Russell House Tavern
14 JFK Street
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Russell House Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://russellhousecambridge.com/
- Phone: 6175003055x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 10:00am - 4:00pm Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Thomas Borgia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Russell House Tavern offers a variety of Private Dining experiences. Please email our private events coordinator for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Courtney Wentworth 6175003055x
A word from Russell House Tavern
Russell House Tavern continues the Harvard Square tradition of local enterprise as a New American Tavern serving seasonally-inspired, classic dishes from New England and beyond. An inviting, multi-level space adorned with vintage photographs of the Square, Russell House Tavern specializes in artisanal fare served alongside carefully hand-crafted cocktails and a distinctive collection of all-American wines and craft beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Russell House Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)neighborhood gem (75)good for groups (66)vibrant bar scene (65)great for outdoor dining (50)special occasion (45)great for lunch (45)great for brunch (44)hot spot (44)romantic (36)late-night find (34)kid-friendly (16)notable wine list (14)scenic view (2)Show More
- YummyLolaVIPDined on 9/18/2014Great food and atmosphere. Love the selection of apps. The Moscow Mule is fantastic. They make it with homemade ginger beer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- College stapleOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/14/2014While visiting Harvard square from out of town, this seemed like the spot to go to for lunch. Great tavern feel with even better food- burger and pastrami sandwich come highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehJiniDined on 9/14/2014I was excited to try Russell House Tavern but was disappointed. While the food and drinks were good (not great), the service was fair, at best. It took awhile to get our drinks and our server wasn't very attentive. It was the Sunday Brunch busy time so I'd understand a little but she had runners for the food. There really isn't an excuse. I sat at the bar while my "reserved" table was being fixed. Even the bartender wasn't attentive. Overall it was decent but the service brings down the review.Special Features:
- happening placegasmanDined on 9/13/2014went here before a show , place was packed even at 6 pm...we were pressed for time and the waitress accomodated us so that we could eat and get to the show in time...............small plates were extraordinarily good, and main courses were excellent.......not a place for perace and quiet, but great food and wonderful serviceSpecial Features:
- Poor communicationJuliusDined on 9/12/2014This venue has three areas: an upstairs, a downstairs, and a patio. Communication seem rather poor between the three section. We came to the "lobby" upstairs and identified ourselves as having a reservation from Open Table. Greeter said, "Please make your way downstairs, they already have your table prepared." We went downstairs only to be met by a person who clearly didn't know why we were there. We were seated anyway, but a day later received a note that we hadn't honored our reservation. Should it be up to the patron to explain the situation between upstairs and downstairs? No way.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/8/2014I had the dirty kale salad with shrimp. Excellent. Perfectly prepared and served. My client had the steak frites and said she liked it a lot. The window was inviting, so we sat there, but it turned out to be a little too urban, with smog and car noise. The outside patio would have been a better choice for us, as it's a little removed from the street. Overall, a great choice for a professional lunch.Special Features:
- Mixed on the food, fine otherwiseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2014I had the eggs benedict. The sauce was very buttery and overall the dish was rather salty. The hash browns that came with it were good. My friend had the omlette which she liked. Overall mixed on the food but fine otherwise.
- sunday brunchacopeDined on 9/7/2014we had an amazing time at Russel House Tavern for sunday brunch. we had a great table outside, along with a really helpful server, and we enjoyed every dish. will definitely come again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DynahVIPDined on 9/4/2014The entrance patio is a pleasant surprise for a late night meal. Unfortunately the food doesn't meet the quality of the service or atmosphere. Pork cooked three ways was dry as was the chicken dish. Both, cooked correctly, would be ho-hum at best. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Quick drink & meal before a playnolagalDined on 9/2/2014We were on our way to the ART so we were rushed. Our server helped us order and we finished in time.Special Features:
- Great Place - Trendy TaverndinnerdinerDined on 9/1/2014RHT is a great place for any occasion- has the feel of a medditerrabean bistro mixed with a Boston tavern/pub, served with a contemporary menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisiest dinner evvergaldosDined on 8/30/2014Unfortunally full of drunken and loud undergraduate students. We could not enjoy food nor conversation. Waited 20 minutes for a table even with a reservation at at 9 PM.Special Features:
- Harvard FamilyHarvardmomof3Dined on 8/28/2014It was our second time dining at Russell House Tavern! We had a reservation for six, and all but two of us were disappointed in their meal! The bar ran out of the beer that the men wanted to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good enoughLauralgcDined on 8/28/2014Very busy restaurant&bar, with good selection of beers and some interesting dishes. Appetizers and small plates are the same size, really small, like tapas, so it's fun to order different ones to share. The octopus mortadella was really tasty, while the marrow pierogi were kind of blend. The pork trio was perfectly cooked and seasoned and very good.Special Features:
- Fantastic FindTuchDined on 8/27/2014Had tickets to the ART & decided to dine before the show. Haven't taken part in much of the goings on in Harvard Sq for years and thought that Russell House Tavern may be too hip for our senior group. Almost chose a non-pub restaurant instead. But so glad we didn't. Out whole group had a fantastic dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodlyDined on 8/24/2014Food was not that good. Kind of gloppy. Home fries, however, were delicious. Waiter appeared hungover but was polite and responsive.Special Features:
- Excellentitb1212Dined on 8/22/2014Service was slow, especially with the initial drinks - could have been because of the number of patrons. Excellent food, although the rock shrimp salad was a bit bland. Drinks were great! I had the Keyser Soze... amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for resturant week.RusselldatenightDined on 8/20/2014Went here for resturant week and got the two course dinner with the wine pairing, good deal of 12$ for a glass with both courses. Only downside was the wine came after we already made our way through most of our dishes, but when they came they were good. We sat outside under the lights and it was a wonderful place to sit. Only one loud bus went by, but otherwise it was easy to forget we were on a main street. Great food and good, friendly service. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatdining56Dined on 8/20/2014A good time was had by all. The service was perfect and quick as we were on our way to a play. The price was very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large GroupsokokDined on 8/19/2014I needed two tables for a large group and got conflicting information about the possibility of additional chairs to accommodate my guests. One one occasion, two guests were asked to share a chair. However, between myself and the server, Rachel, there was clear communication and she was able to provide us with everything we needed. She was also friendly, courteous and patient. I couldn't have asked for a better server.Special Features:
- Mildly disappointingthomasVIPDined on 8/9/2014The dirty caesar salad was tasty and huge, with lots of cheese, but I didn't taste the anchovies or kale. The oxtail and marrow pierogies didn't have the richness and flavor I was expecting. The smoked lamb belly meatballs were tasty, but the tomato sauce was extremely salty. The steak tartare was delicious. The scallops and pork belly were okay but unremarkable.
- DeliciousMjcgDined on 8/8/2014Not what you would expect from a "tavern"... Food was simply delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelllent food and atmospherecharlesstDined on 8/7/2014Great dinner the other night at the Russell House Tavern. I've been there before and always enjoyed what's been served to me. The other night was no exception but the combination of food and late night energy was just what I needed after a long work week. Service was great as well. I can only hear from my right side but found the noise level very acceptable, even for a Friday evening when noise tends to reach its peak in many restaurants. Would recommend to anyone looking for great food and a lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not so great ambiencefluffydinerDined on 8/7/2014The food was awesome. It really ruined the mood, however, when our group was seated next to a table of four annoying kids aged 4-7. Their parents, of course, seated themselves further away, knowing full well that they'd go insane sitting close to their own offspring. The burden thus fell onto other people -- us, in this case. They screamed, they shouted, they dropped a plate on the floor next to us, and they fought with one another like jungle beasts. What can I say? The only pleasure I can derive from watching these kids is knowing that it must be real hell at home.
- Delicious LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/4/2014We enjoyed our recent lunch at Russell House Tavern. The Seared Yellowfin Tuna BLT and the R. House Grass-Fed Burger were both incredibly flavorful. The atmosphere is welcoming as is the staff. Draft beer selection is a nice addition to a great menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2014Get the pizza with 4 poached eggs atop- or the anti-eggs Benedict!Special Features:
- Great small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Between the small plates and raw bar selections, there's more than enough for a fun, adventurous meal without even getting an entree. There is a definite bar feel to parts of the seating area. Wine selection is mostly domestic, but still good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickDined on 8/2/2014Food was great; portions not excessively large; our waiter was great - made good suggestions. But noise level was beyond belief.Special Features:
- mastereaterDined on 8/2/2014It was our first time at Russel House...rather tightly packed. The table had to be made not to wobble...the food was very good. A bit pricey for a very noisy and not so fancy restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014I was impressed with how Russell House Tavern handled my special request to slip me the check so my friend couldn't pay for our dinner. Equally impressive was the food and the wait staff. I really enjoyed the experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/1/2014Soggy French fries were a bummer but my steak was good. It was supposed to have asparagus but it was buried under way too many French fries for one person and there wasn't a lot of it. It was enough French fries for four people. Next time I would skip the French fries and ask for more vegetables. The service was terrific. We had an issue and it was handled superbly, deftly and we very much appreciated it. My friends liked what they got. I think I would order something different next time.
- Solid choice in Harvard SquaremacklDined on 7/30/2014Good educated up to date style American tavern with good wines better on basics like steak frites less so on fish eg Arctic char over cookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to meet old friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014I met a good friend of mine who was visiting Boston in Harvard Square. I've heard good reviews about Russell House and I was impressed. Dinner was amazing and we convinced ourselves to order dessert to prolong our visit. I would come back anytime.Special Features:
- New Yorker in BostonFoodisGoodDined on 7/21/2014Food was delicious, consider the Beet Salad! However, there were a few disappointments. I bit too loud for our taste so we opted for the outdoor dining which lacked ambience and it felt somewhat disconnected from the restaurant. My husband's dinner was compliments of the manager because the hamburger was under cooked but it was delicious. No.....really! Not because it was free but the caramelized onions, the pickles, and the fritters were fantastic! The food was so delicious we would definitely try it again when we are back in Boston.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MelanieVIPDined on 7/21/2014The lunch menu seemed limited regarding the options available but the server was happy to help me combine items to pick a good meal - the ahi tuna on the nicoise salad. It was very tasty!Special Features:
- A real tavern!golocalDined on 7/20/2014I was concerned from the pictures on the website that it w going to be more upscale than what I was looking for, since I mostly wanted to try local beers. Once there, I immediately felt at home. Great service; fantastic beer list, including a great variety of locals; great food, from the basics to well beyond regular bar fare.Special Features:
- Great Time!Tres1Dined on 7/19/2014Sound what loud downstairs but the food and service was great!Special Features:
- superb mealEat4FunDined on 7/19/2014My son suggested this place; he had been there several times but never for dinner. we were four, ranging in age from 18 to 65. We all had a great meal -- really excellent seafood especially -- and the service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- hopingweeatoutsideDined on 7/14/2014In the original reservation, it was requested that we be sitted outside. Once we got there it was never mentioned - it would be nice if they followed the reservations through open table much more closely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceLiseDined on 7/13/2014Our waiter was nice, not very attentive but very impatient for us to leave.It was 9:30 pm on a Sunday night, we had finished our dinner and desert and were waiting on a friend to show up.We weren't sure if we were going to have another drink or not, but our waiter kept coming over and asking if we wanted to close out, do you want another drink, are you going to continue to wait. We weren't sure what his problem was as there were plenty of empty tables.We didn't want to irrate our waiter any more so we contacted our friend and told him to meet us at another establishment in Harvard Square.Needless to say I won't be going to back to Russell House Tavern.I only give restaurants one chance.Too many others to waste my time with places like this.Special Features: