1030 Water Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rumpusroommke.com/
- Phone: (414) 292-0100
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Thursday 4pm to 9pm
Saturday and Sunday 4pm to midnight
Sunday to Thursday 5pm to 9pm
Saturday and Sunday 5pm to 10pm*
*Kitchen stays open 30 min after curtain at the Marcus Center
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Guy Davies
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rumpus Room
Rumpus Room is a great restaurant with some great tap beers and a huge whiskeyContinued
selection set in a beautiful room.
selection set in a beautiful room.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Rumpus Room - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Rumpus Room reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)vibrant bar scene (60)good for groups (46)special occasion (41)hot spot (29)neighborhood gem (22)late-night find (18)romantic (17)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (10)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great food, quick serviceWIfoodieDined on 11/24/2014We let them know that we were going to a basketball game after dinner and they brought our food quickly. The burger was excellent. My favorite item was the flat bread of the day. It has was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food OKDixieDined on 11/16/2014Our server was outstanding. Very friendly, knowledgable and provided just enough attention throughout our meal. I had the "shiparski" burger because it looked interesting on the menu. However it was very difficult to eat. Saw someone at next table who ordered it and had the same problem. Piled too high on such a small bun. It fell apart when held, became messy and needed knife and fork to eat it. Not how I like to eat my burgers. Also fries that came with it were warm when served but became cold and tasteless within a few minutes. My companion ordered the Farro which was very good. Drinks were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedKtsockiDined on 11/16/2014The food and drinks were decent, nothing to write home about. We were one of the first tables to be seated in the dining room so service should have been expeditious, however there were a lot of lags. Drinks took at least 10 minutes, entrees at least 40, and payment wasn't very smooth. Definitely not a horrible experience, but not one I'll be rushing back for again either.
- Incredibly long waitAArndt2219Dined on 11/14/2014We arrived at 6 p.m. on a Friday night. Our reservation was for 6:15. We were seated promptly and were served our drinks and appetizers in a reasonable amount of time. Our dinner, however, was not served until 7:25. We needed to get to a show that began at 8 p.m. The food was pretty good, but we had to devour it in ten minutes in order to get to the show. There were other groups at the restaurant that did not wait for their food and left just before we were served. We were just about to join them when our food arrived. I realized that Friday night is a busy night, but there really was no explanation as to why our food was so late in arriving. Very disappointed after looking forward to this all week.
- Too quick and too noisyeatouterVIPDined on 11/14/2014Food very good, but meal not well paced — not enough time allowed to elapse between courses. Also, the noise level was very high — interfered with conversation and with overall enjoyment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rumpus Room 11/8OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014I was disappointed with our dinner at the Rumpus Room. We had reservations for seven and were seated at a very large (too large) horseshoe shaped both. Given the size of the table and the noise level (very loud) of the restaurant, it was nearly impossible to care on a conversation. The food was mediocre. The snacks were great (cheese curds and fries) but the entrees lacked flavor. Service was less attentive than it should have been. I would recommend the Rumpus Room for snacks or lunch, but not dinner. I expected more from a Bartolotta restaurant.Special Features:
- Very Good Food but NoisytastymorselDined on 11/8/2014Beautiful restaurant, but noisy. Food is very good. Service is great and restaurant manager is terrific - very welcoming.Special Features:
- Great before a concert or MSOOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Great selection of draft and bottled micro brew beers. Tasty and creative signature drinks. Highly recommend the Cider House Flip and the Pear-ly drink. Bar is perfect for drinks and apps before dining. Recommend the Scotch Egg and the Rumpus Room cheese and sausage chefs choice platter!Special Features:
- Could do better...kadyDined on 11/7/2014Having been to several of the other Bartalotta's restaurants, I thought Rumpus Room would be a few steps higher in terms of food quality. We had a group of 8 adults dining, which was accommodated just fine in terms of seating. A few of us ordered the braised pork shoulder which was ok but nothing to write home about. The sweet potato mash that was under my pork was on the colder side and my pork shoulder had quite a bit of fat in it. Several of the guys at our table ordered burgers and they all complained that their food was cold. The restaurant was not tremendously busy for a Friday night, but the place was very loud. Service was ok - nothing special. Would I return? Maybe, but none of us would go running back.Special Features:
- FRANCIS13Dined on 11/7/2014Tables too close together - felt uncomfortable - I wish the server was better versed on beer selection . Food was good nothing over the top- overall okay experience .Special Features:
- Great Dinner OutMilwaukeeDined on 11/4/2014Took the family out for a birthday dinner. The service was great from the start. The server ask if we were there for a show ( quick two course meal options are on the back of the menu). We were not and ordered drinks and appetizers. Classic appetizers with some fun items mixed in. We all ordered a house specialty. Pork shoulder with sweet potatoes and a side of brussel sprouts is highly recommended. Reasonable pricing is also a bonus. Will visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Time!RobbieDined on 11/1/2014The food was fantastic! My wife and I had an excellent time! Our waitress, Lauren, was super attentive and cheerful! We have spent more money in other places with far less satisfaction! We will definitely go back there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mix of pub and restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014As nice as the other Bartolotta restaurants are, sometimes we're just in the mood for something a little less formal but with the same level of quality and attention to detail. The Rumpus Room offers that perfect mix. In a pub atmosphere, we found a long beer and wine list along with creative and unique appetizers and entrees. Service was at the same, high Bartolotta standard. A great, relaxing anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014For me bartolatta restaurants I either love or could do without. Harbor House is my favorite. Rumpus Room is now also on my favorite list. First time having dinner, but have enjoyed the amazing bar selection on a few previous occasions. Beer cheese soup was perfection as well as our other appetizers. I am a vegetarian and had two options (standard for nicer restaurants) and I went with the grilled cheese as the farro did not look appetizing to me. My grilled cheese was just ok. You could taste the great quality cheese but it was a bit burned and greasy. Not sure what more you could really expect from a grilled cheese. I love the décor and ambiance. Server was really kind and I got an AMAZING birthday dessert. Will go back!Special Features:
- Terrible Pre Ballet ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014An hour and twenty minutes should be enough time for two people to have a light dinner before the ballet. We ordered two appetizers and then a salad and burger for dinner. We specifically said, "We would like to start with A, and then have B." We waited, waited, waited some more. It did not appear as if our server was serving anyone else however either. Then after waiting almost 20 minutes we were brought everything at once. The fries that came with the burger were cold. My apple salad with ham used to be a favorite of mine, but perhaps they were running low in the kitchen because it was tiny, tiny, although delicious. Something needs to be done about the service though. This person hadn't a clue.
- food=good, service=poortryingnewplacesDined on 10/29/2014This place wasn't up to what I have come to expect from a restaurant in the family of restaurants. The service was consistent. By consistent, I mean consistently slow. According to our server, the wine list was undergoing an overhaul. We ordered the 6 year aged cheddar as an appetizer...they were out of it. No service recovery. Generally speaking the food good to very good.Special Features:
- Great bar & ambience, limited menuMidwestTravelerVIPDined on 10/29/2014Rumpus Room is a great, dark wood paneled restaurant with an old world feel. They have a very good bar, and I had a very well made Manhattan. For a genuine cocktail, this is one of the best locations in Milwaukee. The interior of the restaurant is terrific. Dark wood walls. Milk glass fixtures. Incandescent lights. Gives the entire space a cozy feel. My only down mark for the restaurant is that the food menu is very small. The food is locally grown, great tasting and well presented...just wish there were more options. We were with a group and there were a few folks that ended up with salads for lack of other options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/Service/AmbianceFoodycatDined on 10/28/2014My husband and I chose Rupus Room because of the proximity to Pabst Theater event we were attending. We are so glad we made that choice! We were hesitant because of the small food selection; however, the restaurant more than met our expectations. The food, service and ambiance were great. The steak sandwich was seasoned to perfection! The experience helped contribute to a great date night. We will definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarveloustrysomethingnewDined on 10/25/2014My Dad and I chose Rumpus Room based on location to The Rep, and because I had a gift card. The noise level was much more energetic than we had hoped, but our table near the window was a treat. The waiter was friendly, patient, and prompt. He gave us recommendations, and he was correct; the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Great before SHOW!MsmackayDined on 10/24/2014We went to Rumpus Room and then to a show at the Uihlein Theater in downtown Milwaukee. It is right across the street from the theater and extremely convenient. Food was great. We will DEFINITELY do again!Special Features:
- No salted pretzels!thattravelguy3956Dined on 10/20/2014With a great specialty beer list, they ran out of pretzels (not the dry salted type, but the soft, fresh baked, warm, served with brewery mustard cheese type)! They also were tapped out of 2 of the beer types I requested off their menu. May have been a random fluke, but essentially by the third time the waiter returned to say "I am sorry, we 'just' ran out" I was a bit annoyed. Burger was fair, but many are better in Milwaukee.Special Features:
- Very accommodatingalmquian2518Dined on 10/18/2014Had a fairly large group, 10 people, to celebrate my birthday. Staff was friendly and attentive. Food was all served hot and fast considering how many people we had. Have been there before and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dry cleaning needed....JonesyDined on 10/17/2014The food was great, our bartender was fab, the vibe in the place was nice. But what Rumpus Room completely lacks is ventilation. There was an overriding scent of fryer grease and smokey, over cooked something. When we left, we all smelled like we'd been eating jalapeño poppers and hot wings in the neighborhood tavern. I know they're going for English Pub, but some things are better left unreplicated. I'd just picked my coat up from the cleaner and it's headed back Monday.Special Features:
- Friendly Staff Mediocre FoodoccasionalDinerDined on 10/17/2014Immediately upon entering the bar I was greeted by a friendly employee who directed me to the restaurant host, who also welcomed us warmly and showed us to our table. In addition to the menu, we also received a printout with the seasonal selections and specials with the list of currently tapped beers. This made it easier to consider the entire variety of choices, rather than having the specials verbally listed by a server. Once we ordered, it did seem to take a long time for the food to come out of the kitchen, and when it did it was good, but not remarkable.
- Slightly disappointedFoodieDined on 10/14/2014The special request I made on open table (for our anniversary) was not fulfilled or even acknowledged, which was very disappointing. I had high expectations given we have had great experiences at other Bartolotta restaurants in Milwaukee when making similar requests through our OpenTable reservations. The kitchen staff then tried to bring our main entree out before we had even been given the 3 small bites/appetizers we ordered. They rectified this immediately, but it was clear our entrees were then just sitting back under the warmer while we ate the appetizers. (This was clearly indicated by how dry the bone-in chicken was.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-show dinnerluvtoeatinMKEDined on 10/10/2014Went to Rumpus Room for a quick dinner before a show downtown and the service and food were great. Our server kept things moving along without making us feel rushed. Though this is a more casual Bartalotta restaurant, it sacrifices none of the service you'd expect from them.Special Features:
- Roasted Chicken-MmmmmOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014Roasted chicken is perfection. Knowledgable server added to dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great and service is betterDrakonDined on 10/10/2014Great food and our server was excellent. Great place to have an early dinner befpre catching a show at the Riverside. They have a ton of craft beer to select from as well. Everything we ordered was fantastic! This is a little higher end restauraunt but unlike other places I have been to it delivers 100% with high quality food that is cooked to perfection! I will go back again and again and you will too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food fast servicepomnianDined on 10/8/2014We were in a rush and the staff was very helpful. Food was very good but not excellent, although we tried quick sandwiches type food but the entrees sounded very interesting, so probably going back to try the restSpecial Features:
- Great for pre-theater or concertNancyVIPDined on 10/4/2014The service is friendly and remarkably efficient, making the restaurant a great spot even on busy nights before concerts and theater in the Wells/Water Street area. There are lots of different options on the menu and the food is consistently well-prepared.Special Features:
- FantasticPatrickDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I ate here before going to the concert. The staff knew it was a concert night, so they were ready for the rush. The food was fantastic, our waiter was absolutely excellent(Kevin), drinks were great. We were not rushed, the food came out just the right temp, and it was great. We Would recommend this place to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014Dinner at the Rumpus Room on Saturday, 10/4, far exceeded my expectations. Everything about the experience was great. Would definitely recommend as well as return for dinner.Special Features:
- Food was okTravelDinerDined on 10/4/2014The menu is limited but the food taste and quality is good...once you get it. The server was good BUT it took over 40 minutes for us to be served once we ordered. Too long. And this was at the beginning of the night..can't imagine what it would be like with a full restaurant. Nothing special.Special Features:
- Sundays best for the Rumpus Roomcrowbar01Dined on 9/28/2014Last Sunday was quiet--perfect for people watching and celebrating an anniversary. Menu had a wide range of choices--all tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoiseDennisGDined on 9/27/2014They need some acoustic dampening to lower the noise level.Special Features:
- Safe betEpicureansDined on 9/21/2014We use this place quite a bit especially pre events like we did this Sunday,for an early bite and a drink before heading to the Pabst. Dependable is what it is, love the small share type plates and always have to have the fries. The menu has not changed much since we started coming, thats good and bad in a way, but there is a bit of variety and its always really great food and drinks, love the beer varieties. Great service, well it was quiet so no rush. Will continue to be our Go-to place.Special Features:
- Too noisy to consider returningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Although the meal was adequate, hamburgers good, menu limited, I would not consider returning. The noise level was so bad as to be uncomfortable.Special Features:
- great food okay servicefridayfunDined on 9/19/2014Ford was delicious but service was slow. My husband's order came incorrectly. When the right entree came it wasn't perfectly cooked. My food was excellent! Got a delicious free dessert for the mix up. A little too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- boquet2Dined on 9/13/2014We were running late do to freeway traffic. We called the restaurant that we would be late. They were very understanding and still kept out reservation. They also accomodated our request for prompt service as we had symphony tickets. The menu has great choices for those wanting something not filling to those whose appetite is for something more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great scallopsMusicfoodieDined on 9/13/2014The menu is best for red meat eaters. The pan-seared scallops are worth the trip though. A huge beer selection and a decent wine list. It was fairly loud and the piped in music did not match the ambiance. Close to the Marcus CPA and parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.