Rustic Canyon Wine Bar
1119 Wilshire Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Rustic Canyon Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rusticcanyonwinebar.com/
- Phone: 3103937050
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation: Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday & Saturday 5:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Fox
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Rustic Canyon can be rented out for special events and gatherings.
- Private Party Contact: Anastasia Smith 3103937050
A word from Rustic Canyon Wine Bar
Rustic Canyon Wine Bar and Seasonal Kitchen is a neighborhood restaurant and wine bar located in Santa Monica. The regularly changing menu consists of Farmers' Market-inspired dishes along with a unique selection of boutique wineries from around the world. Rustic Canyon offers twenty options by the glass that rotate on a regular basis and an expanding list of small production offerings by the bottle. Every time you visit there will be something new to try!Continued
(For party reservations larger than 5 people please contact the restaurant directly)
(For party reservations larger than 5 people please contact the restaurant directly)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Rustic Canyon Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Rustic Canyon Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (84)neighborhood gem (51)notable wine list (37)special occasion (35)hot spot (22)romantic (17)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014This dinner was just so amazing and such a special treat for my family, especially my food-loving daughter, Zoë. The chef, Jeremy Fox, was amazing and actually came out to check on my daughter and see that she was enjoying her birthday dinner. Such a great experience.Special Features:
- Riding on ReputationOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/4/2014Clam Pozole was outstanding but $16 for a cup of soup was over the top. Beet salad was a joke -- a small handful of beets that was undistinguished. Pear upside down made me yearn for my mother's version. I have wanted to try this restaurant for a long time, but won 't be going backSpecial Features:
- Nothing specialMediterraneanDietDined on 9/25/2014Food was ok, but not outstanding. Wine list ok. The lack of good coffee machine was disappointing.Special Features:
- Worst birthday experienceLAfoodloverVIPDined on 9/21/2014We had such a terrible customer service experience with Kathryn the manager that I am motivated to post about it. We were served an inedible piece of prime rib (no meat—just fat) which we had to send back and waited ages to get a replacement. After the meal, when I tried to speak to her about our concerns, her handling of the situation was so condescending and offensive—particularly when she accused us of only seeking a “freebie”—that my friend and I were appalled. I hear that Kathryn is a great sommelier but her aggressive handling of an otherwise minor gaffe during a special birthday dinner motivated us to leave before dessert. While the replacement branzino was delicious (although overcooked), the service ruined the experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014We've been going to Rustic Canyon since they first opened their doors. Even though it's a different chef now, the food has always been stellar. And the service, like all of the owners' other establishments, is always the best! Great training is evident and immaculate execution. And the food is so unique, each creation from the other, and just...superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- adventursome diningtheaterloversDined on 9/20/2014we have eaten here twice in the last couple of weeks on our way to events at the Broad stage and both times found the food to be of excellent quality and interestingly prepared. Service was good and they accommodated our need to be at the theater by 5:30. We look forward to eating there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousTns00Dined on 9/12/2014The best meal I have had in. While. The salads and vegetables were amazingly fresh and flavorful. Each item was masterfully done. Portions are not large but there are great opportunities to share and sample. Desserts were terrific, I are the flourless chocolate cake very slowly to savor each bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemfoodloverVIPDined on 9/11/2014You cannot go wrong with anything on this menu. Everything is fresh and amazing. I could eat it every nightSpecial Features:
- Bring a microscope--small portions!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2014We have generally liked Rustic Canyon, and have gone there frequently. We don't mind paying for good food and appreciate the service. I don't know if it is just my imagination, but the portion sizes struck me as ridiculous this last visit. For example, the tomato salad plate had what appeared to be about three cherry tomato cut in half. It was tasty, but presented about half a bite for each of our party of four. The same was true of the fingerling potatoes. On the taste side, please decrease the salt. The diners can always add it at the table if they wish. But, you can't take it away.
- Menu Change Not For the BetterMillernptVIPDined on 9/5/2014Last time I dined at Rustic Canyon, the food was divine. It was a mix of inventive, farmer's market fresh ingredients, put together in scrumptious ways. This time, the menu has changed. New chef? It's not too weird. Strange combinations of food and ingredients fill the menu, and there's nothing left for the less adventurous eater. We tried the grilled fig salad which was good, but had no "salad" part. The egg dish was way too spicy and felt like a breakfast scramble from a latin food truck. Then only dish I really enjoyed was the baguette....hard to mess that one up. Lastly, the temperature in the room was sub-zero. They had on enough air conditioning for all of Arizona in the summer.Special Features:
- StephDined on 9/3/2014Great food. Knowledgeable servers that let you take your time. Comfortable ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!SallyDined on 8/31/2014We were in Santa Monica for a one night get away. We felt fortunate that we found Rustic Canyon Wine Bar, it was everything we wanted. Great and interesting food, wonderful wine list and handcrafted cocktails. I would recommend this restaurant and would come back again and again!Special Features:
- Great foodJillDined on 8/31/2014...service was a bit scattershot, and we needed to flag down a waiter for bar service (ironic for a wine bar), but the food made up for it. Fantastic.Special Features:
- Will return for sureibcookinDined on 8/25/2014The food is most creative and delicious. I loved so many things about it. Although $6 for bread service is a bit steep. The chef is most in touch with flavor and presentation. The clam posole is incredible as is the omelet with gribines - only the gribines should also be crisped and sprinkled on top for contrast. I will tell my friends this is a great place. I am chef and owner of a full service catering company.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed it!EveLinLADined on 8/19/2014We celebrated our anniversary and they made an effort to recognize it - which was something we didn't expect. Overall, the food was delicious. We tried baby lettuce, june lady peach, pork belly, ricotta dumplings, and clam pozole. All of them had delicate and layered flavors - each bite was wonderful. The kick and punch at the end was the pozole! We also tried the ice box cake - WOW.Special Features:
- RUSTIC CANYON DESERVES 5 STARSlanativeVIPDined on 8/17/2014We dined at Rustic Canyon on Sunday night and it would be hard to overstate what a wonderful experience it was. From the moment we stepped in the door, it felt as if we were joining family for dinner. The rustic atmosphere is understated so the focus is on the people and the decidedly divine creations that come from the kitchen. Our server was patient and friendly, describing each dish and how much it would make sense to order for the table. As the concept is for the plates to be shared and we were a party of three, we ordered four small plates and two large. Every one of the creations that met our lips was a revelation of flavors. A master chef + incredible ingredients in their prime = revelatory taste treats. Don't miss dessert!Special Features:
- Small PlatesClarissaDined on 8/17/2014We all loved the small plates. We ordered four different ones and especially liked the pork belly and posole. Loved our waitress. She didn't pretend to know about the wines we asked about, but she was willing to find out. No one knows everything and she was willing to admit she didn't know.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Absolutely love everything about Rustic Canyon. One of my favorite spots in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!HMBVNCVIPDined on 8/13/2014Rustic Canyon was recommended by a seat mate on a flight from Denver to Tampa, so I was not prepared for just how GOOD it was!!! My husband and I sampled LOTS of the small plates and every single one was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent food superb chefLove2eatVIPDined on 8/11/2014Excellent food! Superb chef! Perfect city for Jeremy Fox to settle down in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyJhudgshDined on 8/8/2014Very interesting creations that always exceed expectations compared to the simple menu descriptions. Great combinations of flavored & textures. Must try the pezole if it's on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We used to love this placeMekiDined on 8/4/2014The ribeye was $40 however the quality of the meet was not even worth two dollars. Was terrible . The chicken and desserts were good
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/29/2014We arrived 30 mins early, we were told our table wasn't ready and shown to the bar. I could see over the host's shoulder that we were assigned to a particular table and it was ready. They made us wait almost 30 mins before seating us despite the table being ready the whole time. My wife started with the beet salad - it was so so, I think I could have recreated it pretty accurately at home. I had the soft shall crab with pork belly. The pork belly was small and lacked flavour - the soft shell crab was overwhelmed by the batter. All in all, pretty average. My wife's chicken omelette was pretty good, but then again it was an omelette - hard to get wrong. Didn't bother with desert, they looked pretty unimpressive.
- Lost its mojolobstarVIPDined on 7/29/2014This used to be a great restaurant, but it has lost its mojo. The food is now mediocre. But the big shock for us in our recent visit was the padding of the bill. We were charged $55 for a $40 dollar half-bottle of wine. When we questioned it and asked how this overcharge could have happened, the response was not believable. This used to be one of our favorite restaurants. It has lost its quality, and now its integrity.
- Good, not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014High expectations for what turned out to be an average experience. Ordered six different dishes. Food was good but, with the exception of the pezole, nothing stood out. The restaurant is over-priced and over-hyped. The wine list is outstanding.Special Features:
- love the new chefavidfoodieDined on 7/7/2014Flavor profiles have been great. The smaller plates are so much better than the bigger plates.Special Features:
- rustictarlaVIPDined on 7/6/2014Menu changes often so there are always new things to try - sound good and some wonderful!!! desserts are generally outstanding!!!Special Features:
- Simply OutstandingSDR1VIPDined on 7/6/2014What an absolute pleasure of a restaurant. Casual atmosphere with an exciting and unique menu. Incredibly clever combinations reflecting a creative hand with the freshest ingredients. The salads were terrific. And the servers were cinredibly knowledgeable about the food, extensive wine list and the beer menu. We will return everty time we visit LA!Special Features:
- Over-rated.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/6/2014Bad food. My fish was way over-cooked. Bad service. Server had a chip on her shoulder. Would not return.
- So so tasty!NiceDined on 7/5/2014Went to town and tried almost everything! The oldfashion I had was amazing and the clam pozole verde was my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014Came in with very high expectations and you surpassed them. Came to California to eat and drink and so far has been the best meal of the trip. Great wine recommendation on a budget and the food was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plate SamplerskaceyDined on 7/3/2014In consultation with our wait person we decided to just order a bunch of small plates so we'd be able to try lots of different stuff. Worked out great and we loved just about everything. The bread and olive oil were perfect too - temperature, texture, taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic Canyon ReviewFoodlustDined on 6/29/2014Had burrata salad, halibut, bread and butter, and everything was delicious- seasonal, and fresh. My type of local fare for sure. Noise level a little high. Demographic slightly stuffy- a little pricey, but food was excellent. I'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- BW3047Dined on 6/24/2014Food was terrific .. hard to hear my daughter trying to talk with me from across the table.
- The following 787 reviews are from the Rustic Canyon Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Innovative foodTastyDined on 6/15/2014The tasty combination of ingredients in every dish we had made for delicious food! Interesting dishes and so good. I'll be back again soon.Special Features:
- Love it! But quieter, please.ChowGirlDined on 6/11/2014I know restaurants like to be noisy these days. But this is my neighborhood hang, and I'd love to be able to hear my friends when we talk. Food and drink are amazing. Service is impeccable (those busboys are more than attentive).Special Features:
- Cut the music; taste the fooddancingalongDined on 6/8/2014Wonderful food, hard to taste because it is so noisy. (There are even studies that show if noise is too loud taste diminishes.) If they would just cut the music it would be ok-but with the loud music and a lot of people it borders on unpleasant. Bring ear plugs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in a noisy environmentYaoguiDined on 6/2/2014I don't think it deserves the accolades by major publications; but I'm willing to try it again at some point. Burrata (excellent): best dish of the evening, fresh and balanced "Persian" cucumbers (ok only) Chicken "nduja" omelette (bad): way too heavy and way too salty. Ricotta gnocchi (bad): muddled flavor and heavy despite the fact the gnocchi was good clam and mussel posole verde (bad): too salty roasted chicken (very good): tender and juicy and good flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsFrenchrunnerVIPDined on 6/2/2014We just had dinner there and the food was outstanding. A couple of things could be worked on, first they have a 2 bottle limit per table for their corkage policy, which is problematic when you have a bigger group. Then, we took our kids and the menu really doesn't have anything that's particularly kid friendly, so they weren't too happy and got restless.Special Features:
- Disappointed, but will try again.RickHDined on 5/30/2014We have been wanting to go to Rustic Canyon for a while now. And perhaps the anticipation and the high rankings on J. Gold's list raised out expectations too high. Then again, perhaps it was just an off day. Idk. The server certainly didn't add positively to the experience. Short, curt and not very inviting. As far as the meal was concerned, we split 3 small plates, the McGrath peas (v good), the Gnocchi (v good) and the Asparagus (good). My girlfriend had the Steak Fritte (v good) and I had the Scallops (mediocre). My scallops were over cooked and rubbery chewy. There were a total of four and I gave up on the third. Other than that, the meal was generally very good. But, certainly not $220.00 good (incl 3 glasses of wine).