119 Main St
Bar Harbor, ME 04609Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rupununi.com/
- Phone: 2072882886
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Cassady Pappas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rupununi
We have the best Maine seafood and great fish specials everyday. We have pasta, we have steak. We have the best selection of single malt scotch, hard-to-get cigars, microbrews, and wine around. Even though we have all of the accoutrements of a highbrow restaurant, we welcome families and have a children's menu. We serve from 11 AM until Midnight every day, and in season there is a late night menu available until the bar closes at 1 AM. Reservations aren't necessary, but are welcome, and are recommended for groups of 6 or more. You may be wondering, what exactly is "Rupununi?" Rupununi is a river that runs through Guyana in South America. The proprietor traveled through the area and down the river doing a census of the pink river dolphins that inhabit the Amazon basin for his undergraduate thesis. He thought the area was as beautiful and magical as MDI. Don't ask how he ended up in the restaurant business, he isn't sure himself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rupununi reviews from OpenTable diners
- We were at the end of thegolfeuseVIPDined on 10/25/2013We were at the end of the season. It explains the lack of ambiance...Special Features:
- Good food and generous portionsDebFromCTDined on 8/10/2013The food was good and the portions were generous, however the service could have been better. We waited a long time for our appetizers and after ordering our drinks and food the waitress never checked on us. Shortly after getting our appetizers the entrees were ready so we had to eat everything at once. I must note that the person delivering the food did apologize and asked before bringing the entrees out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre food, but it's foodSouthslopeVIPDined on 7/30/2013since it is impossible to find a restaurant open past 10 PM in Bar Harbor, we went to Rupunumi where you can eat until 1 AM. the food was edible but nothing at all remarkable. The best thing was the drinks which were good and stroNG.Special Features:
- Good Food in Bar HarborOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/14/2013Ate at Rupununi after an all day hike in Acadia. Menu was relatively large, food was good. Filled me up. Ate on the back patio. Ideal weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We opted for burgers as theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2012We opted for burgers as the other main course dishes seemed expensive. Portions were large. Definitely not somewhere to linger over a bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Food ratings ran the gamut.dollygVIPDined on 8/25/2012Food ratings ran the gamut. One of our party thoroughly enjoyed the surf and turf. I ordered the stew which was awful. It was way too sweet- overpowered by coconut and the seafood portion was paltry. The service was disordered. If you want a good experience, order simply- fried foods, burgers, steak are good choices. Avoid anything esoteric.Special Features:
- This restaurant is owned byOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/15/2012This restaurant is owned by the same person that owns Havana and Guiness and Porcelli's. We went to all three. The other two were good in all aspects. The owner should either get a new chef or sell Rupununi. My wife ordered a Hanger Steak and Lobster dish. The steak was requested medium...we got it well done. We then requested it medium rare...we got it rare.
- My wife and I had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2012My wife and I had a great evening and the service was excellent. I had ordered flowers from Open Table and the wait staff handled them with care and discretely delivered them after we were settled in to our table. The outdoor dining is located where one can watch the people walking around Bar Harbor.Special Features:
- Michelle's Fine Dining calledActonDadVIPDined on 8/8/2012Michelle's Fine Dining called us at 6 to cancel our 6:30 Open Table reservation for 5 to accommodate a larger party. Don't trust your reservations with them. Rupunini was able to seat us at 7. We were really surprised by the quality of the food and the competency of the waitstaff. Fresh, fun food and friendly environment. Great for families and friends.Special Features:
- My experience wasn't so good.RoadWarriorVIPDined on 7/30/2012This may be an excellent restaurant on another day, but my experience was not so good. Service was very slow, my colleagues's Lobster was cold and rubbery and my filet was over cooked and I had to send it back. I would not chance this restaurant again.
- Kind of a typical vacationlandPenfieldMikeDined on 7/5/2012Kind of a typical vacationland restaurant. Tight seating, prices higher than the food quality would dictate, and loud. That they take Open Table is the plus because it made it the place to choose at a busy time.
- The clam chowder, steamedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/16/2011The clam chowder, steamed lobster and blueberry pie were all excellent, and that was my primary reason for going. The crab cakes were very tasty, but a bit small. The corn and rice and mussels were all very subpar, disappointing given the other parts of the meal.
- Finding Rupununu was likeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2011Finding Rupununu was like a great blind date - not knowing what to expect but having high hopes fully realized. Being from out of town I checked online and liked Rupununu's site. One great feature is making a reservation/confirmation online in just a couple of minutes. The atmosphere is attractive and relaxed. Luncheon menu choices are varied and tempting and what we selected was unanimously delicious for the four of us - each having different entree. We ate outdoors on a perfect day for it. The service was good even though it was very busy. We'd definitely come again. Would like to check out the evening scene, too, at Rupununu. Where did the name come from?Special Features: