Russian Tea Room - NYC
150 W 57th Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $50 and over
Russian Tea Room - NYC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.russiantearoomnyc.com/
- Phone: 2125817100x
- Hours of Operation:
High Tea Service: Daily from 2-4:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:45pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:45pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 4:45pm - 11:30pm
Sunday Dinner - 4:45pm - 11:00pm
Breakfast : Monday - Friday 7:00am - 10:00am
Business Express Lunch Prix Fixe $40 pp: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 4:45pm
Pre/Post Prix Fixe $60pp: Daily - 4:45pm - 6:15pm and 10pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marc Taxiera
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We do private and special events of all kinds. Please contact us for information.
- Cross Street: Between 6th and 7th Avenues
- Public Transit: N, Q, R to 57th Street/7th Avenue
F to 57th Street
B, D, E to 7th Avenue/53rd Street
1, 2, A, B, C, D to Columbus Circle
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: A parking garage is available on 56th street behind the restaurant between 6th and 7th Avenues.
A word from Russian Tea Room - NYC
For over eighty-five years, New York's defining cultural moments have taken place at Russian Tea Room. Ever since members of the Russian Imperial Ballet founded the restaurant in 1927, it has been a second home for boldface names and the intellectual elite-an exclusive enclave where actors, writers, politicians, and businessmen planned their next deals and feted their friends' latest Carnegie Hall performances.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContinental
Russian Tea Room - NYC - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Russian Tea Room - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
226 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (137)romantic (103)fit for foodies (67)great for lunch (51)great for brunch (43)neighborhood gem (37)good for groups (30)notable wine list (30)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (7)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very Good...ButMonteDined on 9/1/2014Ambience and food remain excellent. However, I do miss the tradition of a dress code. A number of patrons were dressed for Nathan's and not for such a famous address.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic placegoldfishDined on 9/1/2014i took my mom for her birthday and it was lovely. people were nice and decoration was very unique.Special Features:
- Awesome ambiance. Obscene price.NYCTouristDined on 9/1/2014I came for high tea with my son. Overall, it was a good cultural experience for him. He delighted in the presentation of a tower tray of tiny sandwiches followed by desserts. The dramatic Old World decor made it feel special. Problems: the tea experience is obscenely overpriced for very average food. The unique ambiance alone was not enough to justify the $150 bill (including tip). Also, I ordered a vegetarian tea tray off the menu. The waiter brought me a tower of meat sandwiches. When I sent it back, he returned with the "vegetarian" dish that included a ham sandwich. When I presented my gift certificate, the waiter seemed put off, and told me I could not use it for the tip. I will not return here, although I am glad I got to see it.Special Features:
- Iconic New York Pre-Matinee Brunch!RightFoodFirstDined on 8/31/2014Do not hesitate to splurge in this iconic establishment, it will enrich your New York experience exponentially. Opulent decor with exquisite service, large booths brightly upholstered with red leather provide the ideal privacy and view on the overall action in the room. Caviar selection is excellent and the vodka selection goes beyond your wildest dreams. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieafficianadoDined on 8/29/2014Very expensive but you are paying for the venue not the food. We had the High Tea ($50) and the Royal Tea ($85). The sandwiches seemed to have been refrigerated. The bread was a bit stale. The fillings, except for the strangely flavored dried tomato filling, were very good. The scones were fresh and tasty. There was plenty of food but for the price, there definitely should have been! The waiter started off with a bit of a snobby attitude. Although the waiter guaranteed that my husband's food would be completely nut-free (since he has an anaphylactic reaction to nuts), my husband encountered a nut, probably in the bread, but he was able to spit it out before it became fatal. This put a definite damper on the experience.Special Features:
- Lunch Prix meal dealJDNowDined on 8/18/2014I met my daughter in NYC for a shopping weekend and someone suggested the Tea Room. I booked an early reservation thinking we would have a late morning tea. Unfortunately a full tea service is not available until early afternoon but, there was a delightful lunch prix offering that was perfect. Everything that was served was delicious.Special Features:
- Great food and ambienceisba2007Dined on 8/16/2014The Russian Tea room was a great place to start a date night with my wife. The food was great and the service was prompt. We did not have to wait long for anything we placed orders on. The atmosphere was nice and the different pieces of art and different designs was great as well. I would definitely recommend for a special event with a special someone or family.Special Features:
- Russian Tea RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014From the moment we enter the bar staff was friendly and knowledgeable. The vodka menu was extensive and excellent. Friends of ours were married here years ago but this was our first time. It was elegant yet quaint. We tried the Russian specialties in terms of the menu and found them delicious. The chicken Kiev have may have been a touch overdone but nonetheless we loved it. I will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdated restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014The restaurant was literally empty... on a Friday night... Interesting landmark, but quite outdated.Special Features:
- It was my first time to Russian TeaSueaneDined on 8/15/2014Went here with my friend for restaurant week since I've never been and wouldn't likely go at other times due to the crazy price range. I saw the mediocre reviews from fellow yelpers, but wanted to see for myself. The evening confirmed how overpriced and overrated this place was. For the price they were charging on the menu you would expect Michelin rated quality. I had the grilled salmon and my friend a steak entree and we were both very disappointed. The salmon was dry and lack any real flavor or freshness and the steak was nothing to write home about. I would not be giving this place another chance, especially not at the price point they are charging.Special Features:
- Restaurant week findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014I had not been to the Russian Tea Room in years. The restaurant week menu was great, service excellent and the food delicious. I will definitely go back again. Don't miss seeing the 2nd floor with the crystal bear too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a wonderful time!TreBDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I went for lunch at the Russian Tea Room. It had been a while since I had been, but I am always facinated to see the decor. Services was excellent and the food was tasty. Would do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/15/2014Very distinct decorations including dedicated sugar eggs, old world oil paintings, awesome Russian dolls and other arts. Food was perfectly prepared, service was great. I feel the cooking was heavier than what I used to, meaning more butter and cream. Best cappuccino ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Touristy - with a reputationSummerInCityDined on 8/15/2014I went during restaurant week, so our meal options were limited. The first course contained a standard salad (yawn), blini's (good). We didn't have the borshct. For the main course we had the salmon (nothing special), and the beef (seemed ok). There was a chicken option that we didn't have. Dessert was delicious: the chocolate pyramid. The other choice was cheesecake (didn't have). Other than the dessert, the food was pretty typical. The place was packed and service was terrific. However, it was very touristy. Even has its own extensive gift shop in the basement. Maybe eating off the ala carte menu would be better food but for much more money.
- Bentley 2014Bently2014Dined on 8/15/2014What a great place for lunch. The food and service was excellent and would highly recommend this restaurant to everyone. Going to go back again. Excellent place. When making reservations make sure to reserve a booth.Special Features:
- Amazing Atmospheresa1m0ne11aDined on 8/14/2014If I could afford it I would eat here twice a month!Special Features:
- Delicious meal, pleasant experiencerichardny4meDined on 8/14/2014I have walked by the Russian Tea Room too many times to count, and on a whim I decided to try it for lunch. Well I missed out, since everything about the place exceeded my expectations. The food was prepared creatively - and more importantly tasted delicious. The ambience was lively and the service was friendly without being intrusive. I look forward to returning for breakfast and dinner!Special Features:
- Wonderful diningValadyDined on 8/14/2014Great food. Great service. Great ambience. Well worth the visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Potential but needs a restartOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Have eaten here years ago and there is so much potential in the beauty of the restaurant but it wasn't showing the night we were there. We were rushed, my main meal was cold and the staff were non-committal. I had considered this place for my 50th birthday celebrations (we were coming from Australia) but had heard reviews it was off its game - glad we didn't try and do my party celebrations there. I will hold out hope for a revival by the time I'm holidaying again.
- Lives Up to the LegendSnoozyQzeeDined on 8/13/2014I grew up in NYC, passing by this legendary establishment for decades. Restaurant Week offered up a great opportunity to try it, at last, without severe sticker shock. A beautiful and elegant spot, excellent food, but the service was a bit gruff. I will certainly keep it in mind for my next special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, kinda touristyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The ambience at Russian Tea Room is definitely a bit gaudy and over-the-top, which, in my opinion, takes away from the experience of the food. Seems like a good spot for tourists or someone looking for a kitschy, out of the ordinary evening. Very active service at a place like this, but most of the waiters didn't seem all that happy or friendly. The food wasn't very inventive or creative, but it was very well executed. My steak was cooked beautifully.
- bbordDined on 8/12/2014Haven't been there for at least 20 years. Same fabulous restaurant that I remember. The décor is outstanding and is a very lovely restaurant. An unique gem.Special Features:
- Virginia GirlduzerDined on 8/12/2014We absolutely loved our experience at the Russian Tea Room. We went during restaurant week and was so pleased that the menu was so diverse the staff were awesome, food 5 star taste and quality, and we were never rushed through the meal. We will place this one on a must go to every time we return to ManhattanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014We had the restaurant week deal and the food was decent. Nothing special, just average.
- Just OK, decent foodjlib78Dined on 8/12/2014I went here on Tuesday for restaurant week and was pleased with the beef entree but do not recommend the boursch soup. Nice service and atmosphere. Overall decent experience.
- Grand ContinuumconversationalistVIPDined on 8/8/2014You go as a child and are struck by the colors, pomp and splendour. You return as an adult, bathed in memories. As you come back older yet with friends, gentled by mutual remembrances of lives past. The food is good, the service a bit faded (we did arrive after 10 pm), and the decor as hoped for. It is great to have a reliable, effective location for certain moods, when you need to be gentled after too much catching up and too many experiences in a day. I think that it would be nice if the clearers would not remove the plates of eaters at a table until everyone has finished - but maybe I have old fashioned manners; and if that is my major complaint - well, things are not so bad.Special Features:
- Czar would feel at homemikefromnycVIPDined on 8/8/2014Appetizers of borscht or blinies are recommended. The mains were fine, but not haut cuisine. You go for the atmosphere and its proximity to Carnegie Hall. The Russian souvenir shop in the basement is interesting, but IMHO way over-priced, as is the food except on Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- Delicious borscht, steak, dessertGormADined on 8/8/2014The service was impeccable, food delicious, and participation in restaurant week made it an excellent value!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodFoodLoverDined on 8/7/2014I enjoyed the Russian tea room. The service was really good, the food tasted good, but the portions where very small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty RestaurantMaurDined on 8/7/2014The Russian Tea Room has a romantic environment that is outstanding. However, the food is a bit ordinary. Service is very good.Special Features:
- Lunch at the Russian Tea RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014Thoroughly enjoyed my meal. The service was excellent and the waiter was very attentive. My appetizer was a true Russian Borcht. My steak entree was very good and prepared to my liking. The chocolate pyramid dessert was very rich and an enjoyable finale to my lunch. I would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- bad restaurant!terryzengDined on 8/6/2014This place is horrible! Lights were too dim, waiters were not welcoming. Tablewares were too old fashion and low class. Food is bad! It was not tasty at all!!!
- GetitdoneDined on 8/6/2014the service was excellent. the waiter made sure you lacked for nothing, but we're not intrusive.Special Features:
- Elegant Restaurant LunchJannVIPDined on 8/6/2014Goat Cheese & mushroom blinchik to start; Fillet of Beef-medium rare and vegetable ravioli for entrees; Chocolate Pyramid for dessert. Everything was flavorful, well prepared and presented. Service was attentive and professional. Everyone should come here at least once to experience the sumptuous décor.
- Far from being RussianEderDined on 8/5/2014The food is terrible,its far from being real Russian.90% of menu names has nothing to do with original.The prices too high for such quality.Go to any other restaurant OWNED by Russians.Even tea is from bags and it does not exist in any good houseSpecial Features:
- Need something new?TizianaDined on 8/5/2014The Russian Tea Room is a historic landmark and I was looking forward to trying it out. I cannot say to have been disappointed by any particular aspect of the dinner - the place is clean, the service good and the food up to the standard. But there is nothing to surprise, nothing fancy or even attractive or sparkling.Special Features:
- DMIncDined on 8/5/2014The service was great- from bar to our table service. Our server was attentive and funny, which is always a plus. Atmosphere is romantic and sophisticated. It is perfect if you want to have that special moment which that certain someone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOdileDined on 8/5/2014I like the old Russian style, very chic, you're not in New York anymore ! Great food and service is excellent. I'll come back for tea in the afternoon, so much choice.Special Features:
- good food in a charming settingeastgategirlDined on 8/4/2014The garden was an ideal place to eat dinner on a warm August evening. Lovely greenery, good food, and excellent service combined to make this a delightful experience.Special Features:
- Kitsch decor, good foodlbovVIPDined on 8/4/2014This restaurant, open for over 80 years, is an institution in NY and this is what you pay for. The decor is over-the-top kitsch but nonetheless interesting to go to once. Their lunch menu for restaurant week was a fantastic opportunity to try this restaurant. The food was decent, but there is significant room for improvement. However, the service was extremely attentive and waiters were lovely.Special Features: