. This is just my opinion. I prefer to spend my money elsewhere.
- gorgeousMo9330VIPDined on 10/2/2014Incredible views of the San Diego Bay so ask for an outside or window table. We tried their restaurant week menu and I would highly recommend it for a great deal and a chance to try a few items on the menu you might not normally pay attention to. Their seared ahi tuna was incredible. Very filling, expertly cooked, seasoned, and served. The jumbo scallops with sweet corn, spinach and baby tomatoes were just perfect. Not what I would normally get at a steakhouse, but the hubby did the rib eye so I HAD to try something else. His rib eye was excellent, although if you get the au poirve sauce, maybe ask for it on the side; we got a heavy pour. I did a wine pairing with my dinner and got an amazing and recommended pinot noir from Belle Glos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night DiningfoodiesdDined on 10/1/2014Ruth's Chris always provides excellent and impeccable service. It has wonderful ocean and downtown views and there really isn't a bad seat in the whole place. The steak is wonderfully delicious along with the mashed potatoes. If you are considering am appetizer, definitely order the tuna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good choice!MsMissyGourmetDined on 9/28/2014The food is great, always. The wine selection is excellent, the service is reliable and the San Diego location has a marvelous view of the marina. A wonderful place for a date night. Going solo is no problem there either. The bar area has smaller tables and the service is not any less wonderful. I travel for work and go there for dinner often before I fly out of San Diego. They check my bags while I dine! YAY! Thr airport is 5 minutes away and cabs are easily accessible. I'm never dissapointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ribeye ravesFitFoodieDined on 9/27/2014Cans here for Restaurant Week...again. As always, they have the best selection for a mere $45. Get the sweet potato casserole for a $2 prix fixe difference. You won't be sorry. And a medium cooked ribeye is the delicious way to go. Thank you for your great service Liz!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Engagement AnniversaryRestaurantLoversDined on 9/26/2014My fiance and I have been wanting to try this place for a few years, and finally did. Since it was restaurant week we ordered of the prefixed menu, and we were booth very pleased with the whole dining experience. We will defenitly be back after were done paying for our wedding. Lol!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014$45 per meal which is a great price but we were served instant mashed potatoes and they were gross. The creme brûlée was delicious.Special Features:
- Restaurant week traditionLouieCVDined on 9/26/2014We have made a tradition of coming here for restaurant week. Good food and ambiance. Cheers!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week - First TimerFamilyof3Dined on 9/26/2014We have been wanting to try this place for some time, and with Restaurant Week it was a great opportunity. The food was delish - they were very busy because of the price fixe menu, but everything was perfect. The staff was friendly, and the food - AMAZING! We will definitely go back for another occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceLyyyssssDined on 9/26/2014Our food was great and our server Ben was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday made special!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014From the hostess spreading confetti on table as we were seated to every waiter and staff saying Happy Birthday, to candle on dessert and framed picture to take home, was a nice way to celebrate birthday. Of course food was fabulous too! Great Restaurant Week special was exceptional with three courses.Special Features:
- DeliciousLoves2travelDined on 9/26/2014What can I say, Ruth Chris never disappoints. We had the seared Ahi, and shrimp cocktail as an appetizer, petite filet with sautéed mushrooms and stuffed chicken with garlic mash potatoes, for dessert, chocolate cake and cheesecake and ice cream...all of the food was amazing! The steak just melts in your mouth. Will be coming again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sbdDhelDined on 9/25/2014Amazing level of service. Love the attention to detail in food and acknowledging special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mouth wateringJaTopinionDined on 9/25/2014My wife and I ate at Ruth Chris for San Diego restaurant week. The ahi appetizer was delicious and so tasty. Our ribeye steaks were cooked to perfection and juicy and delicious. The waiters were very attentive and polite and the view is beautiful. The restaurant itself is clean and classy. While the menu is costly the guality of the food here is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sTRIPLErDined on 9/25/2014I remember coming here before restaraunt week years ago or ever knew restaraunt week ever existed. The steaks here are amazing. The seasoning is so simple yet the steaks comes out bursting with flavor. The seared ahi is to die for and you better have your prayers ready for the chocolate sin cake.Special Features:
- awesomelizthebizzDined on 9/24/2014great service...awesome food..a little pricey but so worth it.Special Features: