1422 Larimer St.
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.russellssmokehouse.com/
- Phone: 7205248050x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Frank Bonanno
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact our event coordinator, Emily Schwartz, for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Emily Schwartz 3035251702x
A word from Russell's Smokehouse
Russell’s Smokehouse is a nod to an early time, to the spirit of the West and the cowboy tradition of cooking over a slow, low flame. Our specialty is not in the sauce (which is why we don't call it barbecue), but in the rich smoke and the method of cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Russell's Smokehouse reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (10)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (4)romantic (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Russell's SmokehouseRichMacDined on 8/28/2014Really womderful brisket good happy hour prices wait staff - very attentiveSpecial Features:
- dining al fresco on larimer stOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014this was an awesome idea. the atmosphere was great! I'm not sure what the restaurant is like normally but if the jazz singer they had was any indication it must be very nice!Special Features:
- Al Fresco EveningColoradoKilaDined on 8/16/2014Recently had dinner here for the Larimer Dining Al Fresco evening. Our reservations got messed up, but the hostess worked miracles to get us in anyway and allowed us to eat outdoors as we had planned. Our waitstaff was amazing, so accommodating and friendly and fun. The more limited menu for this event could have used a few more items on it, but we were super happy with what we had and our experience overall. The sauces are to die for!Special Features:
- Smoke OverloadOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Food was all really good, but everything was extremely smoky, by the time we got our ribs, I just couldn't handle any more smoke. I would go back for a bite, but probably not a whole meal.Special Features:
- CozyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014I've definitely experienced better bbq in my life, but this place had a really great atmosphere, friendly staff, and excellent bar which helped us overlook the average food. I'd go back for drinks, but not for the food.Special Features:
- above averageChopEatrDined on 8/2/2014foods above average but lower priced for downtown.
- Go to prime rib night!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014We had been wanting to try Russell's for quite awhile ad decided to make reservations for my husband's birthday. The food was fantastic and so was the service. Than you for making his 31st a special night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD BBQMdurfVIPDined on 7/1/2014Enjoyed the Brisket and ribs! Brisket was very tender. Service was efficient but not friendly. Loved the vinegar BBQ sauce!
- Good Eating!Gelomare55Dined on 6/29/2014I travel quite a bit and try to Get BQ in almost all the cities I visit. I found Russell Smokehouse to be among the best. Food was good and matched equally by the attentive service. I plan to return with friends before leaving Denver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the SmokeshouseOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/29/2014Russell's Smokehouse is a unique take on BBQ Denver style. It's located in a downstairs restaurant off a busy strip of restaurants and shops in Denver. It is a rustic yet friendly restaurant..although a bit eclectic. Their meats are smoked in house and the service was excellent. All quality in the food products and timing of the service was unrushed and on time. Varied bottles of BBQ and sauces were found on the tables so you can season to your liking. Highly recommended if you'd like a little different take on BBQ.Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014We really enjoy BBQ and Carolina style BBQ sauce. Great food and fun specialty drinks. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014The fried chicken was bland and lacked flavour. We have had the ribs before and they were very good, this time something wasn't right. Maybe too heavy on the rub? They were a bit dry anyway... The pies were awful. Disappointed this time around. The service was great tho!
- Cold foodBnBloveDined on 6/14/2014We dined at Russell's Smokehouse for an al fresco dining event. All of the meat we ordered was lukewarm at best. Service was great and the event was very fun.Special Features:
- Great Denver BBQ!trivfunDined on 6/6/2014During our visit we decided to try out this BBQ place by looking at the restaurants in the Larimer Square and Russell's is tucked away in the lower level of the building. I ordered the half smoked chicken and my husband had the sampler plate and everything was amazing. Living in KC, its hard to beat the BBQ joints offered, but this place is very close. Great flavor, yummy homemade sauces and great service! Check them out when you visit Denver :)
- Good BBQNatiDined on 5/31/2014The BBQ was very good, but the mashed potatoes and Mac & Cheese were less than average. Service was quite slow for 9:30 in the evening.
- YUM!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014Food was great, service was ok, located in a basement so kind of dark. I think the service could have been better. The hostess was not very friendly at all.Special Features:
- Great for oelebration!outoftownersDined on 5/17/2014We enjoyed eating here to celebrate my daughter's college graduation. Reservations were made so the table was ready for us when we arrived. There were only 2 parties going on at the time so our service was excellent. Everyone enjoyed their food and all the orders were correct. I was glad it wasn't crowded so we could easily converse and didn't feel rushed to give up our table. Great tasty food!Special Features:
- First visitCoolheatVIPDined on 5/16/2014Nice variety of of smokehouse items, well prepared. Just had the pulled pork sandwich from their lunch menu as the entree items were dinner size and dinner prices. Beet, squash and spinach salad was tasty and the sausage appetizer plate was yummy!
- The following 266 reviews are from the Russell's Smokehouse reviews archive.
- Good StuffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014Our food was excellent. Good variety of styles and flavors. The appetizer was really good that we had and the main course was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Great for a BBQ fixJulesDined on 4/27/2014The downstairs bar/restaurant offered a really cool setting that was great for catching up without being crowded. The menu had some great options and food came out hot and quick. It took a while to actually get service, which was probably just confused because we were starving and wanted to start ordering before the rest of the group came late. The drink orders (beer and soda) came after the food arrived, as did the 'starters', but the waitress was kind enough to comp for the appetizer. Overall still a great place to get some bbq in a nice & simple atmosphere. The Sunday fried chicken was a big hit and I'm definitely ordering the sweet potato fries again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dirty Gross bathrooms.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2014While the food was decent, and the waiter were attentive, nothing is a bigger appetite killer than using the restroom and seeing dirty toilets, floors. It makes you wonder how clean is the kitchen? ..
- OkayKoko1986Dined on 4/12/2014The food good not great. Not good enough to go back. I found the sides to be a little bland. No salt and pepper at the table. The waiter also forgot to bring back our leftovers. Moscow mules were great.Special Features:
- Denver's Best BBQdiningshamanDined on 4/10/2014Tucked inside the middle of a foodies' block of paradise in downtown Denver is a delicious descent into smokehouse heaven. Turn into a little alley away from the bright lights and outdoor patios and slip down some stairs and enter the smokehouse. Amazing local craft beers with an assortment of exotic and flavor-packed starters followed by delectable scrumptious ribs and hand-pulled pork from Berkshire shoulder await your palate. Kick off your downtown shoes and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual vibeEPD55Dined on 4/10/2014A friend and I (two women in their 50s) met here for dinner on a weeknight. Food was good, as usual. We had a weird vibe with our waiter. I think he was trying to be attentive and it didn't come off that way. But it didn't overshadow with delicious brisket - if I didn't care about weighing 300 pounds, I would eat here several times a week!Special Features:
- Russell's knows how to barbecueheroldraVIPDined on 4/8/2014The baby back ribs are full of flavor, gloriously smokey, succulent and moist inside. The spice rub provides just the right amount of peppery tang. Accompanying hot and sweet sauces complemented the meat perfectly. The vinegar sauce was a little too sour for my taste. Sides of mashed potatoes and honey beets were pleasant foils for the meat. I look forward to sampling more meats next time -- especially the smoked prime rib, which the excellent waiter (Jordan) said was delicious. All this taste, a pleasant enough bottle of red wine ($20 bargain leftover from 5280 week), plus reasonable prices combine to make Russell's a winner. Atmosphere is pleasant and casual. We will be regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/29/2014What more can I say... be sure not this miss this neighborhood gem. If you're looking for a different twist on the BBQ experience be sure to stop by. Our group tried and shared a variety of apps, mains, and dessert! Just wish we weren't so full - we are ready for more!Special Features:
- Best BBQ in ColoradoDmbryDined on 3/28/2014I lived in North Carolina for 20 years, and I know good BBQ. This place is hands down the best you will find. The ribs were perfect. Best grilled chicken I've ever had. Brisket to die for. The sides are 10/10. Don't for get to save room for the pie from Wednesdays mind blowing! Bonnano brothers ( parent company) are setting new standards for the Denver area, with quality ingredients and you can tell the chefs are highly trained and very talented. Check out all of their restruants you will be suprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatest service in the cityChrisJDined on 3/22/2014First time there for a special date night with the wife. The food was pretty good, but the service was outstanding. Best I've ever had. They were quick, friendly, and very helpful. It's amazing to still see some of our youth with such exceptional manners. Treated like royalty by not only the waiter but the chiefs too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth it!DPF816VIPDined on 3/19/2014My husband and I were sorely disappointed with our dining experience at Russell's. Our server (Jason, I believe) was one of the worst we've encountered. He was arrogant and condescending, and he made it clear that he did not care about serving us. The food was equally poor. The meats had no smoke ring, and all we could taste was artificial smoke seasoning and liquid smoke. The sides were bland and certainly not worth the $6 price tag. The cornbread came out dry and extremely hard. We sent it back to the kitchen, but the chef said that the replacement would be the same, but perhaps the center would be less dry. We were really hoping for high quality food given the location and the ownership. Unfortunately, Russell's did not deliver.
- The food was good, but theDaveDined on 2/27/2014The food was good, but the quantity was small and the price was high.Special Features:
- Amazing food!DaveMDined on 2/26/2014Food was awesome I was there during restaurant week, and I will definitely be going back to try the regular menu sometime.Special Features:
- DeliciousMJW9Dined on 2/25/2014The service was fantastic and the food was very good. I had the pork shoulder which was served with a really good slaw. Terrific flavor mix!
- The restaurant doesn't haveEdWhDined on 2/22/2014The restaurant doesn't have much ambience--it's much like a diner, and it's downstairs in a basement. BUT, the food was outstanding, and the service was fine (esp. considering we were there on the first night of Denver Restaurant Week). They have some interesting beers but not a huge selection--I didn't look at the wine selection. The place reminds me of some restaurants in NYC where the restaurant is in an old building with not much ambience but the food is really good--in a way, it had some character to it. The place was described somewhere as having a "western" theme, and maybe there was some occasional western art, but not much. We had the trout appetizer, brisket entre, salmon entre, and ribs entre, and it was all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner in Denver.Ktshea02Dined on 2/21/2014Visiting from Atlanta. Great food and service. The brussel sprouts with pork belly were amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fooddunntmVIPDined on 2/15/2014Food was good, but spent most of my meal wondering where the waiter was and why there was not a drink on my table.Special Features:
- Just averagerojobubblesDined on 2/14/2014Food was good but a bit overpriced. The service could have been better. Probably won't be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Twice the niceJoesicknessDined on 2/13/2014With Russell's Smokehouse and its "secret" companion The Green Russell, you get two special treats in one expierence. The liquor selections at The Green Russell are limited to the "prohibition era" type drinks, but that somewhat adds to the expierence. Not sure why the same rules apply to the bar in the smokehouse, but they do get very creative with them. The food choices are limited, but what most people don't understand is that is how you do WHAT YOU DO well, and Russell's does put attention to quality and detail in their food. There is a good deal of noise in both places, but I assume that is due to the structures being underground, surrounded & covered with cement (not the best for absorbing noises). Still an excellent expierence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place tucked away in LarimerRWhiteDenDined on 2/11/2014I booked a group of 4 in to Russell's ahead of the Pepsi Center concert for Simon & Sting. We seated early and found the Happy Hour menu perfect to start our evening. The BBQ sandwich and side ribs were excellent; the cole slaw light and tasty, and the local draft beer selection was supurb. I would definitely recommend this place for Happy Hour or a casual dinner meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverallPerfectLunchMeetingDined on 1/29/2014The food was fantastic! The staff was very attentive throughout the meal and brought our food to us piping hot and in a timely manner. It was crowded, but the noise level wasn't such that you had to yell to the people you were sitting with - just a comfortable atmosphere. I definitely will continue to visit and will tell all of my friends about it. A hidden gem!Special Features:
- Outstanding BBQCarwizzelDined on 1/25/2014I have been here twice and both times it was amazing. Ribs are fall off the bone goodness and the mac and cheese is the best I've ever had. Can't wait to go back.Special Features: