1177 15th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
ArgentineanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Madison-Hotel/dining/Garces
- Phone: 2025872629x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday
Happy Hour: 4pm - 6pm
Dinner: 5pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, Steakhouse, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jose Garces
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: M Street
- Public Transit: Rural Society is located a few blocks from both the Farragut North station on the Red line and the McPherson Sq station on the Orange and Blue lines of the DC Metro.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet for the first two hours of dining. Drop off is directly in front of the Loews Madison Hotel.
A word from Rural Society
Rural Society is a contemporary Argentine steakhouse from nationally renowned master of Latin cuisine Chef Jose Garces. Inspired by his travels to South America, Rural Society is at once rustic and luxurious, bringing the energy and sophistication of Buenos Aires to Washington. Our menu and primarily South American wine list, combined with our warm hospitality and welcoming décor, transport you far from the bustle of the District to the sweeping cattle ranches and grill-fired kitchens of Argentina.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rural Society reviews from OpenTable diners
354 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (209)special occasion (164)good for groups (103)hot spot (96)notable wine list (95)romantic (89)neighborhood gem (56)vibrant bar scene (53)great for lunch (46)great for outdoor dining (34)great for brunch (22)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (3)Show More
- My second visitDCPattieVIPDined on 10/28/2014Not as good as I remembered. Food good quality and tasty, but far too salty. Service slow. Drinks took a long time. Appetizers did not arrive together. And so on.
- Best birthday dinner everKateDined on 10/28/2014Delicious and the service was perfect. The staff even signed a birthday card for me!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/25/2014We were seated in one of the alcoves off the main dining room. While feeling a tiny bit isolated, the noise level was much lower and conversation easy. Our waiter, Alex was superb. He was attentive and informative. We did the tasting menu, which was wonderful. Not every dish was outstanding, but all get very good, and some superb. The pace of the meal was perfect. Lots of dishes; lots of time to enjoy! We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- But we had a reservationwildmanVIPDined on 10/25/2014Superb food. Everything that we had was excellent–appetizers and entrées. The waiter was very personable and knowledgeable. They also had a very reasonable wine list. Unfortunately the evening was marred by a long wait to be seated–nearly 40 minutes–in spite of having a reservation. The reception group seem to think that this was just fine as a matter of course even when it was clear that we were very unhappy–– There is a small bar and wait area and one might have thought that after half hour so something would be provided as I made clear that this was a special occasion that was not going so well to the wait. I would recommend it, and try it again.Special Features:
- had to try itOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/25/2014I found the seating uncomfortable, the server inattentive, and the food was served cold. Having wood fired meats, i would have expected hot entrees. I likely won't go back.
- My love for Jose Garces continues!InsomnaKatDined on 10/25/2014Another jem by Iron Chef Jose Garces. Everything was amazing, from the Malbec butter to the veggies to meats and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aindcDined on 10/25/2014Too pricey - not enough value- but otherwise excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing MealJohnMCOVIPDined on 10/24/2014Had dinner at Rural Society with a group of friends (8 of us) and everyone really enjoyed their meal - from appetizers, through desert, every course was amazingly delicious. The octopus appetizer and mushroom side are not to be missed. An absolute treat - great food in a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/24/2014Zoe was our waitress and she was great. Good food and El Diablo margarita rounded the meal out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014We were from out of town and looking for a great place to eat for dinner. What a pleasant surprise it was to find a restaurant with fabulous food and friendly wait staff. We had the pizza and the cookie dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unapologetically CarnivorousRileyVIPDined on 10/22/2014The meat dishes were all they were cracked up to be -- and that short rib was especially tasty. Nice side order options, and well worth several return visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too slow to be seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014I booked a reservation 2 weeks in advance and required a private room. when I got there, it took them 30 minutes to seat us and they did not even put us in a private room. After the seating, everything at the restaurant was excellent
- Needs work but has potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/22/2014Still working on service - although everyone was very friendly and extremely polite and pleasant I was left standing at the front desk when nobody was there to greet new arrivals;the server didn't understand our order and didn't put everything in. The white wine was going off a bit (from the temperature you could tell it hadn't been stored properly), and even though the menu looks great, the food was different from what I expected. Many things have cream or cheese in them, from the sweet potatoes to the stuffed tenderloin. If you have allergies ask lots of questions.The bread and condiments were excellent!Special Features:
- great for breakfast, too!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2014i don't think most people come here for breakfast, since it's known for its meat, but rural society was perfectly fine and well-priced for breakfast, which is good for people staying in the hotel to know. the bacon that came with my eggs was really amazing, some of the best i've ever had, though i wasn't surprised. i love the dark wood and the decor, and the service was nice. looking forward to trying this place again!Special Features:
- Great for special occasionStrollerDined on 10/21/2014Superb beef. Luncheon menu very limited. Decor minimalist, hence noisy when not even full.Special Features:
- Overpriced mediocre foodGTHCVIPDined on 10/20/2014The food was just ok, and since it is so expensive, I wouldn't recommend it. There are better places to go in DC for the same price or even cheaper. Spend your money on something that actually deserves it.
- Incredible food!Mir84Dined on 10/19/2014My boyfriend and I had dinner at Rural Society for his 30th birthday, and we couldn't be happier. We ordered the $75 tasting menu and the food was phenomenal, the service was great, and we enjoyed the extensive wine selection. The restaurant is pricey but if you are looking for a place to go for a special occasion, I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!!AureliaVIPDined on 10/19/2014The restaurant has great food and amazing service.Special Features:
- A Niche BoothBeasyWeasyDined on 10/19/2014We were a party of 4 - our two college aged teens and us. We were given one of the 'niche booths' which had a view to the outside seating area and the other side open to the restaurant - quiet but not cut off from the hustle and bustle of the restaurant. Initially we were given the brunch menu, but we wanted steak and without any fuss we were handed the lunch menu. The food and service was excellent. Highlight - the steak lovers amongst us had the chefs signature steak.Special Features:
- slow service, mediocre meataaronhDined on 10/19/2014The service here was very slow, almost half an hour just to get water. When the food came, the steak, the reason to eat at an Argentine-style parilla restaurant, was average, lukewarm with little flavor. It was dressed in a chimichurri that was dried out, as if the dish had been sitting under a heat lamp for a while.
- Great place for brunchAsolerwDined on 10/19/2014We enjoyed Sunday brunch. We made a reservation through Open Table on Saturday and were very pleased when they walked was to our table in a semi private room, it was great. Food was delicious. We started with salmon ahumado and facturas. My husband had the steak and eggs and I had the fogazza. Food was wonderful, service not the greatest.Special Features:
- confusedjrpearDined on 10/18/2014different waiters helping our table, not knowing what others have done, confusing our orders, forgetting our wine and not bringing us bread we had requested until the check arrived at the end of the meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingron1Dined on 10/18/2014i made a reservation, but couldn't get in until 9:15 on a saturday night. then i had to wait after that for about 15 minutes or longer to get a seat. the hostesses were not very attentive at first, but one finally got me a table on the outside, in a plastic covered room. but that was ok. the problem then was that it took way too long to get my order in. then especially way too long to get the food to the table. when i got it, i was disappointed, but realized later i had probably ordered the wrong beef item, as it was fat-lined, chewy and really not good, and it cost $40. had i gotten in on time, had good service and ordered a different dish, i believe i would have liked the place.Special Features:
- The steak is the best part.SaraDined on 10/18/2014We were excited to try rural society because my husband is a huge fan of whiskey village in Philly- same chef, I think. Overall we liked rural society, but we won't rush back. The steak and sausage we ordered were excellent, and so was the Argentinian wine. However, sides we ordered were not great. The octopus was not very tasty, and the acorn squash was hard. The Brussel sprouts were decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool restaurantTgoldVIPDined on 10/18/2014This is a cool restaurant with excellent food. The proveleta, beef empanada, and chorizo were all excellent starters. The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is that I personally don't care for the grass fed ribeye. It's too lean and for me, this takes away some of the character of the ribeye. It was cooked and seasoned perfectly and the sides were amazing. But I would much rather have the American corn fed prime beef at Bourbon steak... Nice liquor selection and some nice wines. This is a restaurant worth checking out for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indifferent ServiceDiningElsewhereVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food was very good except for being consistently over salted. The service was uneven. At times, some of the staff were attentive. But at other times, there either was no one around or those who were around apparently had something to do more important than waiting on tables. It should not take 30 minutes to receive and pay the check.
- Good FoodFoodandatmospherelovetDined on 10/15/2014Food is great...service is good....but... Really atmosphere is nonexistant, tables and booths look cheap.If you pay $45 the entree and $12 for an appetizer and $11 for a side of vegetables or potatoes ( small portions) and are expected to be happy on a basic almost cafeteria like table and chair, bright glaring lights , Reviews had been wonderfull in Washington Post saying you forget it is in a Hotel. Well this is not true, it is for people who come in and iut of the city want a good meal with fast service and do not care about nice tables. not a place for celebrating a Special occasion, too bad because food is good but most people there were on business working on their Iphones. Not a romantic place at all. But food & service are good.Special Features:
- Super nice breakfastDCFrostyVIPDined on 10/15/2014It's hard to find an upscale place for breakfast during the week, but Rural Society was perfect, especially if you like steak and eggs. I also enjoy a latte in the mornings and Rural Society fit the bill. I was there with a group of friends, including some from out of town, and the restaurant was not crowded at 10am in the morning so it was quiet. Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Great locationEpicureanDined on 10/12/2014Read about this new place and was intrigued. Thought it would be great to celebrate anniversary. Hostesses took quite some time to acknowledge our presence. Attendant was great, knowledgeable though he didn't offer to share info about the food on menu except when asked even though we said this was our first visit and hadn't experienced the cuisine from Argentina. Steak was heavily seasoned and a bit chewy. The best thing on the menu was Grilled Mushrooms. Very tasty. Seafood choice was okay. Attendant very graciously listened to our concerns and offered a complimentary glass of wine. Nice atmosphere. I might be tempted to give this restaurant another try after some of their kinks are worked out but probably not for a special occasion.
- InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/12/2014The ribeye was cooked unevenly (half was medium rare and half was medium well). To be fair, the sweetbreads were some of the best I've had.
- Special night outNotgr8Dined on 10/12/2014Shared Birthday dinner. We both enjoyed La Pardilla and wine flight. The dishes were served family style. The Chiefs selections were excellent and had a wonderful array of flavors which were completed by the various wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Waiter was rude and we were always missing something at our table. Half the table got their food and the other half had to wait another 15 minutes for their food.
- Amazing Argentinian inspired meal!MattVIPDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I wanted to celebrate our 5th (wood) anniversary with a special brunch at a place known for it's wood decor, and had heard great things about Rural Society. All of the accolades are richly deserved, and we will definitely be back with friends and family for dinner in the near future. Every aspect of our meal was perfect, from the excellent host (manager?) who seated us in this extremely cool mini-room facing the kitchen and wished us a happy anniversary, through the perfectly prepared and timed meal (we tried a bit of everything), and our amazing server who finished our brunch with a delicious dulce de leche flan with mango ice cream! We can't wait to go back...Special Features:
- Excellent food but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014The steak was outstanding but waiter pushed us to order multiple "small plates." In fact, the portions were quite large. We enjoyed the food but felt a little ripped off.Special Features:
- Chef's Tasting MenuwinemagnetDined on 10/9/2014So many grand sounding items on the menu, the best way to taste a large array is through the tasting menu. Apps, salads, sides and entrees were all exemplary, with as professional service as I've had anywhere in D.C.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive with relaxed ambianceneuro14VIPDined on 10/9/2014An argentinian that of course specializes in steak but also has lots of other choices including a couple of square pizza offerings. The appetizers were fun and the ambiance pleasant. Service was good but not as attentive as I would have expected at this price point -- it is quite expensive -- I would say the steaks get a 50% premium over similar stuff in less posh parts of town. This restaurant is attached to one of the upscale hotels.Special Features:
- Sad slippagechismeVIPDined on 10/8/2014After a spectacular restaurant Week dinner, I returned for a business lunch some six weeks later. What happened? Despite few patrons, service was slow and incompetent. And the food was so-so. Why was the provoleta cold and hardened? Was it made in advance and allowed to sit until the rest of the meal was ready? And why no dedicated bread and sauces for the dish? Waygu empanada was divine but the only good thing we ate. And what made the waiter recommend the $42 bife chorizo for lunch? Annoying. The whole experience made me sorry I'd gone back.
- at last Argentine food in DCGlobalDinerDined on 10/7/2014Being from BsAs it is easy to compare Argentine food here and there. The here compares very favorably with the there. Yes, there are some fusion items on the list and some variations on some standards, but in general eating at Rural Society gives an authentic experience. The meats are excellent, the sausages authentic. Plan to return several times to experience the entire range of the menu.Special Features:
- Not so hot.sharjohnVIPDined on 10/7/2014After the restaurant got a glowing review from the Washington Post, my husband wanted to celebrate his birthday at Rural Society. Although the food was of excellent quality, it took over 45 minutes to arrive and only one dish was hot. After complaining about the tepid food, the manager significantly reduced our bill.Special Features:
- Delicious!ClaudiaDined on 10/5/2014What a wonderful time my family and I had at this wonderful restaurant! The food was delicious, the services was excellent, the ambiance was perfect. We loved every single dish we tried. The empanadas, the stake, the salad, the pastries...brunch was amazing. We'll be back to taste the dinner menu!Special Features: