225 Main St. #110
Carbondale, CO 81623Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://russets.net/
- Phone: 9709633036
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast and Brunch: Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Claude Van Horton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Tell us what your needs are!
A word from Russets
Russets is located between Aspen and Glenwood Springs in charming and historic downtown Carbondale. Voted by locals as the best restaurant in Carbondale, Russets offers a warm, comfortable atmosphere, attentive and friendly service, and a menu that affords a quick bite, a full fledged fine dining experience, or anything in between. We are recent winners of Wine Spectator magazine’s Award of Excellence for our well crafted wine list and we also boast some of the valley's most popular house cocktails. Russets is a come-as-you-are locals' favorite, with service, wine, and food that is second to none.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Russets reviews from OpenTable diners
- the last best nighttastyDined on 1/5/2014Too bad this fantastic local spot is closing it's doors.... the recession that hit a few years ago really impacted the community, when people used to go out 3-4 nights a week to maybe one, made a huge difference in this locally run, (chef has 42 years in this valley) eatery. The menu consisted of local favorites, tastes you don't get anyplace else. they had a great run and now they have all the time in the world to ski and bike and travel and the rest of us will just have to remember the last meal we all shared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thanks!adventDined on 1/3/2014Sue/Claude,Wish you could keep it going. Have you thought about getting ahold of one of these guys like the Restaurant Stakeout Food Channel & turns restaurants? ie Willie Degel. You probably have thought of everything, How about a restaurant club-like the Caribou where there's a min membership chg per year, you could stagger it over 12 mos say $800.00/yr, & people have to use it or lose it-they get charged for what they don't use. That could keep a steady, guaranteed flow of income coming in. Fri/sat nights were exceptional glad we could come to your restaurant to celebrate some good health news for us. Good luck with what the future brings you both. Let us know if / when you open up again! thx,Shelley & HowardSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3.5 starsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/2/2014Dinner for 4 on a Thursday night. Restaurant was busy. Was disappointed somewhat to be sat next to bar when we had made a reservation a couple weeks in advance, apparently early diners were lingering. Lamb shank and short ribs were outstanding, sea bass and pork tenderloin were okay. Mussels app was very good, crab cake lacked flavor. Desserts were good. Wine selection excellent. Service by our waiter was outstanding, by the bartender at the bar after dinner was okay. Would rate it 3.5 stars if that was possible. Still a very nice restaurant for tiny Carbondale, and would recommend you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Price of the elk medallionsMorkDined on 12/31/2013Price of the elk medallions was high, all portions were small. Had to fill up on bread!Special Features:
- Date night for Husband and Wife.megretwineDined on 12/31/2013Everything met our expectations. We drive from Houston,Texas to spend New Years Eve at Carbondale. We always have our New Years Eve Dinner at your restaurant. All of your staff is always super nice and ready to help us in every way.My wife ,Margaret, and I thank you and all your staff very much for giving up your New Years Eve just so we can have a wonderful Dinner. We'll see you again next New Years Eve. Many Thanks, David and Margaret Gunnels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesJennDined on 11/15/2013The food at Russets is spectacular. The service is typically on par with the food, especially if you get one of the veterans. This particular time we got a young waiter who lacked much personality and seemed a bit uptight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite PlaceGWSdinerDined on 10/26/2013We have eaten here several times. Had a good friend from Denver in town. The one comment she made and I sgree was the potatoes were a wee bit undercooked. A place called Russets should have that down. But it will not keep me from returning. Food service bar is awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been an A+ event.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2013Could have been an A+ event. But, the wait person did not seem to be interested in being at work. Never smiled. Very matter-of-fact. Had a take it or leave it approach. All other aspects of the meal were much greater than satisfactory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saturday nightJimboDined on 10/5/2013Fish is the forte for Russets. But then so is everything else on the menu. The wine is great, entrees, salad, desserts all seem to be made fresh on order---even the key lime pie. I have been dining at Russets for more than fifteen (15) years, usually about three (3) times each year and have never had a problem. Susan remarkably, always greets me by name. That means quite a bit to a customer spending upwards of $150 for dinner for two. That quality of service and the awesome food and drinks make Russets my first choice in the quest for great dining. Thank you Russets!Special Features:
- Always goodDaniGraceDined on 9/29/2013I have never had a less-than-wonderful meal here. It's too bad that they no longer serve lunch, as it was my go-to place, but now dinners and Sunday brunches are even more of a treat. The staff is always helpful and sweet, the food is delicious, and the ambiance is cozy, classic, and comfy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great visitJudyDined on 9/26/2013Did not have what was listed on menue. We in especially for the Amond encrusted Trout, but sorry, 'we didn't order any". Chicken salad was very poor and Crab cakes were not great. We were very disappointed in this visit.
- Best in CarbondaleGWSdinerDined on 8/30/2013Special of night Halibut the best I've had in many years. Russets always comes through with quality food service and friendly wait staff. Mora at bar is awesome. Highly recommend RussetsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carbondale classicKellyDined on 8/10/2013I must say food in the roaring fork valley is exceptionally good for these small cowboy towns. Russets is nouveau American cuisine with exceptional meat, fish and poultry. Prepared to please both the eye and the taste buds, a nice selection to please the classic diner along with my vegan daughter. The ambience is modern, the restaurant is trendy, the dining suburb, you may well be in any trendy restaurant in any cosmopolitan area. Highly recommended, food is always excellent as well as the service. Highly recommended and always visited by us when in the valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The hostess and waitress wereOverindulgantDined on 8/9/2013The hostess and waitress were both a delight. The environment was pleasant. The richness of the sauce served over each entrée had a wonderful flavor but my system is not accustomed to such decadence. You certainly pay a handsome fee for the pleasant environment. We will not be regulars...Special Features:
- Don't miss Russet'sCCDINERVIPDined on 8/6/2013We have eaten lunch and dinner @ Russet's..it is always delicious. Our most recent visit, dinner for 6 was wonderful. Everyone loved their starters and entree"s..they included short ribs, Almond crusted red trout, carbonara, mushroom soup, kale salad and French onion soup. Our server Nora was superb..and the table shared key lime pie and light as air cheesecake for dessert..both were 10's . We would eat here at least once a week..if the restaurant was closer..it is along drive home to Aspen...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GemBriGuyDined on 8/6/2013This is the third time I have had dinner there in the last 12 months. Very happy all three times. Be certain to try the five mushroom soup for starters. They do a fantastic job with fresh seafood with sauces that blend beautifully with the selection. The price is about 25% to 50% below what you would spend in Aspen and the experience is far better.Special Features:
- Excellent food. Great service.Luv2eatDined on 7/30/2013Excellent food. Great service. Reasonable price for high end food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional neighborhood gemChichiVIPDined on 7/3/2013Great cocktails to start! Enjoyed the almond crusted rainbow trout with scalloped potatoes and fresh baby green beans. My husband Had the crab cakes served with the same yummy potatoes and beans. Service Wes excellent and lovely garden like outdoor setting.Special Features:
- Don't miss Russets!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2013If you are in Carbondale, dinner at Russets is a must! the staff is friendly and helpful, the food is outstanding, the attention to detail is meticulous. We never miss dinner at Russets when we are in Carbondale and we plan our visit there to include at least two dinners. And believe the hype about the mushroom soup and the fries. Don't miss them. And all is done with careful attention to specific food limitations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantLouisianagirlDined on 6/23/2013Love this restaurant for the food, ambience and service. We have chosen Russets for dinner for our first night in Carbondale two years in a row. They are open later than some other places and had our table for 8 ready. Nora, our waiter, was very helpful on what to order and the service was very, very good. The scallops were outstanding, so was the trout. Our drinks and wine were a large pour which made it an awesome experience for weary travelers. We will definitely return.
- Fathers Day DinnerAspenFoodieDined on 6/16/2013I took my dad out for Father's Day, and it was absolutely wonderful. Everything is very rich, so we ended up with a few doggie bagsSpecial Features:
- I Wanted To Lick My Plate!GlenwoodieDined on 6/8/2013I had the seared scallops and it was so good I wanted to lick my plate. MY companions had trout and halibut and there's was excellent, as well. This place also does sides well. They are not just something to fill up the plate but excellent dishes alone. The kale salad was surprisingly tasty and filling. Grill artichoke and mozarella/roasted pepper app were good, but not great. Bread is very good and fresh. The service was adequate, but rarely shines here. That was the case this time, as well. Dinner for 3 with drinks ran about $180 with tip.Special Features:
- The food was paced well. YoukarlyVIPDined on 6/7/2013The food was paced well. You should be more generous with the bread, especially when ordering an appetizer that goes well bread. The baguette slices are too small. I was surprised to have my silverware and appetizer plates not replaced after the appetizers. The Cajun ribeye was wonderful and the salads were significant in size. The trout dish was tasty, but not too appealing to the eye. Creme brulee cheesecake & Key Lime Pie Yum! We all loved the warm feeling of the space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously small portions . . .OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/3/2013The atmosphere is wonderful, the service was okay and the food was fine - what there was of it. The portions were extremely small, particularly the side dishes - they looked more like garnishes than something to compliment the meal. This was our first time at Russets and although most of our friends no longer go there because of the price/quality/serving size ratio, we might give it a second try - if we're not particularly hungry.Special Features:
- Nice environment and lively barBillTVIPDined on 3/6/2013The ambiance is nice and the booths are comfortable for a small group or romantic dinner. The bar is large and active. Food quality was good but pricing is a bit high for some of the items. Service was pleasant but I believe that she may have had too many tables at one time which affected overall service level. If you are in Carbondale I would recommend trying Russets.Special Features:
- After a previous visit 12siffDined on 2/23/2013After a previous visit 12 months ago, we were excited to revisit Russets. And we were greatly disappointed. My companion had raved about the lamb shank at our last visit, but this time it was very tough. I ordered the bay scallops, which were light, delicate and marvelous, but I only had about 2 oz of potato, and 2½ broccoli florets as a side. After finishing the entree, I honestly was still hungry. But perhaps the most disturbing aspect of our visit was our server. She was mechanical to the point of being robotic. She never looked directly at us when speaking to us. She couldn't offer any additional information when asked about any of the entrees than what was printed on the menu. There are better options in Carbondale.Special Features:
- I regret that I have but oneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013I regret that I have but one stoumach to take to Russets. One must never have a meal there without starting with Lobster Bisque. It is its own food group. Whatever you choose to follow will be equally stellar.Special Features:
- This is our favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/15/2013This is our favorite restaurant in Carbondale. We were very pleased when we made a request on the open table comments and it was fulfilled. Thanks for always excellent service.Special Features:
- Always a good meal. ReliableFoodieVIPDined on 1/27/2013Always a good meal. Reliable down valley restaurant.Special Features:
- We had a large crowd for aOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/9/2013We had a large crowd for a company birthday party. Our waitress was great. The always had a smile on her face and she interacted with all of us. She had great manners and took care of everyone's needs. She paid great attention to our table. We tried several of the appetizers, they were all just wonderful tasting. The main course meals were all fabulous, everyone loved their meals. For dessert, we tried one of each. The we all just amazing. As we were leaving, several of the employees thanked us for coming.We dont have one bad thing to say about Russets. We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Great Job!!!Special Features:
- We eat at Russetts frequentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012We eat at Russetts frequently and find the food and service wonderful.Special Features:
- In town for Christmas withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012In town for Christmas with my two adult children. Was looking for a nice quiet place to have Christmas dinner with some ambiance, good food, but not too expensive. This place met all my expectations and more. The food was delicious, great service, nice atmosphere. We greatly enjoyed our Christmas dinner !!Special Features:
- Russets has got it down.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012Russets has got it down. In a world where most businesses seem to have forgotten about the customer, Russets shines !!! If you want to feel special as well as feel good about spending your hard earned money go to Russets, the food and service is is among the best in the valley.Special Features:
- I have mixed feelings aboutOhKayDined on 12/14/2012I have mixed feelings about the dinner we had at Russets. The restaurant itself was very nice, great atmosphere and ambiance. However, the server we had seemed to be totally disengaged, not very interactive, but I should note that other servers seemed to be much more outgoing and personable. We ordered two entrees: chicken breast in an apricot and gargonzola cheese sauce and spaghetti carbonara. The chicken was outstanding, the spaghetti was very plain, almost bland, and lacked any interesting flavors. Although both my husband and I mentioned how disappointed we were in the dish, nothing was offered to offset this (i.e. take the dish off the bill, free desert, etc.). It was a little pricey, but I was willing to pay for the ambiance.Special Features:
- It is hard to get me to giveOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/30/2012It is hard to get me to give a 'thumbs up' for lobster bisque....but this one is fabulous! canceled a dinner in Aspen to eat here two nights in a row!Special Features:
- Everything was perfect fromOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012Everything was perfect from the greeting at the door, introduction of our waitress, to the desert. Everything about this classical small town, upscale restaurant screams perfection. They want you to have the best experience of your life and you will feel like you are the most important person on the planet while in the presence of their five star staff. Kudos to Susan, Linda and to our exceptional waitress, Kat.Special Features:
- Bland and unoriginalMoutainLoverDined on 10/19/2012Overall, the food was bland and unoriginal, not to mention overpriced. It's too bad 689 is closIng because the prices there are warranted all around. Don't waste your time or money at russets, save it for phat Thai, Tempernillo, or The Pullman.Special Features:
- I have dined here on a fewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012I have dined here on a few occasions and always had a good meal. I grew up on the Louisiana/Texas border so I know a little bit about Gumbo..DO NOT ORDER IT. The farthest thing from Gumbo I've had. It was like eating a dark heavy roux. Everything else was just fine.Special Features:
- We were recommended this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2012We were recommended this place by the owner of the cabin we rented. The food was just fair. Nothing amazing. The appetizer crab cakes were cold in the middle. Our waiter never came back to check on us whether the food was ok or not. Pretty expensive for Carbondale, more inline with Aspen food prices but not Aspen quality. The decor is really dated. But then so is the music they play - mostly 80-90s easy listening/love songs. However most o the clientele were over 65 so it obviously suits them. Wish we had tried Six89 instead.
- Excellent ChoiceBobBDined on 10/9/2012This is just a really nice restaurant, serving good food at moderate prices. We drove up from Glenwood Springs -- about 10 miles -- and were not disappointed in any way. If you are reading this and thinking about where to go, Russets should make your short list. ps: The bartender makes a very good martini!Special Features: