3576 Mount Diablo Blvd
Lafayette, CA 94549Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rustictavernlafayette.com/
- Phone: (925) 385-0559
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: T-Su 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: T-F 5:30pm-9:00pm
Dinner: Sa-Su 5:30pm-10:00pm
Brunch: Su 10:00am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gary Rust
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We will customize the menu and cater to your parties needs. From a 2-course meal to a 5 course chefs tasting with wine pairings.
- Special Events: Our patio is lovely for baby/wedding showers, birthday/engagement parties. Sit down dinners or wine/cocktail parties with passed appetizers. Or, reserve the entire restaurant for your special occasion and we will work closely with you to customize your event.
A word from Rustic Tavern
Executive Chef Gary Rust brings an exceptional level of culinary experince to the heart of Lafayette. A large focus on sustainable, organic and locally sourced ingredients are combined with a relaxed, casual, elegant atmosphere to offer an unmatched dining experience.With lunch offerings from unique salads, homemade pastas, organic chicken and the best burger in town to an incredible dinner menu featuring great starters, a grass fed New York Steak and fresh fish hand cut daily to ensure the highest quality........also, house made french fries!! Enjoy our full bar or let our staff take care of you on our spacious outdoor patio or in our comfortable dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Rustic Tavern - Best Restaurants in Lafayette ›
Rustic Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (66)great for outdoor dining (58)fit for foodies (56)great for lunch (41)good for groups (28)special occasion (27)great for brunch (27)kid-friendly (17)notable wine list (12)hot spot (8)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (2)Show More
- Good Food in Casual AtmospherePatspawsVIPDined on 11/20/2014I want to be able to give this place 3.5 stars, because it's certainly better than average, but not quite 4 stars. First, I enjoy being able to eat a good meal in a casual atmosphere. And Rustic Tavern provides that. My disappointment really centers on the pricing. I don't mind paying a premium for quality ingredients, but I always leave Rustic Tavern with the sense that I didn't quite get my money's worth. For example, the $26 salmon entree', while very good, could have benefitted from more than a few mushrooms and cauliflower sprigs. At that price, I don't want to feel as though I need to order an additional side to round out the meal. With so many dining options nearby, Rustic Tavern, for me, remains a decent choice, but not our go-to restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good placeLetsEatVIPDined on 11/19/2014Everyone liked there lunch. Great fries, excellent Cobb salad, very good mussels. Parking can be a challenge. Service was excellent and we would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loves2eatVIPDined on 11/13/2014After a disappointing first visit, I was encouraged by friends to return to Rustic Tavern Pleasantly surprised, my guest and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner, attentively served. The Salmon entree was delicious and the accompaniments equally tasty We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over Priced / limited menundg40Dined on 11/12/2014Went with a friend and we got ribs that were told to die for, and the special for the night... we should have asked the price b/c I would not have paid 26 dollars for ribs with A LOT of sauce on them. Very disappointed to get an 80 dollar bill with no alcohol for two ppl. - I could have gone to kinders and got a lot more. Great tomato salad and service - just really let down with our main course.
- Excellent food, friendly servicemattysmomDined on 11/11/2014We brought our entire staff and spouses to dinner the other night. From the start to the end the service was impressive. Helpful without being intrusive. Every's meal was excellent. We will definately come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service & food were greatFrankieDined on 11/11/2014When we made our reservations they told us because it was Veterans Day that anyone that had served would get 50% off on there entree that day. They were so sweet to our Vet and to us. We have been there three times now and we really like it alot. They have a great bar and the food is very good. Service was excellent and I would recommend it to anyone. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my rustic reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014This is my fourth time at rustic tavern, the people and the food are out standing I look forward to coming again. I love the lunch and dinner menu and the drinks are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dinner Ever!polydoly99Dined on 11/6/2014I celebrated my birthday dinner here with my family and it was probably one of the best meals that I have ever eaten (and I am super picky!) The rustic atmosphere combined with the smaller dining room really made it a peace and quiet experience. Our server was great and we never felt rushed. The food was phenomenal!!! I highly recommend the salmon and bread pudding :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cirrus 22donjose14Dined on 11/2/2014The best mussels this side of Belgium-not overcooked as in most restaurants; service prompt and efficient. Petrale sole cooked just right. Plates ample, could have just had an appetizer and saladSpecial Features:
- Nice local placeQuietVIPDined on 11/2/2014My daughter and I came here for brunch and were very pleased. The service was prompt and courteous and the food was tasty. It's a nice little place near -but set somewhat apart from- several shopping centers.Special Features:
- Wish I tried soonerJCKODined on 11/1/2014Menu contains a lot of organic ingredients, which was a plus. We had smoked salmon, petrale sole, and NY steak. Every single bite was amazing. Waitress was a delight. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great experience.SharpDinerVIPDined on 10/30/2014Had dinner with a group. Service was great. Dinner was amazing. 3 of us had the special which was lick your plate good. I will return for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Go-To Location in LafayetteGabiDined on 10/25/2014I took a friend from out of town to this location on 10/25. We have dined together on a number of other occasions. He has a well-developed palette and he shared the same assessment of the location as I did: the food was great! My pork chop was honestly one of the best I've ever had. My friend's special of the beef short rib was outstanding. Heirloom tomato salad: top notch. The bread pudding: honestly the best I've ever had. It was crispy in all the right locations and SO flavorful. My only complaint is the noise level. I guess it's just something we all put up with in the Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food2wineanddineDined on 10/19/2014I've been there several times, each time the food was great, especially the steak. I would go there again with my friends and family.Special Features:
- Good Lafayette brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/19/2014We had a delightful brunch sitting on the patio. An innovative brunch cocktail menu and well-prepared meal items in portions that leave plenty to take home. Good food, friendly wait staff, and a relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Always consitently great!SunnySandyVIPDined on 10/17/2014We often eat lunch at the Rustic Tavern - it's always consistently great - service is perfect, food always presented in an appealing way and delicious. My husband had tried many items on the menu and enjoyed all of them! Me? I cannot get enough of the roasted vegetable sandwich - it's perfect!Special Features:
- Innovative ChoicesJohnDined on 10/12/2014Liked best was the unique offerings/tastes. Started off with watermelon & orange sangria cocktail, a bar specialty. Next: kale salad, something we've never had before; tasty with tangerines, currants, pine nuts and goat cheese - it was quite large. I had apple glazed Niman Ranch Pork chop, my wife had the halibut special served on a bed of kale, both came with a very tasty mix of sliced summer veggies. On our visit, the restaurant was not crowded, the noise level was OK - could be different on a busy night, with two TV screens. Service started a bit slow but then picked up and the waitress as well as the maitre-d (sp?) were friendly. Small complaint: found the non-upholstered chairs a bit hard (maybe that's the "rustic" part).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine!KariCDined on 10/12/2014Yes, brunch at Rustic Tavern is indeed divine! Love their specials- from the robust and flavorful Barbacoa with poached eggs to that juicy burger of theirs. Sadly, Rustic Tavern only serves brunch on Sunday, but it's definitely worth the wait.Special Features:
- Rustic but classyouttolunchDined on 10/8/2014This restaurant is well thought out. The decor and ambiance match the restaurant name. The food was exceptionally good and the portions perfect. Service was on point. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Always consistently great!SunnySandyVIPDined on 10/1/2014We often eat lunch at the Rustic Tavern because is is consistently great. The service is always excellent. The owner remembers us and always greets us and chats for a few minutes at the table asking if everything is good for us. Most of all the food is always delicious - well prepared and presented. A favorite of mine is the roasted vegetable sandwich - best bun anywhere and cooked perfectly. Just wish it was on the dinner menu as well.Special Features:
- LocalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The food and service are consistently good at Rustic, it is one of our go to restaurants.Special Features:
- Suburban eatingsbayursbitesVIPDined on 9/26/2014We were doing well until my partners fish arrived. It was over-cooked. When we were asked by a roving manager how our dinner was progressing--we remarked on this. She expressed frustration in that the average diners typically send it back because "it's not cooked all the way through." She went to the kitchen and returned shortly with a freshly prepared piece that was much better. The carbonara pasta was good, but the inclusion of peas should be either as a garnish and not noted on the menu or as it is stated-a larger quantity of such. The pork belly was crispy and a nice sub for bacon. This earns a mixed review from us. We'd return, but not super high on our list.
- Nice surpriseGbdosuDined on 9/26/2014As much as I dislike lafyette, I am continually surprised at the delicious food options. Rustic tavern is an easy to miss spot but the food is fantastic. I enjoyed the beet salad, rib and chicken wing appetizer special and while my fettuccini main was just ok the Portuguese seafood stew was out of this world. I highly recommend everyone gives it a try, just make sure you get a rezi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pork for breakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014I think we went when they had an overload of pork. I got the pulled pork sandwich and liked the balance of sauce and meat, plus the side of salad made me feel less guilty. My husband got a play on a BLT and I had to try his frys, which were perfect and crunchy. Someone got a brunch option which had pork and looked amazing. Overall, everyone was happy with what they got and I would be happy to go back and try new dishes.Special Features:
- Good FoodTigerVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a very good dinner with great service. The only meal out of six that wasn't up to par was the pork chop, it was tough. The vegetables surrounding the chop were excellent. Six of us shared three salads...kale, arugula, house...all very good, especially the arugula. The short rib special was excellent. The pasta quite tasty as well. The chicken - good, possibly a bit dry in some parts, others quite juicy. Dessert - chocolate creme brulee -yummy. Chocolate ice cream - ok. Bread pudding - excellent. Service excellent!Special Features:
- Zero ambiance.LocalDinerDined on 9/20/2014Went here due to the favorable food reviews, and food was very good. Waitress was a bit surly, but not obnoxious. We (a romantic couple) were seated near the noisy front door, with a room full of empty tables. Apparently there is a reservation list, and then also a "preferred" reservation list. Ambiance was, well, I can't complain, it's right there in the name, "Rustic Tavern". Only myself to blame. Maybe lunch next time.Special Features:
- Nice ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014We like this place, warm, active atmosphere, great food, good service. We'll be going back.
- excellentdiyladyDined on 9/14/2014great meal very fresh local produce and meats everything made from scratch it was delicious our waiter was great we really enjoyed ourselvesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, yummy food!MomeeBeeDined on 9/13/2014I was impressed right off the bat when the restaurant graciously seated us even though we were 20 minutes early. Our server offered great advice when ordering. And everything from my lavender lemon cocktail to my halibut was delish. I also split the tomato and burrata salad with my girlfriends. I would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We had heard great things about Rustic Tavern from friends - and our experience exceeded our already high expectations. The food is amazing! The ambiance is really nice - and while the restaurant was full, it was still easy to hear one another. We plan to make this our go to restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food and service excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014The food and and atmosphere is Nothing short of amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like a sidewalk cafeFalconVIPDined on 9/11/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant. Nice atmosphere for dining outside on the sidewalk. Food was excellent. I had the PEI mussels which were superb and an excellent NY steak. Wife enjoyed her pasta. Wine prices are not overly inflated as in many restaurants. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodLindodaDined on 9/6/2014Limited menu, but cooked very well. I had the chicken, beautifully done, moist and very flavorful. My husband had the pork chop, ordered medium, somewhat dry. The Caesar salad was excellent. Good bar service. Ordered a bottle of Merlot, way too cold...had to warm with our hands, very tannic and still chilly. The seating was an issue...tables for 2 were in the middle with about 8 inches in between, way too close! If you didn't want that you were directed to bar seating. This could definitely be improved. Not sure if we will go back. They did have outside seating.Special Features:
- Rustic Tavern Consistantly GoodSunnySandyVIPDined on 9/5/2014We often eat lunch at the Rustic Tavern and are not disappointed. The service is excellent and the food as well. The owner always comes over to our table to say hello. She is very friendly and we enjoy talking to her. Their hamburger and roasted vegetable sandwich are made on a unique bun which is quite delicious. Both, also, are excellent and made perfectly. We also suggest the Cobb Salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some good, some not so...QmarzDined on 9/3/2014Ate here last winter and had a really good dinner. This meal was ok. Kale salad - fantastic! Brussel sprouts really good! Artichoke tasteless and not cooked well - tough. Peach crisp - crisp was good, peach was tasteless. Fettucine was good, salmon was ok - not too fresh. Mussels were really good! Orange chocolate brûlée good!Special Features:
- Foodie1Dined on 9/3/2014Was my second time here for lunch and both times delivered. The kale salad was delicious as was the gazpacho. Gazpacho is one of my favorite soups and hardly anyone has it on the menu. It was a special on this day so I loved it. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit salty again.loreeVIPDined on 8/31/2014This was our second visit here. I sure with they would give us points for open table! The first time I went I had mussels that were very salty. This time I tried their special of seafood stew. Again, so salty that I couldn't finish it. My husband said that it's because I order seafood. I don't know if I even want to try anything else there. I will stick with the kale salad and bread (which the waitress kept bringing 2 pieces at the time) We kept having to ask for more- seafood stew with NO bread? My husband's NY steak was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambience but short the detailsSlartibartfastDined on 8/30/2014Some of the food was great (salmon appetizer, tomato salad), but my halibut came out way late and lukewarm (sitting on the bed of greens too long) and the kitchen was way too slow. We got there when the restaurant opened and didn't see any food for 45 minutes (and the place was practically empty). The waitress was nice enough, but - as I said - the kitchen was incredibly slow. Beyond that, we ordered a salad to go with our 9 year old daughter pasta and they brought out the same (overly huge) salad they serve everyone. Odd.Special Features:
- winendine42VIPDined on 8/23/2014I had the short ribs and my wife had the halibut both were great. Would recommend those dishes. Our waitress was not the best but would recommend this place non the less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendly restaurantlove2workDined on 8/22/2014We enjoy the owners and the staff, we are interested in the smoked meats and the vegetables, the pepper sauce and the cheesecake! Always a pleasure.Special Features: