Rusty Pelican Restaurant
2735 West Coast Hwy
Newport Beach, CA 92663Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Rusty Pelican Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rustypelican.com/
- Phone: (949) 642-3431
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:15pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eduardo Morales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Enjoy live music in our upstairs lounge on Friday and Saturday nights.
A word from Rusty Pelican Restaurant
Rusty Pelican has been a long Newport Beach tradition for outstanding meals and legendary service. You'll love the breathtaking harbor views from our Coast Highway location. With our wide variety menu, we have something to offer everyone and a selection from our award winning wine list provides the perfect complement to your meal. Our Sunset Dining Menu is available Monday through Friday 4:00 PM – 5:15 PM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rusty Pelican Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (167)special occasion (120)great for outdoor dining (85)romantic (83)fit for foodies (64)great for lunch (57)good for groups (52)neighborhood gem (43)notable wine list (41)great for brunch (40)vibrant bar scene (25)hot spot (23)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (15)Show More
- Great ExperienceDeebaVIPDined on 11/15/2014Our waiter Nick was very attentive and friendly. The manager Kim was personable and checked in on us to ensure all was well....which it was (food, service and atmosphere). Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostess at the front desk was very gracious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014The waitress and service were super and we had a lovely evening. Our guests for dinner had never been there in the evening and we had a wonderful timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rxfoodieDined on 11/15/2014Our server was excellent. A little noisy but the table was nice and out of the way of other diners. overall excellent experience and will dine here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service; great food!RegrudyDined on 11/15/2014We had a table by the window and the view was beautiful. We did ask to be moved as a large group of 8 was seated right behind us and they were extremely loud. Our waitress was most accommodating and told us to pick any table we wanted. The service was great and the food was delicious. We had the Chilean Sea Bass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at the Rusty PelicanKASandersDined on 11/13/2014I am a firm beliver that First Impressions are Lasting impressions. Upon arrival at the Rusty Pelian the Hostess went out of her way to make sure we were comfortable. Our server, Clay, was great. He knew the menu well and was able to suggest something that I enjoyed. It was my wife and my anniversary, which I stated when I made the reservations.. And was pleasantly surprised at the end of our meal when Clay brought out a little dessert with a lit candle on top of it (nice). The food was good too. It could have used just a little more salt. Overall everything was tasty. Would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was beautiful inside. The server was awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014The ambience inside was amazing! it was very romantic, we got a table right next to the window with a view of the bay. The food was to die for!!! Definitely get the calamari and the garlic bread! Our server Jimmy was incredible. I was on a first date, and he broke the ice very well and got good conversation started. He went into detail about all of the specials and the food for which the restaurant is famous. He made the evening very fun and memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view - great food - great serviceTeriVIPDined on 11/12/2014Nick, our server, made our night & made dinner a great birthday dinner for my husband. He has to be one of the best servers I've ever had at RP. Food was excellent, as was the presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JiroVIPDined on 11/11/2014This time our experience was very negative. The order was not brought out in a timely manner. Appetizer came out one time one and the sauces requested didn't arrive at the table until one of our guests went to the kitchen and asked for it. The food was good and well presented but did not come out as requested. The lunch time experience was a poor example of the restaurant and was very disappointing. Perhaps it was just the waitress whomwas friendly but certainly not efficient.Special Features:
- Excellent view on pattioOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/8/2014The view was amazing. The food not so great and the portions of the entrees very very small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Old Favorite Still Delights...BesideTheSea4MeDined on 11/7/2014The Rusty Pelican restaurant has long been a feature on the waterfront in Newport Beach Harbor, but perhaps become overlooked with all the newer restaurants to choose from along the So-Cal coast. So we were pleasantly surprised to find it still in the running for the best fresh and innovative seafood selections served in a romantic yet casual atmosphere; featuring exquisite views and attentive and friendly service. We recommend the perfectly prepared Chilean Sea Bass, and the crisp but light Calamari appetizer. We thoroughly enjoyed the ambience, food, and views that this lasting landmark on the harbor has to offer. *Valet parking, Reservations a must (ask for window seating), upstairs bar and happy hour, outside terrace dining also.Special Features:
- Mixed resultsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2014When I called to confirm birthday dinner reservations, I asked they could do something special (low-key). The hostess said that they usually comp the chocolate torte cake and add a candle, which would be perfect. She said that she would speak to the hostess and that I wouldn't have to do anything. The dinner was outstanding and the service was top-notch, but we were billed for the chocolate torte. I couldn't find our waitress, but discreetly mentioned the conversation to the hostess and she offered to find our waitress, who brought out a sliver of cheesecake with a candle on it. Unfortunately we were still charged for the torte and she disappeared, so we just paid and left. It's a small thing, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.Special Features:
- Service is second to noneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014From the moment the Valvet greets you the service is impeccable. We had reservations and asked to be seated on the patio deck which was already waiting for us our waiter Michelle was amazing knew the menu well as it was out first time dining here(from phoenix there on a weekend getaway) her recommendation of the firepot swordfish was spot on. Glasses never went empty for water and the kids drinks food was great had an awesome time and will be back very soon as Newport is one of our favorite weekend trip escape destination. Keep it up Rusty Pelican staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeHaydensgrandpyVIPDined on 11/1/2014Had a wonderful birthday dinner, beautiful sunset over the bay. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Few FlawsredhairmacDined on 10/26/2014We are repeat customers. I mean, we go there OFTEN. The food is great and the service is usually excellent. However, our visit last night had a few flaws. It's OUTRAGEOUS that they charge $15.49 for TWO silver-dollar-sized crab cakes. Our waiter even apologized for forgetting ' to mention that there were only two for our table of FIVE. Next, they need to remove a table by the window to allow for easier seating. It was so hard to get into our seats without knocking against the occupied chairs on either side of us that 3 chairs had to be extricated in order for us to get into our seats. We were squeezed in so tightly that I actually felt the person behind me at the next table every time she moved her head.
- Always go back to the Rusty PelicanWorkingcrewVIPDined on 10/21/2014We started going there for Easter Brunch years ago and now go for special occasions, birthdays and anniversaries also. Menu is great and we love their fish especially the Swordfish and Halibut. Reasonably priced and feel you can go back more often than not. Great Happy Hour menu and drinks too! Wonderful place to take out of town guest because it has a great view of the back bay, right on the water. The service is very good and friendly! Only thing I would rate them down on is sometimes it gets a little too full and then it gets kind of loud and crowed with all the people.Special Features:
- Good food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/20/2014We fell upon The Rusy Pelican as we were at Billy's the night before, preferred the atmosphere and the service at The Rusty Pelican.Special Features:
- Couldn't have been betterMarykaydevineDined on 10/20/2014Cousins from Utah visiting. Got the deck. Good food. Nice service and a terrific view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food took FOREVEROpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Upon being seated at 8:15pm (for an 8pm reservation), we waited until 9:50pm before we received our entrees. By the time our food came, my girlfriend & I had basically lost our appetite. I highly doubt I will ever return here... I wasn't impressed by the food quality/taste given the high prices.Special Features:
- Great viewsChowdermanDined on 10/18/2014Great food and stunning views make this an outstanding place for dinner at sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy placeDonk50calDined on 10/17/2014Made the reservation 1 hour in advance and still had to wait 20 min to be seated. I was a disappointed in my 16 oz. prime rib cut compared to my wife's 12 oz. cut, but the waitress fixed the problem by bringing out another steak for no charge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuRustyDined on 10/10/2014The food was really good. We ordered the most expensive item on the menu but it was worth it. Good menu for foodies or for nhealthy eating. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/9/2014Really great food, service was friendly and accommodating, can't beat the way the dining room looks. Prices were on the higher side but definitely reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InteriorBrendaKDined on 10/3/2014Needs an update. The carpet is dirty. Service was great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Steak had a piece of butchers paper imbedded in side. Salmon spinach was undercooked to nearly raw. All menu items were close to bland. We joined Landry's club last year and have never had a meal that was outstanding. All the restaurants within this franchise appear to make it based on the settings alone, we refer to it as "Blandry's"Special Features:
- Love this place.VvDd143Dined on 10/3/2014My wife and I came for lunch this time and had a nice quiet both upstairs with a prefect view. We've come here for dinner before also and say outside and watched the sun go down over the water. Very romantic and of course a delicious meal. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Good Bet ...GreatEaterVIPDined on 9/30/2014Never had a bad experience at the Rusty Pelican. Have been there many times and both food and Service are impeccable. Highly Recommended!!!!! ThanksSpecial Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Great service and great food as the sun set over the pacific ocean.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We arrived 20 minutes before or reservation and were seated immediately at a nice table at the Window overlooking newport bay at sunset. Service was great and the food was excellent. I had the garlic bread, crab bisque and the best Chilean sea bass ever. First time there and i would definetly go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pitafamDined on 9/27/2014Our waitress Brittany was the best. She knew about all the fish dishes and how they were prepared and was up beat and genuinely wanted to make sure your experience was the best it could be. We celebrated our 32ND anniversary and she was sweet giving us a dessert along with taking our picture. She was awesome with all her tables. The halibut choice she picked for my dinner was excellent. The entire team of workers were very accommodating. We originally sat outside and it was to windy for us so they moved us inside with a smile. Awesome experience again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendAR23VIPDined on 9/27/2014Great fresh seafood along with top notch service, add a fantastic view and you get the Rusty Pelican. I highly recommend this restaurant especially while the sun is still out.Special Features:
- Cody024Dined on 9/24/2014Haven't been there in a while but was very impressed with whole experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeNBGuestDined on 9/23/2014We go to Rusty Pelican whenever we get the chance. On the 23rd, it was extra special mainly because of our waiter, Lance. Excellent vibe. Made our Anniversary dinner special without being over the top. Hang on to this man, he is an asset to this restaurant.Special Features:
- OldschoolDined on 9/23/2014Haven't been for a long time. Better than ever. Loved the spicy treatment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ service every timeJunebugDined on 9/21/2014Food is great and reasonable. View is amazing love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!BrunchersDined on 9/21/2014We have been here several times for brunch and just love it! You cannot get a better piece of fish for the money anywhere. The service is excellent. The view is oh so nice. This is just a wonderful place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentHerbsquaredDined on 9/20/2014Came here on Saturday night for dinner. Even though we had a reservation, ended up waiting 30 minutes extra. They offered us a table upstairs without notifying us a band (with a drummer) would be starting at 830. We realized there would be a band but not till after 9, or so we thought. It was hard to enjoy a $200 dinner with a drummer in your right ear. Overall, the food was okay for a seafood restaurant but there are much better places in Newport. The servers all look the same and aren't the sharpest but pretty to look at, if that's what you're going for. Overall very underwhelmed.
- Wonderful Outside DiningLoveroffreshfishDined on 9/20/2014Outside dining was wonderful. Not many tables outside however. Inside dining was rather noisy. Make reservations early so you can select an outside table. Wait staff was attentive......but not hovering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect late afternoon/dinnerDocDanDined on 9/20/2014Everything was perfect. Service, food, ambiance, attention to detail, and willingness to serve the birthday cake we brought from Suzie's Cake in Newport. Terrific waitress and helper.Special Features:
- Afternoon delightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014It has been quite a few years since we had been to The Rusty Pelican...we definitely won't wait so long until our next visit! The ambiance, service, drinks and food were all wonderful! Thank you to all of the staff for a great lunch and experience.Special Features:
- in from out of townsusanismVIPDined on 9/19/2014we had a great evening and enjoyed calamari, the Chilean bass is awesome...garlic bread terrific. we had a table by the window and could enjoy the harbor.....fun fun evening. good wine listSpecial Features: