1177 15th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
ArgentineanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://dc.ruralsocietyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (202) 587-2629
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday
Happy Hour: 4pm - 6pm
Dinner: 5pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, Steakhouse, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jose Garces
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: M Street
- Public Transit: Rural Society is located a few blocks from both the Farragut North station on the Red line and the McPherson Sq station on the Orange and Blue lines of the DC Metro.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet for the first two hours of dining. Drop off is directly in front of the Loews Madison Hotel.
A word from Rural Society
Rural Society is a contemporary Argentine steakhouse from nationally renowned master of Latin cuisine Chef Jose Garces. Inspired by his travels to South America, Rural Society is at once rustic and luxurious, bringing the energy and sophistication of Buenos Aires to Washington. Our menu and primarily South American wine list, combined with our warm hospitality and welcoming décor, transport you far from the bustle of the District to the sweeping cattle ranches and grill-fired kitchens of Argentina.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rural Society reviews from OpenTable diners
356 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (212)special occasion (161)good for groups (106)hot spot (89)notable wine list (89)romantic (88)neighborhood gem (54)vibrant bar scene (48)great for lunch (48)great for outdoor dining (29)great for brunch (26)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (4)Show More
- slow, chaotic service made for unsatisfying dinnerDrewDined on 11/18/2014we came here for cocktail week -- specifically for the drink and food options. But this is one of those situations where the lack of responsiveness, long waits for drinks, then, quick pile up of ordered food all at once, the inattention to detail, and inconsistent service soured the experience. some of the dishes (the small plates featuring meat and vegetables) were really good, but empty wine glasses, immediate delivery of all the food at once, and some surprises about food presentation made the evening chaotic and not as enjoyable. we did get some reductions on the bill, which made sense and would be expected. I don't think I would choose to go back to try it out again, and if i were to talk about the restaurant, it would be with some reservation.
- Meat !ZoozayDined on 11/9/2014Flat Iron steak was amazing! So was our waiter, Sean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food; Mediocre Serviceggw3Dined on 11/9/2014Sunday Brunch. We had a nice roomy booth. Food was very good. I had a Traditional breakfast (eggs, potatoes, meat, toast), my wife had French Toast, and we split the Asado Mixto. Eggs were cooked perfectly; potatoes were light and crunchy. The sausage sampler was fantastic. Service was weak. Our server was friendly and efficient but scarce. After receiving the breakfast dishes we noticed we didn't have any butter. Our server was nowhere around. When another server passed by we asked her if we could get some butter. She looked extremely offended. After an awkward silence, she replied with a huff and said, "let me find your server." Several minutes later we still didn't have butter. We asked the busboy and he promptly brought some.
- Fabulous dinner at Rural SocietyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014My wife and I wanted to have a special occasion for a weekend visit by my mother, who was born and raised in Argentina and travels there often, as have I. Also in attendance were our two kids, aged 20 and 18. My mother was very impressed with the breadth of the menu and was delighted with the food, the wine and the decor, as were all of us. The kids were wowed by the amazing grill. Terrific appetizers (empanadas, chorizos, octopus carpaccio) and fantastic steaks, with scrumptious sides (particularly the wild mushrooms and beets). Excellent, not over-priced Malbec. Great desserts. Service was splendid. All around, a great meal, and we all had a thoroughly enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the price?flyonthewallDined on 11/5/2014Had dinner with a small group mid-week. Pros: got in making same morning reservation which we couldn't do at other places, dining room was quiet enough for good conversation, fabulous homemade bread basket, good food. Cons: expensive ($40-50 entrees), we made a meal by sharing several sides/apps, food was good but some was super salty (the provolone app) and some was kind of bland/disappointing (ember roasted beets could have been boiled for all I could tell), wait staff was not the most attentive but okay. We had an enjoyable meal, but I can't help thinking we could have done better for $50+ per person for food alone, even in DC. Maybe going for a full entree would have left us more satisfied?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and deliciousGoodfoodieVIPDined on 11/5/2014I had been wanting to try Rural Society since the WAPO food critic has rated this new eatery repeatedly. The space is lovely ( I was there early so it was still quiet). Two of us ordered the ribeye and one chose the Waygu rump cut; both were perfectly prepared. The sides and small plates are the real standouts though: the gaucho sausage and mushrooms were both exceptional. Other Vegas So, you don't have to be a meat lover to enjoy your meal here. I'll be back to try the lamb chops! It's pricey! so not a complete replacement for Ray's the Steaks for ordinary cuts. So, take a group and do a tasting of the really interesting cuts.Special Features:
- BuddyVIPDined on 10/31/2014We had an amazing dining experience for dinner with an incredible waiter who was very knowledgable and accomadating. He also offered many extra tastings on the house with a detailed explanation of everything!! We'll certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Not Return8oclockDined on 10/31/2014Service was overbearing, we did not need the entire menu recited to us, we can read and two in our party read and Speak Spanish, waiting tables is NOT theater. Steaks were outrageously salty and overpriced. The green chimichurri was the only thing that cut the salt enough to make the steak edible. The touted bread selection was mostly uneatable, what was the flat stuff, like a wilted gluten free cracker. The wine list was also overpriced. My one very worldly overseas guest were polite but did not finish their steak. I chose the restaurant based on food critic reviews that should be reconsidered. Avoid unless staying at hotel and on expense account.
- Did not live up to my expectationsDiamondboy415Dined on 10/31/2014I was looking forward for a long time to come here to try some Argentinian quality food. So the special occasion was to celebrate my friend's birthday. We are both from Argentina. The ambiance was very good. Noise level good, the Malbec Zuccardi was excellent! The morcilla and Chorizo was delicious along with the variety of good bread. The part that was dissapointing was the main course El Bife De Chorizo. First it was burnt, two it was sliced and three it was thin and finally it was fatty. We concluded that it was not even what we asked for. In Argentina you never slice it, you serve it whole and it's thick and never ever burn it. The waiter was more than happy to replace it but we did not want to waste food. He also could loosen up a bit.Special Features:
- sseatsVIPDined on 10/30/2014Generous portions of very good food. Downside was waiter who was condescending and uncomfortable seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visitFernandoVIPDined on 10/30/2014Argentinian and Uruguayan parrillas are a great venue for wood-fired steak. Rural Society (Sociedad Rural is the name of a typical agricultural "chamber of commerce") doesn't disappoint. Grass-fed beef from Uruguay is a highlight, as is the wine list of typical vintages from Argentina and Uruguay to accompany your meal. Try a glass of tempranillo with bife de chorizo and a side of remolachas and you'll feel like you stopped in Montevideo's "Mercado del Puerto" for lunch. Service could be more knowledgeable about the menu, and the "chimichurri" could have more garlic, but other than that this is a place worth visiting more than once.
- My second visitDCPattieVIPDined on 10/28/2014Not as good as I remembered. Food good quality and tasty, but far too salty. Service slow. Drinks took a long time. Appetizers did not arrive together. And so on.
- Best birthday dinner everKateDined on 10/28/2014Delicious and the service was perfect. The staff even signed a birthday card for me!!Special Features:
- darn tastyRandJinVADined on 10/27/2014Food was all tasty. We did the more expensive chef's tasting menu. The portions were a little bit bigger than with most tasting menus. Waiter was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Low in staff and no apologies shownOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/26/2014Too much waiting despite a reservation. The staff felt they had over compensated us by not charging us for a coke and gave us some popcorn while we were waiting--shabby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/25/2014We were seated in one of the alcoves off the main dining room. While feeling a tiny bit isolated, the noise level was much lower and conversation easy. Our waiter, Alex was superb. He was attentive and informative. We did the tasting menu, which was wonderful. Not every dish was outstanding, but all get very good, and some superb. The pace of the meal was perfect. Lots of dishes; lots of time to enjoy! We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- But we had a reservationwildmanVIPDined on 10/25/2014Superb food. Everything that we had was excellent–appetizers and entrées. The waiter was very personable and knowledgeable. They also had a very reasonable wine list. Unfortunately the evening was marred by a long wait to be seated–nearly 40 minutes–in spite of having a reservation. The reception group seem to think that this was just fine as a matter of course even when it was clear that we were very unhappy–– There is a small bar and wait area and one might have thought that after half hour so something would be provided as I made clear that this was a special occasion that was not going so well to the wait. I would recommend it, and try it again.Special Features:
- had to try itOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/25/2014I found the seating uncomfortable, the server inattentive, and the food was served cold. Having wood fired meats, i would have expected hot entrees. I likely won't go back.
- My love for Jose Garces continues!InsomnaKatDined on 10/25/2014Another jem by Iron Chef Jose Garces. Everything was amazing, from the Malbec butter to the veggies to meats and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aindcDined on 10/25/2014Too pricey - not enough value- but otherwise excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing MealJohnMCOVIPDined on 10/24/2014Had dinner at Rural Society with a group of friends (8 of us) and everyone really enjoyed their meal - from appetizers, through desert, every course was amazingly delicious. The octopus appetizer and mushroom side are not to be missed. An absolute treat - great food in a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceHoosHogsDined on 10/24/2014Zoe was our waitress and she was great. Good food and El Diablo margarita rounded the meal out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014We were from out of town and looking for a great place to eat for dinner. What a pleasant surprise it was to find a restaurant with fabulous food and friendly wait staff. We had the pizza and the cookie dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unapologetically CarnivorousRileyVIPDined on 10/22/2014The meat dishes were all they were cracked up to be -- and that short rib was especially tasty. Nice side order options, and well worth several return visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too slow to be seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014I booked a reservation 2 weeks in advance and required a private room. when I got there, it took them 30 minutes to seat us and they did not even put us in a private room. After the seating, everything at the restaurant was excellent
- Needs work but has potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/22/2014Still working on service - although everyone was very friendly and extremely polite and pleasant I was left standing at the front desk when nobody was there to greet new arrivals;the server didn't understand our order and didn't put everything in. The white wine was going off a bit (from the temperature you could tell it hadn't been stored properly), and even though the menu looks great, the food was different from what I expected. Many things have cream or cheese in them, from the sweet potatoes to the stuffed tenderloin. If you have allergies ask lots of questions.The bread and condiments were excellent!Special Features:
- great for breakfast, too!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2014i don't think most people come here for breakfast, since it's known for its meat, but rural society was perfectly fine and well-priced for breakfast, which is good for people staying in the hotel to know. the bacon that came with my eggs was really amazing, some of the best i've ever had, though i wasn't surprised. i love the dark wood and the decor, and the service was nice. looking forward to trying this place again!Special Features:
- Great for special occasionStrollerDined on 10/21/2014Superb beef. Luncheon menu very limited. Decor minimalist, hence noisy when not even full.Special Features:
- Overpriced mediocre foodGTHCVIPDined on 10/20/2014The food was just ok, and since it is so expensive, I wouldn't recommend it. There are better places to go in DC for the same price or even cheaper. Spend your money on something that actually deserves it.
- Incredible food!Mir84Dined on 10/19/2014My boyfriend and I had dinner at Rural Society for his 30th birthday, and we couldn't be happier. We ordered the $75 tasting menu and the food was phenomenal, the service was great, and we enjoyed the extensive wine selection. The restaurant is pricey but if you are looking for a place to go for a special occasion, I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!!AureliaVIPDined on 10/19/2014The restaurant has great food and amazing service.Special Features:
- A Niche BoothBeasyWeasyDined on 10/19/2014We were a party of 4 - our two college aged teens and us. We were given one of the 'niche booths' which had a view to the outside seating area and the other side open to the restaurant - quiet but not cut off from the hustle and bustle of the restaurant. Initially we were given the brunch menu, but we wanted steak and without any fuss we were handed the lunch menu. The food and service was excellent. Highlight - the steak lovers amongst us had the chefs signature steak.Special Features:
- slow service, mediocre meataaronhDined on 10/19/2014The service here was very slow, almost half an hour just to get water. When the food came, the steak, the reason to eat at an Argentine-style parilla restaurant, was average, lukewarm with little flavor. It was dressed in a chimichurri that was dried out, as if the dish had been sitting under a heat lamp for a while.
- Great place for brunchAsolerwDined on 10/19/2014We enjoyed Sunday brunch. We made a reservation through Open Table on Saturday and were very pleased when they walked was to our table in a semi private room, it was great. Food was delicious. We started with salmon ahumado and facturas. My husband had the steak and eggs and I had the fogazza. Food was wonderful, service not the greatest.Special Features:
- confusedjrpearDined on 10/18/2014different waiters helping our table, not knowing what others have done, confusing our orders, forgetting our wine and not bringing us bread we had requested until the check arrived at the end of the meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingron1Dined on 10/18/2014i made a reservation, but couldn't get in until 9:15 on a saturday night. then i had to wait after that for about 15 minutes or longer to get a seat. the hostesses were not very attentive at first, but one finally got me a table on the outside, in a plastic covered room. but that was ok. the problem then was that it took way too long to get my order in. then especially way too long to get the food to the table. when i got it, i was disappointed, but realized later i had probably ordered the wrong beef item, as it was fat-lined, chewy and really not good, and it cost $40. had i gotten in on time, had good service and ordered a different dish, i believe i would have liked the place.Special Features:
- The steak is the best part.SaraDined on 10/18/2014We were excited to try rural society because my husband is a huge fan of whiskey village in Philly- same chef, I think. Overall we liked rural society, but we won't rush back. The steak and sausage we ordered were excellent, and so was the Argentinian wine. However, sides we ordered were not great. The octopus was not very tasty, and the acorn squash was hard. The Brussel sprouts were decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool restaurantTgoldVIPDined on 10/18/2014This is a cool restaurant with excellent food. The proveleta, beef empanada, and chorizo were all excellent starters. The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is that I personally don't care for the grass fed ribeye. It's too lean and for me, this takes away some of the character of the ribeye. It was cooked and seasoned perfectly and the sides were amazing. But I would much rather have the American corn fed prime beef at Bourbon steak... Nice liquor selection and some nice wines. This is a restaurant worth checking out for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indifferent ServiceDiningElsewhereVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food was very good except for being consistently over salted. The service was uneven. At times, some of the staff were attentive. But at other times, there either was no one around or those who were around apparently had something to do more important than waiting on tables. It should not take 30 minutes to receive and pay the check.
- Good FoodFoodandatmospherelovetDined on 10/15/2014Food is great...service is good....but... Really atmosphere is nonexistant, tables and booths look cheap.If you pay $45 the entree and $12 for an appetizer and $11 for a side of vegetables or potatoes ( small portions) and are expected to be happy on a basic almost cafeteria like table and chair, bright glaring lights , Reviews had been wonderfull in Washington Post saying you forget it is in a Hotel. Well this is not true, it is for people who come in and iut of the city want a good meal with fast service and do not care about nice tables. not a place for celebrating a Special occasion, too bad because food is good but most people there were on business working on their Iphones. Not a romantic place at all. But food & service are good.Special Features: