1177 15th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
ArgentineanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Madison-Hotel/dining/Garces
- Phone: 2025872629x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday
Happy Hour: 4pm - 6pm
Dinner: 5pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, Steakhouse, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jose Garces
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: M Street
- Public Transit: Rural Society is located a few blocks from both the Farragut North station on the Red line and the McPherson Sq station on the Orange and Blue lines of the DC Metro.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet for the first two hours of dining. Drop off is directly in front of the Loews Madison Hotel.
A word from Rural Society
Rural Society is a contemporary Argentine steakhouse from nationally renowned master of Latin cuisine Chef Jose Garces. Inspired by his travels to South America, Rural Society is at once rustic and luxurious, bringing the energy and sophistication of Buenos Aires to Washington. Our menu and primarily South American wine list, combined with our warm hospitality and welcoming décor, transport you far from the bustle of the District to the sweeping cattle ranches and grill-fired kitchens of Argentina.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rural Society reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (132)special occasion (97)romantic (63)good for groups (59)notable wine list (59)hot spot (57)vibrant bar scene (34)neighborhood gem (34)great for lunch (33)great for outdoor dining (25)late-night find (12)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Dinner at Rural Society was an extraordinary experience: the food was perfect, the service excellent and the atmosphere as authentic as one can probably get in this part of the world. I am originally form Uruguay, and grew up with this food almost every day; many memories were brought back. From appetizer to dessert, everything was perfection. Outstanding job!!Special Features:
- Fantastic Service!!!!Blondie2846VIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was quite good - similar to Del Campo. I would say more inventive, so some things were better than others. We did the tasting menu - great way to try a bunch of things and we were happy with majority of them. There is a lot of food though - so the $75 or $95 price tag is warranted. The service was impeccable though, and really made the dinner. Our server had a great personality and really went the extra mile to make sure our dinner was special, and we had everything we needed. Timing was great (although we aren't the kind of people that like to finish a dinner out in less than an hour and a half). The atmosphere was great, partly due to the service. I would definitely recommend this place!Special Features:
- nickDined on 9/15/2014Excellent food and appetizers, however it is pricey! I had the Lamb chops that were the best i have ever had. My wife had the Ravioli from the Tapas menu and thought it was excellent as well. Extensive wine list from South America that was reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarians need not dine hereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014I am not a red meat eater but can almost always find veggies, chix or fish to satisfy my hunger. I chose lobster - it was a smushy mess. Overseasoned too. The sweet potatoes were served in a black cast iron dish. Unpleasant aftertaste from whatever was previously cooked in the dish. The drinks were amazing. Skipped dessert.
- Good. That's it.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014The food and drinks were good, but there is better beef elsewhere in the city. For example, Fogo de Chao and Texas de Brazil. The evening I ate there, accompanied by my wife and another couple, there was a smoke issue in the kitchen, which caused flooding, incessant alarms, and brought out the fire department. To their credit, our server, Michael J, and the manager, Adam, were apologetic, and our check was half- comped. If I return, it will be for lunch.
- Welcome NewcomerYUMMYTUMMYVIPDined on 9/13/2014Overall both food and service were very good. The saffron taglierini was good but lacked any saffron flavor is grossly overpriced for the very small portion you receive. The wine list is interesting with many pricey bottles but you can find a good wine in the mid $40 range (the least expensive). A weak spot in the service is too aggressively pouring the wine, both by our server and a manager who stopped by our table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014My husband and I dined at Rural Society to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary. The experience was more than we hoped for. We did the expensive tasting menu, which included many courses and 4 different wines. The tasting menu was "chef's choice." I gave them a couple of foods I wouldn't eat. We got a couple of things that weren't my favorite, but husband worked on those. T here was certainly plenty of food and all of it was excellent. Among the items were Kobi beef, lamb chops, roasted red peppers, 1/2 lobster. The wines were wonderful. I liked 3 of them a lot and my husband liked all 4. Service was excellent. Dinner took 3 hours, but we hardly noticed. We sat outside where it was quieter than inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat rural!DiningDanVIPDined on 9/12/2014Although we had to wait a bit for our table despite a reservation (they comped us a bottle of wine for the wait-a nice touch), everything else was great. Chorizo sausage was a great item to split as an appetizer. Steaks were very good. Definitely a place we'll go back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoping for moreFTS4Dined on 9/12/2014Having visited other Garces restaurants I was hoping his DC location would be as good as his others. I have to say the service was not up to par, we were seated at 8:20 (reservation time was 8:15) and our food did not arrive until 10:10pm. We did have an appetizer course but the delay between courses was unacceptable. My steak was tough as was my wife's. The empanadas were very tasty.
- New Favorite RestaurantMPzDCDined on 9/12/2014Outstanding food, from the first course to dessert. The empanadas were incredible and the alfajores are the best in town. Service was superlative as well.Special Features:
- Fresh, Amazing food, Terrible ServDCFoodieDined on 9/11/2014Bread basket - Amazing; beef empanadas - delicious; crab canelloni- must have; service - horrible. One of the servers was literally sticking her hand into our table to tell another table next to us what we were having; when the other table asked the server a question after the server had walked away, the server literally SHOUTED OVER US to answer their question. And our server had a weird, sarcastic personality that missed the mark with my friend and I. It's a new restaurant, so I'm hoping these are growing pains, because the restaurant is steps away from my apartment and a great place for a weeknight dinner/drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully DifferentJaguar1Dined on 9/9/2014This is a great alternative to the typical DC steakhouse. We did an all-appetizer meal, which was more than filling and included samples of their delicious grilled meats. Interesting wine list (again, not typical) and GREAT service, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceCMikeandDebiDined on 9/6/2014Excellent and somewhat exotic choice of entrees and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced with poor serviceStephenVIPDined on 9/5/2014We made the mistake of ordering the expensive Chef's Tasting Menu, which bills itself as an Argentine-style Parrilla. I lived in Uruguay for four years and traveled to Argentina about 40 times, so I know what we should have gotten; we did not get it. While we did get a chorizo and some steak, we also got a dish of beets in an orange sauce, over-salted potatoes in a cheese sauce, a small overcooked lobster (there is no lobster in Argentina), and a seafood pasta dish. Service was inattentive: for example, I never got the black pepper I requested and I had to ask three times to get more chimichuri. I came once before for Restaurant Week and was pleased with the food. This time was a disappointment.
- OMG!! Absolutely delicious!FoodGirlVIPDined on 9/2/2014The prices are definitely high but it's clear with every bite that only the finest quality ingredients are used and masters prepare them. There is a broad selection of small plates. The red peppers, mushrooms, and braised octopus are especially good. Meat is the star of the show. The portions are nicely sized to be indulgent, but not gut busting. Everything we 4 had was perfectly cooked and so tasty! Sides are ordered separately and that leads to my one complaint. Our sides were excellent (the potatoes!) and of a size to be shared by 2 or 3, but you more or less have to order at least one because the meat entrees come alone. Nothing else is on the plate but meat. You'll be happy you went and want to go again, but it's expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had dinner with familyoolafDined on 9/1/2014Wonderful dinner, food was delicious, staff was accommodating. Adam was a charming managerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoycebDined on 8/31/2014This was a great find for us. Sean and Wilbur were our wait staff. Sean made excellent suggestions for wine and small plates. We really enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food starts with greatservicejoeyDined on 8/31/2014Our waiters recommendations, were perfect. A perfect dinner made possible by our waiter. he did everything right and at the right time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every wayGoodEaterDined on 8/30/2014Came for hubby's birthday... Had a blast! Excellent service provided by Dinesh and the service team. For dinner the breads and accompaniments, the beef empanadas and beef and pork sausage were super delicious!! The dinner that followed was mouthwatering as well: I got the pitch abba steak and hubby got the Uruguayan ribeye, we share the wild mushrooms and roasted potatoes ....my hubby is super picky and he also loved everything! For dessert we got the chocolate cake who was yummy and the crete brûlée which was mind blowing! we are coming back soon and often! I am so happy I picked this place for his birthday dinner. Next time we will request a secluded booth, but this time we enjoyed ourselves n the main back room near the wine room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Real DealLeendaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our group of 5 diners enjoyed dinner at Rural Society on Saturday night. We had all been to Argentina on multiple occasions, and 1 of us is Argentine. We found the food to be authentic and of high quality, although the lamb sweetbreads were very different from the usual beef - a little gamier, but still delicious (and not for everyone in the party). We had at least 1 selection from every section of the menu and there were many other choices we will have to return to experience. Highlights were the octopus, fugazza-style pizza, short ribs, french fries, house-made chorizo, and the excellent wine selection. Servers were informed and attentive. We definitely plan to enjoy future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and underwhelmingFoodie428VIPDined on 8/30/2014For these prices you expect outstanding food and service. Our waiter was clueless. Four of us each ordered the Bife. He struggled to get the concept that we each wanted a different degree of doneness. Finally the steaks arrived and they got them all mixed up and we the patrons had to sort it out and were left with one over cooked steak that we sent back. When they brought out the replacement it was the wrong steak. Final replacement arrived as the other three were finishing. The steaks themselves were tasty but over-salted as were the mixed mushrooms. Also the steaks arrive on a wooden plank already sliced. I like to see and cut my own steak. The argentine "pizza" was less than memorable - very doughy and nothing like you get in BA.
- Authentic evening at Rural Society!h8tobboredDined on 8/30/2014We dined at Rural Society looking forward to refreshing our acquaintance with Argentinian food after a trip last November that included Buenos Aires. We enjoyed our dinner greatly, from the bread basket through the appetizers and the entrees. Since we're from Iowa, we were pleased that the chef is also from there, and has included Iowa pork on the menu. The trout was especially good, and we were pleased with the variety of offerings - and that mate is available!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Argentinian in DC!UctpasaDined on 8/30/2014I had not found a restaurant where I could eat like in Buenos Aires until I ate here. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just not goodMatthewDined on 8/29/2014Overpriced and not good. Can't believe I cancelled a Fiola Mare reservation for this. Worst steak I've ever had, too.Special Features:
- Really bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/27/2014over-priced steak and bad service with a very loud noise level. not going back!
- Argentina ExcellenceKAD1Dined on 8/23/2014An amazing dining experience, Great food, wine, and service set in a fantastic environment created a truly memorable experience. Everything tasted wonderful and I can't wait to try more of the menu.Special Features:
- MESEDined on 8/22/2014Even though the food was good and the service outstanding the prices are outrageous. In addition, the amount of food served it is not commesurate to the price charged. I had friends from out of town whom asked for recommendations and I regret having recommended this restaurant to them and pay for such an outrageous bill.Special Features:
- good choice-expensive-so-so serviceMaureenDined on 8/22/2014location OK- good ambiance, food good but not excellent. excellent menu.SO MANY EMPLOYEES-WHAT DO THEY DO.... very expensive for what was delivered. Argentine name and reputation is the drawing card. Certainly not what one would get in Argentina. Some sides should be included with entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentEllnMllrDined on 8/22/2014What makes for a good restaurant? Excellent quality, taste, and service. Rural Society had it all. Thoroughly enjoyed each of the many tastes we had.Special Features:
- Lunch hour at Rural SocitylunchtimerendevousDined on 8/21/2014It was a very pleasant day so we requested to sit outside. The ambience was great and the overhead fans were just enough to maintain the needed level of comfort. We had a reservation for the lunch hour. I work in close proximity to the restaurant so I was anxious to try it. The service staff was attentive and the food was great. The potatoes were a bit soggy, nevertheless, they tasted delicious. Overall, the food was delicious and I cannot wait to go back and try something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Unbelievable Food and DrinkbmkaiserDined on 8/19/2014The best part of Rural Society is the by far the food. That's not to downplay the creative cocktails like the El Diablo nor the wide selection of wine nor the private whiskey tasting room, but I would come back here for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks yummmm!!!MurfVIPDined on 8/17/2014The best steak in the world are from Argentina. It's a mixture of the grass fed beef and the way they grill. The middle of the restaurant is the wood grill with the contraption they use. Just as delicious as the steaks was the polar opposite in service. Our party of six waited 30 minutes for drinks- 15 before our order was taken. Appetizers were finished by the time the wine arrived. We sat staring at soup without spoons. Just really really bad service. Hope management reads this because the food was amazing!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plate diningPeteDined on 8/17/2014The diner is provided with ample amounts of a variety of well-prepared food for reasonable prices. Also available are numerous properly prepared alcoholic drinks and an international selection of beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServicelbelloDined on 8/17/2014Food was awesome, except the steak temperature was a little on the tepid side. Otherwise, it would ha e been great. Service was awesome too and the wines were paired well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014The food was great. We ordered the chef's tasting menu for $75 but when we got the bill, we were charged the $95 menu (we didn't feel like arguing). We didn't get our wine until we were half way through the 2nd course and I was a little annoyed that we could only order 1 dessert between the 2 of us. Regardless, I definitely recommend this place for the food!
- Restaurant Week August 2014ChefDCDined on 8/16/2014We were treated extremely well at this new establishment. The chef is approachable and meticulous. We received about seven courses per person for the restaurant week special (insane). My favorite course was the steak, however it was a tad salty. My second was the flan. I lived in Spain for several years and came to dislike flan. Fortunately, Rural makes a tres leches style of flan which is incredible.Special Features:
- Outstanding food, service lackingFoodieGirlDined on 8/16/2014Jose Garces does it again with another wonderful dining experience! Didn't realize it was Restaurant Week in DC - a pleasant surprise since you're able to enjoy a selection of the more popular dishes for an incredibly affordable price. Unfortunately, it's apparent the place hasn't been open long since service was not at the level one would expect - the server confused the steak order (shocking in a steakhouse) and it took almost 30 minutes for it to come out. Manager handled the damage by comping our wine (the right thing to do). Once they work out the service kinks, this will be an excellent go-to for carnivores - the meat was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant weekanonymousDined on 8/16/2014This place does restaurant week better than almost anywhere else I've been in DC. Lots of food, and it was all delicious.
- Great LobsterluvlobsterDined on 8/16/2014This was the best Lobster I ever had! PERIOD. The scene was great the service was AMAZING! What is taking you so long? Hurry up and GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/16/2014The provolone cheese is a must! I had the lamb chops that were cooked perfectly. We also had the ribeye which was also fantastic. We got a side of mushrooms which was great with the dishes. For dessert, we had the ice cream which was just the right size to finish off the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.