1177 15th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
ArgentineanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Madison-Hotel/dining/Garces
- Phone: 2025872629x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday
Happy Hour: 4pm - 6pm
Dinner: 5pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, Steakhouse, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jose Garces
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: M Street
- Public Transit: Rural Society is located a few blocks from both the Farragut North station on the Red line and the McPherson Sq station on the Orange and Blue lines of the DC Metro.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet for the first two hours of dining. Drop off is directly in front of the Loews Madison Hotel.
A word from Rural Society
Rural Society is a contemporary Argentine steakhouse from nationally renowned master of Latin cuisine Chef Jose Garces. Inspired by his travels to South America, Rural Society is at once rustic and luxurious, bringing the energy and sophistication of Buenos Aires to Washington. Our menu and primarily South American wine list, combined with our warm hospitality and welcoming décor, transport you far from the bustle of the District to the sweeping cattle ranches and grill-fired kitchens of Argentina.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rural Society reviews from OpenTable diners
247 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (149)special occasion (112)notable wine list (70)romantic (68)good for groups (66)hot spot (63)vibrant bar scene (39)neighborhood gem (38)great for lunch (35)great for outdoor dining (29)late-night find (13)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (2)Show More
- Dinner for 4 Sunday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014The good part: the food, especially the steaks and empanadas, is absolutely outstanding. The Argentinian wines are excellent. The bad part: the chairs are extremely inhospitable to any sort of leisurely dining and have a very uncomfortable back to them. The service is good but not great. Despite being attentively served by two persons during the evening, there were some really notable gaps when no one was to be found. Also, we were disappointed to receive our three potato dishes after we finished our steaks, especially since it was a Sunday night and not that busy. Given that all items are pricey and a la carte, this definitely detracted from our enjoyment of our meal.Special Features:
- Great new place in DC!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014We found this place online based on good reviews. We showed up early and took advantage of the great bars in the hotel lobby. Based on a recommendation from the sommelier, we ordered a bottle of Malbec that paired well with our meal and was reasonably priced. The argula salad with fig was perfectly dressed and delicious. The empanadas were so good they reminded me my grandmothers cooking. My steak came out a little under cooked, but it tasted so good that I didn't even think to send it back. Apparently our waiter thought our food came out too slowly (we didn't notice) that he gave us free desserts and a glass of wine; all of which were amazing. We're definitely going back and plan to take our friends to this great new place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/27/2014Having been to all of the Garces restaurants in Philly, I was looking forward to this new restaurant in DC. Very disappointed with the overall experience. The service was poor, the person who took out order was not attentive and customer service/ experience was non-existent. The items on the menu were far from what was described. case in point, "Asado Mixto - a selection of grilled meats" turned out to be 3 sausages. Having lived in Argentina, I can honestly say that "a selection of grilled meats" does not constitute 3 sausages. I must however say that the Manager was co-operative and understanding and did comp our meal. I will go back to try their dinner menu but it will take some convincing to go back to DC specifically for this.Special Features:
- Great introduction to DC food sceneFrogmama02Dined on 9/26/2014We were here on our first night in DC and it did not disappoint! We had the $75 Argentinian Sampler and were amazed with almost every dish put before us. Great wine selection and very knowledgeable staff. Great date spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food overcome by noiseDCPattieVIPDined on 9/26/2014Six of us: 4 meat eaters, 2 fish only. Service & food wonderful, from appetizers through the pasta to the main dishes of 3 kinds of steaks for some, and lobster & trout for others. Only food complaint: so much salt used that three of us had swollen ankles the next day. Particularly enjoyed the vegetables: roasted carrots with some sort of special lemony sauce, and creamy potatoes with cheese. My real complaint: noise. Sietsema says in 9/28 review that conversation is easy. NOT SO. It was hard for the six of us to hear each other, & it got really bad when 10 VERY LOUD young women were seated next to us. It was so bad that I would have second thoughts about going there again.Special Features:
- Disappointed across the boardRedBeardVIPDined on 9/26/2014Wine: the wine list had mislabeled wines and incorrect vintages. Fairly weak wine list. We had to send the wine glasses back because they were dirty. Food: The proveleta was cooked in cast iron, not on a grill like it should be. The steak was tasty, but it came sliced on a beat up wooden cutting board, which is both inauthentic and undesirable (for me). The flan was delicious, but small. Overall the prices were simply too high for what you get. Service: fair. The waiter and somm seemed a bit bothered by our wine complaints, and overall lacked the finishing touches that I would expect at that price. I might give them a second chance, but the steakhouse competition in DC is fierce and I didn't think RS stands up.
- R225Dined on 9/26/2014exceptional wagyu steak. Absolutely superlative. Although not cheap, the wagyu steak is probably the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable EveningidearrVIPDined on 9/24/2014Restaurant has a few semi-private booths that are nicely lit and quiet. They were very good about accommodating my specific table request. Waiter and servers very attentive. Appetizer sausage delicious, empandana bit of a miss, too much spinach for me. Lamb chops and steak were superb. Two of the three diners sent their meat entree back for just a tad more cooking, but that went quickly and was more a matter of personal taste than any failing on the restaurant's part. Appetizer and sides portions are not huge. We were comped a very nice desert sampler - not sure if they do that for everyone or if it had to do with the entree fixup, but much appreciated and left us with a very positive feeling about the evening.
- gspiceyVIPDined on 9/22/2014Great ambiance and feel with a focus on wood fired meats. The downside is the chicken sandwich didn't pop or have a unique twist, and they messed up the bill twice (charging us for another table first, then overcharging us on one of the dishes versus what was listed on the menu).Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014We had dinner last week at Rural Society to celebrate my friends Birthday....was an exceptional dinner and evening...food was spectacular.......Special Features:
- carnivore paradiseCfmjDined on 9/20/2014excellent overall. service was a bit patchy at first but after the waiters had sorted out who will look after us, we were in heaven. the parilla is fab way to savor all the kitchen has to offer and from starters to the pasta and the obviously the meat, there was nothing we would not eat again. the wine list is incredible and the waiters are really top notch when it comes to recommending wines. Overall please don't go otherwise I may not get a table anymore!Special Features:
- Amazing experienceWDCexplorerDined on 9/19/2014Dinner at Rural Society was an extraordinary experience: the food was perfect, the service excellent and the atmosphere as authentic as one can probably get in this part of the world. I am originally form Uruguay, and grew up with this food almost every day; many memories were brought back. From appetizer to dessert, everything was perfection. Outstanding job!!Special Features:
- Fantastic Service!!!!Blondie2846VIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was quite good - similar to Del Campo. I would say more inventive, so some things were better than others. We did the tasting menu - great way to try a bunch of things and we were happy with majority of them. There is a lot of food though - so the $75 or $95 price tag is warranted. The service was impeccable though, and really made the dinner. Our server had a great personality and really went the extra mile to make sure our dinner was special, and we had everything we needed. Timing was great (although we aren't the kind of people that like to finish a dinner out in less than an hour and a half). The atmosphere was great, partly due to the service. I would definitely recommend this place!Special Features:
- nickDined on 9/15/2014Excellent food and appetizers, however it is pricey! I had the Lamb chops that were the best i have ever had. My wife had the Ravioli from the Tapas menu and thought it was excellent as well. Extensive wine list from South America that was reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarians need not dine hereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014I am not a red meat eater but can almost always find veggies, chix or fish to satisfy my hunger. I chose lobster - it was a smushy mess. Overseasoned too. The sweet potatoes were served in a black cast iron dish. Unpleasant aftertaste from whatever was previously cooked in the dish. The drinks were amazing. Skipped dessert.
- Good. That's it.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014The food and drinks were good, but there is better beef elsewhere in the city. For example, Fogo de Chao and Texas de Brazil. The evening I ate there, accompanied by my wife and another couple, there was a smoke issue in the kitchen, which caused flooding, incessant alarms, and brought out the fire department. To their credit, our server, Michael J, and the manager, Adam, were apologetic, and our check was half- comped. If I return, it will be for lunch.
- Welcome NewcomerYUMMYTUMMYVIPDined on 9/13/2014Overall both food and service were very good. The saffron taglierini was good but lacked any saffron flavor is grossly overpriced for the very small portion you receive. The wine list is interesting with many pricey bottles but you can find a good wine in the mid $40 range (the least expensive). A weak spot in the service is too aggressively pouring the wine, both by our server and a manager who stopped by our table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014My husband and I dined at Rural Society to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary. The experience was more than we hoped for. We did the expensive tasting menu, which included many courses and 4 different wines. The tasting menu was "chef's choice." I gave them a couple of foods I wouldn't eat. We got a couple of things that weren't my favorite, but husband worked on those. T here was certainly plenty of food and all of it was excellent. Among the items were Kobi beef, lamb chops, roasted red peppers, 1/2 lobster. The wines were wonderful. I liked 3 of them a lot and my husband liked all 4. Service was excellent. Dinner took 3 hours, but we hardly noticed. We sat outside where it was quieter than inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat rural!DiningDanVIPDined on 9/12/2014Although we had to wait a bit for our table despite a reservation (they comped us a bottle of wine for the wait-a nice touch), everything else was great. Chorizo sausage was a great item to split as an appetizer. Steaks were very good. Definitely a place we'll go back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoping for moreFTS4Dined on 9/12/2014Having visited other Garces restaurants I was hoping his DC location would be as good as his others. I have to say the service was not up to par, we were seated at 8:20 (reservation time was 8:15) and our food did not arrive until 10:10pm. We did have an appetizer course but the delay between courses was unacceptable. My steak was tough as was my wife's. The empanadas were very tasty.
- New Favorite RestaurantMPzDCDined on 9/12/2014Outstanding food, from the first course to dessert. The empanadas were incredible and the alfajores are the best in town. Service was superlative as well.Special Features:
- Fresh, Amazing food, Terrible ServDCFoodieDined on 9/11/2014Bread basket - Amazing; beef empanadas - delicious; crab canelloni- must have; service - horrible. One of the servers was literally sticking her hand into our table to tell another table next to us what we were having; when the other table asked the server a question after the server had walked away, the server literally SHOUTED OVER US to answer their question. And our server had a weird, sarcastic personality that missed the mark with my friend and I. It's a new restaurant, so I'm hoping these are growing pains, because the restaurant is steps away from my apartment and a great place for a weeknight dinner/drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much overratedAdequateVIPDined on 9/11/2014Between the four of us at dinner we tried nearly every cut of meat offered and were routinely disappointed. If a cut seemed promising the overwhelming amount of salt put on by the chef ruined any real meat taste. Too bad. Could have potential.
- Wonderfully DifferentJaguar1Dined on 9/9/2014This is a great alternative to the typical DC steakhouse. We did an all-appetizer meal, which was more than filling and included samples of their delicious grilled meats. Interesting wine list (again, not typical) and GREAT service, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceCMikeandDebiDined on 9/6/2014Excellent and somewhat exotic choice of entrees and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced with poor serviceStephenVIPDined on 9/5/2014We made the mistake of ordering the expensive Chef's Tasting Menu, which bills itself as an Argentine-style Parrilla. I lived in Uruguay for four years and traveled to Argentina about 40 times, so I know what we should have gotten; we did not get it. While we did get a chorizo and some steak, we also got a dish of beets in an orange sauce, over-salted potatoes in a cheese sauce, a small overcooked lobster (there is no lobster in Argentina), and a seafood pasta dish. Service was inattentive: for example, I never got the black pepper I requested and I had to ask three times to get more chimichuri. I came once before for Restaurant Week and was pleased with the food. This time was a disappointment.
- OMG!! Absolutely delicious!FoodGirlVIPDined on 9/2/2014The prices are definitely high but it's clear with every bite that only the finest quality ingredients are used and masters prepare them. There is a broad selection of small plates. The red peppers, mushrooms, and braised octopus are especially good. Meat is the star of the show. The portions are nicely sized to be indulgent, but not gut busting. Everything we 4 had was perfectly cooked and so tasty! Sides are ordered separately and that leads to my one complaint. Our sides were excellent (the potatoes!) and of a size to be shared by 2 or 3, but you more or less have to order at least one because the meat entrees come alone. Nothing else is on the plate but meat. You'll be happy you went and want to go again, but it's expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had dinner with familyoolafDined on 9/1/2014Wonderful dinner, food was delicious, staff was accommodating. Adam was a charming managerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoycebDined on 8/31/2014This was a great find for us. Sean and Wilbur were our wait staff. Sean made excellent suggestions for wine and small plates. We really enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food starts with greatservicejoeyDined on 8/31/2014Our waiters recommendations, were perfect. A perfect dinner made possible by our waiter. he did everything right and at the right time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every wayGoodEaterDined on 8/30/2014Came for hubby's birthday... Had a blast! Excellent service provided by Dinesh and the service team. For dinner the breads and accompaniments, the beef empanadas and beef and pork sausage were super delicious!! The dinner that followed was mouthwatering as well: I got the pitch abba steak and hubby got the Uruguayan ribeye, we share the wild mushrooms and roasted potatoes ....my hubby is super picky and he also loved everything! For dessert we got the chocolate cake who was yummy and the crete brûlée which was mind blowing! we are coming back soon and often! I am so happy I picked this place for his birthday dinner. Next time we will request a secluded booth, but this time we enjoyed ourselves n the main back room near the wine room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Real DealLeendaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our group of 5 diners enjoyed dinner at Rural Society on Saturday night. We had all been to Argentina on multiple occasions, and 1 of us is Argentine. We found the food to be authentic and of high quality, although the lamb sweetbreads were very different from the usual beef - a little gamier, but still delicious (and not for everyone in the party). We had at least 1 selection from every section of the menu and there were many other choices we will have to return to experience. Highlights were the octopus, fugazza-style pizza, short ribs, french fries, house-made chorizo, and the excellent wine selection. Servers were informed and attentive. We definitely plan to enjoy future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and underwhelmingFoodie428VIPDined on 8/30/2014For these prices you expect outstanding food and service. Our waiter was clueless. Four of us each ordered the Bife. He struggled to get the concept that we each wanted a different degree of doneness. Finally the steaks arrived and they got them all mixed up and we the patrons had to sort it out and were left with one over cooked steak that we sent back. When they brought out the replacement it was the wrong steak. Final replacement arrived as the other three were finishing. The steaks themselves were tasty but over-salted as were the mixed mushrooms. Also the steaks arrive on a wooden plank already sliced. I like to see and cut my own steak. The argentine "pizza" was less than memorable - very doughy and nothing like you get in BA.
- Authentic evening at Rural Society!h8tobboredDined on 8/30/2014We dined at Rural Society looking forward to refreshing our acquaintance with Argentinian food after a trip last November that included Buenos Aires. We enjoyed our dinner greatly, from the bread basket through the appetizers and the entrees. Since we're from Iowa, we were pleased that the chef is also from there, and has included Iowa pork on the menu. The trout was especially good, and we were pleased with the variety of offerings - and that mate is available!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Argentinian in DC!UctpasaDined on 8/30/2014I had not found a restaurant where I could eat like in Buenos Aires until I ate here. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just not goodMatthewDined on 8/29/2014Overpriced and not good. Can't believe I cancelled a Fiola Mare reservation for this. Worst steak I've ever had, too.Special Features:
- Really bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/27/2014over-priced steak and bad service with a very loud noise level. not going back!
- Argentina ExcellenceKAD1Dined on 8/23/2014An amazing dining experience, Great food, wine, and service set in a fantastic environment created a truly memorable experience. Everything tasted wonderful and I can't wait to try more of the menu.Special Features:
- MESEDined on 8/22/2014Even though the food was good and the service outstanding the prices are outrageous. In addition, the amount of food served it is not commesurate to the price charged. I had friends from out of town whom asked for recommendations and I regret having recommended this restaurant to them and pay for such an outrageous bill.Special Features:
- good choice-expensive-so-so serviceMaureenDined on 8/22/2014location OK- good ambiance, food good but not excellent. excellent menu.SO MANY EMPLOYEES-WHAT DO THEY DO.... very expensive for what was delivered. Argentine name and reputation is the drawing card. Certainly not what one would get in Argentina. Some sides should be included with entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.