256 West 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
RussianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.russiansamovar.com/
- Phone: 2127570168x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday 12:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Tuesday 12:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
Wednesday 12:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
Thursday 12:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
Friday 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.
Saturday 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.
Sunday 12:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, Continental
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Russian Samovar will be happy to cater your next corporate or private event.
- Entertainment: We feature live entertainment every night, starting at 8 p.m.
Please call us to find out who is playing on the night of your reservation
- Special Events: Feel free to call and Inquire about our special events menu and booking of the second floor.
A word from Russian Samovar
This Theater District gem is decorated with a charming collection of eponymous samovars. The banquette-lined main room adds an air of grandeur while maintaining a comfortable and welcoming vibe. Known for its flavored vodkas—at least a dozen herb and/or fruit infused varieties are available. There is also a full menu of Russian and Georgian classic comfort fare like borsht, pelmeni, and of course caviar. We are a pleasant place to visit while away for a few hours with friends or perhaps to romance a new interest, Russian style.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Russian Samovar - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Russian Samovar reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (9)late-night find (7)good for groups (6)special occasion (5)romantic (5)hot spot (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Russian decor- very friendly staff and the food was delicious. Great for pre theather too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014All of the cooked food was wonderful. The only disappointment was the caviar - not fresh, mushy, not good quality. I would order everything I ordered again - except the caviar! The service was wonderful. Even the Russian tea for dessert was great!Special Features:
- Authentic Russian fareRolloDined on 8/12/2014Our servers suggestions were excellent. The infused vodkas provide an excellent accompaniment to meals served with creativity and great taste. Ivan is an attentive waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- generalVIPDined on 7/20/2014This was first time at Russian Samovar. The menu was extensive and they also had a great caviar list. The waiters were attentive and plates were removed quickly. I ordered short ribs and they were tender and the sauce was great. I would return to this restaurant in the future and I will recommended it to my friends.Special Features:
- Everything I expected and moreAAAlderete89Dined on 7/6/2014My boyfriend and I had just finished viewing the Wicked Musical at the Gershwin theater and I had been put in charge of finding a restaurant for dinner. The Russian Samavor was literally 2 minutes away walking distance. I was extremely excited for the piano music and singing as I had done my homework. We started off with Russian tea alongside candied dipped cherries, warm white & wheat bread with a side of butter, for dinner my boyfriend chose the Braised short ribs which, were amazingly tender. I chose the eggplant caviar which was very tasty. For dessert we had vodka of course. He chose pineapple and I had the horseradish to see what all the hype was about. It sure lived up to its expectation. We danced to Russian music until bedtime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!GKeysDined on 6/28/2014I went here for my birthday and it was excellent! The beef stroganoff and chicken kiev were incredible! The vodka is definitely a cut above the rest (with some interesting flavors too!) The service was very good and the ambience is great! We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!ZodaviolaDined on 6/26/2014After visiting Russia last year, my friend and I were craving authentic food in NYC. We were not disappointed! The food, especially the salmon pie and pelmeni, were fantastic. The live music only added to our incredible evening. We will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only if no other options.catgirlflVIPDined on 6/26/2014Service was reluctant and unpleasant. Beef stroganoff meat dried out, no flavor. Dumpling sampler overcooked. Beet soup good.
- Wonderful experienceJanieDined on 5/24/2014The food was excellent, especially the beef stroganof. Loved the atmosphere and the wait staff was friendly and very informative describing the menu. Great place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- after theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/22/2014great spot for fun after the theater, with very good Russian food and lots of vodka, with live Russian music. Have been here many times and it never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food- not enough waitersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Good food, excellent Borscht, but not enough waiters. Our waiter was excellent but stressed because he was covering too many tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MandBVIPDined on 5/20/2014Great for after theatre! Vodka by the carafe, wonderful Russian specialties, and excellent service. The only drawback: noisy live entertainment that takes away from a genuine Russian atmosphere.Special Features:
- The following 123 reviews are from the Russian Samovar reviews archive.
- Big order celebrationSaffafoodyDined on 4/22/2014Great Vodka bar friendly service and something different a real experienceSpecial Features:
- Russian SamovarGPLuVIPDined on 4/20/2014A very genuine Russian atmosphere. The classics were perfectly made, and the piano player both sang and played what might be Sinatra favorites.Will go again. The honey cake was ridiculously good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Russian Ethnic FoodethnicfoodluverDined on 4/19/2014The different flavored vodkas really made the meal. The pepper Vodka with the salmon kulebyaka was amazing. The energetic ambiance and the music really made the evening. The service staff was superb in helping us with our choices of flavored vodka and pairing with various foods. Even with 3 carafes of vodka, very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is greattonicbDined on 4/19/2014We ate at Russian Samovar on Saturday, April 19, before going to the theatre. Everything was great, from the delicious Bloody Mary made with horseradish vodka to our entrees to the wonderful Russian tea. This is a wonderful find. There was a piano player and attentive waiters. Next time we go to a play we are going back. DELICIOUS!Special Features:
- Great Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014Hit this place up after a show on a Saturday night and it was a blast. Live music and singing, great drinks and food! We felt like we'd been transported to Russia. I would recommend this place to anyone wanting a fun dinner in the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great stuffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014Great food, great music. Love the beef straug, potato varaneki, infused vodka, blinis, and more. Servers are always very warm and helpful. Piano, violin, singing. Some dancing, good times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beCEHE4KADined on 3/14/2014The food was horrible, even the simple classics were not executed anywhere near average.
- Never. Again.MaryDined on 3/8/2014People everywhere dancing to tunes that were offensive, something about s_it in your boots...not very appetizing. The hostess texting while leaning against the wall with one foot cocked up on the wall, head buried in the cell phone, oblivious to anyone coming through the door told us that we had no table. I asked why they bothered to take reservations. She then accused me of not having a reservation without even asking my last name to check the reservation list. I doubt there was a list. She said that she'd turned away all open table reservations that evening because they "had a long line" On the way out, one of their customers was kick dancing to the music right in front of the doorway and kicked me in the arm. She didn't even notice.
- Very Happy Experience at SamovarOctavio42Dined on 3/4/2014Service was excellent. Our waitress was a young Ukrainian lady who helped us through the menu and made a successful effort at making my wife and I very happy. Caviar at a VERY reasonable price. Good atmosphere Somewhat noisy. We shall definitely return and recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real RussiasashaDined on 2/23/2014We ate dinner at the Russian Samovar after seeing a play at the Neil Simon theatre next door. We shared the excellent smoked fish platter to start, which was fresh and plentiful. They have many kinds of infused vodka, we tried some and found them superb. The decor is red padded banquettes with a sultry piano player adding to the romantic atmosphere. Many patrons were Russian and seemed to be regulars. Service was leisurely but attentive. Highly recommended, a real find in the theatre district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun atmospheressbcDined on 2/22/2014We got there on time and our table was waiting, even on a busy theater night. We went on a Saturday and the restaurant was pleasantly packed, though fairly loud making conversation a tad difficult across the table. We had to wait for a bit for a server to notice us in the throng but when she did she was wonderful -- attentive, helpful, and friendly. Each of us thought our food was wonderful and we shared a bunch of appetizers that were equally good. We enjoyed the live entertainment which added to the ambiance. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Average Food, Bad ServiceUnimpressedDined on 2/17/2014While the menu itself looks promising, the waitstaff is slow and indifferent, and the live piano music is just plain annoying. And thinking back on the food itself, there's no reason to go back.
- Ethnic delightKonikoDined on 2/11/2014This restaurant has a very good selection of Russian specialties. Food was very well prepared and tasty. The blitzes were outstanding. Very caring staff ensure you are happy with your meal and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively Russian/Great VodkacaroinnyDined on 2/8/2014Really enjoyed our visit here, very fun and lively atmosphere, traditional Russian menu. FANTASTIC house infused vodkas - DO NOT MISS THOSE - lot's of terrific choices for experimentation on the menu. Pretty lively with a piano bar. Service was very personal and warm and gave great recommendations, but I think because it's a very traditional restaurant, it does take a while for your food. The good news is unlike many new York restaurants, that traditional and slightly slow service does mean you have your table as long as you want, they aren't rushing you out. Really enjoyed it. Will go back. The codfish was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LUNCH BEFORE BROADWAYdiningduoDined on 2/8/2014We planned lunch here before attending a play at 2pm. When I went to make a reservation, the eariest time was 1. We took a chance of getting to samovar at 12:30 and was surprised to find the restaurat empty. We thought they were not open yet. The food was good, especially the beef stroganoff. I had the 3 course prix fixed lunch but never got my soup. Would I go again? With so many places to dine in NYC, I doubt it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, an outstandingMorkVIPDined on 1/23/2014As always, an outstanding evening...it all comes down to the atmosphere: a combination of the decor, the music, the service and - of course - the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mass confusionValeVIPDined on 1/18/2014Good food but service was sloppy & disorganized. To be fair, there was an event downstairs the night we were there. They seemed confused when we arrived and did not have a table available despite us having made reservations. They seated us but neglected to provide menus. ~5 minutes later a waiter came by for our order and only them realized we did not have menus. We ordered drinks & food. Waited about 25 minutes and finally asked for bread. Our drinks, food, and requested bread (which was provided to other tables shortly after they were seated) finally all arrived about 45 mins after we sat. Our food did sit in a table w/in sight for about 5 mins while they sorted out whose food it was. Needless to say we skipped dessert.
- TURN DOWN THE SOUND!!!!NinaVIPDined on 1/14/2014The Russian Samovar probably has the best and most authentic Russian cuisine in Manhattan. The range is broad, with many many hot and cold appetizers, you can certainly make a meal out of a selection of smoked fish, pickled vegetables (some quite spicy, yum!), pelmeni (siberian dumplings), khachapuri (a Georgian cheese pizza-like bread) and other delights. The flavored vodkas are delicious and vary from sweet, like cranberry or pear, to pretty powerful, ginger and horseradish (which will cure anything). But, the night we were there the band was so loud we could not hear ourselves think much less talk. Unbearable sound levels, not very good music, either. Try to go on a night with Alexander Izbitser is at the piano. He's amazing!Special Features:
- Great International Experiencejjb52VIPDined on 1/12/2014Very interesting food options, great entertainment at night combined with a fun & knowledgeable waiter made for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden NY gemSgpeatDined on 1/2/2014Dinner at this restaurant was the one of the best parts about my trip to NY. The menu, food, service and ambiance were incredible. The russian samovar is an experience that you shouldn't pass up while in NY. The beef stroganoff, red caviar, honey cake and infused vodkas were absolutely incredible. I highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!ChrisDined on 12/27/2013For a Christmas/New Year's celebration w out-of-town and in-town guests - Best time I have had in a restaurant in a ages! I can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/23/2013I found this for a late night dinner after a show in Times Square and it was perfect. Far enough away from Time Square to get away from the crazy tourists, but close enough for a nice walk. Easy to get a table, great piano player and great food. The Georgian dishes were very authentic for a former Peace Corps Volunteer there, especially the Chicken Satstivi. The other, more Russian or Ukranian meals, veal shank and lamb kebabs, were delicous and greatly enjoyed by my fellow dinners. My husband really enjoyed the horseradish vodka as well. I'll definately be making the trek up from DC to dine here again.Special Features:
- It was lunch with the girls,hebattyVIPDined on 12/13/2013It was lunch with the girls, we wanted caviar and vodka and we had a great time - there is no music during lunch and almost no one else was there- the cavair was very good and the flavored vodkas were yummy
- We've never been disappointedMorkVIPDined on 12/9/2013We've never been disappointed at the Samovar: we were there on a Monday, when things tend to be a bit quiet. But the service was attentive, the food excellent (although I wish they'd bring the shashlik back to the menu), and the horseradish vodka just right. I get there every chance I can and will continue to do so.Special Features:
- SpontaneityOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/23/2013Imaginative vodka infusions, Russian speciality dishes, , live piano and a guest opera vocalist in a sweatshirt created a magical evening.Special Features:
- Good older restaurantCartmomDined on 10/26/2013Very educational for those not familiar with Ukrainian food. Restaurant decor is dated but staff is friendly. Beef stroganoff was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and especiallyNy201301Dined on 10/19/2013Wonderful food and especially loved the infused vodkas and live music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seedy scenesoutherngal1Dined on 10/13/2013Good food, good service, excellent Jazz, acommodating in every way...........but decor was a bit depressing and dark. Would have preferred a table cloth to the paper placemats on our dark table.