Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Antonio (Downtown)
1170 E. Commerce Street Sunset Station
St. Paul Square
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Antonio (Downtown)
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ruthschrissa.com/
- Phone: 2102278847
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
DINING DRESS CODE
For the courtesy of our guests we do not allow tank tops, flip flops or baseball caps in the dining room please.
PRIME BAR guests may dress more casually.
Join Us at the Prime Bar for Prime Hour from 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm Daily
$4 Martinis, Margaritas and $7 Prime Bites
Friday LIVE MUSIC on our Palace Floor
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sander Edmondson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please go to our website www.ruthschrisSA.com Banquets and Catering page for more information
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy the benefits of private dining at Ruth’s Chris Steak House and the rewards!
- Private Party Contact: Rose Elizalde-Taylor 2102278847
- Entertainment: Live Music
Palace Floor • Fridays 8pm-11pm
- Special Events: Join Us at the Prime Bar for Prime Hour from 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm Daily
$4 Martinis, Margaritas and $7 Prime Bites
A word from Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Antonio (Downtown)
Ruth's Chris Steak House was founded May 1965 in New Orleans by Ruth Fertel. Our specialty is aged corn-fed USDA prime beef, broiled in a trademark 1800 degree oven and served on a plate heated to 500 degrees to ensure the steak is sizzling hot. We also offer fresh seafood including live Maine lobster, lobster tail & Atlantic salmon. Private dining rooms available for groups of 10-100.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ruth's Chris Steak House - San Antonio (Downtown) reviews from OpenTable diners
- Wonderful Anniversary Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2013This is the second time that my husband and I dined at Ruth Chris. The food is excellent and the service is great. My husband and I were celebrating our 11th anniversary and the staff made it a very special night for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our steak was not cooked properlyGracyDined on 5/27/2013Our steak was not cooked properly the first time. Our waiter was very polite and had it immediately grilled to our specifications.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't live up to expectationsLizJDined on 5/12/2013I did not like the way they upsell water at the beginning of the meal. The server offered still or sparkling water. Not wanting sparkling water we chose still water expecting regular tap water. Instead we received an $8 bottle of water. There were three of us in the party. We all ordered salads. The wedge salads were to be expected. The spinach and strawberry salad on the special menu was okay but arrived with too much dressing. Two out of the three steaks ordered were not cooked as ordered. The shoestring fries were greasy and tasteless. It took about five minutes for our server to come back around so we could ask to have the steak fixed. It was fixed. Again, everything was okay but didn't impress. I won't hurry back.Special Features:
- Atmosphere and Food ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2013A little dark but it's a clean and romantic place to take a special lady too. As always the steaks are cooked to perfection and the way you like it. However, my baked potato was under cooked ...very hard and not very tasty; nonetheless, my waitress corrected the issue with courtesy and professionalism. I love Ruth Chris and recommend this eatery to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Downtown SanAprilTVIPDined on 4/5/2013First time at Downtown San Antonio Ruth's- have been to others in 3 states and this visit was comparable. Filet was good- a little bland but cooked just as requested. Spouse had stuffed chicken and it was tasty but had more cheese stuffed inside than I recalled at other locations. Service was good, not outstanding, but consistent with what is expected at a restaurant like this. Live music was nice althougha little later after dinner hour.Special Features:
- Good but disappointing...ZZtop13Dined on 4/5/2013I wasn't blown away like I usually am. Service is always great. Food was good except what you would think is their signature. The fillet. I order the fillet and it was hard to cut and even had some grizzle in it. The fillet! The rest of the food was fantastic but the steak was disappointing. I was in a hurry so I didn't mention it to the manager. In hindsight I really should have.Special Features:
- Essentially, Ruth's ChrisOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/29/2013Essentially, Ruth's Chris is what you'd expect at a standard upscale steak-house. Nothing terribly stood out. Good meats, great sides. However, the chocolate chunk bread pudding tasted store bought and the waitstaff must have been a little bored because our waiters were like vultures! One would ask if we were ready to order and then, not three minutes later, another would come by and ask the same thing!Special Features:
- great food, fun nightSanantiniVIPDined on 3/23/2013My wife and I took her parents visiting from lake charles. Special treat for them since they dont have one in their city. We started off with the best martinis in the city. Javier, the head bartender is one of the best in thr city. We decided to dine in the bar area and watch the march madness action. We split the large fillet and had the exceptional potatoes au gratin and steamed spinach. My father inlaw started off with the delicious onion soup , split the wedge salad and then feasted on the prime rib. All the food was top notch anf it made for a memorable evening. There is a little club across the street called Ringside that has a band thst plays 60s and 70s music. We had a blast!Special Features:
- Love this chain but serviceEAdineVIPDined on 3/14/2013Love this chain but service at this location not so great.Special Features:
- Took my son here for his birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/6/2013Took my son here for his birthday with a few family members. As usual the service was outstanding and our waiter Luis is the best. Our steaks were perfect.Special Features:
- My husband & I always celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/2/2013My husband & I always celebrate special occasions by going to nice steakhouses. Over the years we have tried others but Ruth's Chris is our absolute favorite! The service is second to none and the steaks...the steaks are delicious!!! We were celebrating our 11 year wedding anniversary this time & they did not disappoint. The food was incredible and as always the service was perfect! We were even given a complimentary dessert & photo!!! Thank you Ruth's Chris SA Downtown for making our anniversary extra special!! :-)Special Features:
- Had a wonderful birthday partyJM34Dined on 2/23/2013Had a wonderful birthday party at Ruth's Chris Downtown and was well taken care of! Excellent service and the perfect TLC we needed for the party.Special Features:
- Great stop before a downtown eventjat3cloveDined on 2/16/2013First stop for our newly formed dinner club. We chose Ruth's Chris because of its proximity to the Alamo Dome for a concert we were all attending. No surprise that the steaks were great as were the sides. Cocktails were also wonderful. Best calamari appetizer in the city. We got the great service we expected.Special Features:
- We waited for an hour afterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013We waited for an hour after our reservation...we had to miss our planned show after dinnerSpecial Features:
- Well my wife and I arrivedchopperDined on 2/14/2013Well my wife and I arrived 15 minutes earlier than our 8:00 reservation. Being Valentines day I expected that we should have no problem being seated since we did have a reservation. However, it was not until 8:20 that we were finially seated and only after several conversations with the front wait staff. The food was good. The portions were good as well. The main issue I had was with the waitress. She did not bring silverware or plates after being seated. She did not bring butter for the bread. Then after our meal when desert was served she again did not bring us plates or silverware. I do find it hard to believe that the waitstaff is this poor at such a fine restaurant.Special Features:
- It was Valentine's Day andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013It was Valentine's Day and it was very busy but, it was disappointing and not up to the level of what we expect from Ruth's Chris. We had to ask for steak knives, spoons for desserts, etc. and they did arrive but not in a timely fashion. This was a special occasion, we had driven 60 miles, and the couple with us had never eaten at Ruth's Chris. It was an expensive and disappointing evening:-(
- OverratedFreeDined on 2/14/2013I was so looking forward to treating my wife to a nice evening at a 5 star restaurant on Valentines day. I was highly disappointed! I was surprised the regular menus were not being offered, only a special menu for the evening. My wife and I were saddened to be forced to make selections based on the special being provided. If they had informed those making reservations of the special menu I would have chosen another restaurant. My wifes' selection was satifactory(Sea Bass), my steak was horrible, attempts to make it right unsuccesful, they offered another steak selection, I declined. Horrible!Special Features:
- An ideal spot for a romanticDunbardonDined on 2/14/2013An ideal spot for a romantic evening with someone special. Service is top-notch and the food is exceptionally good. A little pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- Too ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013My overall dining experience was less than spectacular. We went for Valentine's Day. I was happy that they accommodated me by allowing my son to be added at the last minute. However, no one informed me that the dinner menu was set for the evening, so he had to eat from our plates. Also, because the dinner menu was set, so was the price. I didn't think the food lived up to the price they charged per person. I would not recommend eating there especially on special occasions.Special Features:
- Another fine Ruth's ChrisPietroDined on 1/14/2013Another fine Ruth's Chris meal. It has been a family tradition for years at locations all over the country. It is one of the most reliable steak houses there is.Special Features:
- Reservations at Ruth ChrisTeadrinkerDined on 1/3/2013Reservations at Ruth Chris met and exceeded our expectations as the perfect spot to celebrate my husband's 70th birthday. Each course proved delightful in presentation and taste did not disappoint. Staff had very helpful suggestions in wine selection and gave excellent descriptions of the various entrees in which we had requested. I found the sea bass to be very tastey, and my husband was pleased with his steak. Our table was kept tidy, the bread basket full, and the butter plentiful. The restaurant was very clean and tidy which are musts for me. During our meal one of the managers came to our table asking our assurance that we were well pleased with food and service of the wait staff. We were happy to say "yes!"Special Features:
- OverpricedHoustonHappy25Dined on 12/31/2012Overpriced. Food was good but nothing exceptional. Better values experienced at many other restaurants.
- Slammed by the Alamo Bowl!rockindinerDined on 12/29/2012As expected, they were overcrowded due to the Alamo Bowl game. Thank goodness we had reservations. That said, we only had an hour and a half for dining before we had to leave, so we weren't able to order anything but appetizers due to the fact that they couldn't promise we could get a steak in that amount of time. It took about 15 minutes before we were able to even get a glass of water and a waiter. A table next to us began to get upset about the amount of time it was taking, as well as cold food. Their waiter was quite rude and said, "it's obvious you're upset, I'll get the manager"! Then he continued to "fill in" the other wait staff just loud enough that the customers could hear him. I would have fired him!
- Too cold for comfortCarisaDined on 12/26/2012We have been to this restaurant several times over the last few years. The main problem with it is the room temperature. Whether summer or winter, the dining rooms - downstairs and upstairs - are too cold to feel comfortable. The other problem is that despite all the fanfare about their meat, we find it rather disappointing. My husband and I shared the filet steak. It was OK, but could have been tastier. Two of our guests shared the ribeye; my niece said her half was mostly gristle. My mother chose the shrimp New Orleans, which were tasty but swimming in too much buttery sauce. We like the fact that the food and the plates are served hot. Too few restaurants in San Antonio pay enough attention to that.
- Had a great time! The serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2012Had a great time! The service was amazing and the food was great too.Special Features:
- Great holiday season lunch.DoctorGRVIPDined on 12/21/2012Great holiday season lunch. I took a few employees for an appreciation meal. Great service.Special Features:
- We shared a excelent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/5/2012We shared a excelent dinner with my group. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to enjoy fine dining in a nice place.Special Features:
- The best of the Ruth's ChrisOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/17/2012We have been to Ruth's Chris locations throughout the country and we have 3 in the Dallas area, but this one in San Antonio was the best. We don't know why, but the steak tasted better, the mash potatoes tasted better, the coffee was better, and we have no idea why, but both my wife and I agree, it just was better than most of the Ruth's Chris we have visited in Dallas, Philly, Louisville, NJ, Knoxville, Dallas, Fort Worth, Seattle, Bellvue, and on and on.Special Features:
- Not a good band change fromOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2012Not a good band change from Beverly Houston...the crowd is dead!Special Features:
- Go downtownThisnicknamethingisstupidVIPDined on 10/27/2012The downtown version of this restaurant far exceeds its sister location in Alamo Heights. The decor, the service and the food are above par.Special Features:
- Best food and service in town !!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/27/2012Popeye and his crew were excellent, couldn't have done better. It was my wife's birthday and everyone there made the evening very special from the great food to the happy birthday confetti on the table( nice touch) .Thanks Popeye, Robert, Josh, and John it was wonderful. Coming back every time I'm in San Antonio. Thanks, S SmithSpecial Features:
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2012Dined there on a Tuesday evening in October for my birthday. Everything was ideal. I love their Facebook page where they posted the photo they took of us. Very good food and service. A memorable occasion!Special Features:
- We had the petite filletsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2012We had the petite fillets with mushrooms. They were cooked perfectly. This was a nice size Mel before our concert.Special Features:
- My wife and I love Ruth'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/20/2012My wife and I love Ruth's Chris and have patronized for some time now. However, this was a first visit for our daughters (17 and 13) at RC. I must say, the entire experience (food, service, etc) DID NOT DISAPPOINT. My daughters were impressed and we were all completely satisfied with every aspect of our evening. Congratulations Ruth's Chris! You did it again!Special Features:
- The service and food wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2012The service and food were exceptional! My husband and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. The rose petals, dessert and photo were pleasant surprises! Thank you for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- As always, food prepared perfectlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2012As always, food prepared perfectly and nicely balanced. Attentive but unobtrusive service; love the Sunset Station area of downtown. Added rose petals and confetti and complimentary 3-mini desserts to our anniversary celebration making the night even more special.Special Features:
- Everything was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/3/2012Everything was outstanding. Especially enjoyed the live music.Special Features:
- Fantastic on all Fronts!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/27/2012Phenomenal - Our server, Glen, was amazing. We had a lovely meal for a large party and absolutely everyone was more than pleased with the appetizers, their entrees, and dessert. I cannot say enought about Glen's service. Professional, personable, attentive. Exceptional experience.Special Features:
- Good service, typical Rith'sJoeMac27VIPDined on 7/18/2012Good service, typical Rith's Chris fare, though we ordered our steaks rare and they were a tad over-cooked. Personally, I'm not a "chain restaurant" guy, but the wife likes a place where she's going to get what she wants (or so she thinks). Decent place, but I wouldn't rave about it or any other Ruth's. I find they're riding on their reputation, much lik eMorton's has, in my opinion. I won't go to Morton's unless I have no choice in the matter and I'm fast becoming htat way with Ruth's.
- As requested, we had the priviateOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/16/2012As requested, we had the priviate dining area downstairs and it was just perfect for the business that neeed to be conducted! Thank you for your extra efforts!