Ruth's Chris Steak House - Grand Rapids
187 Monroe NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Ruth's Chris Steak House - Grand Rapids
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 6167766426
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am; Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 1:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Christian Madsen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Contact sales manager for details
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for detail information
- Private Party Contact: Lindsay Essian 6167766418
A word from Ruth's Chris Steak House - Grand Rapids
Ruth's Chris Steak House is located at Amway Hotel in downtown Grand Rapids.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Ruth's Chris Steak House - Grand Rapids - Best Restaurants in Grand Rapids ›
Ruth's Chris Steak House - Grand Rapids reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (24)notable wine list (15)romantic (14)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)neighborhood gem (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- great serviceBruce10Dined on 9/10/2014Our first experience with this location was so-so....the steaks weren't up to the usual standards for this chain....so we were a little apprehensive about our return visit but needed have worried. Our server was quick to offer recommendations that made sense (such as the relative merits of the bone-in ribeye vs. the regular cut) and was knowledgeable about wine and spirits. The ribeye and lamb were excellently prepared -- the lamb chops are a good choice if you aren't in a position to deal with leftovers, but still much larger than most restaurants would offer.Special Features:
- Excellent food at any priceRSEheartDined on 8/22/2014Even though the restaurant is pricey, it is worth every penny! You should expect to pay in total about 100 dollars per person.Special Features:
- Best Steaks!1BaymomVIPDined on 8/18/2014I was part of a larger group, 11 people, enjoying a family dinner at this Grand Rapids outpost of the venerable Ruth's Chris Steak House. The service was excellent and I especially appreciated the regional favorites located on the menu. My husband and I shared a perfectly cooked NY, and our group ordered, and enjoyed, lots of delicious sides including Michigan green beans, asparagus with beautiful hollandaise, loaded baked potatoes, french fries and for desert we shared Key lime pies and apple tart with vanilla ice cream! We will certainly return should our travels take us back to Grand Rapids and I'll try the Ruth's Chris in Palm Desert California too!Special Features:
- Great food, wine and service!SteakoscarDined on 8/16/2014This is our second te eating at Ruth Chris steakhouse. It was a great place to cent ate our anniversary. We will definitely be returning again and highly recommending it to our friends and relatives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service for a Ruth ChrisHmaster2Dined on 8/2/2014We have dined at the Troy location several times. Since we had a weekend getaway without the kids without would have dinner here. As always the food was excellent, but was surprised by the lack of service for what you pay for. In Troy they have take our email address information, received letters. Here there was nothing, no information taken. Our waitress was nowhere to be seen 95% of the time. He was bad enough that we had to wave her down which is not typical of a Ruth Chris restaurant, and they were not even busy. Asked if we can have a window seat and we didn't get one, but 10 minutes later and another couple got the window seat and they had no reservation (we watch them see if it was okay, and their waitress said it was fine)Special Features:
- AWFULMimiDined on 7/18/2014Maybe our expectations were too high, considering we frequent The Chop House often for dinner or even just dessert & drinks. How this place considers themselves THE steakhouse is beyond me. This places doesn't even come in distant second to The Chop House. Underwhelming side dishes, mediocre steak, & a server that didn't care to even ask if we would like another drink. The kicker was when he just walked by & tossed our bill on the table without even making eye contact or speaking to us.
- AndreaDined on 7/11/2014Enjoyed our visit. We ordered the calamari for an appetizer which is probably some of the best we have had. The BLT salad was delicious along with our main course steaks. I was surprised at how much I did not like the sides. Maybe it was our choice (au gratin potatoes and green beans) but I left wishing I had ordered something different. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special celebrationFun4usDined on 7/11/2014We celebrated our 56 wedding anniversary and found our server and others very knowledgeable and fun. Everyone made us feel special and, of course, the food was delicious and beautifully served!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MargaretDined on 7/7/2014Best service ever! Very good food! The Key Lime pie was the best. Kyle is, excellent. The chairs are comfy! The wine list - unbelievable!Special Features:
- Our Special DinnerMakeAMemoryDined on 6/12/2014This was our first time dining at Ruth Chris Steak House. We were celebrating our 15th Wedding Anniversary and everything from start to finish was outstanding. Autumn was an awesome server/waitress. The food was so good. We both had steaks and they just melted in our mouths. Yum! We really appreciated the way your staff all made our anniversary special. We really liked the writing of Happy 15th Anniversary on our dessert plate and how several of your staff told us Happy Anniversary. It just makes it special. Not very many places do that but they should. Keep up the great work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/10/2014It was difficult to make resv. until after 10 AM service was turned off called and got kitchen who couldn't help this service on line should be available 24 hrsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ben Schultz is the best!ForbiddenAppleDined on 6/10/2014Ben has been our server a few times and with his knowledge and experience we don't even need Menzies anymore he just knows what we like and suggested the perfect surf and turf! Lobster appetizer and forbidden apple as dessert I couldn't be more happy with Ben or the food! By far our favorite place to eat in GRSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchmycookiesDined on 5/31/2014Took my sister and her hubby to dinner, and had such a fantastic time!! Excellent service, outstanding food, and the fabulous wine made for a memorable evening! Thank you so much for always exceeding my expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 187 reviews are from the Ruth's Chris Steak House - Grand Rapids reviews archive.
- Anniversary ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/7/2014It was our wedding anniversary and we were treated very special (they probably do it all the time). We received a complimentary glass of bubbly and the desert place had an anniversary greeting on it in chocolate. An overall special occasion place to spend an evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulAbbyDined on 4/26/2014This restaurant should not have anything on it's menu other than steak! The chefs have no idea how to prepare anything else! I had salmon raw, the wait staff takes it back, brings it back RAW, on the same plate with the bits of salmon that I had picked at scattering the plate! Then I loose my appetite completely but order appetizer crab cakes! They arrive at the table, plate shatters, duh! Since when can ceramic plates withstand 500* temps! Once the crab cakes arrive they are awful!!!! By the way my party had finished dinner ages before! My vegetarian daughter ordered the 3 side veggie option all the veggies were absolutely awful! Menu should read buyer beware This place is only a Steak House!
- Always a perfect mealWholeFamilyDined on 4/26/2014Joyce our server and Buzz the manager made sure our meal was perfect and we had the maximum level of enjoyment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakKrysiaVIPDined on 4/20/2014We had one of the best filets we have ever eaten, bar none. The chef cooked it exactly to order: black and blue! The presentation was impeccable. The service was thoughtful without being overbearing. Kudos all around.Special Features:
- Great OverallLandSharkDined on 4/20/2014Went here for Easter Dinner. Outstanding waitstaff & food overall. Service was prompt when it needed to be prompt and we got to enjoy great food in between service. Steak came out to us as per our order. Sides were very delicious too. Highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a great piece of steak in downtown Grand Rapids.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining Experience!NatebDined on 4/19/2014There is no better dining experience then a steak at a Ruth's Chris. I have been to 4 locations and the one in downtown G.R. is one of the finest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014The Steaks are to die for... I am a frequent visitor and will remain one..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had a great dinner at Ruth'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/29/2014had a great dinner at Ruth's Chris in GR. The Amway Grand hotel/ dinner package was a great deal and dinner was really reasonable for the quality. We had the Porterhouse for two and it was an excellent cut.Special Features:
- Need better Lobster BisquebagladiatorDined on 3/15/2014This is our second trip to this Ruth Chris and both times the lobster bisque was luke warm. Also, my wife and I both ordered the filet medium rare and both were medium. Our service was lacking this trip. We would go quite awhile without seeing our waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service ever.WsmithVIPDined on 3/10/2014Must compliment my server Ian. Best server I've ever had at a restaurant and I eat out a lot. Unobtrusive yet always available. Knowledgable about wine and anticipated needs. Bravo! My only issue is that this Ruth's Chris location does not offer the Ruth's Classic menu which I prefer not so much for the lower prices but because I am a lighter eater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in servicesonjauVIPDined on 3/8/2014While my husband and I have been to this Ruth's Chris many times before and have always enjoyed it, our last visit left much to be desired regarding service. We were greeted by one service member but as his station became busier, we were pushed off to another "co-server", who did an O.K. job. We ended up pouring our own wine as needed. Not characteristic of a four star rated restaurant. The orginal server only came to the table after we had been given the bill. My husband was so angry, he stratched out the name of the "server"on the bill. Will we be back?--Possibly but not seated with Jason B.Special Features:
- Great FoodDDtigersDined on 3/8/2014Steaks are always cooked the way you like, seasoned to perfection. Nice large portions. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first timeSumbeenDined on 3/1/2014This was our first time there. We weren't really sure what to expect, except some good steak. We arrived early and sat at the bar. The bartender was VERY friendly and polite. He told us about the restraunt and told us his favorite appetizers are. Our waiter was just as friendly and warm. The food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014We come here once a year, are never disappointed. Fantastic food and wonderful service. They are always there when you need something but not hovering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- treated like royaltyjulesDined on 3/1/2014I took my husband here for his birthday and it was perfect! We were treated like royalty and the food was fantastic! Thanks for a great memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always 5 star!RobertDined on 3/1/2014I not only choose Ruth's Chris for the great food, but for the exceptional service and I ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful date nightLisaSDined on 2/28/2014I took my husband here for his birthday, and we had a great experience. Our servers were knowledgeable and very attentive, the restaurant was quiet and romantic, and the food was outstanding. It's pricier than we would normally go for a regular date night, but it's perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Had a wonderful Valentines dinner with my wife. If you want to be pampered and eat well this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good QualityScottptDined on 2/13/2014As usual a great quality meal from Ruth's Chris steakhouse. I always wonder if the price is worth it, but a single bit of the filet always seems to remind me that it is.Special Features:
- Great food great nighttbondDined on 2/13/2014We had the most amazing food here last week. The steaks are amazing as are all the side dishes. Service as always is above and beyond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't judge a book by it's coverCollegeStudentDined on 2/7/2014I like a good steak now and again and have been very blessed to be able to afford a couple two three. However, because of my age this place didn't think that was the case. I made a reservation and followed the protocol but was relegated to waiting in the hotel lobby while others were seated in a polite and timely manner. Was seated well beyond the reservation time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Around!!!!!!!!!!SFOURDined on 2/1/2014Without a doubt the best restaurant I have ever been at. The only bad thing I can say about this place is that the steak wasn't quite as good as the Chicago Chop House, but easily comes in second. Took my wife here for her Birthday....and all I can say is WOW. They had attention to detail at every corner even with me rescheduling several times. Everyone came up and said happy birthday and they even took the flowers I had ordered for my wife to the front desk while we went to the comedy club around the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in TownsnowmanDined on 1/25/2014Our dining experience at Ruth's Chris was unbelievable!! From presentation to food quality everything was wonderful. Can't wait for a return visit. :-)Special Features:
- Not Like Other ChainsaarpskierDined on 1/18/2014There are three spaces: bar with high tops, atrium and main dining area (1913 Room). We chose the atrium - quieter, with a nice view outside. The calamari and chop salad were excellent. We asked to split the regular filet with bleu cheese cap, and our server did so tableside, using two extra 500 degree plates. Very classy move. Best steak we have ever eaten. We also split the au gratin potatoes, which could use less garlic. We will go with the mashed next time. Finished with creme brulee, which was very good. The wine list prices are definitely on the high side, but if you spend some time you can find something relatively reasonable. Our "special occasion" (birthday) visit truly was. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Poor service!!TonyDined on 1/17/2014The only place that I don't use steak sauce. Awesome food and great view when we get to sit in the room with the windows! Service this time was terrible! I hope she was new or in training. We been there a lot and this was the only time we felt like the service was not on par with the food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just "Good" but not exceptionalamvschultzDined on 1/3/2014Ruth's Chris carries the name, and the do have really good food, but I didn't feel it was exceptional compared to other high-end steakhouses. My steak was so hot that I couldn't eat it (something they are known for the extremely hot plates/food), but the flavor of the steak just didn't seem to be there (and I order my steaks Medium Rare to keep the flavor). Our individual table of 4 felt crowded and not enough room to place the side dishes (we ordered 3 for 4 of us - potato, asparagus, mushrooms). further, each table (other guests) seemed to be too close to us and we could be a part of the conversation. Positive Note: They're chairs are very comfortable! Great addition to Grand Rapids, but I wouldn't go back with other choices in town.
- OverratedTappDined on 12/30/2013Service was excellent. Scallop appetizer very good. Downhill from there. Wine was mediocre. Baked potato seemed microwaved, not fluffy or flaky. Salmon was undercooked and had fishy taste, oily. Sweet potato casserole good. Steak was just ok. For the same price, could have had much better meals at the local GR restaurants.