1521 Spruce St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://russetphilly.com/
- Phone: 2155461521x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Wood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Russet
An ingredient-driven BYOB restaurant dedicated to serving seasonally available local products with a focused, but constantly evolving menu reflecting the best meats and produce from our region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Russet reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (91)neighborhood gem (72)romantic (71)special occasion (46)good for groups (24)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Loved RussetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014My friends took me here for my birthday and I loved it! There were 5 of us so we ordered all of the appetizers, most of the main courses, and all of the desserts to share. Every single dish was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/25/2014Excellent experience. Food was great but service topped all. Very collaborative staff. Food as good as what we have in San Francisco with service that is betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodMefzDined on 10/24/2014We love this place, it's our go to! My only complaint would be sometimes the service is pretty slow, but the food is so worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantMilinhoDined on 10/24/2014The food and service was fantastic. The pumpkin oarfait was delicious, as was the ricotta ravioli. Definitely a great spot for dates or dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/24/2014Limited menu, but what they do is very good and the prices are excellent. Also BYOBSpecial Features:
- second time not a charmmbf6288VIPDined on 10/18/2014Took some suburb friends to Russet this weekend. We all has first courses, mine was speck which was outstanding. others had speck and 2 pasta dishes. Entrees, 1 had pork chop and raved about it, 1 had the halibut and said it was great. The issue-the steaks. The waiter was over the top enthusiastic about it, and knowing the background of ownership, 2 of us ordered the steak the recommended Medium Rare. Steak was cooked correctly, but that's it. Large amount of fat and the steak was tough even though it was MR. I wasn't going to make a big deal about it, we were both frustrated. Decided that when waiter came by to check on how things were going, I would mention it. Waiter never came by. By check time we didn't bother. Disappointed
- go if you dont want choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/18/2014Very charming spot but only 5 entrees to choose from which change daily. Waitress was unable to explain how each was prepared. Reservation was t 7:45. Sat immediately. We were a party of 4. 2 of the 4 ordered the steak. Waitress came back and said they only had one left. We took it. It was nothing but mouths full of FAT. Obviously they had tried to salvage the last portion they had in the kitchen to be able to sell...It should have been and was tossed after I sent it back. By the time my second choice of entrée came to me.. the others were completely finished. If you cant have enough food for a 30 seat restaurant with an early reservation, how do you expect to stay in business?Special Features:
- Truly Great Experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I was here with my girlfriend; she had dined before while this was my first time. I thought the dining room was very nice and quaint...cozy but not tight. Miles was our server and balanced a friendly attitude with an appropriate knowledge of the menu. We really enjoyed having him take care of us. Our appetizers were very good - I thought the grapes in the radicchio salad were not enjoyable to eat because of the seeds, but my girlfriend thought otherwise so I guess that's a wash. The pappardelle was amazing, the halibut cooked perfectly, and the pumpkin budino something uniquely delicious neither of us had experienced before. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/14/2014A truly excellent restaurant! Good is consistently excellent and innovative. Service is the right bAlance knowing when to be solisitous and when to leave you alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular mealMargaretVIPDined on 10/14/2014What a beautiful, elegant dining experience - much appreciated! The entire meal, from appetizers to dessert, was delicious, healthy and intriguing. We found ourselves over and over again scooping up the sauce with a spoon... Clearly, there is more than one genius in the kitchen! Russet is a welcome relief from typical high-decibel Philadelphia restaurants. We were actually able to hear our conversation. What a concept!!!!! The vibe is like eating in an elegant, old world mansion. Don't know if it was just our waitress or if the entire wait staff has been trained to be thoroughly welcoming, pleasant and unpretentious....Special Features:
- Great BYO with Fabulous FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014This restaurant was a great BYO find. The food was all fresh, with great ingredients that mixed flavors well to make for an outstanding dining experience. That experience was enhanced by the fact that the restaurant is a BYOB. Great for groups (we had 9), with an eclectic, fresh menu. Everything was outstanding and we all cleaned our plates - of our 1st, 2nd and dessert courses! Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Delicious!1EZPass1VIPDined on 10/11/2014Hubby and I took a friend from out of town on Saturday night. Friend is a vegetarian. The entire menu changes daily, so no menu online to check. Talked with hostess on the phone and their offerings were way above your standard restaurant vegetarian fare of pasta with sautéed veggies. Friend was THRILLED with her app & main. Our dishes were REALLY original and creative (can't remember exactly what we had. Sorry!). I do remember the chicken roulade was delicious over an amazing combination of beans, kale and other stuff. Lots of umami flavor! Our waitress was serving a private party in the other room which meant there were some long wait times in between courses. She was very nice though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GregVIPDined on 10/11/2014Not fancy or overly hyped dishes; just perfectly prepaired, exceptional marriage of flavors; farm to table at it's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous findMikeDined on 10/10/2014We Googled and took a chance on Russet before a performance at the Academy. What a fortunate find! The menu changes daily with creative and delicious offerings. The staff was pleasant and attentive, and the atmosphere allowed comfortable conversation. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic french countryside cuisineMefzDined on 10/9/2014This is our go to spot! Fresh new menu every week with local organic ingredients. Fantastic romantic atmosphere, a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Nitecooksj746Dined on 10/9/2014We have dined at Russet at least five times so far. Always an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Great sevice.AlwaysFreshDined on 10/4/2014Party of four for brunch. Food fresh and balanced. Not a crumb left on plates. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexBVIPDined on 10/2/2014We arrived for our dinner a bit early finding an empty restaurant, a pleasant surprise for what was meant to be an intimate birthday meal. I knew the BYOB wasn't on many's radar, but should be. Our friendly waitress told us more reservations would arrive shortly. We asked about a tasting menu, and told that though it wasn't on the menu, $65 for 7 courses. Our courses included; boar pancetta, squid in ink pasta, shrimp over succotash, cauliflower gnocchi in brown butter, halibut, duck, dessert. All of the dishes were pretty good, the gnocchi perhaps being the standout. The pacing of the dishes was good, not letting us linger too long. I'm not sure we could have asked for a better birthday meal. I would definitely return and recommend Russet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious weeknight diningSeriousAboutDessertVIPDined on 9/30/2014My party of three wanted to order everything on the menu, it was hard to choose! The menu is divided into traditional 2 course sections, so it was kind of a relief from the small plates kind of restaurant. I had smoked fish on succotash to start and a perfectly prepared pork chop for my main. I thought my apple Napoleon was great, crispy pastry and butterscotch sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JmuzzDined on 9/28/2014Food was very well prepared and fresh, good mix of flavors. Nice atmosphere for Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- Best brunchLPowellDined on 9/28/2014Good was original and excellent. We celebrated a birthday with Sunday brunch and was happy with the entire meal! Staff was attentive and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it (again)TimmDined on 9/20/2014This was my second time at Russet, and it did not disappoint. The menu was brand new (the day after restaurant week ended) and all of the food had been delivered that day. Our server Rory was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. The ambiance is really great - dim but not too dark and a well-appointed dining room. A great choice to take an out-of-town guest ... they'll think you know all the great, undiscovered spots!Special Features:
- FantasticztecDined on 9/19/2014Went here for restaurant week and was not disappointed. The food was all delicious, and it's BYOB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing 4 Restaurant WeekAfrhDined on 9/19/2014Awesome service, ambiance, and food. Went with a group of 6 total (reservation), we were almost 30 minutes late, but they were super friendly about it. Food was stellar: sweet corn ravioli, moist salmon with braised veggies. (The dessert, brown butter almond cake, was OK.) We just raved and raved about that corn ravioli and the fish in cream sauce. There was a misunderstanding about whether you could substitute a cheese plate for dessert, and we were supposed to pay more than we actually did--they ended up kindly knocking $10+ off our total tab with a gentle reminder for future reference. I am definitely not entreating others to repeat the mistake, but in return for their favor I'm recommending this restaurant to everyone! Russet rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week must!loveitDined on 9/17/2014My first time there was for September 2014 restaurant week. The food was amazing! Ravioli was insanely good! Highly recommend. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/17/2014first time there would definitely return - good was very good great serviceSpecial Features:
- Leaves something to be desiredZ360voltsDined on 9/16/2014Been once before when it first opened and I loved it, this time however was a different story, it was at best OK, which no place should strive for. The place was as beautiful as before, and the waitstaff was prompt, friendly, and unseen when i wanted them to be. So overall the only thing that was out of place was the food. As a short and sweet note which the 500 characters allow me, the duck i had seemed cooked in Campbell's tomato soup, and my date's eggplant dish was tasteless, and the sauce felt canned as well. The final deserts felt store bought as well, it surprises me when a chef has a small set list of dishes and can't knock it out of the park, especially when it's a very safe selection of options.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The place is small but has very nice atmosphere and leaves enough room between tables for privacy. I can't remember the name of the dish I ordered but the sauce of the dishes taste good. I am a little surprised when found out the cappuccino my friend ordered was $18 though. Just a side note for those who decided to go during restaurant week. The restaurant does not offer other dishes on their regular menu and may change the restaurant week menu published on the official restaurant week website.Special Features:
- Superb foodMhbeVIPDined on 9/14/2014Excellent locally sourced restaurant. Superb food, and ambiance, would definitely return many times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Food and service were great but the restaurant was so hot it was uncomfortable.
- Visiting PhillyCLEVEDined on 9/12/2014The waiter seemed to be untrained and naive in how to serve tables at a high quality, food conscious restaurant. We had no interaction with our waiter other than to place our order, even when we tried to talk about the characteristics of some of the dishes. We were left on our own.Special Features:
- RoochieDined on 9/12/2014Truly outstanding food and a unique atmosphere. Very romantic. Bring your own wine! The sweet corn ravioli was one of the best things I have ever eatenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- please fix the air conditioning!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/11/2014The food was lovely, but it was so hot inside it detracted from the food.Special Features:
- TemplefoodieDined on 9/11/2014Russet was beyond 5 stars. Everything exceeded my expectations. The food and service was absolutely wonderful. The ambiance was adorable, artsy, and rustic. I would dine back here in a heart beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/10/2014Food was outstanding! Very high noise level made it hard to hear.Special Features:
- Lovely & DeliciousAt181Dined on 9/9/2014What an exquisite experience. I will return as often as possible! The food is divine and the surround is beautiful. Clearly the owner/chefs care deeply about their art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!LucyVIPDined on 9/7/2014I have been wanting to try Russet for quite sometime. My husband and I decided to go for restaurant week. A true farm to table experience leaving us ready for the next visit. The pasta was so fresh. My husband had lamb and my sea bass was melt in your mouth worthy. My husband chose sherbet, and I had chocolate black raspberry semifreddo that was a taste sensation. The service was impeccable. All of the servers took care of tables so there never was a dirty plate. Dishes were also served in a timely manner. This restaurant is a must as well as on our repeat list.Special Features:
- Missed the MarkSweetToothDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I went out for a special evening and we went to Russet based on the suggestion of a friend as a great BYOB with a romantic setting. Unfortunately, it didn't meet our expectations and frankly wasn't that romantic. We went on Saturday 9/6, which happened to be a very hot and humid day / evening in Philly. The air conditioning wasn't working or the temp was set high. Service was friendly, but not completely timely. I had the trout, my wife had the duck. For some reason, it seems as though salt was the main ingredient in all of our dishes. And after sweating to death for the course of our meal we were so happy to get up and leave.Special Features:
- Go!CarolsVIPDined on 9/3/2014Delightful meal from start to finish! Ravioli and semifreddo were outstanding. Enjoyed and shared delicious salads and pastas. Brisket entree melted in your mouth! Nice that it is BYOB!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad mealVioletaDined on 8/31/2014We went several times for dinner and this last week we tried the brunch, it was as delicious as our other meals. This restaurant deserve to be in the list of one of the top in the city. It is our neighborhood gem.I recommended it to all my friends. Also is a BYO, and that makes it more desirable.The service was impeccable.Special Features: