1601 W. 38th Street
Austin, TX 78731Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.russellsbistro.com/
- Phone: 5124677877
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday-Friday: 7:00am-11:00am
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am-5:00pm
Dinner: Monday-Saturday: 5:00pm-9:30pm
Brunch: Saturday- Sunday: 9:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wine Bar, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Joe Petrick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Russell's Bistro
Welcome to Russell's Bistro. We invite you to join us for any one of our locally sourced dining services including, breakfast, lunch, dinner, or our legendary brunch. Our delicious & reliable culinary techniques set with our calming and cozy atmosphere, will create an experience second to none. Shop small, stay Texan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Russell's Bistro - Best Restaurants in Central Austin ›
Russell's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)great for brunch (11)great for outdoor dining (11)fit for foodies (8)romantic (7)great for lunch (6)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)good for groups (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great ambiance poor serviceLinnDined on 10/19/2014We used Open Table to get a reservation on a beautiful day in Austin. We were given either mimosa or coffee for our 10 minute wait, for free. Very nice touch. Seated on the patio at at beautiful table. Our server brought us coffee, took our order, and we waited. After a long while our food arrived......no silverware......we asked.....no silverware..........had to go to hostess.....cold food but we had silverware. Food was good but we will not return.... Lots of brunch places to go to in Austin...no need to eat cold food with our fingers.Special Features:
- boileree72VIPDined on 10/18/2014My wife had the sea bass and it was excellent. I had the ribeye steak with crab special and this was also wonderful. Our server, Brittany was very attentive, but did not rush us. She spaced the entrees from the salad so we had time to talk, not too long, just perfect. At the end of our dinner we picked up some pastries for our breakfast the next morning.Special Features:
- Great local place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/9/2014I was looking for a non-chain lunch or dinner place to take clients in the future. I'm careful about places that I add to my list for client meals so I'll probably go again before I add Russell's, but my initial impression is that of a great local place for great food. The sea bass was terrific and the sides were all good too. Coconut cake was the best dessert we tried at my table. I'm a coffee person, so it doesn't hurt that Anderson's is next door! I picked up some fresh roasted coffee beans before dinner.Special Features:
- Great BrunchKateDined on 9/14/2014We had a group of 8 people at short notice. I booked through Open Table at Russel's Bistro. They had a perfect table for 8 on their patio for us the next morning. Everyone loved the brunch, too. Banana Pecan Pancakes were sweet and fluffy. The Eggs Benedict came traditional or with salmon or crabcake to dress it up. And, the white omelette was just right for me. Our waiter had a good sense of humor and the service was timely. It's in a cute neighborhood, too. Just know that parking is a little tight around there.Special Features:
- Skip Brunch go Straight to DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2014I say dodge past the crowds at brunch and stop in for Dinner instead. We went here last night for dinner. Joe(manager) and his staff treated us extremely well. Emily our waiter was attentive and very pleasant. We started with the Cheese Slate which was a good size for two, the cheeses were excellent, especially the cheddar. The Wine list which most people would consider tiny is focused on truly good value wines(nothing over $35 a bottle) The French Pinot we order was yummy. My wife got the 6oz Filet with mashed potatoes and asparagus and I got the Sea Bass with mushroom risotto and Blueberry and Bacon brussel sprouts. Both dishes were truly wonderful, well cooked, proportioned and presented. We will definitely go back for more meals!Special Features:
- sea bassfooddealfinderDined on 8/29/2014There is not a better deal in town for sea bass lovers than Russell's Bistro. They also have a fabulous selection of desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Un-memorableEarnmyreturnDined on 8/15/2014From the brown, limp salad, past the 30-40 minute waiting period for our steak to arrive, we were uniformly amused and bewildered at the lack of service, such as no water refills, no offer of a second glass of wine. The ribeye, which was thoughtfully split as we requested, was tasty, but unmemorable. This was not exactly a hoppin' Friday night; half the tables were empty and everyone within our view waited and waited for their food, too. With so many restaurants in Austin, and so little time, Russell's will get no more of ours.
- Excellent brunchFoodyVIPDined on 8/7/2014Service was excellent. Food was very good. Just a nice, no fuss, romantic looking place to have solid breakfast or brunch. Would recommend to friends and will definitely make a place I regularly visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch in great locationBBDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had brunch on Saturday and couldn't have been happier. Everything was delicious; the service was great; the prices are reasonable; and it is in a great, attractive location with lots of other interesting places to visit before or afterwards. We will be back!Special Features:
- Great foodMargaritaDined on 7/25/2014Our meal was fantastic and the service was very friendly and helpful. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- designer1947Dined on 7/4/2014Wonderful locally owned by Russell ....not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual eleganceADavidBDined on 6/28/2014Went for my birthday. The cheese plate was very nice, the tomato bisque is GREAT!, my ribeye was cooked perfectly, and the sides are wonderful. The wine selection is thoughtful and the server was very good about letting me try two reds before I made a decision. They have 1/2 price bottles on Mondays! I will have to come back for that. The patio is beautiful.Special Features:
- The following 1 reviews are from the Russell's Bistro reviews archive.
- Great Eggs BenedictOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/4/2014I asked to have the Eggs Benedict with the ham Plus the spinach/tomato/avocado which they obliged and it was 'so great'. I don't think I told our waiter but it was outstanding. Had a great time, they seated us immediately and all was wonderful. I will be going back for brunch for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.