1967 N Halsted St.
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rustichousechicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 929-3227
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jon Keeley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Armitage
- Public Transit: #8 Halsted Bus stops right in front of the restaurant at the corner of Halsted & Armitage. 5 minute walk East on Armitage from Brown Line Armitage stop. 10 minute walk from either Fullerton or North/Clybourn Red Line stops.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking $12 Tuesday - Saturday. Street Parking on Halsted and Armitage.
A word from Rustic House
Chandeliers casting low light and a brick fireplace set the mood at Rustic House on Halsted Street in Lincoln Park. This Midwestern-inspired restaurant is located just down the street from its sister restaurant, Gemini Bistro, and centers around a 1920's Rotisol French-imported rotisserie oven. Executive Chef Jon Keeley works with the highest quality cuts of meat, poultry and fish to prepare dishes that are both elevated and approachable. Executive Pastry Chef John Larson focuses on delicate desserts and pastries that reflect the chic ambiance of Rustic House. Rustic's two private dining spaces can accommodate groups of up to 36 seated guests or 40 for a cocktail reception.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rustic House reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (69)fit for foodies (52)romantic (46)special occasion (36)notable wine list (18)good for groups (11)hot spot (9)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Wont' go backdisappointedDined on 11/22/2014Too salty. No flavor. Too loud. Too expensive for bad food. Won't be back. Won't recommend.
- IrvsDined on 11/20/2014The Wait Staff and overall service was very professional. Menu was not overpowering and it was prepared just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above expectationsLovetoEatDined on 11/8/2014Although we had heard wonderful things about Rustic House, it far exceeded our expectations. The service was remarkable - very attentive without being intrusive. The swordfish chop was so amazing it melted in your mouth, and the rotisserie prime rib was the best we've ever had. Five of us split two desserts and even that was more than we could finish. A very quaint place to spend an evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wonderful food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/7/2014This place far exceeds the usual neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Great food, great waitressLPdinerVIPDined on 11/1/2014The strip steak was perfectly prepared, the hot crab dip was awesome and the brown butter cake was to die for. The restaurant is far better than its counterpart Gemini Bistro, (which is a very good restaurant) but Rustic House outshinesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Entries, nice atmosphereFreddieDined on 11/1/2014We had an early dinner (5pm) on a Saturday night. We were the second table. Service was friendly and effective and the food was excellent. My wife really enjoyed her Apple Cider Martini as I equally enjoyed my glass of Malbec. For dinner my rotisserie prime rib was delicious, if not a little salty. My wife had the Swordfish Chop which is a quite unique cut of swordfish, very well prepared. Dishes were ala carte, so we added the Potatos Gratin, which we enjoyed as well. Unfortunately, nothing on the dessert menu tickled our fancy.Special Features:
- Best Chicken Pot Pie in ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/24/2014Such a cozy neighborhood spot. Especially romantic when they've got the fire lit throughout the winter. I love to eat at the bar and love it that the bartender remembers my drink. Caesar salad, perfect. Chicken Pot Pie, best in Chicago - puff pastry to die for. Green Beans Almondine, too tart - maybe more olive oil and less vinegar next time Chef.Special Features:
- Well Kept SecretArizonaTimVIPDined on 10/22/2014Frequently, we check Open Table for same day dining reservations and will typically find a reasonable reservation time available at Rustic House, which is amazing considering the quality of the food and the overall dining experience. It is apparently a very well kept secret! The wood grilled Octopus followed by the bone-in Swordfish Chop is to die for... And, their side known as Sweet Corn Brulee is a very unique dish that is sweet enough to satisfy even your urge for dessert. Give them a try!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Nice atmosphere. Came highly recommended. We really enjoy Gemini Bistro. New waiter, Jason, very nice. My steak, although good, was overdone (med/well instead of med rare). Jason offered to take back, but we were on tight schedule. Jason did take off bill, which was nice. More dissapointing was our situation with the rewards program. We received $130 bill and were interested in joining the rewards program, which we did not know about. Told we had to sign up before/during meal if we wanted credit for this meal. What???? Are they new to this rewards thing? Not a huge deal, but easy way for restaurant to gain customer service points in competitive market, especially after our less than ideal dining experience. PLEASE SHARE WITH RESTAURANT
- Always AwesomeWinedudeVIPDined on 10/18/2014We took some friends and they loved the place. They both devoured the Spinach salad and the Swordfish Chop. My NY Strip was excellent. My wife's rotisserie chicken was a little dry, however. My only critique is that I have noticed that the salad portions are getting smaller. For $10 to $12 for a salad there is no reason to be stingy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AnniversaryLJAnnDined on 10/18/2014We came here to celebrate 10 years together and could not have asked for a better experience. The food was excellent but our server made sure that our celebration was special. I'd love to say you should be able to get that any restaurant but that isn't always the case.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and missNewmn22Dined on 10/18/2014Dut fat almonds were great but the scallops were terrible.
- Like an old friend!MareDined on 10/14/2014There's a buzz of good chatter when you open the door. The smell of yummy food is the next sensation. Smiles and greetings from the owner and wait staff follow. Maybe a drink at the cute bar; possibly appetizers immediately at your table. Delicious dinner and dessert are a certainty. Charming, cheerful, a "go to" restaurant that feels welcoming like an old friend and deeeelicious.Special Features:
- A miss on this chilly fall night.NameVIPDined on 10/11/2014This was my fourth and last visit. While I like the layout and interior design of the space, I find the food (average) and the service (below average) challenging. The maitre d on this visit seated individuals ahead of me even though I was sitting at the bar AND my reservation was ahead of those she seated. But, something similar happened on a previous visit so not completely surprised. The Brussels sprouts were undercooked and the signature chicken pot pie looks GREAT, but has no flavor. It's completely devoid of any discernible tastes. The bread was good. :-) When a dining experience starts rocky, recovery is always a challenge. The primary waitperson was fine, but after the maitre d experience, I wasn't feeling sociable.
- Great meal, cute restaurantMbemDined on 10/11/2014Everyone loved the meal they ordered and there were more things we would have wanted to try. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Dinner!SaraDined on 10/11/2014We had a great time at Rustic House. Wonderful food, great service, and lovely place on Halstead.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014I was having the prefix menu with two of my sisters, my mom and a long time friend. Everything about this was fabulous! Our server was perfect - food was delicious and the restaurant atmosphere was beautiful. Perfect choice!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticChrisDined on 9/26/2014I recently dined at Rustic House and had a fantastic experience. The resturant is small and intimate. The decor is perfect for fall and the food is excellent. It is a bit overpriced for the portion size but the quality of the food makes up for this slight negative. Highly recommended, especially in the autumn.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night at Rustic HouseLovetoeatoutonOpenTableDined on 9/19/2014Friday night at 6:30pm. It is a few blocks from the Armitage stop on the Brown line. House was 3/4 full. It was vibrant, but could easily hold a conversation without yelling. The host greeted us enthusiastically and seated us immediately. Jimmie our waiter was attentive and made great recommendations. The Orange Mule cocktail was a perfect start. We were just 2, but we had 3 appetizers: the steamed mussels, gnocchis and octopus. All wonderful but especially the octopus. Ask for more bread to dip into the steamed mussels jus. I had a scallop special. Perfectly cooked and served with apples. My friend had the Duck L'orange and we each shared forkfuls as we could not get enough. Key Lime and banana cream pie-exquisite. Go here. We will be backSpecial Features:
- All around wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/13/2014This place is so cozy and charming and the food was amazing! We had the salmon and pork chops and the spinach salad which was to die for! The service was impeccable! Knowledgable server and everyone was so friendly! I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treats you like a kingJimmyGDined on 9/13/2014My fiance and I went to Rustic House to celebrate our engagement. We both love farm-to-table style restaurants and found this as an upscale version with incredible food. I went with one of their signature rotisserie options that I would give 5/5 stars! My fiance does not eat meat and there were a plethora of options for her too. I highly recommend the gnocchi as an appetizier. I expect that Rustic House might quickly become one of "our places"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the roughOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I were celebrating a belated anniversary. Everything was wonderful. This is a very awesome setting with lots of energy and great food optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great farm-to-tableJhayDined on 9/11/2014Delicious fresh produce, unique twist on classic American dishes. Outstanding service from all points of contact, great wine list and specialty cocktails. Highly recommend and of their rotisserie items.Special Features:
- Everything great, but the foodunpaidcritic2Dined on 9/5/2014An unassuming on outside, great street locale. Ambiance is great, cute, absorbs sounds so you don't "feel" the other tables. Service was outstanding, polite, quick not too overbearing. The food? Oh, well. I had the Rotisserie Chicken and after peeling off the skin the meat was dry and rather dull. Mashed potatoes creamy but tasteless. Banana Cream Pie good only because of the toasted coconut topping. My dinner partners had the chicken pot pie which was delicious but a huge portion and scallops which was a tiny portion and rather dull. Ugly slimy brussel sprouts the kind that made you hate them many years ago. With so many other food options in Chicago, why bother? Wine by the glass was only one per wine type, lots of bottle choices.Special Features:
- MediocreAllieVIPDined on 8/31/2014This place came to me recommended. It wasn't that the food was bad or we had a bad experience, it was just very overpriced for what it was. Definitely not running back here.Special Features:
- perfect for after theatermrswifeDined on 8/31/2014i was looking for a farm to table restaurant on north halsted for after theater and came across rustic house. the food was very good, the portions were ample and the peach tart for dessert was heavenly. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Keep Coming BackFoodventurousVIPDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I love this place - great for a date, feels like "home" - the staff are always so friendly and always remember us and welcome us back. Gnocchi, octopus, rotisserie, swordfish - our favorites! We always recommend Rustic House when our friends ask us for someplace to dine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/28/2014HAVE been many times and they continue to impress!Special Features:
- Disappointing Birthday DinnermiscdinerDined on 8/23/2014The space felt cramped, & our table was sticky. Wiping down didn't fix it. The apps were lack-luster: tomato salad was ok, the mussels were also just ok (we had one that didn't open that was still served to us). The tuna entree had a bad texture: the spice "crust" felt more like a dry rub with no crispness, and it was dry. The scallops had sand in them. They overcharged us for the wine we ordered, which was awkward. Ran out of bread at 8pm on Sat. & had to bake more (came after we paid?) Waiter told us we "had to pick a dessert" for my bday, but wasn't clear if comped or forceful sales pitch (also awkward). He was uncomfortably casual and inattentive. Overpriced & underwhelming. We left hungry. We won't be back.
- Great food, a bit noisylemass18VIPDined on 8/23/2014My only real issue with Rustic House was the noise level, which we found rather more than we like. But the food was great. My husband and I shared the duck and salmon entrees and we loved both of them. They also split-plated our shared appetizer, which was appreciated.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic House rules!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Went to RH before seeing Million Dollar Quartet and I have to say my dining experience could not have been better! Loved the decor, the waitstaff and hostess were very friendly and attentive. After seeing what looked like some sort of pork chop being delivered to a table next to us, I asked our waiter what is that!?! He kindly described that it was their Swordfish Chop and it was the best thing on the menu but order quick because they only have 8 or 9 a night. I ordered it and I have to say it was one of the top 3 things I've ever eaten! Will def be back!Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Our dinner was pleasant and the service was Excellant but the food was average. There are better options
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014Food was amazing across the board. Would HIGHLY recommend!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/15/2014Took my parents here for an early dinner. Everything we ordered was awesome. We had the flank steak, pork chop and chicken for our entrees. All cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatWinedudeVIPDined on 8/14/2014Just as always...great food, friendly service, good wine list, in a convenient location in Lincoln Park. Who could ask for more!!! Try the rotisserie chicken, the swordfish chop, or the NY Steak. All terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pollyannaDined on 8/6/2014Enjoyed an early dinner before going to Apollo Theatre. Small restaurant with European feel and absolutely delicious dinner. The roasted chicken and pot pie were fantastic, and our waitress and the bartender were so fun and attentive. Drinks and wine...great experience and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PappadocjrVIPDined on 8/3/2014Significantly over salted. Both diners signicantly thirsty for rest of evening
- ExcellentChicagoFavoritesDined on 8/2/2014I took my parents to Rustic House during their visit -- they're foodies and they loved the place. Everything was superb. The lamb had an amazing sauce that included a touch of wasabi, the salmon was perfectly cooked and there was a seafood couscous dish that was fantastic as well. We split the trio of creme brulee as well -- loved the chocolate and vanilla, but the almond was just a touch too rich for us, otherwise everything was great. The wine list is impressive too.Special Features:
- ForgettableAmberVIPDined on 8/1/2014The rotisserie is the house specialty but the organic chicken we ordered wasn't very juicy. Nothing on the menu here is one of a kind and I felt like they fell short on execution with items like poached egg and spinach salad, wood-grilled octopus and the chicken. The garlic mashed potatoes were the highlight of the meal. Service is pretty nice and the space is cozy. I don't think I'd ever come back since every dish I could get a better version of elsewhere.Special Features:
- The following 597 reviews are from the Rustic House reviews archive.
- One of Our FavesWinedudeVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great food, service, and wine list. Awesome rotisserie chicken, great steak and swordfish. Tremendous spinach salad. Always friendly service. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.