Ruth's Chris Steak House - Kohala Coast
68-1330 Mauna Lani Drive #121
Kamuela, HI 96743Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Ruth's Chris Steak House - Kohala Coast
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ruthschris.com/
- Phone: (808) 887-0800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm | Sundays 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jacob Cook
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining at Ruth's Chris Steak House is the perfect way to make any meeting memorable and any event a celebration. Your family, friends or associated enjoy the unparalleled Ruth's Chris menu and be pampered by the aloha-spirited staff. Make Ruth's Chris Steak House the for your next meeting, party or family gathering. (The private dining room seats 12.) NEW! RUTH'S CHRIS STEAK HOUSE IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRIVATE LUNCHEONS! MINIMUMS APPLY. PLEASE INQUIRE.
- Private Party Contact: Deborah Wund 8088870800
- Special Events: Ruth’s Chris Steak House (Hawaii) offer a Sizzlin’ Prime Time Dinner Special featuring a 3-course menu starting at $39.95 (not including tax & gratuity.)Served nightly from 5-6:00pm. Happy Hour served in the lounge from 5-7pm
A word from Ruth's Chris Steak House - Kohala Coast
Welcome to Ruth's Chris Steak House. When you visit Ruth's Chris, you'll soon understand that this is no ordinary restaurant. From the USDA prime steaks, broiled to perfection in a trademark 1800 degree oven and served on a plate heated to 500 degrees, to the expertly executed seafood, island fresh fish, New Orleans inspired appetizers, unforgettable desserts and an award winning wine list, you will find that this is the steakhouse to which others aspire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Ruth's Chris Steak House - Kohala Coast - Best Restaurants in Kohala Coast ›
Ruth's Chris Steak House - Kohala Coast reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (26)romantic (19)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (13)notable wine list (12)great for outdoor dining (8)kid-friendly (8)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Ruth's Chris failOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/26/2014I've dined at multiple RC in my time and usually have a great experience but this location does not live up to the RC brand. The service and location were fine but the food quality was sub par. This location is probably owned by a franchisee as I can not imagine it being a corporate owned site that served food even my young kids said was "just ok." The service was very friendly and if you sit on the outdoor patio and have wine, it's great.Special Features:
- Service below parRonGDined on 11/10/2014We sat outside mainly to watch a Hawaiian outdoor performance. It was a very warm and calm evening void of wind. I asked two different wait persons if they would turn the fans on above our table as the heat was sniffling. In each case the responses were similar, that they would check in to why the fans were not on. I might add, the fans inside the dining room were on. What we got in return were no fans were turned on, nor did either wait person come back to the table with an explanation. As a matter of fact, neither wait person ever returned except to deliver the check after we had finished our meal.
- Ruth's Chris' MissOuiniVIPDined on 11/5/2014The restaurant was packed so the very long wait for the drink order to arrive may have been a victim of size of the crowd. Not particularly intent on steak for dinner on the Big Island, the barbecued shrimp was an apparent safe choice but the dish had little of the expected flavor promised in the menu. The best side was the fresh corn that did have an identity. For the price and selections there are too many interesting restaurants close by that would negate any return to Ruth's Chris'
- Kohala Coast GemCW4dineVIPDined on 11/5/2014Both the blackened Mahi Mahi special and center cut filet were awesome - and cooked to perfection. Melissa, our server, made our 30th Anniversary dinner a most pleasant experience - especially when presented with our flaming strawberry dessert! The fact that it was "Wine Wednesday" meant our excellent bottle of wine was 25% off...nice promotion. Both the evening and the dinner were perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeStylnxlDined on 11/4/2014Always has great service and the most delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaksMemoVIPDined on 11/2/2014This is an excellent Ruth's Chris restaurant. In addition to the usual menu items they offer chefs's specials highlighting local foods and products. Great cocktails and ambiance and a steak cooked to perfection highlighted our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGgoodfoodVIPDined on 10/21/2014SPENT 10 DAYS ON BIG ISLAND !!! WENT BACK 3 TIMES, WE ASKED FOR OUR WAITER MIKE EACH TIME. IT'S GREAT TO HAVE AN OUTSTANDING EXPERIENCE EACH TIME & WONDERFUL FOOD & SUPERB SERVICESpecial Features:
- Big Island DinningCOOCPBLTDDined on 10/20/2014Outstanding service from Mellisa.Steak was great. Road way's around area need better signage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- supergoodfoodVIPDined on 10/17/2014it was so good we went b ack a second night with a guest. so far it's he best diner we had. will o back again before we leave..\best mai tia sofar, beck drinks also. our waiter mike was excellent.Special Features:
- Bad Franchise LocationBigJDined on 9/27/2014The window sills next to our booth were layered in dust balls, the manager was incapable of modifying our bill for 4 people from # of Guests:3 to the actual count and didn't seem to car about the dust or take any responsibility for anything!
- V. good, was hoping for excellentAnniversarycoupleDined on 9/11/2014Booked here for a balcony table to watch the Polynesian show that starts at 7pm. Reservation was for 5:30pm and my husband and I ordered off the pre fix menu. I had the catch of the day (snapper) and he had the petite filet. My fish was over cooked. He said his steak was done as he ordered it, but not his favorite steak ever. This was my husband's first time at a Ruth's, and I had hoped he would have loved it. Our waiter was very attentive and the service was excellent. We were celebrating our anniversary and were served flaming strawberries as a surprise and given a card with a coupon for a future visit. Very nice touch. A great location to see the Polynesian show on Thursday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningSilvDined on 8/29/2014Everything was great! The staff was friendly and extremely helpful with the menu. It such a warm and inviting place. Great place for special occasions or a nice romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely the BEST Steaks!by9446Dined on 8/21/2014Great food, attentive staff and very accommodating. We make Ruth's Chris Steak House a destination while holidaying as a way to wind down. Highly recommend to others.Special Features:
- Delicious birthday dinnerbq107Dined on 8/18/2014We went to the Ruths Chris Steakhouse to celebrate my wife's birthday. She had rack of lamb, cooked perfectly with a juicy pink center and served with an amazing blackberry dipping sauce. I had the 24 ounce T-Bone steak, which was tender, juicy and flavorful. We shared a side order of au gratin potatoes. Our waiter, Wyatt, was attentive and friendly. He brought out strawberries in a flaming rum sauce as a complimentary treat for my wife. It was an excellent touch to close out the amazing dinner. The perfect evening was closed out with one of the most beautiful sunsets we have seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak Anywhere24dinnerDined on 8/16/2014Ruth's Chris Steak House at Mauna Lani Shop is a must stop, must go place to eat! Their early dinner special is definitely worth the price. Our favorite is starting with the Louisiana Gumbo, and then enjoying the "melt-in-your-mouth" prime filet with sauteed mushrooms and mashed potatoes, and ending with their bread pudding with whiskey sauce dessert. We never miss a chance to eat there when we are on the Kohala Coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at this restaurantdedeDined on 8/12/2014I had always wanted to try Ruth's Chris steak house. I finally got my chance on a trip to Hawaii. The food and service was to die for. I had the Filet and it was the best ever. My martini was so good, I have no idea what the magic was, but it was beyond my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ruth's Chris WaikoloaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/2/2014Wasn't up to the usual Ruth's Chris experience. This was the first time my rib eye was bland and I had to add salt. It's usually top notch, I think it was just an off night and the meat itself.Special Features:
- The following 259 reviews are from the Ruth's Chris Steak House - Kohala Coast reviews archive.
- Best steaks!Judie1170VIPDined on 7/29/2014Ruth's continues to excel! Wonderful service and terrific steaks. I'm never disappointed when I eat at Ruth's...Special Features:
- Great steaks & chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014The chicken dish is amazing even though it is a steak place? Mashed potatoes and the corn on the cob was fantastic!Special Features:
- Great all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014Great food and great service. Everything you would expect from a 4 star steakhouseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner!MelandJJDined on 7/11/2014Really good steaks and appetizers. Waiter was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakQwasthereDined on 7/9/2014The food is excellent but pricey. The staff are all very helpful and takes care of you. Noise level was a little high but quiet enough to have a private conversation without the entire restaurant hearing.Special Features:
- Once there, perfectDontwannacooktoniteVIPDined on 7/9/2014The ambiance is great. Steaks are as good as you can find anywhere and way better than anything else on this Island. Wednesday night all wines 25% off which brings process down to the way too expensive but I'll pay it range. Very nice wine list. Place was packed at 5:30, very nice to see after years of no one there. Only hitch was failure of manager or staff to read our special requests on booking page before we arrived. I wanted champagne waiting and wanted to see wine list with vintages to pre order a Cabernet and let it breathe - no one saw it until we had already ordered cocktails. I blame manager, not wait staff who were nice and very attentive.Special Features:
- alvinDined on 7/7/2014Bartender who served us in teh bar dining ara was excellent, very personable, professional and pleasant, wonderful aloha spirit..Special Features:
- operative word. .consistentCusogolfVIPDined on 7/7/2014Always goid, always hot food, never disappointed.Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014Great food with excellent service. A real dining experience. Worth the money for a romantic occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!!!AwesomeDined on 6/30/2014Awesome food and service - a great place for dinner!!! The steaks are amazing and the banana dessert is awesome!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ruth's Chris Disappointsmoosed26Dined on 6/4/2014The feeling this time around was different. This is the fourth time we have been to this location. There is nothing I would say that is particularly wrong with the restaurant, but after coming back from spending two months in Israel, my perspective has changed. I don't think I will be frequenting this type of restaurant any longer. It's not that Ruth's Chris did anything wrong. I enjoyed my meal. It's that my perspective has changed. Sorry Ruth's Chris, but you've lost a patron, not by anything you did or didn't do, but because I've changed.Special Features:
- Great service and great food!NovicefoodieDined on 5/30/2014Great food as I would expect from all Ruth's Chris restaurants but add on exceptionally friendly and attentive staff that made the dining experience truly exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/28/2014Excellent steaks perfectly cooked as you would expect from a Ruth's Chris Steak House. In addition, we were very pleased with our salads, especially the tomato salad. We topped off our dinner with a Hot Fudge Sunday which was great. I highly recommend dining here as a break from the more typical Hawaiian restaurants.
- Great for special occasion!nbisDined on 5/16/2014We spent our 34th anniversary at the Mauna Lani hotel and took the shuttle to Ruth's Chris. Our dinner was excellent. My husband had the ribeye and I the BBQ shrimp. Both were just perfect. Our server recommended a great Moscato and brought a strawberry flambe to help us celebrate our special night There was a local group singing in the square below the outside seating area so we were treated with lovely music with our dinner. It was a great evening! ! I can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatPaniolo55025VIPDined on 5/11/2014Great service, great atmosphere, great food. ALWAYSSpecial Features:
- Great food, no viewRenpanDined on 5/10/2014Really enjoyed the meal and outdoor seating. Service by Rance was great, and everything was prepared well. Since it's located upstairs in an open air mall, there's really no view. Bread pudding was a bit drier than at other locations, but just a minor observation. Great $8 cup of coffee. We would definitely return. Mahalo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- James made our night.NakashimaDined on 5/7/2014Had a dinner for our 5th anniversary. James, the great server, was very nice and kind. He recommended us to share some of the menues and some additionals and desserts. We had a very nice chat and had a great time there. He is great becuse he does not push us but look at us enought to notice us. Very good. We'll definitely come back.Special Features:
- Another fab birthdayWelovesteakDined on 4/30/2014This restaurant is our go-to celebration place. Always excellent with superior service and delicious wine list. So much food with a bone to take home for our dog, so he even enjoys it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ruth's Chris WaikoloaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/11/2014Everything we had with the exception of the Filet was very good. Both Filet's tasted odd. They were both sent back. The waiter was nice enough about it, however the manager was very curt. Both Filet's were taken off the bill, we were offered replacements, but we turned that down. We did get desserts, which were very good. Our Rib eye's were also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very special evening.KathDined on 4/7/2014We chose to sit outside on the verandah in spite of the windy evening. The staff were all lovely. They offered to move us inside whenever we chose but we persisted and were rewarded by calmness and entertainment in the courtyard below. Warm crusty rolls, whipped butter,and oysters Rockefeller were delicious. We three all had the filet steak. This steak cannot be beat. It was done to perfection, flavourful and the most tender ever. Husband had the one pound potatoe heaped with sour cream , creamed spinach delicious, and I ordered mushrooms. Amazing dinner. Ample servings to share the spinach and mushrooms. We all had warm whiskey sauce bread pudding al amode. Wonderful. Hats off to Chef Darcy. Exceptional all the way.Special Features:
- Unfortunately, not the best nightMemeVIPDined on 4/7/2014We dine here at least once a month. Food and service is usually very good, but on this occasion service was inadequate and so was the food. The rib eye was overdone - Ordered MR, got Medium. This is the second time this has happened in one month. Surprising for such a great steak house that prides themselves on prime beef and cooking it at the perfect temperature. Server took 10 min to approach the table to greet us. Cocktails took another 12 minutes to receive. I asked server Doug how the fresh catch was prepared and he said, Chinese style - I said perfect. When the fish arrived, it was overcooked and served on mashed potatoes with a caper sauce. It was gross. The server said "Oh they changed the presentation".Special Features:
- ServiceKerns1Dined on 3/24/2014Awesome service, well informed on menu and the best way to order itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/21/2014We are frequent visitors to Ruth's Chris restaurants. When we got to the restaurant, we were told that they do not accept reservations in the bar area as we requested. I asked why they did not email us back and tell us. They said they don't do that. Anyway, we said we would just have a drink at the bar and then go to our reserved table. There were two bartenders, a woman and a man. We asked for two glasses of wine. The man said he would get us wine. After quite some time we placed a second request with the woman. More time passed and she finally brought us the wine. Time from arriving at the bar until time we received drinks: 21 minutes. Granted at 6:00 they were in the middle of their Happy Hour, but even so......