Russia House Restaurant - Herndon
724 Pine Street
Herndon, VA 20170Neighborhood:
RussianPrice: $30 and under
Russia House Restaurant - Herndon
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.russiahouserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7037878880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am – 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, Continental
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering For daytime & evening affairs
- Private Party Facilities: Private Parties for 10-100 People
- Private Party Contact: Homeyra Darugar 703-787-8880
A word from Russia House Restaurant - Herndon
Set in historic Herndon, the Russia House Restaurant offers Russian hospitality and culinary excellence in all its details. The restaurant opened in July of 1992 by the friendly owners Ali and Homeyra Darugar, and together they created an atmosphere of aristocratic dining with classic cuisine, with the warm feeling that you are dining at your aristocratic grandmother’s table. Mrs. Darugar moved from Russia with her grandparents to Switzerland, where she learned to cook in her grandmother’s kitchen. She brought her great culinary talents here to the United States and created the exquisite menu and served as the head chef in the first few years the restaurant was opened. The restaurant features Russian, Continental and Georgian cuisine with a French flair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Russia House Restaurant - Herndon - Best Restaurants in Herndon ›
Russia House Restaurant - Herndon reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (23)neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (19)romantic (17)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)good for groups (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Always a pleasuret8teVIPDined on 9/14/2014What's not to love...the food is always spectacular and looks amazing. The service is attentive - professional but warm. The drinks are well-made and tasty. The owners are the best. I love their new location.Special Features:
- Very good family owned restaurantSmithVIPDined on 9/14/2014We have been coming here for years. They have moved to new building across the street. The room is bright and airy with a nice feel. Service was top notch. Food was excellent always.
- Amazing food and so friendly!Herndon4diningDined on 9/12/2014We've had the pleasure of dining at The Russia House many, many times over the passed 21 years. They've recently moved across the street and the new space is wonderful! The food is delicious and beautifully presented. The service is excellent. Ali and Homera, the owners, make you feel very welcomed. This is one of our very favorite restaurants!Special Features:
- Delightful lunchtastyVIPDined on 9/11/2014Celebrated a birthday lunch with a pal. Bacon wrapped scallops, shrimp flambe, beef stroganoff just lovely. Russia house is a great option when you want to get away from the lunch fray of RTC. Sit back and smell the roses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Dinner 1st ratetastyVIPDined on 8/21/2014We attended a Washington State wine dinner last week. It was very very good. Chef prepared an excellent menu that perfectly matched the wine, course by course. The service is alway professional and timely. Price was right and included tax and gratuity. The new location is light and bright. Check out this old Town Herndon classic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Husbands birthdayMagnzDined on 8/19/2014We had a wonderful meal last week at Russia House. The service was absolutely wonderful. My husband ordered the bacon wrapped scallops as his appetizer. They were amazing he said. After our entrees we declined dessert, but as it was my husbands birthday we were given a profiterole each drizzled with a little chocolate sauce. My husband had a candle in his. A very nice touch by our server, who I think was the owner. Such a lovely man. Overall we had a lovely meal and would highly recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dml081514OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014This isthird year an first time at this site. Excellent drinks and food. Never leaves us wanting more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than just RussiantastyVIPDined on 8/5/2014I hosted my book club dinner for 7 at the NEW Russia House location. It was wonderful. Chef Homeyra created a menu that matched the theme of the book, German and French. I gave her a few perameters the week before and that was it. German Sausages with sauerkraut, tasty house salad, Salmon in a Champagne sauce, Chicken Cordon Bleu, with little cheese cake parfaits to finish. Ali and Homeyra ar attentive with the service. I will return with Spouse to enjoy our favorites seared scallops, Shrimp and filet flambé. Who doesn't like a little flare?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recommendrrp126Dined on 8/2/2014Four of us enjoyed a very pleasant Saturday evening dinner at Russia House. The restaurant has just moved into new quarters and is still in the process of putting the finishing touches on the decor. The host/owner Ali Darugar made us all feel very welcome. The food was excellent, especially the Duck with Sour Cherries and the Filet Mignon with two sauces. We tried three different wines by the glass and all were first rate. Service was efficient without being obtrusive. All in all a delightful experience which we intend to repeat.Special Features:
- Consistently delicious food & drinkrUyummyVIPDined on 8/2/2014We have been coming here for years, and every single time we walk out the door, we are raving about the food! And we are complete foodies. It's nice to know that we can always get a reliably tasty meal (with the friendliest and warm service) every single time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food!pickyeatersDined on 8/2/2014Beef stroganoff, Siberian dumplings, Filet Minong, scallop dishes were had at our table. All uniquely prepared and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family friendlymdl57Dined on 7/31/2014We very much enjoyed our dinner. What I noticed was the interaction the staff had with the patrons. Service was formal but comfortable. We were relaxed and enjoyed a very well presented meal. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. This was our first visit and we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leisurely DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/27/2014We tried three entrees (stroganoff, dumplings, and a pasta with scallops) and two desserts (cream puffs and apply strudel) - all of them delicious. The service was gracious and accommodating, and the décor is welcoming, with some interesting art and Russian collectibles. As others have noted, the pace can be slow. This makes it a great choice to catch up with friends and enjoy a relaxed dinner.Special Features:
- Our favoriteBleeverDined on 7/19/2014We have been dining at the Russia House for 22 years. It is our favorite place. The owners are very hospitable and the food is delicious! Their new location is lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new location!JTravelDined on 7/17/2014Having visited the RH for special occasions over the past 15 years, the new location (across the street from the old) is a wonderful step up! Bright, light, ambience now matches the quality of the service and selections. Congratulations to the owners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendly100RussianVIPDined on 7/9/2014The food was served in a timely manner and presentation was excellent. Host and servers were friendly but not intrusive. The new location and decor lends itself to a lighter and more pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new location on PINEtastyVIPDined on 6/23/2014Now located just across the street Russia House is bright and light with loads of windows and a fresh feel. The service is personal and the menu items are classic making this a romantic option for couples. Shrimp with Brandy Sauce is delicious. My scallop entree with sliced mushrooms was inventive and tasty. Husband ordered filet flambé with extra scallop potatoes. Very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very friendly and comfortableAlexDined on 6/21/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was great and the portions are large. The staff are very inviting and extremely courteous. We were hoping for less than DC prices but the prices were high. The food, ambiance, and experience were worth the price though, which isn't always the case in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and Food!JLRGVIPDined on 6/19/2014We really enjoy Russia House. They are extremely friendly. The food is excellent. Martinis with Russian vodka are dangerously good. A nice, quiet neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Great experienceWantagreattimeDined on 6/17/2014Food and serve was fabulous! One of our favorite places. New location was a surprise was but was a pleasant change. Great wine list!Special Features:
- Russian cuisine in VirginiadgdfgVIPDined on 6/7/2014Wonderful ethnic cooking. The borsch is excellent! Caviar adds a special touch to the meal. Also, a nice selection of vodkas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really GoodMikeCDined on 5/25/2014Only one small minor issue regarding the freshness of the walnuts. Everything else was outstanding. We WILL be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteDSmithVIPDined on 5/24/2014We have been to Russia House several times and always find it enjoyable. The new location was a bit of a surprise but it will be very nice. The food is great and the service is very friendly. We will be back many more times.Special Features:
- The following 445 reviews are from the Russia House Restaurant - Herndon reviews archive.
- People were nice and the fooddjustin11VIPDined on 3/28/2014People were nice and the food was good, but the ambience needs updating, and the wine list is limited with many options out of stock. Also, the prices were quite high for the quality of the food.
- AWESOMEBabsDined on 3/22/2014Fabulous food, fabulous service, fabulous vodka! Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great meal!AFSEcatsDined on 3/22/2014Had filet mignon - very tender. Great Vegetables on the side - not the ususal. Great martinins too!Special Features:
- Was away too long!RedCab98Dined on 3/15/2014My wife and I were regulars at Russia House until our son came along and quiet, elegant dining left our radar. This past weekend we found ourselves childless for a night and rewarded ourselves with Ali's rich menu. Forgot how good the food is. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceAlanVIPDined on 3/1/2014Four of had a wonderful experience at Russia House in Herndon on Saturday evening, march 1. The owners, who took care of us, could not have been nicer, the food and drink were awesome, and we will be back! The duck was excellent, the noodles with caviar were excellent, the beef was excellent, well, you get the picture!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and ServicerixburyDined on 2/28/2014There are few places in Northern VA that I would recommend for a date night with a romantic environment. They cater to exactly that and likely business meeting dinners as the wine selection is not only thorough, it covers all pallets. I would recommend only this and the Ice House Cafe as the ones to go to in Herndon for business or a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealQueen68Dined on 2/28/2014My husband and I have been going her since 2001. We go about once or twice a year. We have never had anything less than excellence. He usually gets the beef stroganov and I get the filet mignon. It is pricey. 30.95 for each dish but his is made with filet. It is well worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious, but ...KittyDined on 2/15/2014The food was very good, but we had to wait about 10 minutes to get water, and even then I had to ask. My husband ordered borscht but never received it. I ordered beef stroganoff and it didn't have any noodles with it. I asked the waitress where the noodles were and she told me I had to ask for them when I ordered. My husband ordered stuffed cabbage and was served some sort of casserole with noodles. We waited so long for dinner that he ate it and didn't say anything to the server. Again, the food was prepared well and tasted great. It just seems that they need more than 2 servers and a busboy to attend to a full restaurant (it was Valentine's week-end after all!).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and QuietTonyDined on 2/14/2014Had a great experience for Valentine's day. The atmosphere was great and the food superb. They are severely under-staffed but that also gave us plenty of time without being interrupted. Still there was a lot of delay for taking our order and bringing us wine. Still overall a great place. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place in HerndonThatGuyBillDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I went to Russia House for Valentine’s Day dinner. It was a good experience. The food was great and the staff was very friendly. While our overall experience was great, I do feel like the food was very overpriced for what you received. While I will recommend the experience, I don’t know if I would go again due to the price.Special Features:
- Disappointing Valentines DayJudyVIPDined on 2/14/2014We've enjoyed going to Russia House but I have to agree with the previous raters---severely understaffed that night and prices were significantly increased without any forewarnng. Usually a restaurant will tell you that they have a special Valentines Day menu and then you can assume as much. But we've been many times before and waited way too long to be seated (20 minutes) without anyone as much as apologizing, and then went into shock over the prices. Perhaps a dessert on the house might have softened the blow?
- If they're going to doubleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014If they're going to double their price ($35 to $65 a plate) for Valentine's Day, the food needs to reflect that. My date and I had to wait nearly thirty minutes to be seated, although the restaurant was not very busy. Borscht soup tasted like minestrone, and French music was playing the whole time on the overhead speakers. Also, most things on the menu were distinctly American and French cuisine. This wasn't the best choice for someone looking to get some authentic Russian food. I definitely felt ripped off, we paid nearly $200 for a meal with small servings l that we could have gotten for $50 and for double the quality elsewhere. I'll be sticking to the best Russian restaurant in the DC area, Rus Uz in Arlington from on.
- For a Very Special OccasionGR8DinningDined on 2/14/2014Each entrée is made to order just like chef Ramsay's kitchen. Personal service/attention by owner. A true gourmet Russian cuisine and award winning restaurant. $$$$$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Happy Valentine specialdrrossDined on 2/14/2014Excellent food, unique appetizers, pleasant atmosphere. We have come here for Valentine's day every few years and always enjoy the food. My wife's trout was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/8/2014Excellent service! Great range of food selections, some better than others. Duck is superb, beef pelini was too salty for my taste. Looking forward to returning and further exploring the menu. Plan on a leisurely dinner pace as minimally staffed by owners but personal service worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favorite Place to DineDonaldDined on 2/4/2014My wife and I have been dining here for over 20 years. It is our favorite restaurant. The food is excellent and the service is outstanding. Manager and staff do their best to meet your every need, and do so in a very friendly manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely awful. My lambitsmybirthdayDined on 2/3/2014Absolutely awful. My lamb with rice and vegetables was not edible as in the meat was actually spoiled. The sauteed shrimp appetizer was over cooked and had a fishy smell to it. Escargot was so salty and not what it used to be. Desserts was also dreadful. The chocolate mousse was grainy and the Russian hazelnut cake which is a specialty was not so special. They need a restaurant makeover or some sort of intervention of the food being served.Special Features: