Rustic Canyon Wine Bar
1119 Wilshire Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Rustic Canyon Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rusticcanyonwinebar.com/
- Phone: (310) 393-7050
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation: Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday & Saturday 5:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Fox
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Rustic Canyon can be rented out for special events and gatherings.
- Private Party Contact: Anastasia Smith 3103937050
A word from Rustic Canyon Wine Bar
Rustic Canyon Wine Bar and Seasonal Kitchen is a neighborhood restaurant and wine bar located in Santa Monica. The regularly changing menu consists of Farmers' Market-inspired dishes along with a unique selection of boutique wineries from around the world. Rustic Canyon offers twenty options by the glass that rotate on a regular basis and an expanding list of small production offerings by the bottle. Every time you visit there will be something new to try!Continued
(For party reservations larger than 5 people please contact the restaurant directly)
(For party reservations larger than 5 people please contact the restaurant directly)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Rustic Canyon Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Rustic Canyon Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (86)neighborhood gem (46)special occasion (40)notable wine list (34)hot spot (29)romantic (16)good for groups (10)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (7)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Great foodWeekendawayDined on 11/15/2014Cons: Wine took forever to be served (this was at the bar before we even were seated). Air conditioning unit was blowing down on us the entire dinner. Chicken main dish came out semi warm, carrots were cold. Had to send back. Pros: green bean salad was phenomenal, so was the focaccia with burrata. The chicken was very flavorful and worth sending back to have the kitchen remake. Amazing dish! The clams with hominy was perfect. Loved the poblano peppers and tortilla strips with radishes. Overall the food was great. I think they would really use another server or two to pick up the wait times between drinks or ordering. We will be back though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo !!MoogzzDined on 11/10/2014Extraordinary menu and food.....Amazing combinations and presentation...I'll go back today and tomorow.Special Features:
- Food and service poorChenelleDined on 11/10/2014Menu change from last year drastic. Server disinterested. Food poor. Stopped eating. Server never noticed
- Grreatletterman95Dined on 11/9/2014Small plates were the best part (not that the rib-eye steak with fried sun chokes wasn't superb (especially the sun chokes)). We got the pozole, some kind of burrata dish with... I want to say polenta fritters? Whatever they were, every bite was a gem, with so many different flavors that stood out individually yet blended seemlessly. And we got all 3 desserts to split-- apple pie (galette?), a chocolate cake with honey comb crunch (the best thing we had that night. period.), and a rich, decadent cheescake. I couldn't have imagined not ordering any of these. Great meat options, but even as a meat lover, I have to say the veggie components are what seem to shine (and that's saying a lot).Special Features:
- Trendy but why?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2014Because of an evening play nearby got there at the opening time, at 5:30. We got the worst seat right at the kitchen and bussing station; why? It claims to be a wine bar but only had blended wines by the glass ($14) - not a single Merlot; why? The food was expensive and nothing to write home about. The place filled up in a half our and I'm still wondering why a place becomes trendy.
- Amazing foodZeeManVIPDined on 11/2/2014The only bad things I can say is this great food deserves even better decor and I wanted larger portions to share which is the best way to taste this great food.Special Features:
- Sunday dinnerWinedinnerVIPDined on 11/2/2014Great small plates for sharing. The desserts were amazing. Good wine list but high markups for the bottles, I would expect better pricing for a wine bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seasonal selection!Trac54Dined on 10/30/2014We split Chicken, Kale, Focaccia, Pork Belly, Clams and squid. Our dessert was the s'more cake and two different ice creams! Overall I did leave hungry but the food we received was fantastic! You could have an amazing meal for sure, you just need to be willing to pay the price :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Followed Jeremy Fox to this restuarant from Napa. The food was so worth it! Food was absolutely fabulous. Food runners and bussers were amazing. Servers left something to be desired.Special Features:
- Rustic CanyonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Was a great restaurant to celebrate my daughters birthday! The food was superb and the service was excellent! Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodPortiaRDined on 10/18/2014We were in Santa Monica for a weekend meeting and found Rustic Canyon on a "best of" list. It certainly deserved the top position. The food is extraordinary. Delicate flavors. Fresh. Clever. But not trying hard. Loved everything we tried. It is very noisy. But we asked for a table outside and the staff was understanding and accommodating. A perfect visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014This dinner was just so amazing and such a special treat for my family, especially my food-loving daughter, Zoë. The chef, Jeremy Fox, was amazing and actually came out to check on my daughter and see that she was enjoying her birthday dinner. Such a great experience.Special Features:
- Riding on ReputationOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/4/2014Clam Pozole was outstanding but $16 for a cup of soup was over the top. Beet salad was a joke -- a small handful of beets that was undistinguished. Pear upside down made me yearn for my mother's version. I have wanted to try this restaurant for a long time, but won 't be going backSpecial Features:
- Nothing specialMediterraneanDietDined on 9/25/2014Food was ok, but not outstanding. Wine list ok. The lack of good coffee machine was disappointing.Special Features:
- Worst birthday experienceLAfoodloverVIPDined on 9/21/2014We had such a terrible customer service experience with Kathryn the manager that I am motivated to post about it. We were served an inedible piece of prime rib (no meat—just fat) which we had to send back and waited ages to get a replacement. After the meal, when I tried to speak to her about our concerns, her handling of the situation was so condescending and offensive—particularly when she accused us of only seeking a “freebie”—that my friend and I were appalled. I hear that Kathryn is a great sommelier but her aggressive handling of an otherwise minor gaffe during a special birthday dinner motivated us to leave before dessert. While the replacement branzino was delicious (although overcooked), the service ruined the experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014We've been going to Rustic Canyon since they first opened their doors. Even though it's a different chef now, the food has always been stellar. And the service, like all of the owners' other establishments, is always the best! Great training is evident and immaculate execution. And the food is so unique, each creation from the other, and just...superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- adventursome diningtheaterloversDined on 9/20/2014we have eaten here twice in the last couple of weeks on our way to events at the Broad stage and both times found the food to be of excellent quality and interestingly prepared. Service was good and they accommodated our need to be at the theater by 5:30. We look forward to eating there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousTns00Dined on 9/12/2014The best meal I have had in. While. The salads and vegetables were amazingly fresh and flavorful. Each item was masterfully done. Portions are not large but there are great opportunities to share and sample. Desserts were terrific, I are the flourless chocolate cake very slowly to savor each bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemfoodloverVIPDined on 9/11/2014You cannot go wrong with anything on this menu. Everything is fresh and amazing. I could eat it every nightSpecial Features:
- Bring a microscope--small portions!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2014We have generally liked Rustic Canyon, and have gone there frequently. We don't mind paying for good food and appreciate the service. I don't know if it is just my imagination, but the portion sizes struck me as ridiculous this last visit. For example, the tomato salad plate had what appeared to be about three cherry tomato cut in half. It was tasty, but presented about half a bite for each of our party of four. The same was true of the fingerling potatoes. On the taste side, please decrease the salt. The diners can always add it at the table if they wish. But, you can't take it away.
- Menu Change Not For the BetterMillernptVIPDined on 9/5/2014Last time I dined at Rustic Canyon, the food was divine. It was a mix of inventive, farmer's market fresh ingredients, put together in scrumptious ways. This time, the menu has changed. New chef? It's not too weird. Strange combinations of food and ingredients fill the menu, and there's nothing left for the less adventurous eater. We tried the grilled fig salad which was good, but had no "salad" part. The egg dish was way too spicy and felt like a breakfast scramble from a latin food truck. Then only dish I really enjoyed was the baguette....hard to mess that one up. Lastly, the temperature in the room was sub-zero. They had on enough air conditioning for all of Arizona in the summer.Special Features:
- StephDined on 9/3/2014Great food. Knowledgeable servers that let you take your time. Comfortable ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!SallyDined on 8/31/2014We were in Santa Monica for a one night get away. We felt fortunate that we found Rustic Canyon Wine Bar, it was everything we wanted. Great and interesting food, wonderful wine list and handcrafted cocktails. I would recommend this restaurant and would come back again and again!Special Features:
- Great foodJillDined on 8/31/2014...service was a bit scattershot, and we needed to flag down a waiter for bar service (ironic for a wine bar), but the food made up for it. Fantastic.Special Features:
- Will return for sureibcookinDined on 8/25/2014The food is most creative and delicious. I loved so many things about it. Although $6 for bread service is a bit steep. The chef is most in touch with flavor and presentation. The clam posole is incredible as is the omelet with gribines - only the gribines should also be crisped and sprinkled on top for contrast. I will tell my friends this is a great place. I am chef and owner of a full service catering company.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed it!EveLinLADined on 8/19/2014We celebrated our anniversary and they made an effort to recognize it - which was something we didn't expect. Overall, the food was delicious. We tried baby lettuce, june lady peach, pork belly, ricotta dumplings, and clam pozole. All of them had delicate and layered flavors - each bite was wonderful. The kick and punch at the end was the pozole! We also tried the ice box cake - WOW.Special Features:
- RUSTIC CANYON DESERVES 5 STARSlanativeVIPDined on 8/17/2014We dined at Rustic Canyon on Sunday night and it would be hard to overstate what a wonderful experience it was. From the moment we stepped in the door, it felt as if we were joining family for dinner. The rustic atmosphere is understated so the focus is on the people and the decidedly divine creations that come from the kitchen. Our server was patient and friendly, describing each dish and how much it would make sense to order for the table. As the concept is for the plates to be shared and we were a party of three, we ordered four small plates and two large. Every one of the creations that met our lips was a revelation of flavors. A master chef + incredible ingredients in their prime = revelatory taste treats. Don't miss dessert!Special Features:
- Small PlatesClarissaDined on 8/17/2014We all loved the small plates. We ordered four different ones and especially liked the pork belly and posole. Loved our waitress. She didn't pretend to know about the wines we asked about, but she was willing to find out. No one knows everything and she was willing to admit she didn't know.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Absolutely love everything about Rustic Canyon. One of my favorite spots in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!HMBVNCVIPDined on 8/13/2014Rustic Canyon was recommended by a seat mate on a flight from Denver to Tampa, so I was not prepared for just how GOOD it was!!! My husband and I sampled LOTS of the small plates and every single one was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent food superb chefLove2eatVIPDined on 8/11/2014Excellent food! Superb chef! Perfect city for Jeremy Fox to settle down in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyJhudgshDined on 8/8/2014Very interesting creations that always exceed expectations compared to the simple menu descriptions. Great combinations of flavored & textures. Must try the pezole if it's on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful placeCoraDined on 8/7/2014If I can, I would like to give them six stars! The food and service were just wonderful! The pork belly was truly the highlight! It was not greasy at all and had both crispy and juicy texture, very awesome. Other plates we ordered are also great, very creative, fresh and flavourful. The chocolate carob ice box cake came with a candle and the exact words I demanded for my husband's Birthday. The main waitress and other assistants were so incredibly friendly and caring in general.Special Features:
- We used to love this placeMekiVIPDined on 8/4/2014The ribeye was $40 however the quality of the meet was not even worth two dollars. Was terrible . The chicken and desserts were good
- The following 798 reviews are from the Rustic Canyon Wine Bar reviews archive.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/29/2014We arrived 30 mins early, we were told our table wasn't ready and shown to the bar. I could see over the host's shoulder that we were assigned to a particular table and it was ready. They made us wait almost 30 mins before seating us despite the table being ready the whole time. My wife started with the beet salad - it was so so, I think I could have recreated it pretty accurately at home. I had the soft shall crab with pork belly. The pork belly was small and lacked flavour - the soft shell crab was overwhelmed by the batter. All in all, pretty average. My wife's chicken omelette was pretty good, but then again it was an omelette - hard to get wrong. Didn't bother with desert, they looked pretty unimpressive.
- Lost its mojolobstarVIPDined on 7/29/2014This used to be a great restaurant, but it has lost its mojo. The food is now mediocre. But the big shock for us in our recent visit was the padding of the bill. We were charged $55 for a $40 dollar half-bottle of wine. When we questioned it and asked how this overcharge could have happened, the response was not believable. This used to be one of our favorite restaurants. It has lost its quality, and now its integrity.
- Good, not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014High expectations for what turned out to be an average experience. Ordered six different dishes. Food was good but, with the exception of the pezole, nothing stood out. The restaurant is over-priced and over-hyped. The wine list is outstanding.Special Features:
- love the new chefavidfoodieDined on 7/7/2014Flavor profiles have been great. The smaller plates are so much better than the bigger plates.Special Features:
- rustictarlaVIPDined on 7/6/2014Menu changes often so there are always new things to try - sound good and some wonderful!!! desserts are generally outstanding!!!Special Features:
- Simply OutstandingSDR1VIPDined on 7/6/2014What an absolute pleasure of a restaurant. Casual atmosphere with an exciting and unique menu. Incredibly clever combinations reflecting a creative hand with the freshest ingredients. The salads were terrific. And the servers were cinredibly knowledgeable about the food, extensive wine list and the beer menu. We will return everty time we visit LA!Special Features: