3576 Mount Diablo Blvd
Lafayette, CA 94549Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rustictavernlafayette.com/
- Phone: 9253850559x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: T-Su 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: T-F 5:30pm-9:00pm
Dinner: Sa-Su 5:30pm-10:00pm
Brunch: Su 10:00am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gary Rust
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We will customize the menu and cater to your parties needs. From a 2-course meal to a 5 course chefs tasting with wine pairings.
- Special Events: Our patio is lovely for baby/weddingshowers, birthday/engagement parties. Sit down dinners or wine/cocktail parties with passed appetizers. Or, reserve the entire restaurant for your special occasion and we willwork closely with you to customize your event.
A word from Rustic Tavern
Executive Chef Gary Rust brings an exceptional level of culinary experince to the heart of Lafayette. A large focus on sustainable, organic and locally sourced ingredients are combined with a relaxed, casual, elegant atmosphere to offer an unmatched dining experience.With lunch offerings from unique salads, homemade pastas, organic chicken and the best burger in town to an incredible dinner menu featuring great starters, a grass fed New York Steak and fresh fish hand cut daily to ensure the highest quality........also, house made french fries!! Enjoy our full bar or let our staff take care of you on our spacious outdoor patio or in our comfortable dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Rustic Tavern - Best Restaurants in Lafayette ›
Rustic Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)great for outdoor dining (52)fit for foodies (50)great for lunch (42)special occasion (30)great for brunch (25)kid-friendly (23)good for groups (18)romantic (11)notable wine list (8)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- friendly restaurantlove2workDined on 8/22/2014We enjoy the owners and the staff, we are interested in the smoked meats and the vegetables, the pepper sauce and the cheesecake! Always a pleasure.Special Features:
- Good local placeKarenDined on 8/22/2014Great service, good menu choices, food was salty and prime rib was a bit over cookedSpecial Features:
- Favorite Flavorful BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014'Always a special treat to have brunch at Rustic Tavern. 'Always a special treat to introduce someone new to Rustic Tavern. Thus, we had a double treat last Sunday when we introduced old friends to the Tavern's special brunch menu.Special Features:
- Over pricedFromCaliforniaDined on 8/15/2014While the service and ambience were very good, the restaurant in general is over priced. The $29 steak I had was full of gristle - I have had better steaks from Safeway for far less. The wine list was incredibly expensive and I felt like I was being gouged. Not sure we will return.
- Great place!loreeDined on 8/15/2014This was our first time to Rustic Tavern-we always had a hard time getting reservations….We enjoyed my son's 22nd birthday here (his choice!). the food was great - mostly their Kale salad and the special of the day, Smoked prime rib. I don't eat meat, but took a taste and almost went to the "other side". On Yelp there are people who said the service was lacking. I feel that this was the STRONG point. The owner, other waitstaff, etc. came to ask how things were and to wish my son a great birthday. The busboys were totally attentive and we couldn't have asked for better service. The only reason I put 4 stars for the food is that the mussels were pretty salty! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- Such a changeDineoutqueenVIPDined on 8/14/2014This was the first time this restaurant disappointed. We were there 20 minutes before server asked if we would like drinks. That was the beginning of slow to everything. The salmon was delicious but peas under were hard and flavorless, sauce was too heavy, bitter taste. Rest of vegetable was too strong and unappealing. The paella was served Luke warm but after waiting so long no one wanted to say. We brought a bottle of wine and it was only opened after we asked twice. Had to ask for refill on water twice. We may not go back. Serious under performance for a restaurant that was so good on several previous visits.
- DebCDined on 8/13/2014Food is alway exceptional!!! The salmon melts in your mouth, everthing is fresh and flavorful.Special Features:
- So so.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014We had a pretty bad service experience at Rustic Tavern. We were not greeted promptly by our server as we sat down to start. She didn't tell us the specials and we had to ask her. She forgot about my wine order on top of all that. We were feeling pretty bad about our choice of date night and then the grilled artichoke appetizer came and it was way undercooked. Could it get any worse? Thankfully it got better when our main courses arrived (carbonara and NY steak). The dessert was fantastic but we just couldn't get past the bad service we received at the beginning. The managers seemed to be doing a lot of work pouring water and delivering food. Maybe they should hire more waitstaff.Special Features:
- Good Neighborhood RestaurantfoodiefunDined on 8/8/2014Went here for our anniversary dinner based on previous reviews here and on Yelp. Had the Mussels...very tasty...Heirloom & Burrata Salad...very tasty. Husband had the chicken...I did not taste his dish. It looked well presented, but nothing over the top. I had the fettuccini "carbonara" with pork belly, English peas and a poached egg. Unfortunately, I think they plated the pasta dish way too soon, by the time it got to the table the fettuccini and sauce had already congealed and the pork belly were tough little chunks. The poached egg, though, was obviously added right before the server brought it out and was poached perfectly. This was an unfortunate way to end an otherwise nice meal.Special Features:
- Nice night outOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/8/2014Food was very good and service was on par with the food. I had the pork chop and the waiter was clear that it should be ordered medium, which was the right call and was really good. We brought a bottle of wine, because of the reasonable corkage, but the wine list would have had enough suitable options - no big names but no big prices either. We sat outside, which on a nice summer evening is a nice way to go, even though it is along busy Mt Diablo Blvd. Tables are good for 2-4, but larger parties might find it too small. I will come back here again, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice local place without the lines or inconsistent service in some of the larger new choices in Lafayette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebCDined on 8/6/2014I have sampled many items from the menu and enjoyed every one. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantSandyKDined on 8/3/2014I have been to Rustic Tavern for Dinner with a group and more recently for Sunday Brunch. I found the staff to be friendly and knowledgeable. For my recent brunch I had a fresh arugula salad and split with a friend the daily special, a pork loin hash. The portions were a decent, and we had some to take home.Special Features:
- OverpricedTJ2014Dined on 8/2/2014The staff are friendly. Food was inconsistent. The vegetables were fresh and not overcooked. However, there is an overuse of "smokey" flavorings so all began to taste the same. The proteins were well sourced. However, the portions were small for the price. Fish was cooked perfectly but chicken was over cooked. Waitress rattled off the daily specials way too quickly and we had to call her back to repeat them - annoying. Definitely overpriced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodOrindaGalDined on 8/2/2014I love the cozy atmosphere and the delicious food. I had the salmon and it was the best I've ever had in a restaurant, and I order salmon quite often. It was slightly crispy on the outside and cooked to perfection on the inside - moist, just barely cooked. Often salmon is overcooked, but not this! We also ordered the brussel sprouts as a side which were delicious. Friendly hostess, waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/1/2014Nice bar, low key crowd.Interesting creative menu. The nightly specials are best. Late night dining after 8, the service really drops off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2014The special of the day was a delicious halibut with fresh veggies- it was outstanding. I always have a wonderful meal here, it is just a bit pricey but i guess you get what you pay for!Special Features:
- Left without eatingCarolynVIPDined on 7/26/2014We arrived at the restaurant 15 minutes prior to our reservation and had a drink at the bar. We were seated at 7:45 and the bartender came out to let us know she'd be our server. She took our order right away and brought out our wine and an artichoke appetizer. At 8:45 we still did not have our entree and were blowing through our bottle of wine. We inquired as really, an hour? The manager came out with a piece of paper and said "your orders were not put in until 8:26". Uh ok. First of all, what does that have to do with us? We placed our order way before that. We ended up doing something we've never done before. We left without eating. We drove over to Prima and had a great (late) meal.
- Great dinnernikmDined on 7/22/2014My friend and I visited the Rustic Tavern for the first time Tuesday evening, we had reservations for 6pm and were immediately seated. Service was perfect throughout the evening. I ordered the Halibut Special which was delicious and my friend ordered the 1/2 chicken which was huge and amazingly tasty. We both enjoyed the atmosphere, service and food.We will be returning soon.Special Features:
- Imaginative Twists On Old FavoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014Chef Gary Rust can take virtually any "old favorite" and add special, unique, and complementary flavors making an "old favorite" into a totally "new favorite." Gary's brain and taste buds are constantly seeking new ways to please his patrons. The staff at "Rustic Tavern" are obviously pleased to be working at such a special and popular restaurant and it shows in their service. Truly a "neighborhood gem."Special Features:
- First Time HereOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/18/2014Rustic Tavern has been open for quite some time, but this was my first visit (lunch). Service was quite prompt and friendly. The menu for lunch covered the gamete without being too onerous. I had the special which was fish and chips - portion-wise, it was too big - three pieces of fish, ton of fries, and a 1/2 pint of coleslaw. Food was mediocre - the breading was soggy, fries so-so, and the coleslaw, while cleverly served in a canning jar, was bland. I would probably try again, but there are a lot of choices out there where you can be assured of good food.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2014Great little neighborhood gem! Excellent local menu and food was stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AyjayAlsopinionDined on 7/3/2014Good food and pleasant surroundings. Quieter than most local restaurants.Special Features:
- Rustic TavernHeckleDined on 6/15/2014Suprisingly good--first visit success for Father's Day brunch. Desserts are minute bites to savour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice changeEiEiOhNoDined on 6/15/2014Went for Father's Day brunch. Had a nice menu selection for the occasion. Staff was friendly if a bit over worked. The bar made a fabulous fresh Bloody Mary. The kids enjoyed their dishes. Has a rustic smokehouse atmosphere. The price was within range of the $$ rating. Food was original and good. We would go back again even if not for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Never diisappointsmamamuffinVIPDined on 6/7/2014Friendly and knowledgeable staff, vibrant ambiance, and food that never disappoints. This is our new "go to" spot.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014I've already recommended Rustic Tavern to several people. The service was good but the food was divine. Wonderful flavors and fresh. The owner seated us and was welcoming, warm and interested in our dining experience. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious CuisineAnnieDined on 5/30/2014We enjoy this neighborhood restaurant located on the main street of lovely Lafayette. The cuisine is delicious, with very fresh produce, excellent salads, and tender, high-quality meats from the smoker/grill. The preparations are unique but not pretentious and portions are generous.Very friendly, attentive wait staff. It's lovely dining on the patio in summertime. It's low key, so jeans and sandals are fine.Special Features:
- VERY GOOD and CLIMBINGGregVIPDined on 5/30/2014The Rustic Tavern recently celebrated its 1st birthday and, although it was was quite good from the very start, it has, over that year, refined and polished it's menu, wine list, service and, most importantly, its understanding of what their clientele wants in an memorable dining experience, from the friendly greeting at the door to the to the smiles and "thank you"s at the end of the day. The menu selections are not all-too-many but are diverse, well thought out and prepared perfectly in concert with the season's best and freshest offerings. Being so popular, it is often filled to capacity and it was quite noisy initially, but they recognized that and have abated the noise level with a new ceiling. The experience is better than ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent qualityDineoutqueenVIPDined on 5/29/2014Rustic tavern has now become one of our favorite local restaurants. We had wild salmon grilled just right with a flavorful selection of vegetables and spices. We find the service to be very good with knowledgable friendly servers. Salads are large and creative. Kale was very fresh and uniquely flavored. Very good value with adequate pours for wines by the glass. Not stingy with any preparation but not overdone. Just go and enjoy.Special Features:
- Always a Great Meal and ExperiencelovetodineVIPDined on 5/29/2014I love this place. The food is excellent, creative and perfectly prepared. The kale salad is the best anywhere, but everything is excellent. The artichoke is excellent. The pasta (daily house-made fettucine) is the best I have ever had. The mussels are also excellent, and I have had some excellent specials here as well. The service has always been warm, friendly, attentive and extremely competent. Everyone from the head of the house, bartenders, wait staff/servers, always make one feel welcome and wanting to make sure you have an excellent dining experience. I have been here many times, including special occasions (e.g. valentine's) as well as more typical night out meals. Always a great meal and experience, try it, you'll like it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuddVIPDined on 5/29/2014Perhaps we ordered the wrong things. I had the kale salad, which was nice, and my friend had the Caesar salad and enjoyed it. But the risotto version of paella was average, at best. Some of the shellfish was not very warm, some of the fish was in small pieces that kind of disintegrated, there was too much chicken spread across the top, and the saffron sauce was runny and not very delicate...in short, it just didn't come together in the balanced, delicious, intermingled way that should characterize paella (or a good risotto, for that matter). The chocolate creme brûlée was one dimensional...just an ordinary sweet dish, nothing special. The wine list was a bit limited,but offered some nice choices, and we enjoyed the glasses we ordered.
- Really good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014The noise was so loud that it was impossible to carry on a normal conversation. It did not help that the foursome behind us were obnoxiously loud. The noise level was not "energetic" it ruined our evening. Too bad because the food was delicious and the server was as pleasant as could be. I would not recommend this place for dinner on a weekend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunch spotJebettDined on 5/24/2014I've been here a few times for dinner, but not lunch. We enjoyed it. Good choice of salads and appetizers.
- Dinner with friendsNewfanDined on 5/22/2014We were recommended by a work colleague who had your Brunch. Everyone in our party thoroughly enjoyed their meal. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/20/2014This was my second time dining at Rustic Tavern. The good, service and atmosphere were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful and health cuisineHealthyDinerVIPDined on 5/18/2014The ambiance at the Rustic Tavern is very welcoming; it is kid friendly but not dominated by kids. It has a sophisticated feel without being pretension. The service staff have a wonderful blend of friendly and efficient. They have a server who is witty and very knowledgeable about the food; he definitely enhances the experience. But, of course, the food is the most important consideration and it is very good. Not Michelin 3 star but excellent for a nice dinner or lunch. Their soups are always excellent. They have healthy dishes as well as some comfort food. The chicken dish is great and the kale salad is very tasty. The artichoke was cooked perfectly and had a nice sauce. They have a nice wine list. Definitely worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining LocalBiffBDined on 5/16/2014Long time residents of the Lamorinda area, we found ourselves in a dining rut, always going to the same places but wanted something local, fun, relaxed, reasonably priced and with a full bar. A web search came up with the Rustic Tavern so we tried it on Friday night and loved it. We will definitely be back and recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch Outstanding - Dinner OaySunnySandyVIPDined on 5/16/2014We love this restaurant for lunch. The menu and food are perfect. We had lunch several times here before we decided to go for dinner. Dinner was disappointing. The choices are limited - had hard time selecting something to eat and the food was okay to good but not as excellent as our lunch choices. We will return time and time again but just for lunch.Special Features:
- Lovely spot; serious foodkitmomDined on 5/15/2014I was really happy with my dinner experience - friendly, engaging people and classy style. The food was wonderful, from a loaded paella special to a cheesecake parfait. It has quickly become a wonderful bright light in the Lafayette dining landscape! I would gladly return to try lunch.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/15/2014This was our first time at the Rustic Tavern. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. We had a reservation for outside but were told it wasn't available when we arrived. Disappointed but we did get a nice table for two in the corner. Very noisy inside and noticeable. But again, we went there for the food and we were NOT disappointed. This is a very, very good restaurant.Special Features: