Rustic Canyon Wine Bar
1119 Wilshire Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Rustic Canyon Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rusticcanyonwinebar.com/
- Phone: 3103937050
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation: Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday & Saturday 5:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Fox
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Rustic Canyon can be rented out for special events and gatherings.
- Private Party Contact: Anastasia Smith 3103937050
A word from Rustic Canyon Wine Bar
Rustic Canyon Wine Bar and Seasonal Kitchen is a neighborhood restaurant and wine bar located in Santa Monica. The regularly changing menu consists of Farmers' Market-inspired dishes along with a unique selection of boutique wineries from around the world. Rustic Canyon offers twenty options by the glass that rotate on a regular basis and an expanding list of small production offerings by the bottle. Every time you visit there will be something new to try!Continued
(For party reservations larger than 5 people please contact the restaurant directly)
(For party reservations larger than 5 people please contact the restaurant directly)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Rustic Canyon Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Rustic Canyon Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (81)neighborhood gem (51)notable wine list (35)special occasion (34)hot spot (18)romantic (15)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- FabulousTns00Dined on 9/12/2014The best meal I have had in. While. The salads and vegetables were amazingly fresh and flavorful. Each item was masterfully done. Portions are not large but there are great opportunities to share and sample. Desserts were terrific, I are the flourless chocolate cake very slowly to savor each bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring a microscope--small portions!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2014We have generally liked Rustic Canyon, and have gone there frequently. We don't mind paying for good food and appreciate the service. I don't know if it is just my imagination, but the portion sizes struck me as ridiculous this last visit. For example, the tomato salad plate had what appeared to be about three cherry tomato cut in half. It was tasty, but presented about half a bite for each of our party of four. The same was true of the fingerling potatoes. On the taste side, please decrease the salt. The diners can always add it at the table if they wish. But, you can't take it away.
- Menu Change Not For the BetterMillernptVIPDined on 9/5/2014Last time I dined at Rustic Canyon, the food was divine. It was a mix of inventive, farmer's market fresh ingredients, put together in scrumptious ways. This time, the menu has changed. New chef? It's not too weird. Strange combinations of food and ingredients fill the menu, and there's nothing left for the less adventurous eater. We tried the grilled fig salad which was good, but had no "salad" part. The egg dish was way too spicy and felt like a breakfast scramble from a latin food truck. Then only dish I really enjoyed was the baguette....hard to mess that one up. Lastly, the temperature in the room was sub-zero. They had on enough air conditioning for all of Arizona in the summer.Special Features:
- StephDined on 9/3/2014Great food. Knowledgeable servers that let you take your time. Comfortable ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!SallyDined on 8/31/2014We were in Santa Monica for a one night get away. We felt fortunate that we found Rustic Canyon Wine Bar, it was everything we wanted. Great and interesting food, wonderful wine list and handcrafted cocktails. I would recommend this restaurant and would come back again and again!Special Features:
- Great foodJillDined on 8/31/2014...service was a bit scattershot, and we needed to flag down a waiter for bar service (ironic for a wine bar), but the food made up for it. Fantastic.Special Features:
- Will return for sureibcookinDined on 8/25/2014The food is most creative and delicious. I loved so many things about it. Although $6 for bread service is a bit steep. The chef is most in touch with flavor and presentation. The clam posole is incredible as is the omelet with gribines - only the gribines should also be crisped and sprinkled on top for contrast. I will tell my friends this is a great place. I am chef and owner of a full service catering company.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed it!EveLinLADined on 8/19/2014We celebrated our anniversary and they made an effort to recognize it - which was something we didn't expect. Overall, the food was delicious. We tried baby lettuce, june lady peach, pork belly, ricotta dumplings, and clam pozole. All of them had delicate and layered flavors - each bite was wonderful. The kick and punch at the end was the pozole! We also tried the ice box cake - WOW.Special Features:
- RUSTIC CANYON DESERVES 5 STARSlanativeVIPDined on 8/17/2014We dined at Rustic Canyon on Sunday night and it would be hard to overstate what a wonderful experience it was. From the moment we stepped in the door, it felt as if we were joining family for dinner. The rustic atmosphere is understated so the focus is on the people and the decidedly divine creations that come from the kitchen. Our server was patient and friendly, describing each dish and how much it would make sense to order for the table. As the concept is for the plates to be shared and we were a party of three, we ordered four small plates and two large. Every one of the creations that met our lips was a revelation of flavors. A master chef + incredible ingredients in their prime = revelatory taste treats. Don't miss dessert!Special Features:
- Small PlatesClarissaDined on 8/17/2014We all loved the small plates. We ordered four different ones and especially liked the pork belly and posole. Loved our waitress. She didn't pretend to know about the wines we asked about, but she was willing to find out. No one knows everything and she was willing to admit she didn't know.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Absolutely love everything about Rustic Canyon. One of my favorite spots in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!HMBVNCVIPDined on 8/13/2014Rustic Canyon was recommended by a seat mate on a flight from Denver to Tampa, so I was not prepared for just how GOOD it was!!! My husband and I sampled LOTS of the small plates and every single one was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent food superb chefLove2eatVIPDined on 8/11/2014Excellent food! Superb chef! Perfect city for Jeremy Fox to settle down in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyJhudgshDined on 8/8/2014Very interesting creations that always exceed expectations compared to the simple menu descriptions. Great combinations of flavored & textures. Must try the pezole if it's on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We used to love this placeMekiDined on 8/4/2014The ribeye was $40 however the quality of the meet was not even worth two dollars. Was terrible . The chicken and desserts were good
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/29/2014We arrived 30 mins early, we were told our table wasn't ready and shown to the bar. I could see over the host's shoulder that we were assigned to a particular table and it was ready. They made us wait almost 30 mins before seating us despite the table being ready the whole time. My wife started with the beet salad - it was so so, I think I could have recreated it pretty accurately at home. I had the soft shall crab with pork belly. The pork belly was small and lacked flavour - the soft shell crab was overwhelmed by the batter. All in all, pretty average. My wife's chicken omelette was pretty good, but then again it was an omelette - hard to get wrong. Didn't bother with desert, they looked pretty unimpressive.
- Good, not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014High expectations for what turned out to be an average experience. Ordered six different dishes. Food was good but, with the exception of the pezole, nothing stood out. The restaurant is over-priced and over-hyped. The wine list is outstanding.Special Features:
- love the new chefavidfoodieDined on 7/7/2014Flavor profiles have been great. The smaller plates are so much better than the bigger plates.Special Features:
- rustictarlaVIPDined on 7/6/2014Menu changes often so there are always new things to try - sound good and some wonderful!!! desserts are generally outstanding!!!Special Features:
- Simply OutstandingSDR1VIPDined on 7/6/2014What an absolute pleasure of a restaurant. Casual atmosphere with an exciting and unique menu. Incredibly clever combinations reflecting a creative hand with the freshest ingredients. The salads were terrific. And the servers were cinredibly knowledgeable about the food, extensive wine list and the beer menu. We will return everty time we visit LA!Special Features:
- Over-rated.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/6/2014Bad food. My fish was way over-cooked. Bad service. Server had a chip on her shoulder. Would not return.
- So so tasty!NiceDined on 7/5/2014Went to town and tried almost everything! The oldfashion I had was amazing and the clam pozole verde was my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014Came in with very high expectations and you surpassed them. Came to California to eat and drink and so far has been the best meal of the trip. Great wine recommendation on a budget and the food was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plate SamplerskaceyDined on 7/3/2014In consultation with our wait person we decided to just order a bunch of small plates so we'd be able to try lots of different stuff. Worked out great and we loved just about everything. The bread and olive oil were perfect too - temperature, texture, taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic Canyon ReviewFoodlustDined on 6/29/2014Had burrata salad, halibut, bread and butter, and everything was delicious- seasonal, and fresh. My type of local fare for sure. Noise level a little high. Demographic slightly stuffy- a little pricey, but food was excellent. I'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- BW3047Dined on 6/24/2014Food was terrific .. hard to hear my daughter trying to talk with me from across the table.
- Innovative foodTastyDined on 6/15/2014The tasty combination of ingredients in every dish we had made for delicious food! Interesting dishes and so good. I'll be back again soon.Special Features:
- Love it! But quieter, please.ChowGirlDined on 6/11/2014I know restaurants like to be noisy these days. But this is my neighborhood hang, and I'd love to be able to hear my friends when we talk. Food and drink are amazing. Service is impeccable (those busboys are more than attentive).Special Features:
- Cut the music; taste the fooddancingalongDined on 6/8/2014Wonderful food, hard to taste because it is so noisy. (There are even studies that show if noise is too loud taste diminishes.) If they would just cut the music it would be ok-but with the loud music and a lot of people it borders on unpleasant. Bring ear plugs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in a noisy environmentYaoguiDined on 6/2/2014I don't think it deserves the accolades by major publications; but I'm willing to try it again at some point. Burrata (excellent): best dish of the evening, fresh and balanced "Persian" cucumbers (ok only) Chicken "nduja" omelette (bad): way too heavy and way too salty. Ricotta gnocchi (bad): muddled flavor and heavy despite the fact the gnocchi was good clam and mussel posole verde (bad): too salty roasted chicken (very good): tender and juicy and good flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsFrenchrunnerVIPDined on 6/2/2014We just had dinner there and the food was outstanding. A couple of things could be worked on, first they have a 2 bottle limit per table for their corkage policy, which is problematic when you have a bigger group. Then, we took our kids and the menu really doesn't have anything that's particularly kid friendly, so they weren't too happy and got restless.Special Features:
- Disappointed, but will try again.RickHDined on 5/30/2014We have been wanting to go to Rustic Canyon for a while now. And perhaps the anticipation and the high rankings on J. Gold's list raised out expectations too high. Then again, perhaps it was just an off day. Idk. The server certainly didn't add positively to the experience. Short, curt and not very inviting. As far as the meal was concerned, we split 3 small plates, the McGrath peas (v good), the Gnocchi (v good) and the Asparagus (good). My girlfriend had the Steak Fritte (v good) and I had the Scallops (mediocre). My scallops were over cooked and rubbery chewy. There were a total of four and I gave up on the third. Other than that, the meal was generally very good. But, certainly not $220.00 good (incl 3 glasses of wine).
- Yum!samdDined on 5/28/2014fun food combinations! worth the hard to find reservation.Special Features:
- rustictarlaVIPDined on 5/25/2014Great food - always delicious. However, the desserts, though quite tasty, are sometimes rather naked on the plate, i.e my chocolate hazelnut torte would have benefitted from a dollop of whipped cream and a few chocolate shavings or even a mint leaf and some sifted powdered sugar. I'm sure Zoe, the great pastry chef, would prefer to see her desserts a bit more showcased....Special Features:
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/24/2014We had dinner last Saturday and it was quite delicious. The chicken and scallops were perfectly cooked, not too much, perfect balance and taste. The service was friendly and professional. The only drawback was the noise, it became pretty loud and the main dining area is open, so we could barley hear each other chat. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 777 reviews are from the Rustic Canyon Wine Bar reviews archive.
- BelAirVIPDined on 5/9/2014Great location for the Broad Theater two blocks away; the staff kept our curtain time in mind very graciously.
- Great menuAduportVIPDined on 5/5/2014When I first looked at the menu I was like, can I eat this? After the meal I was like wow, what a great menu. Healthy and very tasty. The bottle of Dominus put it over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Santa Monica fresh and localHomecooksmDined on 4/25/2014We had an early reservation, Rustic Canyon can be noisy. I mentioned on my reservation request that we wanted a quiet table since it was our anniversary and not only did we get one of the four or five coveted booths, but they immediately brought us out a glass of prosecco on the house and wished us a happy anniversary! The meal was delicious, fresh, with beautiful farmers market produce, the service was awesome and if not for the woman who inexplicably kept her crying toddler at the table, thus disrupting the whole restaurant, which was not their fault. Such a nice place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seasonal123456789VIPDined on 4/24/2014Can't wait to come back to see what they do with summer produce .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plz improve ambienceBlueMoonVIPDined on 4/19/2014The great food and service at RC are not supported by an interesting, comfortable environment, and the playlist of 70's music doesn't fit either and is played far too loud, for our taste.Special Features: