827 Slaters Lane
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rusticorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (703) 224-5051
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Happy Hour: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Evan Buchholz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: For those who have enjoyed dining at Rustico and wish to have us cater your next event, we are pleased to partner with 550 Events & Provisions, a chef-driven, full-service catering and events company. As a member of the Neighborhood Restaurant Group’s family of award-winning restaurants, 550 possesses an unparalleled depth and breadth of experience, as well as culinary talent. For inquiries and more information, contact 550 Events & Provisions at email@example.com.
A word from Rustico
Rustico is the quintessential neighborhood pub on the edge of Old Town Alexandria. The menu features seasonal, hearty American fare from a wood-fired oven and grill, including pizzas and rotisserie meats, along with other rustic cuisine using the freshest local ingredients available. There’s also no mistaking Rustico’s love for barley & hops! The bar’s focal point is a custom galvanized inverted T bar with 30 brilliant taps book-ended by two massive coolers holding more than 400 different types of ales, lagers, ciders and stouts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Rustico - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Rustico reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)fit for foodies (28)vibrant bar scene (28)good for groups (24)great for lunch (18)hot spot (16)kid-friendly (15)special occasion (15)great for brunch (14)great for outdoor dining (13)romantic (9)late-night find (9)notable wine list (6)Show More
- Great pizza, beer, patio — and dog friendly!DrawPastTenseVIPDined on 11/23/2014This is our go-to spot for when we want to grab lunch on the weekend after taking our mutt to the Shirlington dog park — a bit far from there but totally worth the drive. The weather was (still) OK to sit outside this past weekend so we enjoyed a corner spot along the railing and split a beet salad, fries, a margherita pizza and a couple beers. (The fries came in handy for rewarding our dog for patiently hanging out on the sidewalk side of the railing). Our server, "Aaron C." was fantastic — (very) good looks aside, he gave spot-on advice on which beers to try and there wasn't a long wait for anything — he even made sure our dog's water bowl was never empty. The great service overall is just one of the many reasons we're regulars. Thanks Rustico!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit Rusty(co)TomKDined on 11/21/2014Ordered the pork chop & went with chef's medium-rare recommendation. It actually was closer to rare so sent it back to finish cooking. The beer selection is impressive though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect meal all 'round!NeroDined on 11/20/2014We always enjoy Rustico. Beet salad- a definite favorite! Scallops- gigantic. Burger- wonderful meat. Salmon- so tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyBrunchtimeVIPDined on 11/20/2014Good food But The hard surfaces make Rustico Unpleasantly loud
- Dinner dateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014We had a great dinner with our friends at Rustico.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMarciaJVIPDined on 11/11/2014I love Rustico. Great beer list and good food in the past. I had not been there in awhile. I was so disappointed on my recent visit. I ordered a Farm Market salad to share with my dining partner. We got the large. I had to actually ask the waitress if it was the small. $12 for a salad that said it had kale in it and it had two leaves on top. I guess that counted as the kale. I have been to restaurants that if you say you are spliting something, they take the serving and make two portions. Would it really be that difficult for the kitchen to do that. I guess it would of highlighted the size of the large even more. Doing this is a nice service to your customers. The waitress was just not that pleasant either. We did order other food so don't know why she just had such a distain for us. I can honestly say it has been taken off my list of places to go. Major attitude and smaller portions is not what I look for in a dining experience.
- Cold, Wet Pizza!RWinDCVIPDined on 11/9/2014This was my first time visiting Rustico. Unfortunately, the food was really bad. We ordered a pizza and it was cold and soggy :-( We were running to a concert afterwards or I would've definitely pushed for another pizza. I will not be back.
- Great RecoveryjustdjDined on 11/5/2014One of our party of four had a problem with her main course being too greasy and too salty. Our wonderful waitress (Gloria) removed the dish with no hesitation and offered a replacement entrée (which was refused because the pork cheek appetizer had been so amazing and filling!), the manager came over to apologize within minutes and to offer a free dessert (which was accepted). When the time came to choose dessert, she couldn't decide between an ice cream and a sorbet, and was assured that she could choose both! Rustico clearly has a plan for the rare occasion when something goes awry and it was a pleasure to experience it in action. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Good MealMavenLovesFoodDined on 11/5/2014Rustico is my go-to place to take friends, know that we'll have good food, very good service, and a general good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulAnneDined on 11/3/2014We dined there Monday November 3. The food was absolutely delicious! Our sever was so helpful and knowledgeable. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends.Special Features:
- Solid Service, Menu Needs HelpallyVIPDined on 11/2/2014It was our 1st time here and we had a great server in the bar section who was incredibly knowledgeable about beer and wine and suggested a few pairings for my not-usually-out-of-the-box-beer boyfriend. he was thorough friendly and definitely on top of his game. the food, however, left a little to be desired. i know the menu had just changed but nothing seemed great except for the pizza which i didnt eat since i'm gluten free & the new pizzas were questionable because of the toppings. risotto tater tots were cooked less than al dente, my BF couldn't finish them. side of root vegetables were undercooked also. we asked for the fries to be cooked well done and some were very soggy, and came out of the kitchen a minute after we had ordered them.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemThadVIPDined on 11/1/2014Huge selection of beer, great pizza though not enough choices, the other food items look pretty good although our table-neighbor's scallops smelled fishy at 3 feet away. Service was slow but they were slammed. Every neighborhood needs a comfortable go-to spot and this could be it but maybe not worth driving more than 10 or 15 minutes to get to.Special Features:
- fabulous!Cindy116Dined on 10/23/2014especially love the caesar salad and pizza. don't miss the smores cheesecake and pretzel bites either!!Special Features:
- Been there 8+ years for a reasonOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/23/2014The interior ambiance is reason alone to go. However, the excellent beer selection, quality food and hip atmosphere makes Rustico a worthwhile casual dining destination.Special Features:
- FitzFoodDined on 10/13/2014Good food. Amazing fried brocolli, really. Great beer list! Delirium Tremens anyone?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st timerbreakfastMANDined on 10/11/2014looked online and wanted brunch....haven't had before eating out....nice place, food good....ordered our food and my wife plate was lukewarm (they gladly fixed another)....also had biscuits with my meal and would have been nice to bring out at least some butter (had to ask for it)...server was cool and nice place to eat....good scene, comfortable....would mos def go again and try their pizza.......nice wine list and good beers to choose from......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, delicious foodDukestreetDined on 10/5/2014All our meals were delicious. They also have a few gluten-free options. Service was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza, expansive beer menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014Overall had a good experience. It was a bit noisy, but it was a packed Friday night. Nothing overly excessive that made the experience miserable. Loved the deep fried hard boiled egg and the carrot hummus app. Was equally happy with the beer selection. It is vast and they offer many selections (some that are very pricy). Mushroom pizza was delicious. Fresh dough crust and fresh toppings.Special Features:
- Special occasion - special serviceweluvrusticoDined on 10/1/2014Itb was out 7th anniversay, so we decided to go back to the restaurant that was the site of our first date. GREAT idea. Rustico (Alexandria) went out of its way to help us celebrate - attentive service fro our waitress (Olga), special appetizer gift from the chef (the best fried green tomatoes ever) and a dessert with a candle. Perfect acknopwledgement of the occassion without too much fuss. Thanks to all - a wonderful experience we hope to repeat (at least) every year!Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014I can walk to this restaurant, which is a first for me, and I appreciate that! The ambiance was just ok (there was a baby crying) but our server was great. The food was outstanding--special occasion--birthday dinner--top sirloin--yum!Special Features:
- Not comfortable seatingLovesRestaurantsDined on 9/20/2014When we arrived, the sun was at a level where it came directly through the windows of the restaurant. The blinds had been pulled, however, they are not completely sun-blocking. The first table the hostess took us to would have had the sun directly in my friend's face. When she mentioned that, the hostess remarked, "Not for long." I asked about another table (blocked by the sun) and she told me they were all reserved. The table at which we were seated still was uncomfortably bright, due to sun, but it wasn't face on. For me, this set the tone of the evening. Luckily, our waiter was quite good and we enjoyed our meals very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not perfect, but nice experienceartgirlDined on 9/11/2014We ordered the deep fried deviled eggs after reading a recommendation here, and they were disappointing. The egg whites were rubbery, and the center seemed like a regular hard-boiled egg yolk... not deviled at all. Still, the risotto tots were tasty, and the salted beet salad was wonderful. We also appreciated that there was a gluten-free pizza crust option available, and it was delicious. Service was pretty good until a large party arrived, and then it diminished greatly. Our server did not seem to be very happy tonight, until she brought our change, and then we saw a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marc1090Dined on 9/6/2014Try the Pastrami Ribs, amazing dish very different twist on Baby Back Ribs. Love this restturant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lekiliDined on 9/5/2014There was not much air conditioning so the restaurant was very hot and uncomfortable! They do not have a lot of high chairs. My friends were informed by the host that they were all out of high chairs and no booster seats but we were first on the list for a high chair. This was not true. We watched new tables be seated with a high chair. The food was pretty good and our server was nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 09/04/2014OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/4/2014Great food. LOVE the deep fried deviled eggs. Bartenders are super knowledgable and genuinely interested in their customers. This won't be the last time we visit.Special Features:
- Nice spotTrying2findgoodindianDined on 9/2/2014Great fries, burgers were good (but too much juice dripping). Long beer list.
- Beer and Flat breadsHStreetYuppieVIPDined on 8/24/2014We went here for brunch and sat outside on the patio. There seemed to be some confusion with getting our table, but besides that, it was a great meal. Huge beer list and lots of different flat breads to choose from. Would recommend the restaurant to my friends.Special Features:
- GFgirlGFgirlVIPDined on 8/23/2014We love the gluten-free pizza and the beet salad is great, also! Love the selection of wines and gluten-free beers.Special Features:
- An Experience Unlike Any OtherfessmiqDined on 8/23/2014Words can not express how amazing, awesome and a fun place Rustico is. From the insane beer list to the amazing culinary offerings, this place has it all. But it's the service and personality of the Rustico team that sets it apart from all the others. This crew delivers an experience that is unlike any other experience I've ever had. My family (including two small children) only wish we didn't live three hours away as it would be our second home, but for now, it is the only place we'll dine when visiting the DC area. The extremely knowledgeable, friendly, passionate staff is so impressive that you can tell they are all in on delivering an exceptional experience to all of their diners. Rustico is a must experience time and time again.Special Features:
- Nice selection of beersMikeVIPDined on 8/21/2014Deep fried deviled eggs threw me off but we tried them anyways and they were fantastic! I'll never look at deviled eggs the same again. The hostesses were in my opinion wasting the oxygen I could've been breathing. However our waiter made up for their incompetence. Overall the food was very tasty, seasoned very well, and appropriately portioned. Not the biggest variety of food but they had all the main proteins people look for with a larger selection of pizza, which I wasn't expecting. It doesn't give you the feel of a pizza joint. I would have given it a higher rating had the hostesses not irritated me.Special Features:
- An off nightSusanDined on 8/18/2014I have enjoyed Rustico over the years but this time (a Monday night) was a bit off. I was warmly greeted by a host and seated right away. But my dining partner's soda was flat and our service was very slow. The food was good but we had to wait forever for our server to pick up our check and to get refills. This is unusual as everything is normally top notch. I'll go back but perhaps on a busier night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For beer loversFoodie65VIPDined on 8/12/2014If you love beer-they got a whole menu! I like their roasted beet salad and pizza, they also have a good burger. Not a huge selection-but something for everyone:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustico FantasticoPoetArlington47Dined on 8/10/2014The superb food makes up for service that is a wee but tardy and rather loud noise levels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchbkluverDined on 8/9/2014Rustico's brunch is a favorite of ours, so when our two teenaged grandsons were visiting, we took them, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed everything. Best French toast he'd ever eaten, 17-year-old said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sleepy lunch, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014The Calypso pizza and sweet prosecco made for a delicious combo when I met an old friend at Rustsico for an early Saturday lunch. Service was attentive and warm. Flavors in pizza were scrumptious.Special Features:
- Fantastic neighborhood findRustico1Dined on 8/6/2014Great restaurant with a menu that changes regularly and new items added accordingly. Fantastic wood fired oven pizza and a beer selection that is second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 492 reviews are from the Rustico reviews archive.
- Love!LeitchDined on 7/25/2014We frequent rusticio and every time they deliver on great food and service!Special Features:
- loud and crowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/30/2014Not the place for a quiet anniversary dinner. However the food was excellent and the beer worthwhile. The server attempted to make the dinner as romantic as possible.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow and spotty serviceMPreDined on 6/29/2014This was our third time at Rustico, the location is convenient and we needed a place where our 18 month old wouldn't disturb the peace and Rustico is good for that. The past two times the service has been so slow that we got free refills on our soft drinks. This time, the service was slow, the hostess was not friendly and had us put our high chair directly in the late afternoon sun (saying that's the only place it could go) and when we asked for a new table so my son and I weren't blinded by the sun and they didn't accommodate. Overall I was unhappy, the food was okay, maybe go here for the bar. If you have little ones who get impatient after an hour between ordering and receiving your food, go elsewhere!
- No AC and very poor serviceAwfulDined on 6/18/2014They decided to not turn on the AC despite it being 95 degrees out. I was there with clients from out of town and chose Rustico based on my many previous positive experiences there and knowing the food is always good. It was somewhat embarrassing given we had had a rough day of meetings. Service was terrible. Waited for 20 minutes for drinks only to be told that their mint wasn't up to par and could they get us something else (another 15 minutes passed before the drinks came). Our waitress was great but it was clear they were understaffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.