1177 15th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
ArgentineanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Madison-Hotel/dining/Garces
- Phone: 2025872629x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday
Happy Hour: 4pm - 6pm
Dinner: 5pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, Steakhouse, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jose Garces
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: M Street
- Public Transit: Rural Society is located a few blocks from both the Farragut North station on the Red line and the McPherson Sq station on the Orange and Blue lines of the DC Metro.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet for the first two hours of dining. Drop off is directly in front of the Loews Madison Hotel.
A word from Rural Society
Rural Society is a contemporary Argentine steakhouse from nationally renowned master of Latin cuisine Chef Jose Garces. Inspired by his travels to South America, Rural Society is at once rustic and luxurious, bringing the energy and sophistication of Buenos Aires to Washington. Our menu and primarily South American wine list, combined with our warm hospitality and welcoming décor, transport you far from the bustle of the District to the sweeping cattle ranches and grill-fired kitchens of Argentina.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rural Society reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)special occasion (84)romantic (55)notable wine list (48)good for groups (46)hot spot (45)vibrant bar scene (30)great for lunch (28)neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (21)late-night find (11)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014This was a great find for us. Sean and Wilbur were our wait staff. Sean made excellent suggestions for wine and small plates. We really enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food starts with greatservicejoeyDined on 8/31/2014Our waiters recommendations, were perfect. A perfect dinner made possible by our waiter. he did everything right and at the right time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every wayGoodEaterDined on 8/30/2014Came for hubby's birthday... Had a blast! Excellent service provided by Dinesh and the service team. For dinner the breads and accompaniments, the beef empanadas and beef and pork sausage were super delicious!! The dinner that followed was mouthwatering as well: I got the pitch abba steak and hubby got the Uruguayan ribeye, we share the wild mushrooms and roasted potatoes ....my hubby is super picky and he also loved everything! For dessert we got the chocolate cake who was yummy and the crete brûlée which was mind blowing! we are coming back soon and often! I am so happy I picked this place for his birthday dinner. Next time we will request a secluded booth, but this time we enjoyed ourselves n the main back room near the wine room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Real DealLeendaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our group of 5 diners enjoyed dinner at Rural Society on Saturday night. We had all been to Argentina on multiple occasions, and 1 of us is Argentine. We found the food to be authentic and of high quality, although the lamb sweetbreads were very different from the usual beef - a little gamier, but still delicious (and not for everyone in the party). We had at least 1 selection from every section of the menu and there were many other choices we will have to return to experience. Highlights were the octopus, fugazza-style pizza, short ribs, french fries, house-made chorizo, and the excellent wine selection. Servers were informed and attentive. We definitely plan to enjoy future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and underwhelmingFoodie428VIPDined on 8/30/2014For these prices you expect outstanding food and service. Our waiter was clueless. Four of us each ordered the Bife. He struggled to get the concept that we each wanted a different degree of doneness. Finally the steaks arrived and they got them all mixed up and we the patrons had to sort it out and were left with one over cooked steak that we sent back. When they brought out the replacement it was the wrong steak. Final replacement arrived as the other three were finishing. The steaks themselves were tasty but over-salted as were the mixed mushrooms. Also the steaks arrive on a wooden plank already sliced. I like to see and cut my own steak. The argentine "pizza" was less than memorable - very doughy and nothing like you get in BA.
- Authentic evening at Rural Society!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We dined at Rural Society looking forward to refreshing our acquaintance with Argentinian food after a trip last November that included Buenos Aires. We enjoyed our dinner greatly, from the bread basket through the appetizers and the entrees. Since we're from Iowa, we were pleased that the chef is also from there, and has included Iowa pork on the menu. The trout was especially good, and we were pleased with the variety of offerings - and that mate is available!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Argentinian in DC!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014I had not found a restaurant where I could eat like in Buenos Aires until I ate here. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Overpriced and not good. Can't believe I cancelled a Fiola Mare reservation for this. Worst steak I've ever had, too.Special Features:
- Really bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/27/2014over-priced steak and bad service with a very loud noise level. not going back!
- Argentina ExcellenceKAD1Dined on 8/23/2014An amazing dining experience, Great food, wine, and service set in a fantastic environment created a truly memorable experience. Everything tasted wonderful and I can't wait to try more of the menu.Special Features:
- MESEDined on 8/22/2014Even though the food was good and the service outstanding the prices are outrageous. In addition, the amount of food served it is not commesurate to the price charged. I had friends from out of town whom asked for recommendations and I regret having recommended this restaurant to them and pay for such an outrageous bill.Special Features:
- good choice-expensive-so-so serviceMaureenDined on 8/22/2014location OK- good ambiance, food good but not excellent. excellent menu.SO MANY EMPLOYEES-WHAT DO THEY DO.... very expensive for what was delivered. Argentine name and reputation is the drawing card. Certainly not what one would get in Argentina. Some sides should be included with entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentEllnMllrDined on 8/22/2014What makes for a good restaurant? Excellent quality, taste, and service. Rural Society had it all. Thoroughly enjoyed each of the many tastes we had.Special Features:
- Lunch hour at Rural SocitylunchtimerendevousDined on 8/21/2014It was a very pleasant day so we requested to sit outside. The ambience was great and the overhead fans were just enough to maintain the needed level of comfort. We had a reservation for the lunch hour. I work in close proximity to the restaurant so I was anxious to try it. The service staff was attentive and the food was great. The potatoes were a bit soggy, nevertheless, they tasted delicious. Overall, the food was delicious and I cannot wait to go back and try something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Unbelievable Food and DrinkbmkaiserDined on 8/19/2014The best part of Rural Society is the by far the food. That's not to downplay the creative cocktails like the El Diablo nor the wide selection of wine nor the private whiskey tasting room, but I would come back here for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks yummmm!!!MurfVIPDined on 8/17/2014The best steak in the world are from Argentina. It's a mixture of the grass fed beef and the way they grill. The middle of the restaurant is the wood grill with the contraption they use. Just as delicious as the steaks was the polar opposite in service. Our party of six waited 30 minutes for drinks- 15 before our order was taken. Appetizers were finished by the time the wine arrived. We sat staring at soup without spoons. Just really really bad service. Hope management reads this because the food was amazing!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plate diningPeteDined on 8/17/2014The diner is provided with ample amounts of a variety of well-prepared food for reasonable prices. Also available are numerous properly prepared alcoholic drinks and an international selection of beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServicelbelloDined on 8/17/2014Food was awesome, except the steak temperature was a little on the tepid side. Otherwise, it would ha e been great. Service was awesome too and the wines were paired well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014The food was great. We ordered the chef's tasting menu for $75 but when we got the bill, we were charged the $95 menu (we didn't feel like arguing). We didn't get our wine until we were half way through the 2nd course and I was a little annoyed that we could only order 1 dessert between the 2 of us. Regardless, I definitely recommend this place for the food!
- Restaurant Week August 2014ChefDCDined on 8/16/2014We were treated extremely well at this new establishment. The chef is approachable and meticulous. We received about seven courses per person for the restaurant week special (insane). My favorite course was the steak, however it was a tad salty. My second was the flan. I lived in Spain for several years and came to dislike flan. Fortunately, Rural makes a tres leches style of flan which is incredible.Special Features:
- Outstanding food, service lackingFoodieGirlDined on 8/16/2014Jose Garces does it again with another wonderful dining experience! Didn't realize it was Restaurant Week in DC - a pleasant surprise since you're able to enjoy a selection of the more popular dishes for an incredibly affordable price. Unfortunately, it's apparent the place hasn't been open long since service was not at the level one would expect - the server confused the steak order (shocking in a steakhouse) and it took almost 30 minutes for it to come out. Manager handled the damage by comping our wine (the right thing to do). Once they work out the service kinks, this will be an excellent go-to for carnivores - the meat was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant weekanonymousDined on 8/16/2014This place does restaurant week better than almost anywhere else I've been in DC. Lots of food, and it was all delicious.
- Great LobsterluvlobsterDined on 8/16/2014This was the best Lobster I ever had! PERIOD. The scene was great the service was AMAZING! What is taking you so long? Hurry up and GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/16/2014The provolone cheese is a must! I had the lamb chops that were cooked perfectly. We also had the ribeye which was also fantastic. We got a side of mushrooms which was great with the dishes. For dessert, we had the ice cream which was just the right size to finish off the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentrahulbrVIPDined on 8/16/2014Just what I was looking for, a good spot for business lunch or weekend lunch. Excellent Argentine food, including sandwiches, and for such a nice atmosphere price is quite appropriate. I'll definitely be returning, to try the wine list around dinner time or the bar in the evening.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week successJoannaCDined on 8/15/2014We went for summer Restaurant Week and had a fantastic dinner. The tasting menu was delicious. Quality of food was excellent, especially the steak, mushrooms and mash potatoes. The only downside was the cheese bread they served in between the 1st and second course, not sure how that fit in with the Latin menu. Seemed like a filler, but it was good too. Service was also excellent! Must try new restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!AlexVIPDined on 8/15/2014Every dish was heaven! We will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UffoodDined on 8/15/2014I was disappointed. The chorizo and morcilla didn't taste anything like in Argentina and the bife de chorizo came sliced. The panqueque with dulce de leche was very dry and tasteless. Besides it was very expensive. I won't go back
- Reminded me of MontevideoStephenVIPDined on 8/15/2014I lived in Montevideo and traveled frequently to neighboring Buenos Aires, so the food was familiar to me. Rural is a meat lover's delight. Everything was well prepared. My one complaint would be the wine list, which had only one Uruguayan wine, and that wine was not very good and was overpriced. The wine list in general is overpriced for the quality of wines offered, but there are a few reasonable wines. But if you want good steak, this is one of the best places in DC.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So far so good !MicDCDined on 8/15/2014A colleague and I tried Rural Society for lunch during Restaurant Week. This is a very new restaurant connected to the Loews hotel. Service was excellent, they are obviously trying hard to make a good impression. RW menu was good, excellent fresh salad to start, then a full size sandwich (Pollo Asado), then a small portion of flan with mango sorbet (it was enough for me). All well prepared and tasty. We sat outside on the enclosed terrace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week perfectionCJMMDined on 8/14/2014My boyfriend and I went here for restaurant week - it was delicious! They served thinly sliced octopus with a tomato and sprouts topping and cheesy flatbread for the first/second courses, chorizo, and steak cooked to perfection with 3 amazing different kinds of mushrooms and decadent rich and creamy mashed potatoes. The dessert - caramel flan with mango sorbet - is also to die for! We'd definitely go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great spotLizeDined on 8/14/2014We didn't know quite what to expect when we took a chance on restaurant week here, but we were *very* pleasantly surprised. Their tasting menu was beyond generous, and every dish was flavorful and very well prepared. Add to that great decor and excellent service, and it was one of the best meals we've had in DC. We'll be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Let the Name Deceive YouBertVIPDined on 8/14/2014We didn't know what to expect with a restaurant named Rural Society at the famed Madison Hotel. The presentation was far from what we former Midwesterners were accustomed to. From the thinly-sliced, grilled octopus, to the shimmery tasty anchovies and densely rich and flavorful Creme Caramel, the menu was a flavor fest. Even the whipped, mashed potatoes offered up a unique and tasty angle. The bread basket was heaped with a tempting variety of crusty and luscious buns, rolls and slices of exquisitely-prepared bread. The chorizo was plump, richly-teeming with spices and grilled to perfection. All courses set before us were so superb that the highlighted steak almost became secondary, but it was grilled perfectly and rich with flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/14/2014Really loved this place, close to my office, host seated us at a semi private table for lunch. Had the Restaurant week menu, and the burger was one of the best I've ever had! Will be back to order from the regular menu!Special Features:
- Excellent Argentine restaurant!ChloeDined on 8/13/2014We had dinner on Restaurant week only one month after it opened. The menu had a wonderful selection of argentine flavors. I loved the relaxed pace, no rushing us. I'm coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rural Society is Great!chismeVIPDined on 8/13/2014All the food in our Restaurant Week tasting menu was wonderful, and there was lots of it. The rib eye steak is the standout among standouts. We'll be returning a lot.Special Features:
- Fantastic addition to DCCateDined on 8/13/2014My group arrived for a restaurant week dinner and was nicely greeted. The ambience and decor is sophisticated Latin ranch, and was appreciated by all. We loved the open fire kitchen, intimate booth setting, lighting and service. Dishes were explained, and everything was superb. A couple were not piping hot when brought out, and the potatoes lacked some creativity (compared to the rest of the menu) However, EVERYTHING else was delicious. I have already recommended this place and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good placeNaganaDined on 8/13/2014Our table was basically a private one with a view outside. We also had a view of the open flame kitchen which we found interesting to observe. Our waiter, Daniel, was very attentive, yet not over attentive. We had the restaurant week menu and itr was very satisfying. My friends love the pork belly soup and the chicken and ham sandwiches. The dessert of mango and dulce de leche was excellent-just the right size (small) and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great For Restaurant Week!DCFoodieDined on 8/12/2014My girlfriends and I had a wonderful time at Rural Society during restaurant week. Much to our surprise, they served an entire tasting menu, and each dish was wonderful. The waiters were also very helpful and accommodating. I definitely plan to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Rural SocietyOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/12/2014Went bank for dinner two nights in a row. Recommended others at work to go, and those that have gone also loved it!Special Features: