Ruth's Chris Steak House - Grand Rapids
187 Monroe NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Ruth's Chris Steak House - Grand Rapids
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (616) 776-6426
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am; Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 1:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Christian Madsen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Contact sales manager for details
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for detail information
- Private Party Contact: Lindsay Essian 6167766418
A word from Ruth's Chris Steak House - Grand Rapids
Ruth's Chris Steak House is located at Amway Hotel in downtown Grand Rapids.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Ruth's Chris Steak House - Grand Rapids - Best Restaurants in Grand Rapids ›
Ruth's Chris Steak House - Grand Rapids reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (30)notable wine list (22)romantic (20)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (5)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Service was good but for the high price the food was below average. Not cooked correctly. My ribeye was well below average for what a ribeye should be. Not tender. Would not recommend or eat there again.
- Not going backSeptbaby19Dined on 11/7/2014We chose this place because we had a gift card for our anniversary. The host, knowing we were there for our anniversary, placed us at a table at which there would be parties seated very close on either side of us. We could listen in to both of their conversations, and said very little to each other, knowing our conversation was not private. This is not the atmosphere anyone would choose if looking for a romantic dinner. In fact, the atmosphere is "sports bar," and very noisy. The food, which was acceptable, but not exceptional (except for perhaps my husband's steak) was ridiculously expensive. The only thing positive I can say is that the service was outstanding--but for the price, it should be. I felt badly that I squandered my gift card on such a bad experience.
- Great DinnerPzickiDined on 10/28/2014My husband and I had a great dinner. We will be returning. Everything was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cos1Dined on 10/25/2014Have dined at several Ruth's Chris restaurants around the country and have found the GR location to be mediocre. The steaks are not what they should be although the side dishes are generally good.Special Features:
- Great food but expensiveWagreviewsDined on 10/22/2014I ordered the petite filet medium, and it was hands down the best steak I have ever eaten, very tender and delicious. The side portions are very large, so two of us shared a beefsteak tomato salad and a sweet potato casserole. Both were exquisite. I had key lime pie for dessert. It was enough for two, but I managed to get it down along with a cup of coffee. Neither disappointed. My friend ordered the same as I but with 3 drinks and no dessert. I also had a nonalcoholic drink. The total bill came to $174.00 (rounded off), including an 18% tip. I won' t be going there often at those prices, but that steak was to die for!Special Features:
- Not bad, Just not very goodHenryDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I visited Ruth's Chris in Grand Rapids for our anniversary. We are fans of steakhouses such as Mortons and Smith and Wollensky, and have eaten at other locations of Ruth's Chris. The Grand Rapids location is just not up to par with the others, and is a number of steps below the Chop House which is located just across the street. The ribeye was bland, the Augratin potatoes just seemed liked sliced potatoes with cheese. No imagination at all. If you're in Grand Rapids, stick with the Chop House.Special Features:
- filet3363UPchefrayDined on 10/6/2014Our visit to your rest. was a nice one. The filet however was not trimmed properly as i was served the wing end of the loin and the rope was not trimmed from the filet. With that said a fine dining rest. such as yours should in my opinion should never have this problem nor should this steak been served. Thank you for your interest in our visit. Chef Ray mahaffySpecial Features:
- energetic dining, no seat belts...NFHUVIPDined on 10/4/2014The dining room was bustling most of the time we dined where an adjacent table's large party was continually popping up out of their seats. The cadre of service staff was adding to the mix resulting in a feeling we were dining in an airport concourse at rush hour. The server started well then disappeared in the maelstrom. Steaks and lamb chops were superb, wine and cocktails excellent in a true 'get what you pay for' fashion. Our departure was handled with utmost courtesy and thoughtfulness by the four or five concierge staff; it was tough keeping score. There must be a quieter place to dine somewhere in Grand Rapids?Special Features:
- DeliciousMchstlDined on 9/29/2014Great sevice & perfectally cooked meals - can't ask for anything moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014a little pricey, but well worth it. The quality of food and service was outstandingI would recommend this to a friend.
- great serviceBruce10Dined on 9/10/2014Our first experience with this location was so-so....the steaks weren't up to the usual standards for this chain....so we were a little apprehensive about our return visit but needed have worried. Our server was quick to offer recommendations that made sense (such as the relative merits of the bone-in ribeye vs. the regular cut) and was knowledgeable about wine and spirits. The ribeye and lamb were excellently prepared -- the lamb chops are a good choice if you aren't in a position to deal with leftovers, but still much larger than most restaurants would offer.Special Features:
- Excellent food at any priceRSEheartDined on 8/22/2014Even though the restaurant is pricey, it is worth every penny! You should expect to pay in total about 100 dollars per person.Special Features:
- Best Steaks!1BaymomVIPDined on 8/18/2014I was part of a larger group, 11 people, enjoying a family dinner at this Grand Rapids outpost of the venerable Ruth's Chris Steak House. The service was excellent and I especially appreciated the regional favorites located on the menu. My husband and I shared a perfectly cooked NY, and our group ordered, and enjoyed, lots of delicious sides including Michigan green beans, asparagus with beautiful hollandaise, loaded baked potatoes, french fries and for desert we shared Key lime pies and apple tart with vanilla ice cream! We will certainly return should our travels take us back to Grand Rapids and I'll try the Ruth's Chris in Palm Desert California too!Special Features:
- Great food, wine and service!SteakoscarDined on 8/16/2014This is our second te eating at Ruth Chris steakhouse. It was a great place to cent ate our anniversary. We will definitely be returning again and highly recommending it to our friends and relatives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service for a Ruth ChrisHmaster2Dined on 8/2/2014We have dined at the Troy location several times. Since we had a weekend getaway without the kids without would have dinner here. As always the food was excellent, but was surprised by the lack of service for what you pay for. In Troy they have take our email address information, received letters. Here there was nothing, no information taken. Our waitress was nowhere to be seen 95% of the time. He was bad enough that we had to wave her down which is not typical of a Ruth Chris restaurant, and they were not even busy. Asked if we can have a window seat and we didn't get one, but 10 minutes later and another couple got the window seat and they had no reservation (we watch them see if it was okay, and their waitress said it was fine)Special Features:
- The following 195 reviews are from the Ruth's Chris Steak House - Grand Rapids reviews archive.
- AWFULMimiDined on 7/18/2014Maybe our expectations were too high, considering we frequent The Chop House often for dinner or even just dessert & drinks. How this place considers themselves THE steakhouse is beyond me. This places doesn't even come in distant second to The Chop House. Underwhelming side dishes, mediocre steak, & a server that didn't care to even ask if we would like another drink. The kicker was when he just walked by & tossed our bill on the table without even making eye contact or speaking to us.
- AndreaDined on 7/11/2014Enjoyed our visit. We ordered the calamari for an appetizer which is probably some of the best we have had. The BLT salad was delicious along with our main course steaks. I was surprised at how much I did not like the sides. Maybe it was our choice (au gratin potatoes and green beans) but I left wishing I had ordered something different. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special celebrationFun4usDined on 7/11/2014We celebrated our 56 wedding anniversary and found our server and others very knowledgeable and fun. Everyone made us feel special and, of course, the food was delicious and beautifully served!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MargaretDined on 7/7/2014Best service ever! Very good food! The Key Lime pie was the best. Kyle is, excellent. The chairs are comfy! The wine list - unbelievable!Special Features:
- Our Special DinnerMakeAMemoryDined on 6/12/2014This was our first time dining at Ruth Chris Steak House. We were celebrating our 15th Wedding Anniversary and everything from start to finish was outstanding. Autumn was an awesome server/waitress. The food was so good. We both had steaks and they just melted in our mouths. Yum! We really appreciated the way your staff all made our anniversary special. We really liked the writing of Happy 15th Anniversary on our dessert plate and how several of your staff told us Happy Anniversary. It just makes it special. Not very many places do that but they should. Keep up the great work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/10/2014It was difficult to make resv. until after 10 AM service was turned off called and got kitchen who couldn't help this service on line should be available 24 hrsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ben Schultz is the best!ForbiddenAppleDined on 6/10/2014Ben has been our server a few times and with his knowledge and experience we don't even need Menzies anymore he just knows what we like and suggested the perfect surf and turf! Lobster appetizer and forbidden apple as dessert I couldn't be more happy with Ben or the food! By far our favorite place to eat in GRSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchmycookiesDined on 5/31/2014Took my sister and her hubby to dinner, and had such a fantastic time!! Excellent service, outstanding food, and the fabulous wine made for a memorable evening! Thank you so much for always exceeding my expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/7/2014It was our wedding anniversary and we were treated very special (they probably do it all the time). We received a complimentary glass of bubbly and the desert place had an anniversary greeting on it in chocolate. An overall special occasion place to spend an evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulAbbyDined on 4/26/2014This restaurant should not have anything on it's menu other than steak! The chefs have no idea how to prepare anything else! I had salmon raw, the wait staff takes it back, brings it back RAW, on the same plate with the bits of salmon that I had picked at scattering the plate! Then I loose my appetite completely but order appetizer crab cakes! They arrive at the table, plate shatters, duh! Since when can ceramic plates withstand 500* temps! Once the crab cakes arrive they are awful!!!! By the way my party had finished dinner ages before! My vegetarian daughter ordered the 3 side veggie option all the veggies were absolutely awful! Menu should read buyer beware This place is only a Steak House!
- Always a perfect mealWholeFamilyDined on 4/26/2014Joyce our server and Buzz the manager made sure our meal was perfect and we had the maximum level of enjoyment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakKrysiaVIPDined on 4/20/2014We had one of the best filets we have ever eaten, bar none. The chef cooked it exactly to order: black and blue! The presentation was impeccable. The service was thoughtful without being overbearing. Kudos all around.Special Features:
- Great OverallLandSharkDined on 4/20/2014Went here for Easter Dinner. Outstanding waitstaff & food overall. Service was prompt when it needed to be prompt and we got to enjoy great food in between service. Steak came out to us as per our order. Sides were very delicious too. Highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a great piece of steak in downtown Grand Rapids.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining Experience!NatebDined on 4/19/2014There is no better dining experience then a steak at a Ruth's Chris. I have been to 4 locations and the one in downtown G.R. is one of the finest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014The Steaks are to die for... I am a frequent visitor and will remain one..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had a great dinner at Ruth'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/29/2014had a great dinner at Ruth's Chris in GR. The Amway Grand hotel/ dinner package was a great deal and dinner was really reasonable for the quality. We had the Porterhouse for two and it was an excellent cut.Special Features:
- Need better Lobster BisquebagladiatorDined on 3/15/2014This is our second trip to this Ruth Chris and both times the lobster bisque was luke warm. Also, my wife and I both ordered the filet medium rare and both were medium. Our service was lacking this trip. We would go quite awhile without seeing our waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service ever.WsmithVIPDined on 3/10/2014Must compliment my server Ian. Best server I've ever had at a restaurant and I eat out a lot. Unobtrusive yet always available. Knowledgable about wine and anticipated needs. Bravo! My only issue is that this Ruth's Chris location does not offer the Ruth's Classic menu which I prefer not so much for the lower prices but because I am a lighter eater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in servicesonjauVIPDined on 3/8/2014While my husband and I have been to this Ruth's Chris many times before and have always enjoyed it, our last visit left much to be desired regarding service. We were greeted by one service member but as his station became busier, we were pushed off to another "co-server", who did an O.K. job. We ended up pouring our own wine as needed. Not characteristic of a four star rated restaurant. The orginal server only came to the table after we had been given the bill. My husband was so angry, he stratched out the name of the "server"on the bill. Will we be back?--Possibly but not seated with Jason B.Special Features:
- Great FoodDDtigersDined on 3/8/2014Steaks are always cooked the way you like, seasoned to perfection. Nice large portions. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first timeSumbeenDined on 3/1/2014This was our first time there. We weren't really sure what to expect, except some good steak. We arrived early and sat at the bar. The bartender was VERY friendly and polite. He told us about the restraunt and told us his favorite appetizers are. Our waiter was just as friendly and warm. The food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014We come here once a year, are never disappointed. Fantastic food and wonderful service. They are always there when you need something but not hovering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- treated like royaltyjulesDined on 3/1/2014I took my husband here for his birthday and it was perfect! We were treated like royalty and the food was fantastic! Thanks for a great memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always 5 star!RobertDined on 3/1/2014I not only choose Ruth's Chris for the great food, but for the exceptional service and I ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful date nightLisaSDined on 2/28/2014I took my husband here for his birthday, and we had a great experience. Our servers were knowledgeable and very attentive, the restaurant was quiet and romantic, and the food was outstanding. It's pricier than we would normally go for a regular date night, but it's perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.