Russell House Tavern
14 JFK Street
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Russell House Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://russellhousecambridge.com/
- Phone: (617) 500-3055
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 10:00am - 4:00pm Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Thomas Borgia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Russell House Tavern offers a variety of Private Dining experiences. Please email our private events coordinator for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Courtney Wentworth 6175003055x
A word from Russell House Tavern
Russell House Tavern continues the Harvard Square tradition of local enterprise as a New American Tavern serving seasonally-inspired, classic dishes from New England and beyond. An inviting, multi-level space adorned with vintage photographs of the Square, Russell House Tavern specializes in artisanal fare served alongside carefully hand-crafted cocktails and a distinctive collection of all-American wines and craft beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Russell House Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (80)good for groups (74)vibrant bar scene (62)neighborhood gem (60)hot spot (42)great for brunch (39)great for outdoor dining (32)great for lunch (31)special occasion (29)late-night find (25)romantic (24)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (7)Show More
- Exceptional service and Excellent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We were running late for our reservation, but they called, and held our table. We only had an hour, as we were heading to a show, and our server was extremely accommodating. She notified the kitchen, and our food came out promptly. Amazing chicken, and pork served 3 ways. She was attentive and made sure we were able to settle our bill and leave on time. Warm, comfortable atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Russell SuccessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014Went here on a first date per a co-worker'a recommendation. The food was excellent, and everything on the menu sounds great. I had the duck with brussel sprouts and my date had the steak frites, which leads to my next point: Try the truffle fries! Love the bar as well (from a previous visit); drinks are yummy and servers friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandKDined on 11/19/2014As always, the food was fabulous. It's an interesting menu, with fun takes on some basic dishes. Finally tried the burger for the first time and it lived up to its wonderful reputation. Steamed mussels had great flavor with terrific spicy chorizo. Brussel sprouts were a little dry and underseasoned. Cod filet was also great, althought we were surprised they are still serving this as it's becoming endangered. Service, on the other hand, left something to be desired. Server was nice, handled our questions well, but would disappear for quite a while during service. We had great company so it took the edge off the wait a bit, but he was too slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go after 11OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/20141$ oysters after 11pm !, great food and cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My must go in CambridgeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014Whenever I visit Cambridge I make it a point to dine at Russell House. Their brunch is great and the dinner menu is also fabulous. Try the fig pizza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Too noisyCLZZDined on 11/7/2014Food and service were very nice but would not come back with family as impossible to have a conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bar and locally sourced foodBostonFoodieDined on 11/4/2014Although Russell House can be a little noisy, it's a great Harvard Square find. Their menu is amazing with great locally sourced ingredients and food - the pork belly and scallops with puréed paranips was delicious! Also a great bar list. Will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2014We met our college age nephew there for lunch and it was a nice spot with food that was good for both us and our nephew.Special Features:
- rbzzDined on 10/31/2014Good food, fun cocktails. nice atmosphere. Need to get the Pims recipeSpecial Features:
- SO MANY CHOICESOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014Everything on the menu looked good. EVERYTHING. We spent 15 minutes to decide what to order. It was good food. I really enjoyed the dining experience.Special Features:
- Absolutely loved this place!IngridDined on 10/24/2014We ate at Russell House for the first time last Friday for lunch. I ordered the Smoked Arctic Char Nicoise Salad, my mother had Seared Yellowfin Tuna BLT, and my brother the R. House Grass Fed Burger. All the dishes were delicious! Their Arctic Char was one of the best fish I've ever tasted. My mother thoroughly enjoyed her BLT: the tuna was cooked just so that the center was still rare and it had the perfect amount of spice (Sriracha). My brother said the English muffins buns was a nice touch and liked his burger as well. Overall, Russell House may not have a signature dish, but that is probably because they ensure that each dish on their menu is outstanding. I look forward to dining at this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Great placePatriceDined on 10/22/2014Good choice of menu. Great service and ambiance. Not for romantic dinner but more casual noisy tavern style.Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsoverspeed62VIPDined on 10/21/2014Going to a "Tavern" just outside the Harvard Square T stop caused some concern that the food/service would be mediocre as the foot traffic of visitors would be enough to keep them in business. But our server and her coworkers were all helpful and very friendly. Really cool spot but laid out well enough to allow for conversation. Great beer and drinks selection. I tried some of my daughter's Caesar salad and the mixture of kale and parsley made it extra tasty. My oysters were excellent. I had the three pork (forget the name) entrée and it was awesome. My daughter loved the roasted chicken. I'll definitely return.Special Features:
- HOCR FunOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/19/2014We went there after the HOCR for dinner. Had good fun with a lot of other people. Big tavern atmosphere along with the noise, etc. next time we are in Boston we would go again.Special Features:
- Can't say one bad thingfletchDined on 10/19/2014The Head of the Charles Regatta turns Harvard Square into a madhouse for an entire weekend. Luckily we thought to make reservations. Russell House Tavern was packed but they were quick with drinks and our brunch. Speaking of our drinks and brunch, they were excellent. The drinks were expertly crafted, served in the correct glassware, and strong enough to justify the prices. The food was out-of-this-world, my "Anti-Benedict" was a great remix on a classic brunch item. Would absolutely make the trip to Harvard to eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for a birthday dinner!liss24Dined on 10/17/2014went here with a group of six for my birthday -- excellent food, excellent drinks, excellent service. my only one complaint was that we got churros for dessert, and they seemed rather undercooked (still very yummy, and we're all fine, etc., but they definitely could have been cooked better). but the steak frites a bunch of us had were absolutely wonderful. seriously though -- awesome place to grab dinner/drinks or just a drink - great group spot, and also a good date spot. i'm a fan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Harvard Sq. spotCoopwriteVIPDined on 10/15/2014My friends and I chose to have dinner here after failing to get reservations at some other hot spots. We were glad we ended up here. Craft cocktails and an extensive dinner menu mixing comfort foods with more unusual fare made for an enjoyable evening. The food and service will definitely draw us back here.Special Features:
- Nice and trendyelzabDined on 10/13/2014Nice and trendy in Harvard Square. Prepare to be surrounded by twenty somethings. Good food, albeit served a bit rushed, could be warmer or somewhat less hastily pushed out of the kitchen.Special Features:
- Ok place near HarvardbrendanDined on 10/11/2014Very busy and loud downstairs bar. Food portions large and good quality. Service friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodFoodieDined on 10/10/2014I'm glad we made a reservation because the place was packed on Friday night. The service was a little slow and we found it odd that we were served our oysters along with our entrees, as opposed to beforehand as an app. The food was excellent. I had the arctic char (which was prepared differently than described online), and my boyfriend had the crispy pork belly sandwich. The location is great too - just around the corner from the T. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceEmilyVIPDined on 10/4/2014I was dining with my mother who has very severe food allergies; our waiter (and the rest of the staff) were very attentive to her needs and made sure she had a delicious lunch!Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceDoveVIPDined on 10/4/2014Party of 3, we may have had an off server but she was very slow. The restaurant was quite busy but it took us 10 minutes to get us milk and sugar after we were brought our coffees and tea. We were brought the check before being asked if we wanted dessert and waited another 20 minutes for the check after saying we didn't want dessert. We mentioned to our waitress that we were frustrated at her service so the manager came by with a insincere apology and ice cream. Otherwise, the food ambience is great. I would go back hoping that the waitress is better trained or that I would get better service. May be a one off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy but otherwise fineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/29/2014There is outdoor dining, which would have been preferable, but the weather discouraged it when I was there. The result was sitting in the basement, which is the main dining room. Low ceilings, a bar scene, and no sound absorption made it extremely noisy and hard to hold a conversation. The food was quite good, however, and the menu varied.Special Features:
- Good dining option in Harvard Sqr.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/28/2014The food was very tasty. Fresh and well cooked. Russell House Tavern has a lively pub feel with high quality food and drink. Great dining option in the Square.Special Features:
- Staid but noisyEleniODined on 9/25/2014The food is good but not great. Fish, for example, is of good quality but bland. The noise level downstairs was unbearable. But the bar crowd was having a good time. The courtyard area is more pleasant even when full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quickly becoming a favoriteKateDVIPDined on 9/24/2014This was our 2nd visit to RHT and it was excellent. A few minor complaints. For both visits we had a reservation and both times we had to wait 15 minutes or more for our table. Second-it is REALLY loud in the dining room. Like, hard to hear the person next to you loud. Finally, the dozen oysters we order came sitting on melted ice and ended up submerged. Not appealing. Cocktails are the real stars at this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreaseElismichDined on 9/24/2014The cocktail list is quite fun. I called in the morning to ask about their seafood as I had a friend in town who wanted seafood. I was promised a seafood special for the evening - but when we got there they didn't have one. The food that we did get was overly greasy to the point of being nearly inedible. My burger was tasty. But my company had a pizza and the pork sandwich and finished neither due to the grease.
- Surprise disappointmentArlingtoniteDined on 9/19/2014We went at 6 pm before the theater. The restaurant was stunningly noisy, in the upstairs area. A particularly poorly conceived dish was the pizza with greens and egg. Served with 4 poached eggs on the pizza was the first problem, most people don't eat that many eggs at one sitting. They broke and ran, of course, and turned the pizza to mush, making it impossible to eat. The metal pan that it was served in wasn't flat and moved all over the table when eater was attempting to cut it. The service was fine, but this restaurant will not be a future pre-theater choice for us.
- YummyLolaVIPDined on 9/18/2014Great food and atmosphere. Love the selection of apps. The Moscow Mule is fantastic. They make it with homemade ginger beer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- College stapleOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/14/2014While visiting Harvard square from out of town, this seemed like the spot to go to for lunch. Great tavern feel with even better food- burger and pastrami sandwich come highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehJiniDined on 9/14/2014I was excited to try Russell House Tavern but was disappointed. While the food and drinks were good (not great), the service was fair, at best. It took awhile to get our drinks and our server wasn't very attentive. It was the Sunday Brunch busy time so I'd understand a little but she had runners for the food. There really isn't an excuse. I sat at the bar while my "reserved" table was being fixed. Even the bartender wasn't attentive. Overall it was decent but the service brings down the review.Special Features:
- happening placegasmanDined on 9/13/2014went here before a show , place was packed even at 6 pm...we were pressed for time and the waitress accomodated us so that we could eat and get to the show in time...............small plates were extraordinarily good, and main courses were excellent.......not a place for perace and quiet, but great food and wonderful serviceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014We had a great dinner here beffore attending an ART production. Waitress was extremely knowledgeable not only on the menu/bar selections but also provided alot of fum tips about the history of the building and location. Eclectic menu - fun things to try - everyone loved their dinners.Special Features:
- Poor communicationJuliusDined on 9/12/2014This venue has three areas: an upstairs, a downstairs, and a patio. Communication seem rather poor between the three section. We came to the "lobby" upstairs and identified ourselves as having a reservation from Open Table. Greeter said, "Please make your way downstairs, they already have your table prepared." We went downstairs only to be met by a person who clearly didn't know why we were there. We were seated anyway, but a day later received a note that we hadn't honored our reservation. Should it be up to the patron to explain the situation between upstairs and downstairs? No way.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/8/2014I had the dirty kale salad with shrimp. Excellent. Perfectly prepared and served. My client had the steak frites and said she liked it a lot. The window was inviting, so we sat there, but it turned out to be a little too urban, with smog and car noise. The outside patio would have been a better choice for us, as it's a little removed from the street. Overall, a great choice for a professional lunch.Special Features:
- Mixed on the food, fine otherwiseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2014I had the eggs benedict. The sauce was very buttery and overall the dish was rather salty. The hash browns that came with it were good. My friend had the omlette which she liked. Overall mixed on the food but fine otherwise.
- sunday brunchacopeDined on 9/7/2014we had an amazing time at Russel House Tavern for sunday brunch. we had a great table outside, along with a really helpful server, and we enjoyed every dish. will definitely come again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DynahVIPDined on 9/4/2014The entrance patio is a pleasant surprise for a late night meal. Unfortunately the food doesn't meet the quality of the service or atmosphere. Pork cooked three ways was dry as was the chicken dish. Both, cooked correctly, would be ho-hum at best. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Quick drink & meal before a playnolagalDined on 9/2/2014We were on our way to the ART so we were rushed. Our server helped us order and we finished in time.Special Features:
- Great Place - Trendy TaverndinnerdinerDined on 9/1/2014RHT is a great place for any occasion- has the feel of a medditerrabean bistro mixed with a Boston tavern/pub, served with a contemporary menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.