Ruth's Chris Steak House - New York City - Midtown
148 West 51st Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Ruth's Chris Steak House - New York City - Midtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ruthschris.com/Steak-House/3834/New-York-City/Manhattan
- Phone: (212) 245-9600
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday - Friday 11:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., DINNER: Monday 3:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m., Tuesday - Thursday 3:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m., Friday 3:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m., Saturday 4:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m., Sunday 4:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Dan O'Donnell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Ruth's Catering in New York City, NY - Bring the service, expertise and flavor of Ruth's Chris Steak House to the location of your choice! Your Private Event Manager is ready to help attend to every detail of your event, from the menu to the martinis. Ruth's will bring in a team of trained chefs, bartenders and servers to make the most of your experience.
- Private Party Facilities: Ruth's Chris Steak House is the perfect location for your business meeting, cocktail reception, rehearsal dinner, birthday or anniversary party.
- Private Party Contact: Tiffany Melina 8776241927
A word from Ruth's Chris Steak House - New York City - Midtown
Ruth's Chris Steak House in New York, NY serves the finest USDA Prime beef available, broiled at 1,800° and served on 500° plates, so your steak stays hot, juicy and delicious from first bite to last. Enjoy our New Orleans-inspired appetizers, USDA Prime steaks, fresh seafood, signature side dishes and homemade desserts. All this while you enjoy our warm, inviting atmosphere and Ruth’s Chris’ genuine hospitality. So whether you’re a regular or have just been wondering what all the buzz is about, Ruth's Chris is the perfect excuse to enjoy the perfect night out. Dinner is served nightly, reservations are suggested and private dining and offsite catering may be arranged.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Ruth's Chris Steak House - New York City - Midtown - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Ruth's Chris Steak House - New York City - Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
264 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (176)romantic (121)good for groups (91)fit for foodies (90)notable wine list (64)great for lunch (40)neighborhood gem (34)hot spot (24)vibrant bar scene (23)kid-friendly (16)late-night find (11)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Last time nowOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/26/2014I have been several time to this Ruth's Chris, but now it was the last time. Being with a party of 4 we got the smallest table. since we are good eaters and order lots of side dishes, it is a puzzle to get to everything as table is far too small. I can not understand when a restaurant is almost empty, not to offer to the customer the option to choose the table that he likes It is so important to be happy with your table. One will like a corner, another the center, another a cozy small table, another a larger table. On top of that, it is always freezing in this restaurant. by the way, also the plates are small (makes sense, since the tables are small) which is also not comfortable to acommodate all the side dishes you order. It all is not comfortable and most irritating.
- Top tier steakhousePerlVIPDined on 11/22/2014Had heard of Ruth's Chris for years but never thought of them as a steakhouse-level establishment. Could not have had a wronger assumption. Service was great, food was delicious and ambiance was great. The hot plates kept food the right temperature throughout the meal. Nice touch. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overall experienceluvsgoodfoodDined on 11/21/2014Went here with my wife for our anniversary and she had the lobster tails and 6oz ribeye which she loved. I had the New York strip steak (medium well). Only issue was the New York strip was a bit on the dry side. We also had Calamari as an appetizer(absolutely marvelous). We had mashed potatos and creamed spinach for sides which tasted great. Surprisingly there is no strict dress code at the restaurant( i.e some other customers wore sweats). Overall my wife and I enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LamchopVIPDined on 11/20/2014We went for an earlier dinner before catching a show. We had only one hour but service was perfect. we enjoyed great meal and arrived at the theatre on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experiencedinnercrowdDined on 11/18/2014We go there when we're in NYC. Pretty reliable, quality of the fillet has fluctuated over the years. This time we had a really good dinner experience. Our fillet this time was excellent and cooked exactly the way we requested. Staff was very attentive. Able to handle dietary needs and comfortably meet our time constraints to make a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSuzeVIPDined on 11/16/2014Have heard about Ruth's Chris Steakhouses for years so thought we would give it a try. Regretfully we were disappointed. The steaks were fine but all of the menu offerings were far too large for one person. No one needs to eat that much beef or food in general! The mashed potato side item was large enough for two but was very bland. We had the classic dinner and regretfully this was the only potato choice. We would have preferred a baked potato. Again the baked potatoes were quite large from the looks of the other plates. Salads and dessert were good. Service was spotty and steak was undercooked and had to be sent back. Our server could not answer questions about the menu. She went and found someone else who was excellent and answered our questions. Our server was not attentive or friendly. In this day and time it would be great if restaurants would provide smaller serving sizes and lower price points for those who do not want to eat portions large enough for 2 or 3 people. Not everyone can take home leftovers especially if you are staying in a hotel.Special Features:
- Really disappointingScottVIPDined on 11/15/2014I've been to Ruth's Chris many times over the years and the last visit was hugely disappointing. The service seemed like amateur hour, the quality of the food was poor, my steak was very fatty with plenty of grissle (sp?), the dessert was weak, and the place just looks a bit tired. I would go elsewhere.
- Met expectations!LuvtheseaDined on 11/15/2014My husband, our three (adult) children enjoyed our city weekend more as a result of our wonderful meal. The service was top-shelf. We will surely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B1234VIPDined on 11/15/2014I requested a special, romantic table for two -- and they delivered. The service was impeccable and the staff was genuinely friendly, helpful, patient, and professional. They really connected with us. The steaks and seafood were prepared exactly to our liking. Everything through the crème brulee was beyond delicious. I guess that's why Ruth's Chris deserves its reputation as the finest steakhouse anywhere. My compliments to the chef and staff. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fast attentive service and quality foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/14/2014Attentive Bar, helpful bussers, on the spot wait service - and the food / small plates: lobster, tuna, brisket sliders, Caesar salad along with some some beverages hit the spot - while the burger sliders we were not happy with. Had the lunch burger a couple weeks ago and it was perfectly fine. There seem to be something a lil off about the meat this time - its teh same meat - however the texture was almost pate / mealy like consistency. They promptly removed them from the table/bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AdvisoryVIPDined on 11/13/2014Multiple visits. Always well handled (but bench waits are annoying). Solid fare. Layout of separate, smaller rooms allows for more comfortable and muted ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014I came here for my anniversary with my fiance and it was amazing. Our server JOE, was the best. So attentive, sweet and had a great sense of humor. I've been here before, but this by far was my best visit. I am sure it had alot to do with our server, but it was just an amazing occasion.Special Features:
- if you want a great steakfoodieDined on 11/8/2014Food is always cooked to perfection, service is wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Special evening for my daughter's 18th birthday. Service was wonderful and our waitress brought a special dessert with candles. Very thoughtful! Food as always was amazing.Special Features:
- Perfect 4 Special Occ. Thtr. GoersNorCalMomDined on 11/8/2014Outstanding food and service! -- The location is perfect for anyone looking for a place to celebrate a special occasion. It's walking distance to almost any Broadway show! They are VERY prepared to handle large tables. Our service was outstanding. We were a table of six and were seated upstairs along with several other large tables. We however, we did NOT feel squished in. the tables were large and dinning space was a spacious low ceilinged room. Although the dinning room did get a bit loud when all of the tables were full, it was never "noisy". The bar downstairs looked like a cosy, quiet place to grab a cocktail pre or post show. Not cheap. But the prices are worth it for the amazing food & service. A lovely high end oasis in midtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ruth Chris Steak House-ManhattanadamarDined on 11/7/2014In the past, the steaks have been somewhat hit or miss. This time they were a big hit. The filet mignon and rib eyes were done perfectly (medium rare)--so juicy, tender and delicious. This time they were not served on a hot sizzling greasy butter platter, which I never liked. They often continued to cook the meat. Also, the size of the steak on their pre-fixe menu has been increased. The crab meat cocktail was excellent as were all of the side dishes (mashed potatoes, broccoli hollandaise, string beans). The apple crisp with vanilla ice cream was huge (enough for 2 or 3 people) and most delicious. We departed very happy over our delightful meal which was close to perfect!Special Features:
- Return trip disappointingMikeDined on 11/7/2014My wife and I are fans of Ruth's Chris and go to our local (Princeton NJ) for special occasions. This was our third trip to the Midtown location. Enjoyed drinks at the bar before being seated, and our waiter appeared to be excellent at the get-go. However, when the entrees were delivered, my ribeye and sautéed mushrooms arrived, but all my wife got was her creamed spinach... no filet! Once the deliverer pointed this out to our waiter, he was quick to apologize and a filet appeared shortly. Then, after dinner, our coffees were served but we waited forever for the cheesecake...c'mon it's not as if it was baked fresh! A disappointing finish to an expensive dinner already marred with the entrees. I'll chalk this up to a onetime error.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerMGrangerDined on 11/7/2014I booked our reservation on my brother in laws reccomemdation, and was blown away. It was expensive but definitely worth it. The service was great from the minute we walked in and said we had reservations, to the minute we walked out. The appetizer and our dinner were amazing!!!! To start we got a lobster with a spicy kick to it which was very good. For dinner, I got the fillet mignon on the bone. It was the best steak I ever had by far. My husband ordered the fillet mignon, and said it was cooked to perfection. We both ordered one side each and was able to share them. We didn't order dessert but did have the cappachino, and it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post NYC marathon mealTom1Dined on 11/2/2014Great meal with fantastic service. Nothing exotic, but consistent high quality. Perfect when you just want a great meal. It was my daughters birthday and they played that well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not meet expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/2014We dined at Ruth Chris' on a Saturday night and had an average experience for a premium price. The service was fine, however, the food was not what we expected. Our salads (Ceasar and Wedge) were both mediocre, and the steaks we ordered were not much better. For this price, we prefer to dine at The Palm -- which is where I suggest you go instead of here.
- ExperienceKevinDined on 11/1/2014I have nothing but ultimate praise for this restaurant in this tremendously competitive market. The total experience from the reservation that was made through the coat check process was greatly pleasurable. With respect to the food, the complimentary wine, the recommended cocktail to the dessert all of which was delectable. Do yourself the favor and treat yourself to this NYC treasure.Special Features:
- Nice MealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014My wife and I had a nice post theater meal. The steak was nice and tasty, however I have had steaks at 1/2 the price that were just as good. Having never been to Ruth Chris steakhouse before, we wanted to give it a try. While I have no regrets, it is not a restaurant that I will visit on our regular trips to the city. There are better values available.Special Features:
- Excellent steak and foodzampacortaDined on 10/31/2014Very very very excellent steak and all the other food (superb crab cakes, creamy spinach, etc.). The dining room is classic, too calm and silent (for Manatthan!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SteakPORTERHOUSEDined on 10/31/2014Excellent Porterhouse Steak, 2nd time there, will go back everytime I 'm in NYC .Special Features:
- good classic dishescherluiVIPDined on 10/24/2014Nice quiet uncrowded NYC restaurant. I ordered the lobster mac and cheese and was disappointed that the macaroni was cooked too soft. Capital Grille has an awesome lobster mac n cheese. The chopped salad was excellent as the petite fillet. Very good service.Special Features:
- Tasty steaks-cheesecake to die for!agostelowDined on 10/23/2014We picked Ruth's Chris for a special family meal out as part of our trip to NYC. I had been to another branch in Dubai and other members of my family have recommended them from Florida locations. We were certainly not disappointed by the quality and taste of the food, or the service. Delicious steaks, great tasting fresh vegetables - our only issue was the portion size. We were warned they were large but still over ordered what we could eat. We'd learnt our lesson by dessert and had a fantastic individual cheesecake which was the best we have tasted (between three of us by now!) The restaurant made us feel very welcome and our 15 and 12 year old steak lovers weren't a problem. Thanks for a great meal and evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chris Ruth steakhouse!sg38Dined on 10/20/2014This place was a great find and I enjoy the whole atmosphere and service we receive on Monday night. I would recommend thisthis beautiful place RM to family and friends! The porterhouse and wine selection was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerHOWIEVIPDined on 10/18/2014They are always accomdating to customize our order needs as to preparationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frank & Andrew - Great ServiceNew2NYDined on 10/18/2014I chose this location for its distance to the theatre district for a pre show meal. I was very impressed with both my waiters Frank and Andrew. When we established that we had a 8pm show to attend, they both made sure our meals arrived promptly and with the added convenience of bringing the bill at the same time as our meals. This made the meal enjoyable as there was no stress nor rush. I have to say my cut of steak was also very well cooked and i enjoyed it thoroughly. I would recommend Ruth's Chris Steak House as an energetic and delicious, stress free place to visit for those wanting a great meal & wonderful service before an evening show in the city
- Amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014We went to celebrate my wife's 40th. Our server went above and beyond to make our experience a great one. amazing food as well. totally recommend for anyone celebrating a special occasion or just wanting a great night out. Also, right down the street from the Gershwin Theatre.. walking distance in high heels lolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, wonderful food;MikeTDined on 10/16/2014Karen was great and the rest of the team provided perfect service. The seared tuna starter was delicious but the steak trumped it in flavor and preparation. I would recommend both and the restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyDined on 10/16/2014Service was excellent. Recommendations by wait staff was appropriate as we had to be at a play. Steaks were cooked perfectly, salad was split for two. Sound level was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceNYCFoodieDined on 10/15/2014Great food as always. But the service was not great. Waited forever for a menu. The waiter had an attitude. Not what I'm used to dining out. If you go to this plce be mindful of the wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STEAKSMalkoDined on 10/14/2014It's been a very long time that we had not eaten such a good T Bone and sirloin. Wine List exhaustive and Very God Wine sold also by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Luncheatnbe7Dined on 10/14/2014Very comfortable restaurant. Great food and service. Old fashioned interest by the staff on how we were enjoying ourselves!Special Features:
- Post theater surf and turfNkeslakeDined on 10/12/2014Excellent service! Delicious lobster and steak combo. It was a solid, very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy once again!MrsQDined on 10/11/2014Had our anniversary dinner here again. Food and service were great as usual. Looking forward to coming back soon.Special Features:
- A perfect eveningNJDREWDined on 10/11/2014We simply enjoyed a fabulous evening. Service, food, atmosphere and even the music playing softly in the background provided for a beautiful anniversary celebration. The bone in filet migon was delicious and cooked to absolute perfection.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014Great time good food and drinks I had the best waiter he made sure we was good our entire time and then patron margaritas was on point...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love Ruth's ChrisSuzyQDined on 10/4/2014Our first time at this location! Loved the ambiance and the service and food was amazing as usual! Per our reservation comments, they even decorated our table for my birthday! Only complaint, wish the chilean sea bass was on the menu like at the Garden City location. We loved our petite filets and scallops. Delicious and we had a wonderful evening at the restaurant. Hope to go back soon!Special Features: