1521 Spruce St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://russetphilly.com/
- Phone: 2155461521x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Wood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Russet
An ingredient-driven BYOB restaurant dedicated to serving seasonally available local products with a focused, but constantly evolving menu reflecting the best meats and produce from our region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Russet reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)neighborhood gem (65)romantic (60)special occasion (42)good for groups (21)great for brunch (11)hot spot (3)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- JmuzzDined on 9/28/2014Food was very well prepared and fresh, good mix of flavors. Nice atmosphere for Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- Loved it (again)TimmDined on 9/20/2014This was my second time at Russet, and it did not disappoint. The menu was brand new (the day after restaurant week ended) and all of the food had been delivered that day. Our server Rory was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. The ambiance is really great - dim but not too dark and a well-appointed dining room. A great choice to take an out-of-town guest ... they'll think you know all the great, undiscovered spots!Special Features:
- FantasticztecDined on 9/19/2014Went here for restaurant week and was not disappointed. The food was all delicious, and it's BYOB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing 4 Restaurant WeekAfrhDined on 9/19/2014Awesome service, ambiance, and food. Went with a group of 6 total (reservation), we were almost 30 minutes late, but they were super friendly about it. Food was stellar: sweet corn ravioli, moist salmon with braised veggies. (The dessert, brown butter almond cake, was OK.) We just raved and raved about that corn ravioli and the fish in cream sauce. There was a misunderstanding about whether you could substitute a cheese plate for dessert, and we were supposed to pay more than we actually did--they ended up kindly knocking $10+ off our total tab with a gentle reminder for future reference. I am definitely not entreating others to repeat the mistake, but in return for their favor I'm recommending this restaurant to everyone! Russet rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week must!loveitDined on 9/17/2014My first time there was for September 2014 restaurant week. The food was amazing! Ravioli was insanely good! Highly recommend. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/17/2014first time there would definitely return - good was very good great serviceSpecial Features:
- Leaves something to be desiredZ360voltsDined on 9/16/2014Been once before when it first opened and I loved it, this time however was a different story, it was at best OK, which no place should strive for. The place was as beautiful as before, and the waitstaff was prompt, friendly, and unseen when i wanted them to be. So overall the only thing that was out of place was the food. As a short and sweet note which the 500 characters allow me, the duck i had seemed cooked in Campbell's tomato soup, and my date's eggplant dish was tasteless, and the sauce felt canned as well. The final deserts felt store bought as well, it surprises me when a chef has a small set list of dishes and can't knock it out of the park, especially when it's a very safe selection of options.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The place is small but has very nice atmosphere and leaves enough room between tables for privacy. I can't remember the name of the dish I ordered but the sauce of the dishes taste good. I am a little surprised when found out the cappuccino my friend ordered was $18 though. Just a side note for those who decided to go during restaurant week. The restaurant does not offer other dishes on their regular menu and may change the restaurant week menu published on the official restaurant week website.Special Features:
- Superb foodMhbeVIPDined on 9/14/2014Excellent locally sourced restaurant. Superb food, and ambiance, would definitely return many times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Food and service were great but the restaurant was so hot it was uncomfortable.
- Visiting PhillyCLEVEDined on 9/12/2014The waiter seemed to be untrained and naive in how to serve tables at a high quality, food conscious restaurant. We had no interaction with our waiter other than to place our order, even when we tried to talk about the characteristics of some of the dishes. We were left on our own.Special Features:
- RoochieDined on 9/12/2014Truly outstanding food and a unique atmosphere. Very romantic. Bring your own wine! The sweet corn ravioli was one of the best things I have ever eatenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- please fix the air conditioning!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/11/2014The food was lovely, but it was so hot inside it detracted from the food.Special Features:
- TemplefoodieDined on 9/11/2014Russet was beyond 5 stars. Everything exceeded my expectations. The food and service was absolutely wonderful. The ambiance was adorable, artsy, and rustic. I would dine back here in a heart beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/10/2014Food was outstanding! Very high noise level made it hard to hear.Special Features:
- Lovely & DeliciousAt181Dined on 9/9/2014What an exquisite experience. I will return as often as possible! The food is divine and the surround is beautiful. Clearly the owner/chefs care deeply about their art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!LucyVIPDined on 9/7/2014I have been wanting to try Russet for quite sometime. My husband and I decided to go for restaurant week. A true farm to table experience leaving us ready for the next visit. The pasta was so fresh. My husband had lamb and my sea bass was melt in your mouth worthy. My husband chose sherbet, and I had chocolate black raspberry semifreddo that was a taste sensation. The service was impeccable. All of the servers took care of tables so there never was a dirty plate. Dishes were also served in a timely manner. This restaurant is a must as well as on our repeat list.Special Features:
- Missed the MarkSweetToothDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I went out for a special evening and we went to Russet based on the suggestion of a friend as a great BYOB with a romantic setting. Unfortunately, it didn't meet our expectations and frankly wasn't that romantic. We went on Saturday 9/6, which happened to be a very hot and humid day / evening in Philly. The air conditioning wasn't working or the temp was set high. Service was friendly, but not completely timely. I had the trout, my wife had the duck. For some reason, it seems as though salt was the main ingredient in all of our dishes. And after sweating to death for the course of our meal we were so happy to get up and leave.Special Features:
- Go!CarolsVIPDined on 9/3/2014Delightful meal from start to finish! Ravioli and semifreddo were outstanding. Enjoyed and shared delicious salads and pastas. Brisket entree melted in your mouth! Nice that it is BYOB!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad mealVioletaDined on 8/31/2014We went several times for dinner and this last week we tried the brunch, it was as delicious as our other meals. This restaurant deserve to be in the list of one of the top in the city. It is our neighborhood gem.I recommended it to all my friends. Also is a BYO, and that makes it more desirable.The service was impeccable.Special Features:
- You have to be open to the seasonmainlinemamaVIPDined on 8/31/2014I enjoy Russet very much, I love the idea of having what is fresh and is season. My husband, who is more of a scrambled eggs and white toast kind of guy, would prefer to have a choice of something simpler. The service was great and they've added some noise abatement which helped alot. This place is like a small bookstore - the books represent the interest of the owner. It is not Amazon where you can get anything you want. Embrace the experience because the chef does a GREAT JOB!!!!!!Special Features:
- Best Brunch in Phillyfg451147Dined on 8/24/2014The menu is short and seems to changes daily, and while there are inventive dishes (super delicious), there are also basics that are executed PERFECTLY, like their buttermilk toast, pancakes, etc. I cannot remember our waitress' name for the life of me, but she was exceptional. One of my pet peeves while dining out is when you're asked 235 times, usually with a mouthful of food, if everything is okay. Our waitress checked up on us just a few times, and it was usually to bring another bottle of champagne (if there even was a corkage fee, it was minimal- love that about certain BYOBs!) The prices were reasonable, especially considering the high-caliber food and it's location. HIGHLY recommend and will be returning. Thanks, Russet!!Special Features:
- Very good food. Very poor service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014First, when we arrived, there was no one to greet/take our reservations. Finally a wait staff appeared and seated us. There was only one other table seated, but it took quite a while for our server to appear. When she did, she was not very pleasant and nor accomadating. She never took the time to pour our wine,which I noticed that the other server at other tables did. This was about the worst service we have ever experienced. I would highly recommend the food at Russet, but I would caution everyone about the terrible service. I also hope that the owner/chef would be aware of this and make some changes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- surly serverflawaterboyDined on 8/21/2014This was my last of several dinners at Russet this summer and as always the food and mood were superb; I chose a Thursday as my son accompanied us and I felt that would be a good choice for an uncrowded, leisurely dining experience. That was, indeed, the atmosphere but for some reason our primary server seemed preoccupied and annoyed as we ordered and continued to manifest this negative demeanor throughout our meal. High quality food is seriously compromised by low quality service.Special Features:
- Cool place, slow serviceKkadzDined on 8/15/2014Just be aware the service is slow, the food is awesome, though. It's a great place to relax and unwind!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- adventureous diningflawaterboyDined on 8/15/2014This was my second visit to Russet as I was anxious to see if this dining experience could match the high quality of the first. On both occasions I ordered fish which was harvested locally and cooked perfectly, served on a bed of unusual vegetables that were marvelously delicious. The food was fastidiously prepared, served promptly without fuss and the service staff were quite attentive. As a BYOB the price is very reasonable given the wonderful quality and fantastic preparation; on both occasions my wife and I were seated immediately and dined very leisurely with no feeling of "rush". The entire menu changes regularly and is limited to four or five first and second courses and we will certainly return for another fun dining adventure.Special Features:
- terrific food, erratic service146restaurantssampledVIPDined on 8/2/2014the food was spectacular! bitter chicory with sweet beets was genius. the pasta was amazing! the scallops were perfect, but I would have preferred lima beans to regular beans in the accompanying dish. However the service was sketchy. We ran out of water and were not offered more because we had purchased sparkling (normally a restaurant will offer regular tap if you finish the sparkling). The silverware was carefully removed from the beet salad and left on the table for the pasta course (because the pasta was better with beet juice?). We had to request coffee from the server because it was not offered by the waiter.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/27/2014Once I accepted the fact that the $ 35 tasting menu was not available at 2 p.m. on a Sunday (only later in the day), both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our brunch at Russet. . .Special Features:
- A Special PlacemebbyVIPDined on 7/25/2014What a treat to discover Russet on Open Table! This small and charming restaurant serves fabulous food from a menu that changes daily based on the local ingredients available. The celery vichyssoise was incredible, the duck breast sublime, and i finished my meal with the most wonderful peach and prosecco sorbet. The restaurant is on the first floor of an apartment building so you feel as if you've been invited to the chef's home. Because of the high ceilings and lack of fabric to absorb the sound, it can get quite noisy. The crowd was mostly young, and did not seem to mind the volume. Neither did I. I loved Russet and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborDined on 7/25/2014We loved the appetizers (soup and sausage pasta) but were disappointed in the mains. The duck was tough and the fish too salty. Both dishes were too complicated. It was hard to taste the "real dish" and to appreciate the flavors.Special Features:
- Great mealMikeDDined on 7/23/2014We specifically went for the "paleo" dinner, which was a fixed price with four courses. The meal was fantastic and everyone seemed to enjoy it.Special Features:
- A wonderful findTitusDined on 7/20/2014My wife and I dined at Russet on Sunday for our aniversary. We really enjoyed the vibe in the space and from our server. It is classy but casual. I especially enjoyed the 90's Indy rock that was quietly piped into the background. Service was charming. My wife order the price fix and I had parperdalle with duck liver and Tile fish. Everything was excellent. Portions were perfectly sized. We're not dessert folks but enjoyed the cheese cake and chocolate/raspberry something. We'll be back with friends who, like us, can handle the concept of a finite menu based on a farm-to-table buisness model.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MoniqueVIPDined on 7/19/2014I was recommended this place by a friend, having never heard of it before. Wow. Just wow. The food was incredible and the service was impeccable. What more could you want?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and a Great BYOBOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/8/2014This place has everything going for it. My wife and I ate here during our recent annual Philly visit. The food was excellent, service was professional and friendly. The menu is very small and changes virtually daily, depending upon what the chef finds inviting at the local markets. Located in a charming small brownstone, this is not only a great place for fresh, organic food, but a beautiful place to sit have a romantic dinner. Definitely not to be missed! This will be one pof our special go-to places every time we visit Philadelphia. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- I love this placeLvphillyVIPDined on 7/6/2014I have never had a bad meal here. The food is amazing from start to finish. Service is great as well. When Andrew is in the kitchen he always makes a point to come into the dining room to say hello to guests. Everyone feels like a vip. Can't wait to go back. I am still dreaming about the beet gazpacho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GregVIPDined on 7/4/2014Excellent dining experience; when considering farm to table none better than Russet. The four course pork tasting menu was an incredible value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First ChoiceDinerDined on 6/28/2014I moved from Portland, OR, another active foodie & restaurant scene and have found Russet to be my absolute favorite Philadelphia dining option. This farm to table cuisine is consistently consistent. The preparation truly excites the palate. Presentation style is artistic. The service is tops in my book and I have always sent a note back to the owner/chef extolling their skills and professionalism. I have been and will continue to return time and time again. Russet is my absolute go-to choice in Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gem of a place!redsonya75Dined on 6/28/2014I have been to Russet several times now and never a bad meal! Love that the tables are not too tightly packed. The service is always charming. Only place I really have dessert. Sunday prix fixe is a great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything great except:LynnDined on 6/28/2014Arrived for an early Sunday dinner. By my watch we were 3 minutes early. The server appeared a bit miffed at our early arrival. Service after however was efficient and friendly. we ordered sparkling water which is an extra charge. Our first bottle was removed before it was empty and another brought without asking us if we wanted it. The pork chop was the best that I have had in a long time. The first course clams could have had a bit more sauce. we have eaten here before and find the food always well prepared and creative.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/25/2014Ordinarily, I like dining at Russet but if they continue the way they were on Monday night, I will not go back. The waitress did not come back to the table with our wine nor the food order for 50 minutes although there were only two other tables with people. Some of the dishes we wanted to order were not available.