3576 Mount Diablo Blvd
Lafayette, CA 94549Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rustictavernlafayette.com/
- Phone: 9253850559x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: T-Su 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: T-F 5:30pm-9:00pm
Dinner: Sa-Su 5:30pm-10:00pm
Brunch: Su 10:00am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gary Rust
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We will customize the menu and cater to your parties needs. From a 2-course meal to a 5 course chefs tasting with wine pairings.
- Special Events: Our patio is lovely for baby/weddingshowers, birthday/engagement parties. Sit down dinners or wine/cocktail parties with passed appetizers. Or, reserve the entire restaurant for your special occasion and we willwork closely with you to customize your event.
A word from Rustic Tavern
Executive Chef Gary Rust brings an exceptional level of culinary experince to the heart of Lafayette. A large focus on sustainable, organic and locally sourced ingredients are combined with a relaxed, casual, elegant atmosphere to offer an unmatched dining experience.With lunch offerings from unique salads, homemade pastas, organic chicken and the best burger in town to an incredible dinner menu featuring great starters, a grass fed New York Steak and fresh fish hand cut daily to ensure the highest quality........also, house made french fries!! Enjoy our full bar or let our staff take care of you on our spacious outdoor patio or in our comfortable dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Rustic Tavern - Best Restaurants in Lafayette ›
Rustic Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (73)great for outdoor dining (57)fit for foodies (53)great for lunch (47)special occasion (31)great for brunch (30)kid-friendly (21)good for groups (17)notable wine list (11)romantic (10)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good FoodTigerVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a very good dinner with great service. The only meal out of six that wasn't up to par was the pork chop, it was tough. The vegetables surrounding the chop were excellent. Six of us shared three salads...kale, arugula, house...all very good, especially the arugula. The short rib special was excellent. The pasta quite tasty as well. The chicken - good, possibly a bit dry in some parts, others quite juicy. Dessert - chocolate creme brulee -yummy. Chocolate ice cream - ok. Bread pudding - excellent. Service excellent!Special Features:
- Zero ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/20/2014Went here due to the favorable food reviews, and food was very good. Waitress was a bit surly, but not obnoxious. We (a romantic couple) were seated near the noisy front door, with a room full of empty tables. Apparently there is a reservation list, and then also a "preferred" reservation list. Ambiance was, well, I can't complain, it's right there in the name, "Rustic Tavern". Only myself to blame. Maybe lunch next time.Special Features:
- Nice ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014We like this place, warm, active atmosphere, great food, good service. We'll be going back.
- excellentdiyladyDined on 9/14/2014great meal very fresh local produce and meats everything made from scratch it was delicious our waiter was great we really enjoyed ourselvesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, yummy food!MomeeBeeDined on 9/13/2014I was impressed right off the bat when the restaurant graciously seated us even though we were 20 minutes early. Our server offered great advice when ordering. And everything from my lavender lemon cocktail to my halibut was delish. I also split the tomato and burrata salad with my girlfriends. I would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We had heard great things about Rustic Tavern from friends - and our experience exceeded our already high expectations. The food is amazing! The ambiance is really nice - and while the restaurant was full, it was still easy to hear one another. We plan to make this our go to restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food and service excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014The food and and atmosphere is Nothing short of amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like a sidewalk cafeFalconVIPDined on 9/11/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant. Nice atmosphere for dining outside on the sidewalk. Food was excellent. I had the PEI mussels which were superb and an excellent NY steak. Wife enjoyed her pasta. Wine prices are not overly inflated as in many restaurants. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodLindodaDined on 9/6/2014Limited menu, but cooked very well. I had the chicken, beautifully done, moist and very flavorful. My husband had the pork chop, ordered medium, somewhat dry. The Caesar salad was excellent. Good bar service. Ordered a bottle of Merlot, way too cold...had to warm with our hands, very tannic and still chilly. The seating was an issue...tables for 2 were in the middle with about 8 inches in between, way too close! If you didn't want that you were directed to bar seating. This could definitely be improved. Not sure if we will go back. They did have outside seating.Special Features:
- Rustic Tavern Consistantly GoodSunnySandyVIPDined on 9/5/2014We often eat lunch at the Rustic Tavern and are not disappointed. The service is excellent and the food as well. The owner always comes over to our table to say hello. She is very friendly and we enjoy talking to her. Their hamburger and roasted vegetable sandwich are made on a unique bun which is quite delicious. Both, also, are excellent and made perfectly. We also suggest the Cobb Salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some good, some not so...QmarzDined on 9/3/2014Ate here last winter and had a really good dinner. This meal was ok. Kale salad - fantastic! Brussel sprouts really good! Artichoke tasteless and not cooked well - tough. Peach crisp - crisp was good, peach was tasteless. Fettucine was good, salmon was ok - not too fresh. Mussels were really good! Orange chocolate brûlée good!Special Features:
- Foodie1Dined on 9/3/2014Was my second time here for lunch and both times delivered. The kale salad was delicious as was the gazpacho. Gazpacho is one of my favorite soups and hardly anyone has it on the menu. It was a special on this day so I loved it. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit salty again.loreeDined on 8/31/2014This was our second visit here. I sure with they would give us points for open table! The first time I went I had mussels that were very salty. This time I tried their special of seafood stew. Again, so salty that I couldn't finish it. My husband said that it's because I order seafood. I don't know if I even want to try anything else there. I will stick with the kale salad and bread (which the waitress kept bringing 2 pieces at the time) We kept having to ask for more- seafood stew with NO bread? My husband's NY steak was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambience but short the detailsSlartibartfastDined on 8/30/2014Some of the food was great (salmon appetizer, tomato salad), but my halibut came out way late and lukewarm (sitting on the bed of greens too long) and the kitchen was way too slow. We got there when the restaurant opened and didn't see any food for 45 minutes (and the place was practically empty). The waitress was nice enough, but - as I said - the kitchen was incredibly slow. Beyond that, we ordered a salad to go with our 9 year old daughter pasta and they brought out the same (overly huge) salad they serve everyone. Odd.Special Features:
- winendine42VIPDined on 8/23/2014I had the short ribs and my wife had the halibut both were great. Would recommend those dishes. Our waitress was not the best but would recommend this place non the less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendly restaurantlove2workDined on 8/22/2014We enjoy the owners and the staff, we are interested in the smoked meats and the vegetables, the pepper sauce and the cheesecake! Always a pleasure.Special Features:
- Good local placeKarenDined on 8/22/2014Great service, good menu choices, food was salty and prime rib was a bit over cookedSpecial Features:
- Favorite Flavorful BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014'Always a special treat to have brunch at Rustic Tavern. 'Always a special treat to introduce someone new to Rustic Tavern. Thus, we had a double treat last Sunday when we introduced old friends to the Tavern's special brunch menu.Special Features:
- Over pricedFromCaliforniaDined on 8/15/2014While the service and ambience were very good, the restaurant in general is over priced. The $29 steak I had was full of gristle - I have had better steaks from Safeway for far less. The wine list was incredibly expensive and I felt like I was being gouged. Not sure we will return.
- Great place!loreeDined on 8/15/2014This was our first time to Rustic Tavern-we always had a hard time getting reservations….We enjoyed my son's 22nd birthday here (his choice!). the food was great - mostly their Kale salad and the special of the day, Smoked prime rib. I don't eat meat, but took a taste and almost went to the "other side". On Yelp there are people who said the service was lacking. I feel that this was the STRONG point. The owner, other waitstaff, etc. came to ask how things were and to wish my son a great birthday. The busboys were totally attentive and we couldn't have asked for better service. The only reason I put 4 stars for the food is that the mussels were pretty salty! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- Such a changeDineoutqueenVIPDined on 8/14/2014This was the first time this restaurant disappointed. We were there 20 minutes before server asked if we would like drinks. That was the beginning of slow to everything. The salmon was delicious but peas under were hard and flavorless, sauce was too heavy, bitter taste. Rest of vegetable was too strong and unappealing. The paella was served Luke warm but after waiting so long no one wanted to say. We brought a bottle of wine and it was only opened after we asked twice. Had to ask for refill on water twice. We may not go back. Serious under performance for a restaurant that was so good on several previous visits.
- DebCDined on 8/13/2014Food is alway exceptional!!! The salmon melts in your mouth, everthing is fresh and flavorful.Special Features:
- So so.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014We had a pretty bad service experience at Rustic Tavern. We were not greeted promptly by our server as we sat down to start. She didn't tell us the specials and we had to ask her. She forgot about my wine order on top of all that. We were feeling pretty bad about our choice of date night and then the grilled artichoke appetizer came and it was way undercooked. Could it get any worse? Thankfully it got better when our main courses arrived (carbonara and NY steak). The dessert was fantastic but we just couldn't get past the bad service we received at the beginning. The managers seemed to be doing a lot of work pouring water and delivering food. Maybe they should hire more waitstaff.Special Features:
- Good Neighborhood RestaurantfoodiefunDined on 8/8/2014Went here for our anniversary dinner based on previous reviews here and on Yelp. Had the Mussels...very tasty...Heirloom & Burrata Salad...very tasty. Husband had the chicken...I did not taste his dish. It looked well presented, but nothing over the top. I had the fettuccini "carbonara" with pork belly, English peas and a poached egg. Unfortunately, I think they plated the pasta dish way too soon, by the time it got to the table the fettuccini and sauce had already congealed and the pork belly were tough little chunks. The poached egg, though, was obviously added right before the server brought it out and was poached perfectly. This was an unfortunate way to end an otherwise nice meal.Special Features:
- Nice night outOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/8/2014Food was very good and service was on par with the food. I had the pork chop and the waiter was clear that it should be ordered medium, which was the right call and was really good. We brought a bottle of wine, because of the reasonable corkage, but the wine list would have had enough suitable options - no big names but no big prices either. We sat outside, which on a nice summer evening is a nice way to go, even though it is along busy Mt Diablo Blvd. Tables are good for 2-4, but larger parties might find it too small. I will come back here again, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice local place without the lines or inconsistent service in some of the larger new choices in Lafayette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebCDined on 8/6/2014I have sampled many items from the menu and enjoyed every one. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantSandyKDined on 8/3/2014I have been to Rustic Tavern for Dinner with a group and more recently for Sunday Brunch. I found the staff to be friendly and knowledgeable. For my recent brunch I had a fresh arugula salad and split with a friend the daily special, a pork loin hash. The portions were a decent, and we had some to take home.Special Features:
- OverpricedTJ2014Dined on 8/2/2014The staff are friendly. Food was inconsistent. The vegetables were fresh and not overcooked. However, there is an overuse of "smokey" flavorings so all began to taste the same. The proteins were well sourced. However, the portions were small for the price. Fish was cooked perfectly but chicken was over cooked. Waitress rattled off the daily specials way too quickly and we had to call her back to repeat them - annoying. Definitely overpriced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodOrindaGalDined on 8/2/2014I love the cozy atmosphere and the delicious food. I had the salmon and it was the best I've ever had in a restaurant, and I order salmon quite often. It was slightly crispy on the outside and cooked to perfection on the inside - moist, just barely cooked. Often salmon is overcooked, but not this! We also ordered the brussel sprouts as a side which were delicious. Friendly hostess, waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/1/2014Nice bar, low key crowd.Interesting creative menu. The nightly specials are best. Late night dining after 8, the service really drops off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/30/2014The special of the day was a delicious halibut with fresh veggies- it was outstanding. I always have a wonderful meal here, it is just a bit pricey but i guess you get what you pay for!Special Features:
- Left without eatingCarolynVIPDined on 7/26/2014We arrived at the restaurant 15 minutes prior to our reservation and had a drink at the bar. We were seated at 7:45 and the bartender came out to let us know she'd be our server. She took our order right away and brought out our wine and an artichoke appetizer. At 8:45 we still did not have our entree and were blowing through our bottle of wine. We inquired as really, an hour? The manager came out with a piece of paper and said "your orders were not put in until 8:26". Uh ok. First of all, what does that have to do with us? We placed our order way before that. We ended up doing something we've never done before. We left without eating. We drove over to Prima and had a great (late) meal.
- Great dinnernikmDined on 7/22/2014My friend and I visited the Rustic Tavern for the first time Tuesday evening, we had reservations for 6pm and were immediately seated. Service was perfect throughout the evening. I ordered the Halibut Special which was delicious and my friend ordered the 1/2 chicken which was huge and amazingly tasty. We both enjoyed the atmosphere, service and food.We will be returning soon.Special Features:
- Imaginative Twists On Old FavoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014Chef Gary Rust can take virtually any "old favorite" and add special, unique, and complementary flavors making an "old favorite" into a totally "new favorite." Gary's brain and taste buds are constantly seeking new ways to please his patrons. The staff at "Rustic Tavern" are obviously pleased to be working at such a special and popular restaurant and it shows in their service. Truly a "neighborhood gem."Special Features:
- First Time HereOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/18/2014Rustic Tavern has been open for quite some time, but this was my first visit (lunch). Service was quite prompt and friendly. The menu for lunch covered the gamete without being too onerous. I had the special which was fish and chips - portion-wise, it was too big - three pieces of fish, ton of fries, and a 1/2 pint of coleslaw. Food was mediocre - the breading was soggy, fries so-so, and the coleslaw, while cleverly served in a canning jar, was bland. I would probably try again, but there are a lot of choices out there where you can be assured of good food.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2014Great little neighborhood gem! Excellent local menu and food was stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AyjayAlsopinionDined on 7/3/2014Good food and pleasant surroundings. Quieter than most local restaurants.Special Features:
- Rustic TavernHeckleVIPDined on 6/15/2014Suprisingly good--first visit success for Father's Day brunch. Desserts are minute bites to savour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice changeEiEiOhNoDined on 6/15/2014Went for Father's Day brunch. Had a nice menu selection for the occasion. Staff was friendly if a bit over worked. The bar made a fabulous fresh Bloody Mary. The kids enjoyed their dishes. Has a rustic smokehouse atmosphere. The price was within range of the $$ rating. Food was original and good. We would go back again even if not for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Never diisappointsmamamuffinVIPDined on 6/7/2014Friendly and knowledgeable staff, vibrant ambiance, and food that never disappoints. This is our new "go to" spot.Special Features: