Russell House Tavern
14 JFK Street
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Russell House Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://russellhousecambridge.com/
- Phone: 6175003055x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 10:00am - 4:00pm Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Thomas Borgia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Russell House Tavern offers a variety of Private Dining experiences. Please email our private events coordinator for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Courtney Wentworth 6175003055x
A word from Russell House Tavern
Russell House Tavern continues the Harvard Square tradition of local enterprise as a New American Tavern serving seasonally-inspired, classic dishes from New England and beyond. An inviting, multi-level space adorned with vintage photographs of the Square, Russell House Tavern specializes in artisanal fare served alongside carefully hand-crafted cocktails and a distinctive collection of all-American wines and craft beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Russell House Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (87)neighborhood gem (68)good for groups (67)vibrant bar scene (67)hot spot (51)great for outdoor dining (43)great for brunch (42)special occasion (39)great for lunch (38)late-night find (35)romantic (32)kid-friendly (13)notable wine list (9)scenic view (1)Show More
- Can't say one bad thingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014The Head of the Charles Regatta turns Harvard Square into a madhouse for an entire weekend. Luckily we thought to make reservations. Russell House Tavern was packed but they were quick with drinks and our brunch. Speaking of our drinks and brunch, they were excellent. The drinks were expertly crafted, served in the correct glassware, and strong enough to justify the prices. The food was out-of-this-world, my "Anti-Benedict" was a great remix on a classic brunch item. Would absolutely make the trip to Harvard to eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Harvard Sq. spotCoopwriteVIPDined on 10/15/2014My friends and I chose to have dinner here after failing to get reservations at some other hot spots. We were glad we ended up here. Craft cocktails and an extensive dinner menu mixing comfort foods with more unusual fare made for an enjoyable evening. The food and service will definitely draw us back here.Special Features:
- Nice and trendyelzabDined on 10/13/2014Nice and trendy in Harvard Square. Prepare to be surrounded by twenty somethings. Good food, albeit served a bit rushed, could be warmer or somewhat less hastily pushed out of the kitchen.Special Features:
- Ok place near HarvardbrendanDined on 10/11/2014Very busy and loud downstairs bar. Food portions large and good quality. Service friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodFoodieDined on 10/10/2014I'm glad we made a reservation because the place was packed on Friday night. The service was a little slow and we found it odd that we were served our oysters along with our entrees, as opposed to beforehand as an app. The food was excellent. I had the arctic char (which was prepared differently than described online), and my boyfriend had the crispy pork belly sandwich. The location is great too - just around the corner from the T. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceEmilyVIPDined on 10/4/2014I was dining with my mother who has very severe food allergies; our waiter (and the rest of the staff) were very attentive to her needs and made sure she had a delicious lunch!Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceDoveVIPDined on 10/4/2014Party of 3, we may have had an off server but she was very slow. The restaurant was quite busy but it took us 10 minutes to get us milk and sugar after we were brought our coffees and tea. We were brought the check before being asked if we wanted dessert and waited another 20 minutes for the check after saying we didn't want dessert. We mentioned to our waitress that we were frustrated at her service so the manager came by with a insincere apology and ice cream. Otherwise, the food ambience is great. I would go back hoping that the waitress is better trained or that I would get better service. May be a one off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy but otherwise fineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/29/2014There is outdoor dining, which would have been preferable, but the weather discouraged it when I was there. The result was sitting in the basement, which is the main dining room. Low ceilings, a bar scene, and no sound absorption made it extremely noisy and hard to hold a conversation. The food was quite good, however, and the menu varied.Special Features:
- Good dining option in Harvard Sqr.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/28/2014The food was very tasty. Fresh and well cooked. Russell House Tavern has a lively pub feel with high quality food and drink. Great dining option in the Square.Special Features:
- Staid but noisyEleniODined on 9/25/2014The food is good but not great. Fish, for example, is of good quality but bland. The noise level downstairs was unbearable. But the bar crowd was having a good time. The courtyard area is more pleasant even when full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quickly becoming a favoriteKateDVIPDined on 9/24/2014This was our 2nd visit to RHT and it was excellent. A few minor complaints. For both visits we had a reservation and both times we had to wait 15 minutes or more for our table. Second-it is REALLY loud in the dining room. Like, hard to hear the person next to you loud. Finally, the dozen oysters we order came sitting on melted ice and ended up submerged. Not appealing. Cocktails are the real stars at this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreaseElismichDined on 9/24/2014The cocktail list is quite fun. I called in the morning to ask about their seafood as I had a friend in town who wanted seafood. I was promised a seafood special for the evening - but when we got there they didn't have one. The food that we did get was overly greasy to the point of being nearly inedible. My burger was tasty. But my company had a pizza and the pork sandwich and finished neither due to the grease.
- Surprise disappointmentArlingtoniteDined on 9/19/2014We went at 6 pm before the theater. The restaurant was stunningly noisy, in the upstairs area. A particularly poorly conceived dish was the pizza with greens and egg. Served with 4 poached eggs on the pizza was the first problem, most people don't eat that many eggs at one sitting. They broke and ran, of course, and turned the pizza to mush, making it impossible to eat. The metal pan that it was served in wasn't flat and moved all over the table when eater was attempting to cut it. The service was fine, but this restaurant will not be a future pre-theater choice for us.
- YummyLolaVIPDined on 9/18/2014Great food and atmosphere. Love the selection of apps. The Moscow Mule is fantastic. They make it with homemade ginger beer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- College stapleOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/14/2014While visiting Harvard square from out of town, this seemed like the spot to go to for lunch. Great tavern feel with even better food- burger and pastrami sandwich come highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehJiniDined on 9/14/2014I was excited to try Russell House Tavern but was disappointed. While the food and drinks were good (not great), the service was fair, at best. It took awhile to get our drinks and our server wasn't very attentive. It was the Sunday Brunch busy time so I'd understand a little but she had runners for the food. There really isn't an excuse. I sat at the bar while my "reserved" table was being fixed. Even the bartender wasn't attentive. Overall it was decent but the service brings down the review.Special Features:
- happening placegasmanDined on 9/13/2014went here before a show , place was packed even at 6 pm...we were pressed for time and the waitress accomodated us so that we could eat and get to the show in time...............small plates were extraordinarily good, and main courses were excellent.......not a place for perace and quiet, but great food and wonderful serviceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014We had a great dinner here beffore attending an ART production. Waitress was extremely knowledgeable not only on the menu/bar selections but also provided alot of fum tips about the history of the building and location. Eclectic menu - fun things to try - everyone loved their dinners.Special Features:
- Poor communicationJuliusDined on 9/12/2014This venue has three areas: an upstairs, a downstairs, and a patio. Communication seem rather poor between the three section. We came to the "lobby" upstairs and identified ourselves as having a reservation from Open Table. Greeter said, "Please make your way downstairs, they already have your table prepared." We went downstairs only to be met by a person who clearly didn't know why we were there. We were seated anyway, but a day later received a note that we hadn't honored our reservation. Should it be up to the patron to explain the situation between upstairs and downstairs? No way.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/8/2014I had the dirty kale salad with shrimp. Excellent. Perfectly prepared and served. My client had the steak frites and said she liked it a lot. The window was inviting, so we sat there, but it turned out to be a little too urban, with smog and car noise. The outside patio would have been a better choice for us, as it's a little removed from the street. Overall, a great choice for a professional lunch.Special Features:
- Mixed on the food, fine otherwiseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2014I had the eggs benedict. The sauce was very buttery and overall the dish was rather salty. The hash browns that came with it were good. My friend had the omlette which she liked. Overall mixed on the food but fine otherwise.
- sunday brunchacopeDined on 9/7/2014we had an amazing time at Russel House Tavern for sunday brunch. we had a great table outside, along with a really helpful server, and we enjoyed every dish. will definitely come again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DynahVIPDined on 9/4/2014The entrance patio is a pleasant surprise for a late night meal. Unfortunately the food doesn't meet the quality of the service or atmosphere. Pork cooked three ways was dry as was the chicken dish. Both, cooked correctly, would be ho-hum at best. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Quick drink & meal before a playnolagalDined on 9/2/2014We were on our way to the ART so we were rushed. Our server helped us order and we finished in time.Special Features:
- Great Place - Trendy TaverndinnerdinerDined on 9/1/2014RHT is a great place for any occasion- has the feel of a medditerrabean bistro mixed with a Boston tavern/pub, served with a contemporary menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisiest dinner evvergaldosDined on 8/30/2014Unfortunally full of drunken and loud undergraduate students. We could not enjoy food nor conversation. Waited 20 minutes for a table even with a reservation at at 9 PM.Special Features:
- Harvard FamilyHarvardmomof3Dined on 8/28/2014It was our second time dining at Russell House Tavern! We had a reservation for six, and all but two of us were disappointed in their meal! The bar ran out of the beer that the men wanted to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good enoughLauralgcDined on 8/28/2014Very busy restaurant&bar, with good selection of beers and some interesting dishes. Appetizers and small plates are the same size, really small, like tapas, so it's fun to order different ones to share. The octopus mortadella was really tasty, while the marrow pierogi were kind of blend. The pork trio was perfectly cooked and seasoned and very good.Special Features:
- Fantastic FindTuchDined on 8/27/2014Had tickets to the ART & decided to dine before the show. Haven't taken part in much of the goings on in Harvard Sq for years and thought that Russell House Tavern may be too hip for our senior group. Almost chose a non-pub restaurant instead. But so glad we didn't. Out whole group had a fantastic dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at the ZooOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/24/2014Complete Zoo at Brunch. Not relaxing. Food is good however overall experience was overwhelming. Loud & Crowded.
- foodlyDined on 8/24/2014Food was not that good. Kind of gloppy. Home fries, however, were delicious. Waiter appeared hungover but was polite and responsive.Special Features:
- Excellentitb1212Dined on 8/22/2014Service was slow, especially with the initial drinks - could have been because of the number of patrons. Excellent food, although the rock shrimp salad was a bit bland. Drinks were great! I had the Keyser Soze... amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for resturant week.RusselldatenightDined on 8/20/2014Went here for resturant week and got the two course dinner with the wine pairing, good deal of 12$ for a glass with both courses. Only downside was the wine came after we already made our way through most of our dishes, but when they came they were good. We sat outside under the lights and it was a wonderful place to sit. Only one loud bus went by, but otherwise it was easy to forget we were on a main street. Great food and good, friendly service. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatdining56Dined on 8/20/2014A good time was had by all. The service was perfect and quick as we were on our way to a play. The price was very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large GroupsokokDined on 8/19/2014I needed two tables for a large group and got conflicting information about the possibility of additional chairs to accommodate my guests. One one occasion, two guests were asked to share a chair. However, between myself and the server, Rachel, there was clear communication and she was able to provide us with everything we needed. She was also friendly, courteous and patient. I couldn't have asked for a better server.Special Features:
- Mildly disappointingthomasVIPDined on 8/9/2014The dirty caesar salad was tasty and huge, with lots of cheese, but I didn't taste the anchovies or kale. The oxtail and marrow pierogies didn't have the richness and flavor I was expecting. The smoked lamb belly meatballs were tasty, but the tomato sauce was extremely salty. The steak tartare was delicious. The scallops and pork belly were okay but unremarkable.
- DeliciousMjcgDined on 8/8/2014Not what you would expect from a "tavern"... Food was simply delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelllent food and atmospherecharlesstDined on 8/7/2014Great dinner the other night at the Russell House Tavern. I've been there before and always enjoyed what's been served to me. The other night was no exception but the combination of food and late night energy was just what I needed after a long work week. Service was great as well. I can only hear from my right side but found the noise level very acceptable, even for a Friday evening when noise tends to reach its peak in many restaurants. Would recommend to anyone looking for great food and a lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not so great ambiencefluffydinerDined on 8/7/2014The food was awesome. It really ruined the mood, however, when our group was seated next to a table of four annoying kids aged 4-7. Their parents, of course, seated themselves further away, knowing full well that they'd go insane sitting close to their own offspring. The burden thus fell onto other people -- us, in this case. They screamed, they shouted, they dropped a plate on the floor next to us, and they fought with one another like jungle beasts. What can I say? The only pleasure I can derive from watching these kids is knowing that it must be real hell at home.
- Delicious LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/4/2014We enjoyed our recent lunch at Russell House Tavern. The Seared Yellowfin Tuna BLT and the R. House Grass-Fed Burger were both incredibly flavorful. The atmosphere is welcoming as is the staff. Draft beer selection is a nice addition to a great menu.Special Features: