1422 Larimer St.
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.russellssmokehouse.com/
- Phone: (720) 524-8050
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Frank Bonanno
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact our event coordinator, Emily Schwartz, for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Emily Schwartz 3035251702x
A word from Russell's Smokehouse
Russell’s Smokehouse is a nod to an early time, to the spirit of the West and the cowboy tradition of cooking over a slow, low flame. Our specialty is not in the sauce (which is why we don't call it barbecue), but in the rich smoke and the method of cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Russell's Smokehouse reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (19)good for groups (18)neighborhood gem (13)hot spot (9)special occasion (8)late-night find (7)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/29/2014What more can I say... be sure not this miss this neighborhood gem. If you're looking for a different twist on the BBQ experience be sure to stop by. Our group tried and shared a variety of apps, mains, and dessert! Just wish we weren't so full - we are ready for more!Special Features:
- Best BBQ in ColoradoDmbryDined on 3/28/2014I lived in North Carolina for 20 years, and I know good BBQ. This place is hands down the best you will find. The ribs were perfect. Best grilled chicken I've ever had. Brisket to die for. The sides are 10/10. Don't for get to save room for the pie from Wednesdays mind blowing! Bonnano brothers ( parent company) are setting new standards for the Denver area, with quality ingredients and you can tell the chefs are highly trained and very talented. Check out all of their restruants you will be suprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatest service in the cityChrisJDined on 3/22/2014First time there for a special date night with the wife. The food was pretty good, but the service was outstanding. Best I've ever had. They were quick, friendly, and very helpful. It's amazing to still see some of our youth with such exceptional manners. Treated like royalty by not only the waiter but the chiefs too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth it!DPF816VIPDined on 3/19/2014My husband and I were sorely disappointed with our dining experience at Russell's. Our server (Jason, I believe) was one of the worst we've encountered. He was arrogant and condescending, and he made it clear that he did not care about serving us. The food was equally poor. The meats had no smoke ring, and all we could taste was artificial smoke seasoning and liquid smoke. The sides were bland and certainly not worth the $6 price tag. The cornbread came out dry and extremely hard. We sent it back to the kitchen, but the chef said that the replacement would be the same, but perhaps the center would be less dry. We were really hoping for high quality food given the location and the ownership. Unfortunately, Russell's did not deliver.
- The food was good, but theDaveDined on 2/27/2014The food was good, but the quantity was small and the price was high.Special Features:
- Amazing food!DaveMDined on 2/26/2014Food was awesome I was there during restaurant week, and I will definitely be going back to try the regular menu sometime.Special Features:
- DeliciousMJW9Dined on 2/25/2014The service was fantastic and the food was very good. I had the pork shoulder which was served with a really good slaw. Terrific flavor mix!
- The restaurant doesn't haveEdWhDined on 2/22/2014The restaurant doesn't have much ambience--it's much like a diner, and it's downstairs in a basement. BUT, the food was outstanding, and the service was fine (esp. considering we were there on the first night of Denver Restaurant Week). They have some interesting beers but not a huge selection--I didn't look at the wine selection. The place reminds me of some restaurants in NYC where the restaurant is in an old building with not much ambience but the food is really good--in a way, it had some character to it. The place was described somewhere as having a "western" theme, and maybe there was some occasional western art, but not much. We had the trout appetizer, brisket entre, salmon entre, and ribs entre, and it was all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner in Denver.Ktshea02Dined on 2/21/2014Visiting from Atlanta. Great food and service. The brussel sprouts with pork belly were amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fooddunntmVIPDined on 2/15/2014Food was good, but spent most of my meal wondering where the waiter was and why there was not a drink on my table.Special Features:
- Just averagerojobubblesDined on 2/14/2014Food was good but a bit overpriced. The service could have been better. Probably won't be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Twice the niceJoesicknessDined on 2/13/2014With Russell's Smokehouse and its "secret" companion The Green Russell, you get two special treats in one expierence. The liquor selections at The Green Russell are limited to the "prohibition era" type drinks, but that somewhat adds to the expierence. Not sure why the same rules apply to the bar in the smokehouse, but they do get very creative with them. The food choices are limited, but what most people don't understand is that is how you do WHAT YOU DO well, and Russell's does put attention to quality and detail in their food. There is a good deal of noise in both places, but I assume that is due to the structures being underground, surrounded & covered with cement (not the best for absorbing noises). Still an excellent expierence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place tucked away in LarimerRWhiteDenDined on 2/11/2014I booked a group of 4 in to Russell's ahead of the Pepsi Center concert for Simon & Sting. We seated early and found the Happy Hour menu perfect to start our evening. The BBQ sandwich and side ribs were excellent; the cole slaw light and tasty, and the local draft beer selection was supurb. I would definitely recommend this place for Happy Hour or a casual dinner meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverallPerfectLunchMeetingDined on 1/29/2014The food was fantastic! The staff was very attentive throughout the meal and brought our food to us piping hot and in a timely manner. It was crowded, but the noise level wasn't such that you had to yell to the people you were sitting with - just a comfortable atmosphere. I definitely will continue to visit and will tell all of my friends about it. A hidden gem!Special Features:
- Outstanding BBQCarwizzelDined on 1/25/2014I have been here twice and both times it was amazing. Ribs are fall off the bone goodness and the mac and cheese is the best I've ever had. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Thanks for putting up with us! :)itshiptobeclaireDined on 1/25/2014Groups of 8 are hard to wrangle, but our server was excellent and friendly, the food was great, and the whole family enjoyed our rare night out together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodipassgasDined on 1/18/2014Highly recommend this place. Great meats. My wife loved the salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super YummyjuliejuliejulieVIPDined on 1/15/2014i am not a BBQ freak but we went here for a business team dinner. It was AMAZING. We had five people and shared the family style platter and one extra piece of the special Prime Rib. We have a few big eaters and it was plenty for everyone and we had leftovers. Cool atmosphere, great service, and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best thing evermattDined on 1/15/2014I went to this restaurant on a recommendation from a co-worker. I already love BBQ so I was set up for success. This was probably the best BBQ I've ever had. Everything was fresh, the service was great and personal. Facilities were clean. Everything was priced just right. Nothing was too greasy like most BBQ restaurants. Finally!Special Features:
- Texas Charm with Great ServiceKWhitcherDined on 1/3/2014The food was very good and the service was even better. Glad to find a place with good food, great service, and a little of that Texas Hill Country flavor. Good for casual dining with a couple or a group. Will definitely go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but a bit overpricedtasteclassyDined on 12/31/2013Went there New Years and was surprised how un-busy it was. So service was good, and the food was great. But for what you get barbeque, the prices seemed to be a bit overpriced. The beer was moderately priced though so that was nice. I got a kielbasa and macaroni that was great but $18... Seems a little steep I would say. But I would probably go back, I was trying to be cheap this New Years and skip the steakhouse so that was achieved. Now I have more money for Vegas this week...Special Features:
- Great ExperienceCingwalsonDined on 12/31/2013Food was wonderful and the cocktail menu, including happy hour specials was top notch. Great location and a fun, laid back ambiance. We tried 6 different meals and appetizers and the only item we didn't love was the pigs in the blanket.Special Features:
- Best part of the meal wasPambDined on 12/31/2013Best part of the meal was the Brussels Sprouts & Pretzel Bites. The ribs & sides were good but not great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmmm, tastyBettyDined on 12/19/2013If you like BBQ, this is a great place. I loved the authentic smoke favors. You get hefty portions and lots of 'southern' inspired sides. We enjoyed the bartenders concoctions. Beer selection was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nutcracker NightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/1/2013We had a wonderful dinner here that helped make our Nutcracker experience at DCPA perfect. The food was delicious with helpful suggestions coming from the very attentive wait staff. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Ribs!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/30/2013Baked beans a little bland but everything else was excellent!! The Lobster roll was very good and the cornbread was a surprise as it was excellent!!!Special Features:
- Great meat!ChiLoveVIPDined on 11/23/2013We have been searching for good BBQ and theirs is pretty good. Didn't love the sauce but the meat was tender and good. Prices seem a bit high for BBQ. Overall I would go back.Special Features:
- Loved the food and the atmosphere.NelsonDined on 11/23/2013Loved the food and the atmosphere. Being in the basement gave it a speakeasy type of feel for it. It was a great time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night!SarahVIPDined on 11/19/2013My husband and I received a gift card here and decided to grab some food before seeing a show downtown. The service was exceptional! Our server was attentive but never in our face. The food was also delicious. Our favorites were the ribs, grits, and cornbread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great smoked meat!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013I confess I am not much of a meat eater, but every morsel at our table was delicious, perfectly seasoned and full of smoked flavor. I had the 1/2 chicken which was brined and then smoked. The various styles of BBQ sauce on the table were also very good and fun to sample. I would highly recommend this restaurant for anyone who likes BBQ and/or smoke meats! Only negative was very limited dessert options (3 types of pies). Would be fun to have more choices that would also fit with the vibe of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really fun place, great foodPattyDined on 11/15/2013Really fun place, great food and service. Will be backSpecial Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2013My folks were in town from Minnesota. They always live trying new places with me, so I thought the Smoke House would be a fun choice. The food was awesome, we fell in love with our server Jordan, the drinks were delicious, and the even had the Nuggets/Timberwolves game on! Although they live out of state I will absolutely be back, and hopefully Jordan can help me find more amazing things to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonder food at a reasonalble price.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2013This is the third time that my husband and I have eaten here. Every time we have delicious food that makes us want to go back. The staff have always been super nice to us. Their mulled blueberry pie was the best pie I have ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbiencePadhyeKDined on 11/10/2013Good food with a very nice location. The BBQ was good and the sauces are homemade. i like a BBQ place that doesn't smother the meat in sauce. The bar next door is wonderful. I would highly recommend Green Russell for drinks either before or after dinner.Special Features:
- Good food, poor atmosphereSLeighDined on 11/9/2013Overall the food was good. We enjoyed the sausages and the barbecue. But the atmosphere was definitely lacking. We went as a party of 6. They started us at a table that could reasonably seat 4. After complaining we were moved to a larger table. But the server was slow and rude. The dining room felt a bit like a cafeteria. There was no energy in the place. There are other places around Denver to go for barbecue, don't waist your time here. Also, went to Green Russell for a drink. The atmosphere wasn't much better there, though the drinks were good. Again, there are other places to get a crafted cocktail.
- Smokehouse food done rightlive2eatVIPDined on 11/6/2013Best chicken I have ever tasted. I have ever tasted.Special Features:
- A chain resurant has bettter BBQ..pedicaberDined on 11/3/2013I own a pedicab business in Downtown Denver and I like trying out the resturants in the popular areas so I can recommend them to travelers. I have been looking forward to trying Russells for awhile now cause I would love to find a good bbq place in Denver to recommend. Let me start by saying the experience wasn't worth the $8 I spent to park my truck... My girlfriend and I had the brisket plate with beans and mashed potatoes; the brisket was extremely dry and bland and the sides were tarrible. I was there on a sunday around 6pm and it was super slow, it took our server 15 minutes to ask us what we wanted cause him and the manager were to busy watching football. I will tell all the pedicabers out there not to recommend Russells. Sorry.....
- AmazingJohnnyDined on 10/26/2013I love the food and service here! I eat here once or twice a week! AmazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All I can say is, YUM!YumLuvDined on 10/20/2013Great ribs, fried chicken, greens, and Smoke & OakSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed our experienceJananVIPDined on 10/19/2013We really enjoyed our experience at Russell's Smokehouse. It was great that everything is made in house. Service was great as well.Special Features: