Rusty Pelican Restaurant
2735 West Coast Hwy
Newport Beach, CA 92663Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Rusty Pelican Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rustypelican.com/
- Phone: 9496423431
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:15pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eduardo Morales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Enjoy live music in our upstairs lounge on Friday and Saturday nights.
A word from Rusty Pelican Restaurant
Rusty Pelican has been a long Newport Beach tradition for outstanding meals and legendary service. You'll love the breathtaking harbor views from our Coast Highway location. With our wide variety menu, we have something to offer everyone and a selection from our award winning wine list provides the perfect complement to your meal. Our Sunset Dining Menu is available Monday through Friday 4:00 PM – 5:15 PM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rusty Pelican Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
243 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (201)special occasion (131)great for outdoor dining (103)romantic (93)great for lunch (64)good for groups (59)fit for foodies (54)neighborhood gem (50)great for brunch (48)notable wine list (41)vibrant bar scene (24)hot spot (24)kid-friendly (22)late-night find (16)Show More
- GREAT VALUEOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/8/2014I think this place is probably the best value for seafood waterfront dining anywhere in California. We had a wonderful lunch right on the water for about the price we would have paid at a cafe! Agreat find,a gorgeous setting, a long tradition and an excellent menu and wine list. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RUSTY PELICANMGPHAASVIPDined on 9/6/2014BEAUTIFUL SCENERY, GREAT FOOD, I HAD THE CHILEAN SEABASS AND IT WAS DELISH! I WOULD DEFINATELY RECOMMEND THIS RESTAURANT TO EVERYONE AND WOULD RETURN WHEN VISITING THIS CITY AGAIN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening out.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014We had a very nice time. We sat outside on the patio and our server was very attentive. It got a little chilly so we asked our server to turn on the heater. The food was very good.Special Features:
- Nice Family Dining ExperienceTastebudsDined on 9/6/2014We enjoyed a wonderful table with spectacular water views. Enjoyed the salmon with pesto dish. Desserts were just OK- Mud Pie was more of a chocolate fluffy soufflé. Waitresses were switched halfway through our meal, so a side dish was forgotten. The waitress was apologetic when we asked he to take it off the bill. They were very busy serving several larger groups. All-in-all a nice experience for family 'night out'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spot!GntloryntlDined on 9/1/2014This is a great, underrated spot along the water in Newport. I was glad it was open on Labor Day and I enjoyed all my food. Sat upstairs and enjoyed a view of the bay.Special Features:
- A top favorite in Newport BeachLRVlachosVIPDined on 8/31/2014Really great dishes...friendly service. Mariana did a great job of taking care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RivieraDined on 8/31/2014Everyone with our brunch group loved their meal. Good service!Special Features:
- Our FavotiteThequeenbird1VIPDined on 8/31/2014Rusty Peligan is such a special place. Excellent food, friendly servers, and great view.Special Features:
- Has always been a favorite of oursCarolDined on 8/30/2014We have eaten at Rusty Pelican over many years. The food has always been incredible! This time my husband & I were celebrating our 46th anniversary. The tables were so jammed packed so tightly we almost were sitting in our neighbor's lap. The noise level was so loud we could barely hear each other! On a lighter note, the food was still excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ExperienceChief144Dined on 8/29/2014We made reservations thru Open Table based on a suggestion from a frien from the area. The 6 of us are from out of town, Northern Ca & Colorado It lived up to the reviews in all ways! We'll be back!Special Features:
- sadluxemburgerDined on 8/28/2014we have been there 2010 and really loved the food and the atmosphere but now in 2014 , our meals were served half cold, it took an eternity till it arrived, the service was not very much caring about all : like water and bread or cheese for the spaghetti. My salmon was without any taste, and the potatoes as if there was no time to cook them. there must be something done, as our neighbour table mentioned the same dissatisfaction. Also the carpet need to be redone, ( dirty sparks everywhere) and my plate still had rests of another eater under it , and the fork , knife and glas really weren't clean at all we are sorry to say this, but the price of the menues demands more effort, as it really was gorgeous 4 years ago...Special Features:
- Great waitersRunawaysunDined on 8/28/2014Our waiter was amazing. He was knowledgable, peppy, and sweet. Our anniversary dinner couldn't have had a better view nor experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary Dinnergigi56Dined on 8/28/2014It was our 10th Anniversary and we couldn't have picked a better place to celebrate. I requested a table outside and we were able to get it. It was late afternoon. It was a beautiful setting. The food was excellent and the service was just as good. Our waiter, Jimmy made sure we were well taken care of. It was the perfect place to celebrate our special day!Special Features:
- highly recommendedgreatfind14Dined on 8/28/2014Jimmy our server was very attentive and informational. Timely serve with a wide variety of knowledge. Very helpful in suggestions and recommendations on food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food but...LaLizzDined on 8/27/2014Fantastic food but we had to pay the bill before we were finished dining because the waitress was done with her shift. After we paid, not a single waiter came by to ask if we wanted anything else. Mind you, we tipped 20%. My parents like going there but I would go elsewhere.Special Features:
- Seafood paradise!RachelFDined on 8/25/2014I had the best lunch here! We order the market special oysters of the day and orange glazed Mahi Mahi. Let me tell you...the BEST oysters I have ever had! Perfection!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rusty PelicanBillLasVegasDined on 8/24/2014The only thing better than the food was the view of Newport Bay, the boats moving up and down the bay are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to honor reservationwatermelonDined on 8/24/2014Made reservation,waited 1/2 hour after reservation to be seated. Bad practice!!Special Features:
- YumTwo4theRdDined on 8/24/2014They continued their fine standards for food, ambience and service. I liked making reservations on line, however they did not acknowledge a Birthday in our party (that I had mentioned in my on-line reservation notes). I did find it uncomfortable that they charged for parking then also asked for gratuities for the valets. I would rather pay more for my food and have parking included.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food good despite long waitindustrypersonDined on 8/23/2014We had an 8 pm reservation and had to wait until 8.50 to get seated which is unacceptable and with not much of an apology or offer of anything. Despite this the food was good and the service from the waitress was prompt and attentiveSpecial Features:
- Great Lunch at RPDianeVIPDined on 8/21/2014We made reservations for 7 for lunch. Spencer was our server and he did a wonderful job welcoming us and informing us about the specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Evening!coachlizDined on 8/20/2014The food is never disappointing here...and although we couldn't get a preferred seating in the patio area, we did get a window seat...with a view. The wine choices were great, we were given a yummy dessert in celebration of our anniversary. Then after dinner we went upstairs to the lounge room with more fantastic views and a more relaxed ambiance for those wanting to just sit at the bar and enjoy drinks and starters.Special Features:
- Excellent!Thequeenbird1VIPDined on 8/17/2014As usual, EXCELLENT! The staff is so helpful and cheerful. The food is mouth wateringSpecial Features:
- AmazingSunset2082Dined on 8/16/2014We loved this restaurant for our anniversary. It was perfect. The garlic bread is to die for. Our free anniversary dessert was delicious, mouth watering chocolate lava Raspberry yumnyness. The parking lot is so small that it's valet only. The restrooms are also extremely small. Other than that it's a very nice seafood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rusty Pelican great locationHappyCamperDined on 8/15/2014Great view on the water. Service was great - all the staff was very attentive. Also received a very nice comp birthday dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Findballoon9Dined on 8/12/2014I decided to try out this place after reading so many reviews and I wasn't disappointed. The garlic bread, calamari and all the entrees were really awesome. I would recommend making reservation because we went on Tuesday night and the place was packed.Special Features:
- Over cooked fishNJMoeVIPDined on 8/12/2014Most of the fish dishes served were over cooked, after the waitress made it a point to tell us the chef cooks all fish to medium rare for a tasty, moist piece of fish. Most of our meals were medium well to well done pieces of fish. Very disappointing.
- Always top notch!safeyDined on 8/11/2014I've been here quite a few times, and it always is extremely good. Very nice atmosphere, great food, and wonderful service. It is very reasonably priced for the location right on the bay, and a great ambiance also. the staff is very friendly and helpful. You won't go wrong here!Special Features:
- Birthday night outfoodguy1Dined on 8/10/2014The Rusty Pelican has been here for a very long time and has always been a place for special occasions. This still holds true many years later with a great location along the bay in Newport. The service was good and the server made suggestions on dishes and drinks. The prices are pretty standard for seafood and there was a very good selection. The food quality, including appetizers, drinks and main course were all very tasty and well-prepared. I chose a King Salmon dish with Pesto sauce and it was excellent. I would not hesitate to to revisit this classic restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014great food ,excellent service, would recommend it. we had reservations but still had to wait it was packedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service and view.spoiledVIPDined on 8/8/2014Brittany was our server and made our dining experience enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchNoneDined on 8/7/2014Everyone was very good. All the food was great and our server was very good and very nice. The valet Parker was very in control. He had almost the full restaurant leaving at the same time and kept his cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expected!JonnyVacationDined on 8/5/2014Seated within 10 minutes of reservation, competent, friendly service, dealt with all my tough dietary needs (gluten free, etc) with a smile, great view, ambient noise level acceptable. In short, a very enjoyable dining experience. Definitely a new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very RustygbostonDined on 8/2/2014Our meal, to celebrate a birthday, was a bust. There was a very crowded and loud dining room and meager wine list. Our waiter recommended some dishes which were uneatable, either because they were very gloppy or over spiced. The main course of arctic char, though, was good. The Alaskan Halibut special was overdone with a macadamia nut coating and salsa. While our dinner dishes and wine were still on the table an assistant waiter rushed a birthday dessert to our table. It was a memorable night, but not for the reasons we wanted!
- OutstandingakumpisDined on 8/1/2014This was my third time at Rusty Pelican. The server was very nice and his recommendations were spot on. We felt welcomed and treated really well. The food came out fast and was so good. The seafood was absolutely amazing! Will keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningSomattDined on 7/27/2014Had a great time for our wedding anniversary. We sat outside in the evening. It was a bit fresh but we really liked the blankets the restaurant provided. The fish course was superb but the starter was cold. We would go back for the view but not for the food.Special Features:
- Wedding reception disappointment.FuudguyDined on 7/27/2014Reservations 7:30 seated at 8:45 if that tells you anything. We were a small party of 6 with a bride in a full gown. You would think we were noticeable in the bar, but the waitstaff just kept walking past us. It took sometime for a server to even acknowledge our group. Finally, I got frustrated and had to wave someone down. They took our drink order and once again to get them I had to wave someone down. The drinks arrived we are now 30 min into sitting waiting. No joke! I became the server and went directly to the bartender an got drinks for my group from that point on. Told the table was ready ended up standing in the door way for another 15 min while they cleared the table. Top it off they ran out of prime rib by the time we ordered.
- Disappointing main courseBirthdayDined on 7/27/2014We liked the atmosphere, garlic bread and Raw Oyster, for the 3 entree, 2 of us chose a full priced Halibut and Sea Base which our server has highly recommended, (she was like a used car sales person , very pushy). It turned out lunch priceed Sword fish was the best, very disappointed on the Halibut which was very very dry and very very fishy. Wish we were greeted back so we have a chance to exchange to another fish entree and we don't have fill up hungry stomach with bread and riceSpecial Features:
- Good but loudPreferquietdiningDined on 7/26/2014When I made my reservation I requested a table outside because my brother and his family were coming from North Carolina. I wanted it to be special knowing it was noisy inside and the view was beautiful outside. When we got there they were seating us inside but I told them I requested outside. She said they can't accomidate large parties outside, there were eight in our party. During dinner I looked outside and saw a party of seven. It was extremely loud inside and at 9:00 the band started playing right above us. I wish they would have put us outside. However the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Beautiful view, good food, attentive service. We were caught in traffic, called restaurant 30 min before reservation time, our requested table was held.Special Features: