1800 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.russiahouselounge.com/
- Phone: 2022349433x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, Continental, Eastern European
- Executive Chef: Andrew LaPorta
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Wednesday Night-- Piano/Bass Duo
Thursday Night--- Electric Violin
A word from Russia House
Nestled on the corner of Connecticut and Florida Avenues, this inspired Russian restaurant and lounge is evocatively reminiscent of the era of the Tsars. The Russian-European elegance of the Russia House offers a uniquely warm and comfortable meeting place for anyone appreciative of its friendly and intimate coziness. It is the perfect meeting place for the true Washington socialite. The Russian-infused intercontinental cuisine pleases the most refined palate with such nouveau-traditional entrees as the Beef Stroganoff and the Chicken Kiev. Further true to tradition, the Russia House features an impressive selection of caviars and one of the largest vodka collections in Washington, D.C.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Russia House reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (25)romantic (15)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (5)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Definitely worth itTheFoodsterMeisterDined on 8/30/2014We had a great time at the Russia House. It's not that I particularly liked the food, but it's rustically 'exotic' and definitely worth it. Why have excellent French or Italian again and again, when you can experience salty elk sausage and horseradish vodka once in a while? Thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceDCFoodieDined on 8/30/2014Outstanding food and service! Ambiance and decor makes you feel as though you walked into a trendy, new eatery on Arbat St in Moscow. Highly Recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014This restaurant has not forgotten who the patron is. Server from Serbia was knowledgeable, friendly and a good server.Special Features:
- 5 Red Stars for Russia Houserkr1854Dined on 8/27/2014This visit was my fourth and my wife's first. She was skeptical. Food and service were superb, Stroganoff and Shashlik. Vodka selection is the largest I have ever seen in one place, and it was smoooooth. The menu has a traditional Russian selection. My wife came away convinced. In her words, "Russia isn't known for great food, I think; but this was wonderful!" We will go back any time we are in D.C., and we are telling friends!!Special Features:
- Great placespdinerVIPDined on 8/20/2014Great ambiance,excellent service. Moscow Borsch was excellent. Duck was slightly dry. Good Creme brûlée. Have been here twice before. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like itRealHumanBeingDined on 8/16/2014I'm glad the Cold War is over. I imagine that it'd be tougher to find good Russian food and vodka before 1992.Special Features:
- Good localGreatDined on 8/16/2014This is in a great location. The food and waitress was hot and sexy. I would recommend this placeSpecial Features:
- Old World. ElegancejoansDined on 8/15/2014Russian cuisine is refined in the same way as French. Russia House not only offers outstanding food and gracious service, it provides an experience. Highly recommended, either for an elegant dining experience, or drnks and small plates in the lounge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014I have eaten @ the Russia House in the past while visiting DC & loved it for both it's food & it's atmosphere. However, this time, I made the mistake of visiting during restaurant week. My friends & I were offered a single page menu of 3 courses for $30. We asked if we could order off of the regular menu and were told no, that we were required to order from the three course menu. We had to practically beg the waitress to let us order 2 side salads (even though they were on the menu as an appetizer). The blini & caviar appetizer had obviously been made in advance, were in rolls and cold. I think the topper was when we asked for pоссии чай (russian tea) which is customarily served in glasses - we were brought a tea pot and high ball glasses.
- Loved itSSM23Dined on 8/12/2014An amazing dining experience! The food was impeccable, more than we could finish. We had an amuse bushe and the waitress gave us free shots for my friends birthday. I'm definitely going back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Good FoodBevSDined on 8/12/2014The service was really excellent and welcoming. The food was good but considering how expensive it was, the food could have been better. We visited for restaurant week with limited choices of starters and entrees. We had the salmon, beef stroganoff and chicken Kiev. The beef was a bit chewy, the chicken was decent, and the salmon was good. The desserts were just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious taste of Russian FareOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/12/2014The menu provided a good representation of dishes from Russia. We enjoyed all tastes, from borscht, to a mushroom and potato collotte, to blini. The beef stroganoff and salmon pastry were very tasty and the brulee and mousse chocolate cake were both a nice finish to the meal. The service was pleasant and helpful, but the one problem was a sense of being rushed from the dining room -- in this instance service was a bit too quick!Special Features:
- ExcellentRainesjlDined on 8/11/2014Went here for restaurant week. The service was amazing! She was very attentive, and very sweet as well. We ordered the mushroom cocotte for an appetizer, which was phenomenal. Also had a raw oyster, which is not my thing but was cool to try. I had the beef stroganoff, which was wonderfully tender meat and very flavorful. The Chicken Kiev seemed a little oily, but it was tasty. The whipped mashed potatoes were very nice. For dessert, chocolate cake and creme brulee! The cake was very good, but VERY chocolaty. The creme brulee was tasty, but didn't quite have the crusty scorched sugar crust on top that you really want to see with creme brulee. That did not stop us from eating it all. Martinis also good. Would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Vodka & A SmilePaperPillsDined on 8/9/2014Great food, great service, great vodka. We loved this authentic Russian dining experience with its attentive service and dark, quiet atmosphere. We'll be coming back for restaurant week!Special Features:
- ellebarbDined on 8/8/2014I loved the Russian menu; the choices seemed exclusively Russian, and it gave the patron a one-of-a-kind experience. The borscht was good, and the service and ambience were also fine. I would recommend it; an enjoyable intercultural experience.Special Features:
- Excellent AtmosphereMartynDined on 8/3/2014Overall, we had an excellent dining experience. We probably won't get the caviar again.Special Features:
- EthnicFoodLoversOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014The dining room was too small for 5 tables. At the beginning it was fine when we were there by ourselves, but as soon as other parties came, one could hear every other table's conversations. The vodka sampler was very good to experiment but the food was average. Our curiosity was satisfied, we don't plan to go back there anytime soon.
- Vodka and AppseMJayBeeVIPDined on 6/15/2014We went for Father's Day because my dad loves vodka and their vodka list is impressive. Our waitress, Mila, was fantastic. She helped us pick 6 vodkas to taste and was very knowledgeable about them. She also helped us picked some blinis and appetizers to snack on while we were tasting. We all had a great time and have already made time to come back. As a "Kettle One & Soda" girl, my eyes have been opened and I will continue to make my way through the list!
- Impressed againRantiDined on 5/31/2014I have been here before; once for dinner and again for drinks. We came to celebrate my Dad's birthday and the entire family enjoyed the food and the vodka! Our waitress was very friendly and accommodating. I would definitely suggest this place to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Russia HousePaulDined on 5/23/2014We have enjoyed several special occasion dinners at Russia House, and the restaurant never disappoints. Excellent service, delicious and unusual food, a delightful ambience, and a vodka menu that is unparalleled in the DC area. Plan your next special dinner for Russia House!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 751 reviews are from the Russia House reviews archive.
- Excellent as UsualSatisfiedDined on 5/18/2014Love taking family and friends here from out of town. Food, alcohol and atmosphere is excellent. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- DeliciousMusicBearDined on 5/6/2014Our third time dining at Russia House. Cocktails were very good and dinner was excellent. It is quite a good deal for Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentbaileyDined on 5/4/2014The food was good and the server was attentive. They have some great vodka choices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was deliciousArcherVIPDined on 5/1/2014We got the beef short ribs stuffed peppers, pierogis (both appetizer and entree), and duck and mushroom blini. The food was cooked well and very flavorful. We also tried the mango martini and Moscow mule, which were both delicious. The service was a little lacking, we wanted to order dessert, but out waitress disappeared for 45 minutes and we had to flag her down to get the check. She never reappeared to pick up the check, but luckily we had enough cash to cash out and leave a tip. As we passed our waitress up the stairs on the way out, she never acknowledged us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than St. PetersburgasmilingrussianDined on 4/26/2014We started out at the upstairs bar which was lively and pleasant and offered an incredible selection of vodkas from around the world. The four of us were then seated downstairs in a little private room right out of the Belle Epoque period. The room was lovely and quiet and we could enjoy lively conversation. Our server was a lovely Serbian lady who was very attentive and very knowledgeable about the food. The food was outstanding and better than I remember any of the meals I had just a few years ago in St. Petersburg. We passed around our dishes so everyone could enjoy all the wonderful and different flavors. I would recommend Russia House to everyone, particularly for a special occasion where a more expensive meal is appropriate.Special Features:
- Now I Need To Go BackNotOutMuchDined on 4/25/2014The food is hearty and authentic. The vodka selection is amazing and the servers are exceptional. The only downside is trying to find parking on a Friday evening. I look forward to going back to sample some different dishes and vodka. I'll take a taxi. It is not overly priced but not inexpensive either. However they happily participate in Groupon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the WaitrtesmerVIPDined on 4/25/2014Had reservations, but it still took nearly an hour to be seated. Normally that would be a very bad thing- but they took care of us at the bar with complimentary drinks until our table was ready. Once seated, the service was fantastic and the food..... Very much well worth the extra wait in the bar for the table. Chicken croquettes, fantastic. Rack of Lamb, perfection with that bread pudding. The desert of crème brulee, different but also very very good. The experience was fantastic and we will definitely return.Special Features:
- VodkadootsDined on 4/24/2014Great list of vodkas! the elk and cherry sausage was outstanding. the breads were terrific. a fun evening.Special Features:
- Russia HouserussianhouseDined on 4/19/2014Great ambience and service. Food left a lot to be desired.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2014The food and drinks were fantastic. Everything recommended was spot on. Staff was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itAZTravelersDined on 4/16/2014We had a wonderful time. The food was delicious. Our waitress was polite, friendly and very helpfull.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!ATinthecityDined on 4/12/2014After talking about going to Russia House for awhile, my friend and I finally went. The food was excellent, the service was great, and the drinks were delicious! Too often you go to restaurants that are too expensive for what you get and the service is so-so. Russia House delivers on all fronts and I would definitely go here again.Special Features:
- It was niceMaxineDined on 4/5/2014The service wasn't friendly or service-oriented. Food was good, not great, and pricey. I liked the atmosphere and feel of the place. Probably won't go back unless just to the bar.Special Features:
- Truly ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/5/2014The food is worth every bit of its steep price tag when you go to Russia House. The Pelmini appitizer is divine. We have been here twice now and both entrees I ordered, beef stroganof and their duck, were both wonderfully done. The wine and beer are all selected to be among the best that eastern Europe has to offer and can provide some different flavors and experiences to that which you can get here. If you are in the mood for something stronger, there is a MASSIVE list of Vodkas available from around the world. The martinis are expensive, but very well made. Expect to come out lighter in the wallet but full of the experience and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vodka extraordinaire!VodkaDined on 3/30/2014Highly recommend the vodka sampling! Food was very tasty and a variety for the four diners that evening.Special Features:
- Perfect Dining ExperienceLizkaDined on 3/22/2014My friend and I had an evening reservation for Russia house -- we ended up being seated around 9:45. Upstairs the mood is very loud and vibrant, but we were seated in a smaller room downstairs. The decor was pleasing, and though a bit noisy, was not too loud to hold a conversation and soon quieted down considerably. I had a glass of wine and my friend had a hot tea which were both to our liking. We shared the short rib stuffed peppers and the Colorado pierogies, both of which were delicious, though I think I preferred the stuffed peppers -- the hollandaise was great. I had the Zapechionaya Baranina -- roasted lamb with savory bread pudding and Swiss chard -- excellent. Can't speak to my friend's meal, but the creme brulee -- amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner at the Russia HouseBirthdaylunchDined on 3/15/2014Another great dinner at the Russia House. We were there for the second time, this time for a (Russia-related) special occasion. The food is very good to great, service perfect, ambiance very nice. We receveid a nice surprise for dessert, given our special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DC institutionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/6/2014The Russia House has an excellent bar, with an impressive vodka selection, but it's nice for a romantic date too.Special Features:
- Molodyets!ChrisDined on 3/1/2014This is my favorite restaurant in DC, hands down. While I'm not much into the bar scene anymore, and the downstairs is a bit cramped, it's worth it. My wife and I thoroughly enjoy this place. The service here is the most attentive of any of the DuPont Circle restaurants. The rabbit and dumplings, with the radish sauce were a huge surprise, excellent, and the cocotte is still probably my favorite thing on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/28/2014We had the beef stroganoff and all the classics. While the stroganoff was a bit chewy for my taste, everything else was excellent. Our waitress was very helpful and quick. We will be returning sometime soon.Special Features: