1521 Spruce St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://russetphilly.com/
- Phone: (215) 546-1521
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Wood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Russet
An ingredient-driven BYOB restaurant dedicated to serving seasonally available local products with a focused, but constantly evolving menu reflecting the best meats and produce from our region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Russet reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (99)neighborhood gem (75)romantic (71)special occasion (48)good for groups (22)great for brunch (15)hot spot (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Solid experienceTomasDined on 11/22/2014The atmosphere, food, and service were great overall. The clams on my starter dish were far from satisfactory which is why I went with 4 stars overall. Everything else was great though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too much saltstgelizDined on 11/22/20143 of us had dinner at Russet on Saturday. Nice small restaurant feel. The #1 issue was the food which was over salted. This included both courses for all 3 of us. We had 2 pasta dishes, salmon and pork chops. Almost unbelievably they provided salt at the table for those who needed more. The room was loud but it was Saturday night so that's to be expected.
- Great food just steps from the Kimmel CentertomyenserDined on 11/15/2014We enjoyed a delicious meal before attending a Philadelphia Orchestra performance at the Kimmel Center. We were late arriving due to traffic on the Schuylkill Expressway, but we called from the car and the staff could not have been kinder or more accommodating. Our table was ready when we arrived (about 30 minutes late). We did not feel rushed, but we were pleased that we had plenty of time to get to our seats for the concert. The food was outstanding - delicious and interesting combinations of locally grown produce. The restaurant is BYOB, so we brought along a bottle of Cabernet which the staff was happy to decant for us. We would definitely visit again, especially if we have tickets to an event at one of the concert/theater venues nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely BYOB with great first coursesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2014Russet was highly recommended to us as a great BYOB in Philly. We took our friends for a special celebration and were not disappointed. While everything was delicious, their first course pasta dishes were the highlight. The portions are small, but packed with flavor. The ravioli and duck ragu pici were personal favorites. The hands down best second course was the sea bass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, service very poorJSDCDined on 11/9/2014Really enjoyed the food at brunch at Russett: well-done eggs and pork, with a really nice chocolate dessert (the current menu on the website for brunch is out-of-date, or I'd list the exact items). The ambience is nice, also, in a lovely old rowhouse. The downside was the really terrible, effectively absent service. We arrived for brunch at 11 and left at 12:30. Of roughly 14 tables in the dining room, there were never more than 5 occupied including ours -- so this was definitely not a busy day. Nonetheless, coffee cups got empty & never refilled, more than 30 minutes passed between waitress visits, etc. I ate more quickly than my companion, and wanted to order something in addition to my main, but the waitress never showed up. A shame.Special Features:
- high hopes but very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014First off I was very excited about going to this resturant, from the street it looked cute and then come to find out its a farm to table place! The service was friendly and the menu looked great. After our amazing cheese plate was rushed by the waitress bringing out 1st course early, that's when it went down hill. The pate was chunky but tasted nice. The pumpkin ravioli was great. After being rushed, the 2nd course took 20 minutes to come out after we had finished the others. The scallops were watery and bland. The beef shoulder was tasty but salty. It was served with some type of cake that fell apart and became mush within mins. There was a beautiful green served with the beef which was lost under all the mush.
- salt was on the menufactotuminsyncDined on 11/7/2014A group of us had reservations after 8 pm on a recent Friday. We were promptly seated and noticed the place was bustling yet the ambiance was pleasant. Some of us had the same dishes, in this case duck breast and scallops. The consensus was as follows: both dishes were prepared well with the exception of the sauces. In each case, were saltier than needed. Maybe it was an isolated event because we would like to give it another chance given the establishment's reputation.
- Just meh.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2014The food was just okay, and our server was very pleasant but seemed to forget about us tho we let her know we had a show to go to and had to watch the time...
- A GemdedinesoutDined on 11/6/2014Second time dining here. Late arrival because of traffic delays. Informed the server that we had just a short time to enjoy our meal before leaving for concert. The service was excellent, with well timed arrivals of the two courses we had selected, and we were able to finish a delightful meal in time to make our concert. The food is so good that it is hard to find the right superlatives to describe it, so I won't even try. We will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightMollDollDined on 11/5/2014We had a wonderful time at Russet to celebrate my sister's birthday. I love how small the place is and the decor is cozy and pleasing. We had three appetizers and couldn't agree which was best! My salmon was delicious and the duck fans at the table were impressed. I would definitely go back for another special occasion.Special Features:
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/2/2014Every dish was prepared with great care. The seafood stew was delicious but the broth was on the salty side.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceATHTDined on 11/1/2014We had lots of great food at Russet. They seemed to have booked too aggressively the night we were there--we had to wait 20 minutes for a table, had to wait another 15 just to get water, and then were pretty much on our own the rest of the night. We had to flag down our server for anything we wanted--she never checked in--and we waited way too long between courses.
- sublimeX4meVIPDined on 11/1/2014We were a party of 4 looking forward to trying Russet for our first time. Our evening started out poorly. We were seated about 2 feet away from the doorway. Disappointment #1. There should not even be a table where we were seated. It was drafty and cold and people were looming over us waiting for their tables. The lights kept dimming because people were leaning against the dimmer switch waiting for a table. Our waitress had difficulty serving us in this location. The food, although good, was not great. I would not recommend this restaurant or return.
- Loved RussetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014My friends took me here for my birthday and I loved it! There were 5 of us so we ordered all of the appetizers, most of the main courses, and all of the desserts to share. Every single dish was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/25/2014Excellent experience. Food was great but service topped all. Very collaborative staff. Food as good as what we have in San Francisco with service that is betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodMefzDined on 10/24/2014We love this place, it's our go to! My only complaint would be sometimes the service is pretty slow, but the food is so worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantMilinhoDined on 10/24/2014The food and service was fantastic. The pumpkin oarfait was delicious, as was the ricotta ravioli. Definitely a great spot for dates or dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/24/2014Limited menu, but what they do is very good and the prices are excellent. Also BYOBSpecial Features:
- second time not a charmmbf6288VIPDined on 10/18/2014Took some suburb friends to Russet this weekend. We all has first courses, mine was speck which was outstanding. others had speck and 2 pasta dishes. Entrees, 1 had pork chop and raved about it, 1 had the halibut and said it was great. The issue-the steaks. The waiter was over the top enthusiastic about it, and knowing the background of ownership, 2 of us ordered the steak the recommended Medium Rare. Steak was cooked correctly, but that's it. Large amount of fat and the steak was tough even though it was MR. I wasn't going to make a big deal about it, we were both frustrated. Decided that when waiter came by to check on how things were going, I would mention it. Waiter never came by. By check time we didn't bother. Disappointed
- go if you dont want choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/18/2014Very charming spot but only 5 entrees to choose from which change daily. Waitress was unable to explain how each was prepared. Reservation was t 7:45. Sat immediately. We were a party of 4. 2 of the 4 ordered the steak. Waitress came back and said they only had one left. We took it. It was nothing but mouths full of FAT. Obviously they had tried to salvage the last portion they had in the kitchen to be able to sell...It should have been and was tossed after I sent it back. By the time my second choice of entrée came to me.. the others were completely finished. If you cant have enough food for a 30 seat restaurant with an early reservation, how do you expect to stay in business?Special Features:
- Truly Great Experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I was here with my girlfriend; she had dined before while this was my first time. I thought the dining room was very nice and quaint...cozy but not tight. Miles was our server and balanced a friendly attitude with an appropriate knowledge of the menu. We really enjoyed having him take care of us. Our appetizers were very good - I thought the grapes in the radicchio salad were not enjoyable to eat because of the seeds, but my girlfriend thought otherwise so I guess that's a wash. The pappardelle was amazing, the halibut cooked perfectly, and the pumpkin budino something uniquely delicious neither of us had experienced before. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/14/2014A truly excellent restaurant! Good is consistently excellent and innovative. Service is the right bAlance knowing when to be solisitous and when to leave you alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular mealMargaretVIPDined on 10/14/2014What a beautiful, elegant dining experience - much appreciated! The entire meal, from appetizers to dessert, was delicious, healthy and intriguing. We found ourselves over and over again scooping up the sauce with a spoon... Clearly, there is more than one genius in the kitchen! Russet is a welcome relief from typical high-decibel Philadelphia restaurants. We were actually able to hear our conversation. What a concept!!!!! The vibe is like eating in an elegant, old world mansion. Don't know if it was just our waitress or if the entire wait staff has been trained to be thoroughly welcoming, pleasant and unpretentious....Special Features:
- Great BYO with Fabulous FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014This restaurant was a great BYO find. The food was all fresh, with great ingredients that mixed flavors well to make for an outstanding dining experience. That experience was enhanced by the fact that the restaurant is a BYOB. Great for groups (we had 9), with an eclectic, fresh menu. Everything was outstanding and we all cleaned our plates - of our 1st, 2nd and dessert courses! Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Delicious!1EZPass1VIPDined on 10/11/2014Hubby and I took a friend from out of town on Saturday night. Friend is a vegetarian. The entire menu changes daily, so no menu online to check. Talked with hostess on the phone and their offerings were way above your standard restaurant vegetarian fare of pasta with sautéed veggies. Friend was THRILLED with her app & main. Our dishes were REALLY original and creative (can't remember exactly what we had. Sorry!). I do remember the chicken roulade was delicious over an amazing combination of beans, kale and other stuff. Lots of umami flavor! Our waitress was serving a private party in the other room which meant there were some long wait times in between courses. She was very nice though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GregVIPDined on 10/11/2014Not fancy or overly hyped dishes; just perfectly prepaired, exceptional marriage of flavors; farm to table at it's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous findMikeDined on 10/10/2014We Googled and took a chance on Russet before a performance at the Academy. What a fortunate find! The menu changes daily with creative and delicious offerings. The staff was pleasant and attentive, and the atmosphere allowed comfortable conversation. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic french countryside cuisineMefzDined on 10/9/2014This is our go to spot! Fresh new menu every week with local organic ingredients. Fantastic romantic atmosphere, a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Nitecooksj746Dined on 10/9/2014We have dined at Russet at least five times so far. Always an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Great sevice.AlwaysFreshDined on 10/4/2014Party of four for brunch. Food fresh and balanced. Not a crumb left on plates. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexBVIPDined on 10/2/2014We arrived for our dinner a bit early finding an empty restaurant, a pleasant surprise for what was meant to be an intimate birthday meal. I knew the BYOB wasn't on many's radar, but should be. Our friendly waitress told us more reservations would arrive shortly. We asked about a tasting menu, and told that though it wasn't on the menu, $65 for 7 courses. Our courses included; boar pancetta, squid in ink pasta, shrimp over succotash, cauliflower gnocchi in brown butter, halibut, duck, dessert. All of the dishes were pretty good, the gnocchi perhaps being the standout. The pacing of the dishes was good, not letting us linger too long. I'm not sure we could have asked for a better birthday meal. I would definitely return and recommend Russet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious weeknight diningSeriousAboutDessertVIPDined on 9/30/2014My party of three wanted to order everything on the menu, it was hard to choose! The menu is divided into traditional 2 course sections, so it was kind of a relief from the small plates kind of restaurant. I had smoked fish on succotash to start and a perfectly prepared pork chop for my main. I thought my apple Napoleon was great, crispy pastry and butterscotch sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JmuzzDined on 9/28/2014Food was very well prepared and fresh, good mix of flavors. Nice atmosphere for Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- Best brunchLPowellDined on 9/28/2014Good was original and excellent. We celebrated a birthday with Sunday brunch and was happy with the entire meal! Staff was attentive and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it (again)TimmDined on 9/20/2014This was my second time at Russet, and it did not disappoint. The menu was brand new (the day after restaurant week ended) and all of the food had been delivered that day. Our server Rory was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. The ambiance is really great - dim but not too dark and a well-appointed dining room. A great choice to take an out-of-town guest ... they'll think you know all the great, undiscovered spots!Special Features:
- FantasticztecDined on 9/19/2014Went here for restaurant week and was not disappointed. The food was all delicious, and it's BYOB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing 4 Restaurant WeekAfrhDined on 9/19/2014Awesome service, ambiance, and food. Went with a group of 6 total (reservation), we were almost 30 minutes late, but they were super friendly about it. Food was stellar: sweet corn ravioli, moist salmon with braised veggies. (The dessert, brown butter almond cake, was OK.) We just raved and raved about that corn ravioli and the fish in cream sauce. There was a misunderstanding about whether you could substitute a cheese plate for dessert, and we were supposed to pay more than we actually did--they ended up kindly knocking $10+ off our total tab with a gentle reminder for future reference. I am definitely not entreating others to repeat the mistake, but in return for their favor I'm recommending this restaurant to everyone! Russet rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week must!loveitDined on 9/17/2014My first time there was for September 2014 restaurant week. The food was amazing! Ravioli was insanely good! Highly recommend. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/17/2014first time there would definitely return - good was very good great serviceSpecial Features:
- Leaves something to be desiredZ360voltsDined on 9/16/2014Been once before when it first opened and I loved it, this time however was a different story, it was at best OK, which no place should strive for. The place was as beautiful as before, and the waitstaff was prompt, friendly, and unseen when i wanted them to be. So overall the only thing that was out of place was the food. As a short and sweet note which the 500 characters allow me, the duck i had seemed cooked in Campbell's tomato soup, and my date's eggplant dish was tasteless, and the sauce felt canned as well. The final deserts felt store bought as well, it surprises me when a chef has a small set list of dishes and can't knock it out of the park, especially when it's a very safe selection of options.Special Features: